PDA

View Full Version : Slicer weapons?

BeeYee
Oct 1, 2006, 09:11 PM
any of you that have already played PSU, are the fans like slicers or are there no slicers at all.

PrinceBrightstar
Oct 1, 2006, 09:12 PM
Unknown at this moment. Unreleased.

BeeYee
Oct 1, 2006, 09:24 PM
But some people have played it havent they?

foamcup
Oct 1, 2006, 09:25 PM
He meant fans are unreleased.

Rizen
Oct 1, 2006, 09:29 PM
On 2006-10-01 19:24, BeeYee wrote:
But some people have played it havent they?

Yes, but not all contain has been released. In my knowledge, I dont believe there is many slicer weapons yet, but if you look behind the counters of weapon shops, you can see a fan like weapon and other weapons like a 2h Axe or something.

Sevenfold
Oct 1, 2006, 09:31 PM
I have seen the same pictures your talking about, but I myself havent seen anything like that in action. Just wait a few more weeks and well all know.

Goose
Oct 1, 2006, 10:35 PM
Haha, who cares about Slicers? Those things were almost worthless in PSO

AnamanaAU
Oct 1, 2006, 10:37 PM
Slicers were awesome vs Dragon & De Rol.

Zorafim
Oct 1, 2006, 10:38 PM
They were pretty nifty in the other PSs, though. How you would implement boomerangs in a game like this, though, I don't know.

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 1, 2006, 10:44 PM
On 2006-10-01 20:35, Goose wrote:

Is there another weapon in PSO that would allow you to hit De Rol Le seven times in a single strike?

Goose
Oct 1, 2006, 10:46 PM
Not seven times, but a sword or partisan could hit a lot in one swing. And there's rafoie...so yeah, Slicer was basically an obsolete wep. All three of those would do more damage than a slicer, lol.

foamcup
Oct 1, 2006, 10:55 PM

Hell yes.

Blackwaltz-R
Oct 1, 2006, 11:01 PM
On 2006-10-01 20:55, foamcup wrote:

Hell yes.

Yeah if your a noob who only focuses on the ATP of a weapon rather than how practical they are/can be.

Goose
Oct 1, 2006, 11:04 PM
Haha, I started playing this game like, almost 6 years ago. I'm definitely not a noob. The slicer isn't practical when there are so many better alternatives to it. It was just awful to tell the truth.

Shye
Oct 1, 2006, 11:04 PM
Not to mention the satisfying "PAMF!" the rappy fan makes when it hits something.

Wiggly, giggly, goodness.

foamcup
Oct 1, 2006, 11:14 PM
On 2006-10-01 21:04, Goose wrote:
Haha, I started playing this game like, almost 6 years ago. I'm definitely not a noob. The slicer isn't practical when there are so many better alternatives to it. It was just awful to tell the truth.

Same here, been playing since DC ver. 1, totally not a noob. I had better options, mainly my Spread Needle, then later a Heaven Punisher. Before I scored those, I had a Soul Eater to tear his face off with when he landed on the raft.

Blackwaltz-R
Oct 1, 2006, 11:19 PM
Noobism is a mentality, it doesn't matter how long you've played a game.

A2K
Oct 1, 2006, 11:23 PM
In the Xboxyde Xbox 360 video posted recently a character pulled out a fan (as an offhand weapon, I believe) but didn't actually do anything with it, instead attacking with the claw in her main hand.

The fact is was an offhand weapon leads me to believe it's a ranged weapon that may or may not function like a slicer, since all the offhand weapons are ranged weapons, after all.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-10-01 21:24 ]</font>

ProfessorZ
Oct 1, 2006, 11:23 PM
You guys are dumb. The slicer was the ultimate melee weapon for the ranger

Blackwaltz-R
Oct 1, 2006, 11:27 PM
On 2006-10-01 21:23, ProfessorZ wrote:

You mean ranged weapon for Hunters. lol

Sevenfold
Oct 1, 2006, 11:34 PM
On 2006-10-01 21:14, foamcup wrote:

Same here, been playing since DC ver. 1, totally not a noob. I had better options, mainly my Spread Needle, then later a Heaven Punisher. Before I scored those, I had a Soul Eater to tear his face off with when he landed on the raft.

Ugh...spread needle hackers again...*AGH!! Bad memories!!*

ProfessorZ
Oct 1, 2006, 11:36 PM
On 2006-10-01 21:27, Blackwaltz-R wrote:

On 2006-10-01 21:23, ProfessorZ wrote:

You mean ranged weapon for Hunters. lol

Wrong again. Hunters using mech guns where lethal.

