PDA

View Full Version : Any TGS media about the Expansion Disc? they changed the

Saner
Oct 1, 2006, 07:46 AM
there was supposed to be new media and info about the Expansion, but everything has been quiet about it besides what we already seen of the new character.

did they cancel the TGS unveiling?

PJ
Oct 1, 2006, 07:54 AM
They had planned to show the Expansion?

It was even confirmed as an expansion?

Jesus Christ, I thought I was up to date, WHERE AM I

Saner
Oct 1, 2006, 08:26 AM
ya it's confirmed to be an expansion. some say it's a continuation of the offline story, but some say it's in fact the online's sory campaign but rumor is that it's a separate thing you buy or whatever.

the only gameplay pic we've seen is one that seemed to take place in Extra Mode, because it showed a created character and the new female Beast character as an NPC.

PrinceBrightstar
Oct 1, 2006, 08:46 AM
I'll find out straight from the horse's mouth later today what the deal is on this thing so don't worry.

Tycho
Oct 1, 2006, 09:27 AM
Jeez. Unless I'm somehow behind, there was never going to be any expansion.

Go download the game or something, but at least reconsider wasting half of your life away posting questions threads. >_>;

Mazoku
Oct 1, 2006, 10:21 AM
Jeez. Unless I'm somehow behind, there was never going to be any expansion.

That makes you officially behind. Do some research before flaming.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/729/729671p1.html

Wubbie
Oct 1, 2006, 10:44 AM
It's still not necessarily an EXPANSION, it might just be a PATCH...

IGN has NO PROOF of it being a new DISC that we must by... A patch seems SO MUCH MORE likely.

DizzyDi
Oct 1, 2006, 10:48 AM
On 2006-10-01 08:44, Wubbie wrote:
It's still not necessarily an EXPANSION, it might just be a PATCH...

IGN has NO PROOF of it being a new DISC that we must by... A patch seems SO MUCH MORE likely.

Why would they go through the trouble up putting up a teaser trailer for just some patch? And not only that but this "patch" is confirmed to continue the offline story, so those that don't have online would be screwed if they wanted to continue offline and they can't download this patch. So...Yeah its probably a disc.

McLaughlin
Oct 1, 2006, 10:56 AM
I'm fairly sure nothing's been confirmed as to what the expansion is going to expand on, so let's all just wait and see.

NeoSakura
Oct 1, 2006, 10:57 AM
From what I know there will be an expansion for PS2 and X360. I read no word about PC though...so that's a little odd. Pity that I forgot where I read about the expansion, but I doubt it was just some fansite. *scratches head*

Tycho
Oct 1, 2006, 11:37 AM
[quote]That makes you officially behind. Do some research before flaming.
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/729/729671p1.html</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I think it's a month ago I read that, but I dismissed it as a hoax, because the page referenced no official source whatsoever that could explicitly confirm this to be an expansion disk. It's not like I've been behind ever since the release date, but I'm skeptical about the things I read.
I've just searched Japanese sites a bit though. The developer's blog has next to no info, but it seems that Japanese players do seem to believe this to be an expansion disk. Also, there's already an entry on Amazon.jp for it.
You win.

In his blog, Sakai explicitly stated he wasn't allowed to write much about Illumise no Yabou yet, though that was some weeks ago by now. I'm guessing they just revealed its existence to get fans excited, but aren't really going to tell much more about it until it's finished.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tycho on 2006-10-01 09:38 ]</font>

Tystys
Oct 1, 2006, 12:24 PM
No official source? It had an official picture and link to the "secret" website. O_O

Wubbie
Oct 1, 2006, 02:02 PM
What does that prove Tystys?

Why WOULDN'T they "Name and go through the trouble" for just a 'patch'. Look at WoW for a great example, they name their patches and they include GREAT updates (usually)... There is no proof of an expansion.

Saner
Oct 1, 2006, 02:44 PM
well it's on the official JP site is it not? that must mean something.

and what about that female beast character? there is a screenshot of her in-game and promotional art. surely this must mean something.

even if its not an expansion disc and a online-exclusive story already on the disc they will unlock later, it's something.

Wubbie
Oct 1, 2006, 02:54 PM
No, really Saner?

Thank you captain obvious... The debate is whether it's a patch or an expansion disc... There is no proof showing it's an expansion, therefore as of now it can be considered nothing other than ideas and/or a patch.

kassy
Oct 1, 2006, 03:26 PM
On 2006-10-01 12:54, Wubbie wrote:

There is no proof showing it's an expansion, therefore as of now it can be considered nothing other than ideas and/or a patch.

There is no proof showing it's an idea and/or a patch, therefore as of now it can be considered nothing other than an expansion.

See how that works?

uhawww
Oct 1, 2006, 03:45 PM
The only information available is a single site with a single picture.

http://phantasystaruniverse.jp/secret/

Sega will release information as they see fit.
Don't expect anything of substance for a while.

PrinceBrightstar
Oct 1, 2006, 04:08 PM
Sorry guys, it stays a mystery. he said NDA on me.

