PDA

View Full Version : XBOX360 gets internationally connected servers

zandra117
Sep 28, 2006, 04:38 PM
http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/phantasy-star-universe/735971p1.html

GameSpy: Are there any features in PSU that will be exclusive to one platform over the others, or will all platforms get essentially the same game?
Setsumasa: Because Phantasy Star Universe will be available on all three platforms (PC, PS2, Xbox 360), each platform will essentially be the same game, but on the Xbox 360, there will be additional features via Xbox Live such as voice chat. In addition, gamers will be able to connect and play with others worldwide including Japan and Europe.

Cross
Sep 28, 2006, 04:42 PM
Hahahaha, I mean, that's kind of awesome, but how does it make sense to make the one version that's interconnected the one where you have people who not only do not understand each other, but have to not-understand-each-other over voice chat.

Oh well. They probably just sold me a copy, just for the novelty http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Edit: This interview is awesome.

GameSpy: A TV drama? Like 24 in space, only Jack Bauer is a robot?
Setsumasa: Not exactly, but you get the idea.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cross on 2006-09-28 14:44 ]</font>

Natrokos
Sep 28, 2006, 04:45 PM
I have a cousin in Ireland, maybe I can convince her to get psu...And on an entirely different note, it will be funny to get yelled at in Japanese.

Varo
Sep 28, 2006, 04:48 PM
Hmm, this is really strange. I haven't a clue why ST would do this. Well, whatever, still doesn't change the fact that I'm getting the PS2 and PC version.

foamcup
Sep 28, 2006, 05:15 PM
Yeah, get yelled at in Japanese by the one person who will purchase the 360 version over there, lol.

Losodo1976
Sep 28, 2006, 05:21 PM
I don't think that's news at all. The PC/PS2 versions will have access to Japanese and European servers so why wouldn't the 360 version (in it's own realm) be the same?

Kindaichi
Sep 28, 2006, 05:22 PM
There doing this so that the one person in japan who purchases this isnt alone lol. I actually like this...more ppl!

Itsuki
Sep 28, 2006, 05:23 PM
the PC and PS2 versions won't have access to japanese and european servers, thats why its supposed to be suprising.

This isn't exactly good though. It might cause lag if your distance away from the servers is far. Also, its kinda sad, I mean, they can't even fit the ps2 and pc players in japan on one server, but they can fit Japan, America, AND Europe on one server for xbox? XD

Losodo1976
Sep 28, 2006, 05:27 PM
On 2006-09-28 15:23, Itsuki-chan wrote:
the PC and PS2 versions won't have access to japanese and european servers, thats why its supposed to be suprising.

This isn't exactly good though. It might cause lag if your distance away from the servers is far. Also, its kinda sad, I mean, they can't even fit the ps2 and pc players in japan on one server, but they can fit Japan, America, AND Europe on one server for xbox? XD

Oh? We can't go hang out on the Japanese or European servers anymore, like PSO? I stand corrected.

That kinda blows... oh well.

Itsuki
Sep 28, 2006, 05:32 PM
Wait, let me correct that, now that I think about it. I believe America / Europe will be connected, but it'll still be seperate from Japan? Something like that. Either way, can't play with those japanese (As of now, though with the system they're currently using, it may be possible in the future). Though I will also point out that characters can't move across servers anymore. If you make a character on japanese server 1, you can't even play with people on japanese server 2.

Xx3of19xX
Sep 28, 2006, 05:43 PM
Japan included?! MEGA WOOT!!!
OMG this is so cool, finally a game where I can improve my Japanese conversation skills.
Regarding the World seperation issue, maybe Sonic Team had time to fix the issue before the game goes gold, whereas they didn't want to recall the PS2 version?

zandra117
Sep 28, 2006, 05:45 PM
On 2006-09-28 15:23, Itsuki-chan wrote:

Well its supposed to be on official xbox live servers that microsoft is lending to sega, Xbox live servers are very stable and can handle a large amount of people.