Blackwaltz-R
Oct 1, 2006, 11:56 PM

Thats not the issue http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif The point I was making was that Slicers are HU weapon. Also it depends on the range of your target whether you would use Mechs or a Handgun then you have to consider the elements you have at your disposal to make that generla statement lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blackwaltz-R on 2006-10-01 21:56 ]</font>

AnamanaAU
Oct 1, 2006, 11:59 PM

I started playing with the first PSO and there's still a lot I don't know. 6 years doesn't mean shit.

ProfessorZ
Oct 2, 2006, 12:03 AM
On 2006-10-01 21:56, Blackwaltz-R wrote:

Thats not the issue http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif The point I was making was that Slicers are HU weapon. Also it depends on the range of your target whether you would use Mechs or a Handgun then you have to consider the elements you have at your disposal to make that generla statement lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blackwaltz-R on 2006-10-01 21:56 ]</font>

You should also consider that we possibly play differently?

Authenticate
Oct 2, 2006, 12:04 AM
Slicers were good, but a Partisan or Sword did the same thing with less footwork. If you couldn't daze monsters (like the robots in mines on ULT), then the slicer was a good multiple target damage weapon. My only problem with it was that the animation was too long and made you move forward too much. It should have been just a simple throwing combo, it didn't need all that fancy moving.

ProfessorZ
Oct 2, 2006, 12:05 AM
God/Battle it. Me and my rainbow baton pwned ult mines

Pengfishh
Oct 2, 2006, 01:04 AM
Slicers were just fun. Practicality aside, they were challenging to use because they were bad, and challenge does beget fun.

Zarbolord
Oct 2, 2006, 01:31 AM
They're extremely usefull for those bosses. A sword can just barely touch the De Rols, I 've tried it myself. The rafoie in ultimate is pathetic against the De Rols, even for a force (hey, 1030 MST dealing 134 damage? no thx). The slicer can do so much damage and if you have a good hit and A.beast % then it rocks against them. I agree that against the dragons there is better for a force... only for a force. Gol Dragon was gizonde (hit 3 dragons at the same time and also when they're in the air, haha!), normal dragon was just simply barta all the time, Sil Dragon is gizonde and foie with the head down.

Sinue_v2
Oct 2, 2006, 02:03 AM
Perhaps they weren't the best, but they were useful - and could definately get the job done. I remember one time in v.1, I had a FO with a slicer and went up against Dark Falz with a guy who was probably 20 levels higher than me. He laughed and said I was going to die using that weapon. The Slicer actually make really quick work of the Darvants, and allowed me to focus on casting techs unimpeeded.

He died... twice.

It's often not the weapon that's bad... it's the player.

Except for those nerfed weapons in Ep II like Game Magazine. Those did suck. = /

Alisha
Oct 2, 2006, 02:07 AM
if slicers are a hu weapon im gonna have a seizure.do you use slicers in challange mode..... hell no. theres really no place for a ranged hu weapon.

Blackwaltz-R
Oct 2, 2006, 02:07 AM
On 2006-10-01 22:03, ProfessorZ wrote:

On 2006-10-01 21:56, Blackwaltz-R wrote:

You should also consider that we possibly play differently?

I did consider that and my previous statement was based on that reasoning. Your previous statement didn't follow that reasoning however, in other other words your statement is disingenuous to the comment you're making now. None of this was part of the point though, the point was that SLicers don't suck. I already defended mechs in a past thread when someone made a comment about mechs sucking.

On 2006-10-01 22:04, Authenticate wrote:
Slicers were good, but a Partisan or Sword did the same thing with less footwork. If you couldn't daze monsters (like the robots in mines on ULT), then the slicer was a good multiple target damage weapon. My only problem with it was that the animation was too long and made you move forward too much. It should have been just a simple throwing combo, it didn't need all that fancy moving.

Yeah Partisan I think had higher accuracy and evasion but a lower range that Swords. Also I found slicers useful for with particular elements like Fill so I could steal HP from a safer distance than a sword or partisan. Chaos was a decent element for slicers too to confuse mobs from a distance and have them fight each other without having to run away so that they target each other. Slicers would to too vicious if the animations were slower lol

Zael
Oct 2, 2006, 02:10 AM
Slicers were cool >_>

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Oct 2, 2006, 02:51 AM
Sure, slicers arent the most practical weapon... but there are certain situations that a slicer handles so very well. Yea, a partisan or a sword has more power, so what. What if the enemies are too far apart? That's when the slicer comes in handy. I must admit, they are hard to use while playing solo, but when multiple people are around, and all the enemies don't group how you want them too, the slicer is your best bet.
They are also great for the dragon, vol opt, de rol le, and barba ray... especially the latter two, for its ability to hit the worms while they are in the water.
The greatest weapon? no. Useful weapon? yes. I never leave pioneer 2 without one. ( they also happen to be my favorite weapon type in the game)

I'm not gonna argue it anymore, if you guys wanna be closed minded to the obvious awesomness that is the slicer, then its your loss. ;p

Zael
Oct 2, 2006, 03:01 AM
Slicer > Ep 4 boss if you're a HU

StanleyPain
Oct 2, 2006, 03:44 AM
Slicers did have one advantage: in large party game they were useful for getting a hit on all the enemies in a room to max your exp.

