PDA

View Full Version : Controls - question

_glowstiq_
Sep 30, 2006, 12:01 AM
I was digging through my closet and found my Logitech Precision controller. I was contemplating buying a new controller beforehand that had the two joysticks. This controller is basicly the PS1 controller. Will I be able to use all the essential actions for PSU with this controller or is it better for me to get the one with the two joysticks?

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=880786
^ For reference.

Sgt_Shligger
Sep 30, 2006, 12:19 AM
Hmmmm, tough to say. you would miss out on having a rotatable camera and (simple) first person shooting. YOu owuld also lack analog control. It really depends but I personally owuld spend the $20 for a new pad with duel analog sticks.

Ether
Sep 30, 2006, 12:38 AM
I'd definitely recommened getting a dual analog pad. PSU uses one of them for character movement, the other for camera movement, and the D-Pad for menu navigation. With that controller you'd have to do something like set menu scrolling to the keyboard, which would get pretty annoying IMO

darthplagis
Sep 30, 2006, 01:00 AM
personally i HATE the PS2 controller 1. big hands=big cramps 2. the left analog and d pad are wrong way round (im a dc,n64,gc and xbox player) 3. the analogs are too close together making you look like you are praying (was that intentional eh sony???).

but they do contol the game well enough and are well built (cats still get through the wires tho) so i would just go dual analog

Jife_Jifremok
Oct 1, 2006, 01:48 AM
On 2006-09-29 22:38, Ether wrote:
I'd definitely recommened getting a dual analog pad. PSU uses one of them for character movement, the other for camera movement, and the D-Pad for menu navigation. With that controller you'd have to do something like set menu scrolling to the keyboard, which would get pretty annoying IMO

So what does the D-pad do if you're not navigating a menu? It's not some really stiff running like a PS1 game, is it? If so, can it be remapped to do something useful like another camera-movement (for when the right thumb is occupied with buttons)?

And on the subjject of camera movement, can you set horizontal rotation to either normal is reverse? (I'd much rather have left rotate the camera to the left)

AnamanaAU
Oct 1, 2006, 01:49 AM
On 2006-09-29 23:00, darthplagis wrote:
personally i HATE the PS2 controller 1. big hands=big cramps 2. the left analog and d pad are wrong way round (im a dc,n64,gc and xbox player) 3. the analogs are too close together making you look like you are praying (was that intentional eh sony???).

but they do contol the game well enough and are well built (cats still get through the wires tho) so i would just go dual analog

The Xbox pad is like 500 times the size of the PS2 pad.

AC9breaker
Oct 1, 2006, 01:51 AM
Personally, I would recommend the Xbox360 Wireless controller. It has to be the best traditional gaming controller ever and probably will always be the best.

Miyoko
Oct 1, 2006, 06:47 AM
After playing around a bit, I've found that I very rarely use the analog controlls on my game pad -- I just use them for menus...