Losodo1976
Sep 28, 2006, 05:47 PM
On 2006-09-28 15:32, Itsuki-chan wrote:
Wait, let me correct that, now that I think about it. I believe America / Europe will be connected, but it'll still be seperate from Japan? Something like that. Either way, can't play with those japanese (As of now, though with the system they're currently using, it may be possible in the future). Though I will also point out that characters can't move across servers anymore. If you make a character on japanese server 1, you can't even play with people on japanese server 2.

Ah, well at least I can still go to Europe! If we are separated from the JP servers at least we have Europe. I did learn alot of Japanese back through the many incarnations of PSO starting on the DC. I'll miss that if we can't go to Japan in PSU. It definately was a little laggy playing on the JP servers but it was fun. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

mechatra
Sep 28, 2006, 05:50 PM
Well isn't this abit of a kick in the teeth for all us importers who've already got the game on PC or Ps2.

Gah...

HUnewearl_Meira
Sep 28, 2006, 06:08 PM
In so far as the interconnectedness of the worldwide servers for Xbox360, that's likely to be more of an Xbox Live! thing than a Sonic Team thing, just like the voice chat. It's not like they're going out of their way to add this, it's just that it's the nature of the environment it's going to.

zandra117
Sep 28, 2006, 07:34 PM
Now lets just hope there isn't too many asshats that will hear someone speaking to another person in Japanese and then they jump in and yell at them to speak english.

Cetus
Sep 28, 2006, 07:34 PM
Yeah the Xbox 360 version of PSU connected with Japan http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif finaly the cut in chat will finaly be usefull http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif as not everyone will understand what you says http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif I think i will be faking that i don't understand spoken english to force people to type if they don't want to do it ,too bad i will play with other people http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cetus on 2006-09-28 17:38 ]</font>

kassy
Sep 28, 2006, 07:35 PM
Could be an xbox live thing, or maybe because of the low amount of xbox360 users in JP, who knows, I'm sure it'll make 360 PSU happy though.

kyori
Sep 28, 2006, 07:48 PM
yknow, one of the possible issues with this cross regional thing is... How will x360 server capacity be in comparison? Will they experience the same hell JP did during launch?

Cross
Sep 28, 2006, 07:50 PM
I doubt it. Given the extremely low penetration of the 360 in Japan (and there aren't even that many in US/EU, compared to PS2/PC owners), and the fact that Phantasy Star doesn't really get as much of a reception in US/EU areas anyway, the 360 version will probably have less players globablly than JP World 1.

watashiwa
Sep 28, 2006, 07:51 PM
On 2006-09-28 17:50, Cross wrote:
Given the extremely low penetration of the 360 in Japan

*giggle*

Tay200k
Sep 28, 2006, 07:56 PM
I just hope that the UK players can hock up with the USA players. If i remember rightly on pso for gamecube if you played on 50hz you would connect up to the european servers and if ya played on 60hz you would play on the USA/Jap servers.and the european servers where dead in comparison with the USA/Jap ones...

DraginHikari
Sep 28, 2006, 07:59 PM
It's already been confirmed for the PS2 and PC verison that US/EU are interlinked. I assume at least that for xbox but I don't know for sure.

Saner
Sep 28, 2006, 09:20 PM
either way

it helps to add some extra servers just in case they get another 'unexpected' overflow and everyone can't get online due to traffic, like what happened in Japan, and other problems. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Chaobo99
Sep 28, 2006, 10:58 PM
wow. It can get anoying LISTENING to japanese players talking if you cant understand it and vice versa for the JP player. That's why PSO had a good keyboarding, easily ignorable language barrier.
Well, than again,you can mute it, but then you would'nt be able to hear what your partner is trying to say...

Valkayree
Sep 28, 2006, 11:48 PM
On 2006-09-28 15:15, foamcup wrote:
Yeah, get yelled at in Japanese by the one person who will purchase the 360 version over there, lol.

That's probably why they did it, lol. Can't get 6 people.

Valkayree
Sep 28, 2006, 11:49 PM
On 2006-09-28 17:34, zandra117 wrote:
Now lets just hope there isn't too many asshats that will hear someone speaking to another person in Japanese and then they jump in and yell at them to speak english.