DreamTonight
Oct 2, 2006, 04:37 AM

Slicers were one of the best weapons in PSO!

Goose
Oct 2, 2006, 01:13 PM
If what you guys say about the Slicer is true than you would think it would be a popular weapon used online, right? Funny how it was so uncommon to actually see someone use it...
And I also seem to remember people being like, "hey! I found a rare" and then equipping it or taking it to a tekker and then being like, "aww it was just a Diska slicer :-"

A2K
Oct 2, 2006, 01:18 PM
On 2006-10-02 11:13, Goose wrote:
If what you guys say about the Slicer is true than you would think it would be a popular weapon used online, right? Funny how it was so uncommon to actually see someone use it...
And I also seem to remember people being like, "hey! I found a rare" and then equipping it or taking it to a tekker and then being like, "aww it was just a Diska slicer :-"

I saw plenty of them, actually. They weren't everywhere, but they certainly weren't uncommon.

Oh, didn't androids get a HP/TP/EXP drain boost from their items? I remember a fan-ish weapon that I could get ridiculous EXP with...

l3iohazard
Oct 2, 2006, 01:28 PM
the only time i found a slicer good was when i multi-equped like 10 red swords and i had this slicer(i forgot the name of of the gold one >_>) with 35% hit and 50% dark and i think 40% in mines. so yea i was doing about 4500ish a pop so i guess they were cool... but i would never use one with out that

chibiLegolas
Oct 2, 2006, 01:32 PM
On 2006-10-02 01:44, StanleyPain wrote:
Slicers did have one advantage: in large party game they were useful for getting a hit on all the enemies in a room to max your exp.

Thank you. I can't see why some ppl would flat out disregard slicers as a whole in general. For a HUcast or a HUcaseal, they're important for tagging and they still deal decent damage. That and it's available to all classes is important.
My primary weapons for my FOmar has always been charge vulcans and slicer types.
And lets not forget that slicers are just plain FUN.
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif
I really do hope slicers does make a comback in some way, shape, or form in PSU.

DraginHikari
Oct 2, 2006, 01:33 PM
I enjoyed Slicers with my FOmarl back on BB.

Scirrocco
Oct 2, 2006, 01:44 PM
Just because Slicers weren't that good in PSO (and i'm not saying they weren't, its been a hwile for me) doesn't mean they couldn't have gotten buffed in PSU. Wait before something is usable before you say it sucks.

Goose
Oct 2, 2006, 03:43 PM
I said they were worthless in PSO. I didn't make any judgements on it for PSU. Make sure you read what others say before you post.

Saner
Oct 2, 2006, 04:33 PM
On 2006-10-02 00:07, Alisha wrote:
if slicers are a hu weapon im gonna have a seizure.do you use slicers in challange mode..... hell no. theres really no place for a ranged hu weapon.

the 'warrior' type of characters in the classic games used Slicers (Anna, Laya, Alys, Kyra, etc.)

have you ever watched the movie Beastmaster? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

there is no rule that warriors/hunters can't use slicers. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

BeeYee
Oct 2, 2006, 08:10 PM
well, my friend was obsessed with slicers, and ya, only 3 weeks til US release. Cant wait, ya Ill admit that I didnt like slicers much, im a mechgun person. Boy im obsessed with those.

-Break-
Oct 2, 2006, 08:16 PM
On 2006-10-01 20:44, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

Is there another weapon in PSO that would allow you to hit De Rol Le seven times in a single strike?

Rafoie, it's a weapon of mass destruction http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Pure-chan
Oct 3, 2006, 10:26 AM

My HUcaseal (and her Diska of Braveman) disagree with the above post. ^

physic
Oct 3, 2006, 11:14 AM
slicers, as a new fool i assumed they were weak, and outclassed be the sword, but in fact the sword requires you to run, up by which time you could already have killed with a slicer, not to mention if you get a group of enemies you could use teh extra attack without fear od getting hit. add to that they could detonate traps, big time use. my jcutter was one of my best and most used weaps, the lack of atp boost means less the more your base atp is, IE endgame. also very useful for bosses.
You can use the slicer to cut up your enemies, till they get close and then change to another weap. or run into the middle, drop a freeze trap run out and shoot at will without having to wait for an explode. all the while stealling hp back, or various other effects, instant death anybody? Fact is in pso all weapons served a purpose, if you knew how to use em. Every one thought 1hand swords sucked till they played challenge mode. I wouldnt mind seeing slicers again, the more weapons i can choose from teh better.

fireant
Oct 3, 2006, 11:27 AM
I loved my Diska of Braveman. I had 55% hit:)

Saner
Oct 3, 2006, 01:21 PM
we have yet to see those 'fans' in action.

they are left handed so they may be ranged weapons.

Blackwaltz-R
Oct 3, 2006, 02:11 PM
On 2006-10-02 11:13, Goose wrote:

Thats because you forget a majority of people means crap since a majority of a community is ignorant. otherwise the majority of people would be elitist http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif the majority focuses entirely on either ATP or ATA, this reasoning also applies to the masses who uses the diluted buzzword "rare".

[/quote]
Rafoie, it's a weapon of mass destruction http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

[/quote]

If you are a FO.

Cigaro
Oct 3, 2006, 02:20 PM
Slicers are good in the hands of the right person. If you're a force or just a fleshie in general, you have spells. A slicer was a good way for a HUcaseal like me (having high ATA) to deal decent group damage from a distance. I always had a slicer along with a sword, handgun and daggers. Those were my four weapons.

Zelutos
Oct 3, 2006, 02:21 PM

Spreads can like...Almost do that...http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zelutos on 2006-10-03 12:22 ]</font>

Blackwaltz-R
Oct 3, 2006, 02:25 PM
Spreads can like...Almost do that...http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

If you're a RA (or sporting spread needle).

Xizore
Oct 3, 2006, 02:28 PM
Braveman was okay. But i have to admit, i enjoyed using a Diska of Liberator much more because quite frankly, i like the name better. I do hope that this type of weapon will make it into the game. Too cool a concept to miss out on.

Cigaro
Oct 3, 2006, 02:31 PM
On 2006-10-03 12:28, Xizore wrote:
Braveman was okay. But i have to admit, i enjoyed using a Diska of Liberator much more because quite frankly, i like the name better. I do hope that this type of weapon will make it into the game. Too cool a concept to miss out on.

I liked the facelift one or two of the rare slicers got on EPII. They sorta folded/retracted into themselves to make neat little carrying case-like things.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cigaro on 2006-10-03 12:31 ]</font>

Kent
Oct 3, 2006, 08:18 PM
On 2006-10-03 12:21, Zelutos wrote:

For the record, no ranged weapon can hit seven times in one attack. Slicer- and shot-type weapons can only hit five times in a single attack.

Also, you'd have to be really, really dense to believe that there is no situation in which a slicer would be practical. In fact, if you're a Hunter, there are quite a few situations where this could be the weapon of choice - for example, when fighting Barba Ray or De Rol Le, you can still be hitting the boss up to 15 times per combo, while it's not landed on the raft, whereas with a Handgun or Mechgun, you'd still have the risk of the smaller projectile making a complete miss (not that the chance isn't there with a slicer, but there are more chances for hits per attack), and you'll have more ATP than with a mechgun. When it lands, you can just switch to a Partisan or Sword, and have at it.

Not to mention... Android Hunters can easily use Slicers to attack a tight group of enemies, and simultaneously detonate a trap manually, which is always handy. A ranged, multi-target weapon is very useful as a Hunter (you'd have to be stupid to completely ignore ranged combat as a Hunter in PSO).

I'm really interested to see how these fan-like weapons will work in PSU, and if they'll be like slicers. If so, I'll probably use one instead of a Handgun, in my offhand, when fighting large groups.

Alisha
Oct 3, 2006, 09:44 PM
On 2006-10-02 14:33, Saner wrote:

the 'warrior' type of characters in the classic games used Slicers (Anna, Laya, Alys, Kyra, etc.)

have you ever watched the movie Beastmaster? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

there is no rule that warriors/hunters can't use slicers. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

uhh kyra is an esper and alys kinda sucked she was more like a watecher chaz and gryz are warriors. if someone is a wartecher using slicers thats fine but if someone is a forhunter using slicers when they could be using much stronger weapons ill scream.

oh and.. traps were more than efficient for tagging enemies.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2006-10-03 19:45 ]</font>

Cloudkiller
Oct 3, 2006, 10:32 PM
The best Slicers I ever had were the Red Slicer and the Rappy's Fan. They were ok, and I would bring them out for fun, but overall to me it seemed for the most part useless. Now I never played GC version online and don't know how that would affect anything, but I found my 3-4 weapons MORE than enough to tackle anything PSO threw at me, and really all I used was some Rare Mechgun, and my Double Saber with the spikes on the end (forgot name).

-Break-
Oct 3, 2006, 10:54 PM
Rappy's Fan = pwnage and cool feather effects