Tystys
Oct 1, 2006, 04:09 PM
OK, all of you are not considering one thing.

Remember, SEGA said they would unlock everything on the disc, and only give small updates and patches so PS2 memory cards could handle them. If it were truly a patch, that would mean PS2 users would be left out, making alot of unhappy faces.

So, in other words, it's most likely going to be an expansion disc because they aren't going to be releasing huge patches in the forms of new worlds....they just unlock them on their servers.

PrinceBrightstar
Oct 1, 2006, 04:25 PM
Now there's something we need... an Ice planet.

CpwninOBrien
Oct 1, 2006, 04:42 PM
hopefully psu will tide me over to the expansion lol

mattdude
Oct 1, 2006, 04:46 PM
How about...we just play the new one that is coming out in OCT 24th !!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif maybe on that date they will tell us more info!!!! lol don't worry, about the expantion yet......lol

darthplagis
Oct 1, 2006, 04:56 PM
i would say any additional content other than a MAJOR overhaul of the games mechanics/structure (as in v.2) will be on content download, new wepon skins and cloths wont be too much data as the phisical data is on the disk its just a case of re skinning. new worlds however will take a big chunk of data so the PS2 may get an upgrade disk with the extra content added, where as the xbox and PC can download to HDD, if it was to be an upgrade disk with minimal content added i would say it would be a mail order item rather that a shop based item.

mattdude
Oct 1, 2006, 04:59 PM
On 2006-10-01 14:56, darthplagis wrote:
i would say any additional content other than a MAJOR overhaul of the games mechanics/structure (as in v.2) will be on content download, new wepon skins and cloths wont be too much data as the phisical data is on the disk its just a case of re skinning. new worlds however will take a big chunk of data so the PS2 may get an upgrade disk with the extra content added, where as the xbox and PC can download to HDD, if it was to be an upgrade disk with minimal content added i would say it would be a mail order item rather that a shop based item.

hmm you could acauley be right....SWG (star wars galaxies) there was a expantion called trials of obi-wan and you could only download it, not buy it...

Ryudo
Oct 1, 2006, 05:18 PM
It's not an expansion, it's a series of online story based quests with Laia Martinez, one will be released every 2 weeks online

I have no idea where people got the idea it's an expansion disc, it isnt,all the data for these quests is already on the ps2 disc

darthplagis
Oct 1, 2006, 05:36 PM
yeah it does seem silly to release 'extra' content for a game less than a few months old with non disk based story and or items, i mean we only have a tiny section of what pso had unlocked @ release.

i know if its an online series the story data needent be on the disk as the sever can and will hold all the data as it needent be on the retail disk. but as for extra story mode quests what if you unlock them by playing the online story with yr network chars like story's relation to extra offline?

Tycho
Oct 1, 2006, 05:39 PM
On 2006-10-01 15:18, Ryudo wrote:
I have no idea where people got the idea it's an expansion disc, it isnt,all the data for these quests is already on the ps2 disc
You sound like you've found it. Have you? >_>;

Alisha
Oct 1, 2006, 05:40 PM
On 2006-10-01 15:36, darthplagis wrote:
yeah it does seem silly to release 'extra' content for a game less than a few months old with non disk based story and or items, i mean we only have a tiny section of what pso had unlocked @ release.

the week pso was released in the states ver2 was announced.

On 2006-10-01 15:18, Ryudo wrote:

show me proof.. until then im gonna believe its an expansion disc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2006-10-01 15:43 ]</font>

Katrina
Oct 1, 2006, 05:45 PM
If there is an expansion coming anytime down the road, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, from a PS perspective, there will be a next gen PS3 port included. For now, I'm just waiting anxiously for the 24'th, and looking very much forward to playing and enjoying PSU. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Jools
Oct 1, 2006, 06:24 PM
Hey everyone, I attented and reported on this years TGS. I can tell you that there was absolutely no PSU presence at this years show, howevever, the mysterious "secret" image from the offical PSU site was present in the program book as a 1 page advertisement. There was no accompanying description of any kind. Very cryptic.

-Jools

Wubbie
Oct 1, 2006, 06:56 PM
How do you all come up with your foreshadowing ideas?

Sega said that they would release patches, exactly... That doesn't mean that the current "expansion" is what's already on disc and will be released and unlocked.

There is no proof showing it's an expansion.

Authenticate
Oct 1, 2006, 07:02 PM
All of you are fools! Don't you see what Sega is really doing!? They're trying to drive us apart, so that we will be weak. Then they will send in the penguins with laser guns to finish us off!

mananas
Oct 1, 2006, 07:17 PM
Why would they make artwork for a patch?

Jools
Oct 1, 2006, 07:50 PM
Also, its highly unlikely that Sega paid for an expensive, full page advertisement in the TGS programme for unlockable content on a game thats already released. Highly unlikely.

-Jools

ANIMEniac
Oct 1, 2006, 08:16 PM
...mmm in the absence of expantions i would like to also say, they need to hurry and put a demo on XBL! and release a demo disk for those on ps2 and pc.

Wubbie
Oct 1, 2006, 08:31 PM
How do you figure Jools, it's an advertisement advertising the current game, Phantasy Star Universe, and it's 1st chapter... It makes perfect sense to me.

"Why would they make artwork for a patch? "

Have you looked at Blizzards marketing scheme? Oh no, you haven't.
How well are they doing? Hmm... Over 7 million ACTIVE customers? Sounds good to me.
Do others follow in their footsteps? Damn straight they do... They want to max out with a huge profit just like them.

Cross
Oct 1, 2006, 08:48 PM
On 2006-10-01 17:50, Jools wrote:
Also, its highly unlikely that Sega paid for an expensive, full page advertisement in the TGS programme for unlockable content on a game thats already released. Highly unlikely.

-Jools

I don't think so. Considering that their already-released game is going to be sustained by monthly payments (and that the game doesn't have a horrible grind to try to squeeze time/money out of players), it's only natural that they'd put want to advertise the online campaign to get as many subscribers as possible.

Then again, if there's actually a seperate disc that's shown up as a preorder or whatever on Amazon, it may well be a seperate expansion, but it makes just as much sense that this is just advertisement for the online campaign.

Jools
Oct 1, 2006, 10:11 PM
On 2006-10-01 18:31, Wubbie wrote:
How do you figure Jools, it's an advertisement advertising the current game, Phantasy Star Universe, and it's 1st chapter... It makes perfect sense to me.

I can assure you, that in all my years of covering TGS, I have never seen a full page glossy advertisement for a released game in the program.

Secondly, the Japanese video game market is all about week one sales, the promotions then disapear like they never even existed. Indeed, PSU sold incredibly well in week one, but it doesn't rate too highly now, and it never will again.

-Jools

Tystys
Oct 1, 2006, 10:18 PM
On 2006-10-01 16:56, Wubbie wrote:
How do you all come up with your foreshadowing ideas?

Sega said that they would release patches, exactly... That doesn't mean that the current "expansion" is what's already on disc and will be released and unlocked.

There is no proof showing it's an expansion.

What are you trying to say? I didn't get that post entirely? What I got from it was that you think the actual things they're trying to expand on are already on the intial PSU disc waiting to be unlocked, O_O

EJ
Oct 1, 2006, 10:21 PM
PSU just came out and is about a month and a half old and everyone is already asking to see video of the expansion?!

Just play the game when the NA one is release and think about an expansion when the game is atleast 6 months old and yes I already know there are plans for an expanison but releasing one now or showing anything is way too early imo.

Tystys
Oct 1, 2006, 10:22 PM
Well, here's the thing. ST announced they would give some more info on it, but we get nothing!

Jools
Oct 1, 2006, 10:24 PM
On 2006-10-01 20:21, EJ wrote:
PSU just came out and is about a month and a half old and everyone is already asking to see video of the expansion?!

Just play the game when the NA one is release and think about an expansion when the game is atleast 6 months old and yes I already know there are plans for an expanison but releasing one now or showing anything is way too early imo.

Well Sega are obviously inviting discussion by previewing their "mystery product" on their site and in the TGS brochure given to the most significant press the world over.

-Jools

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jools on 2006-10-01 20:25 ]</font>

EJ
Oct 1, 2006, 10:25 PM
Ok...well that ST for you and maybe they decided it was also too early to release info since I think its way too early to announce any expansion for a game barely 2 months old.

But that just me on the expansion subject.

Jools
Oct 1, 2006, 10:27 PM
Did they? Where did that happen?

On 2006-10-01 20:22, Tystys wrote:
Well, here's the thing. ST announced they would give some more info on it, but we get nothing!

Tystys
Oct 1, 2006, 10:27 PM
Maybe they'll pull a massive scale MIB memory erasing, and make the statue of liberty flash a flash so huge that we all forget about the expansion entirely.

trunkszero
Oct 2, 2006, 01:40 AM
9 times out of 10 it is a NEW DISC i mean come on look it pso......pso, pso ver2, pso ep1&2, pso ep1&2 plus......obviously its another disc

Zarbolord
Oct 2, 2006, 01:56 AM
... That early? PSU still hasn't come out in US and EU, I think it would be a patch because that is what holds the locked stuff. Maybe it is a disk that you buy for very little and you open a new area and new items offline, but the online option is a patch. Seriously it's all server side.

Tystys
Oct 2, 2006, 04:02 AM
Meh, I'm starting to see why people think it's a patch...what with the PS2 version and all.

I still say disc, though. seems a bit more logical.

Valkayree
Oct 2, 2006, 08:42 AM
On 2006-10-01 13:26, kassy wrote:

On 2006-10-01 12:54, Wubbie wrote:

There is no proof showing it's an expansion, therefore as of now it can be considered nothing other than ideas and/or a patch.

There is no proof showing it's an idea and/or a patch, therefore as of now it can be considered nothing other than an expansion.

See how that works?

Lol, damn right.