Oh, you knwo there will be. There always are. That's what the mute button is for. That way they can expend their energy acting like an ass to a brick wall that is the mute button, and I'll be behind the sound proof glass.

AppieDPC
Sep 29, 2006, 12:34 PM
Yay! Now we can play with the 5 people in Japan who own a 360 and will play PSU on it! W00T!
During easter we could play the game: find the JP (and still not find one a month later ;D ).

Natrokos
Sep 29, 2006, 12:41 PM
I have a coworker who can speak fluent Japanese...I may kidnap him and force him to be my interpreter....

"What does konichiwa mean?! Is he calling me a b*tch!? Tell him I say F*ck You!"

Naw, I played with Japanese guys in FFXI and they're pretty cool. And I am actually happy that we can play together... It will add some diversity with the 5-14 people who will be playing it on 360 with us.

Saner
Sep 29, 2006, 12:46 PM
ya the main reason looks like it's really to avoid screwing up the Japan Xbox360 side of things.

they would be lucky to have a real community on their own. but ya the language barrier is still a slight problem but then again with these kind of games communication is not really that important if they know how to play.

Ryogen
Sep 29, 2006, 12:51 PM
This is good for us Xbox players as we get to experience many other people, languages and stuff. Actually I think all xbox live games are like that. I know DOA4 is.

Mouseklip
Sep 29, 2006, 02:56 PM
On 2006-09-28 14:38, zandra117 wrote:
http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/phantasy-star-universe/735971p1.html

GameSpy: Are there any features in PSU that will be exclusive to one platform over the others, or will all platforms get essentially the same game?
Setsumasa: Because Phantasy Star Universe will be available on all three platforms (PC, PS2, Xbox 360), each platform will essentially be the same game, but on the Xbox 360, there will be additional features via Xbox Live such as voice chat. In addition, gamers will be able to connect and play with others worldwide including Japan and Europe.

How could that be bad it just means more people to play with and maybe you'll meet people who you like. You know a lot of people in Europe and Japan speak English.

kazuma56
Sep 29, 2006, 03:21 PM
This is probably one of the most stupid ideas I ever heard.. there is no auto-translate function using a headset (to my knowledge at least) so if you're going to be playing on a JP server you better know how to say their language correctly because typing is != to saying the same thing as vowels among other things can be misplaced meaning a different word entirely.

nice feature for the 360 version, but its not something i'd use because it'd be far to awkward.

qoxolg
Sep 29, 2006, 03:34 PM
There will be like 4 JP 360 players anyway.. and most european people know english..

and.. if you don't feel like using the headset, you can plugin any USB keyboard in your 360, and you can type as much as you want.

Mikedot
Oct 1, 2006, 01:42 PM
It's so werid that the PS2/PC servers are linked with US and EU, but the Xbox 360 servers will be separate with US/EU/JP players.

Then again, I suppose thats fair.

Rubesahl
Oct 1, 2006, 05:05 PM
LOL If this is true... it won't change anything really lol I have 2 PCs and a PS2 unlike having 3 xbox 360s -shrugs- I usually play with my sis and a friend online over at my house :/ and their PCs aren't that good so they rather play on the PS2 which moves better than the PC version in their PCs. Though I'm the one with the l33t pc, I'm still more than happy to play in the crappy PC when I play multi since I like the game that much http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

That's just brainless really >_> They probably did it since there's not enough Japanese that will complain and make a difference in the population over there. As for the PC/PS2 version, there's probably more anti-foreignerism there O_o I really don't know what else could it be since its stupid saying that they're not linked cause of the content when the 360 version is being released here first and the JPN version about more than a month afterwards. Not to mention that PSU JP's official service starts NOW in October O_o which is nothing far from the NA release, pure BS in my opinion. Anyways I'll be playing in a closed circle of friends so it doesn't affect me, though I would've liked having a chance to practice my japanese. I guess I should focus on my french then http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif ....