PDA

View Full Version : A few things concerning the game

Raitox
Oct 2, 2006, 10:34 PM
Well first off is to say that I'm completely psyched for the game. I love the way the story looks, but I'm very much concerning about the online (I don't know if I should keep on playing FFXI, or PSU). I read what the official site had, but I'm still confused as to how the battle/level system works. I play FFXI now, a lot. If I level a character in say, story/extra mode would my character start at level 1 online, or the level I built it to? Or if there are any links I can go to to sort of figure this out... and if any former/still playing FFXI players have to suggest. Or if anything to help me decide which to play. Thanks, Raitox

Kent
Oct 2, 2006, 10:44 PM
For levelling, it works like this:

There are two levels. There's your base level, which is the actual level of your character, which is levelled up by gaining EXP from killing enemies.

Second, is your job level. Your job level determines which weapons you can use, how well you can use them, and to what level Photon Arts of the weapon types, you can use. Your base level is levelled up by completing missions (missions give experience to your job level at the end of a mission - EXP gained from monsters doesn't affect it).

Second, online and offline modes are completely separate. If you play through Story Mode, it has no affect, whatsoever, on your online character(s); if you make a character in Extra Mode, it, as well, has no affect on your story mode or online character(s), and vice-versa.

Raitox
Oct 2, 2006, 10:49 PM
Thanks for making that clear. And also, how would you compare it to FFXI? Is it as time-absorbing, or however like FFXI is (I dunno how to explain it ><). Would you cancel your account to play PSU? (if you've played ffxi)

Kent
Oct 2, 2006, 10:52 PM
Heh, yeah, I play FFXI.

I haven't played PSU, though, so I can't say. I just hope that it isn't as time-consuming as FFXI is, because no game that isn't an MMO should be taking that much time to play.

And no, I plan on keeping my account for FFXI, when I get PSU.

RamenEater
Oct 2, 2006, 10:52 PM
I've played FFXI for years Raitox, and I can tell you its a totally different game. If its anything like PSO , the game before PSU, the game is pure fun. I wouldn't call it level "grinding", leveling up is not even a chore. In FFXI you spend hours making/finding parties and the game itself feels like a job. In PSU you can hop on kill some stuff hop off. Very relaxing game, and I guess you can say its more like Diablo where you are in a lobby joining a game. Its no an MMO like FFXI.

I already quit FFXI, i've played it for 3 years and the game just got reaaally boring. How long have you played and what job/level are you? Maybe I can tell you if you should quit or not.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RamenEater on 2006-10-02 20:53 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RamenEater on 2006-10-02 20:54 ]</font>

NightHour13
Oct 2, 2006, 10:56 PM
PSU is an action RPG. You'll find it's much more exciting and attention seeking then FFXI. Most of the time spent in FFXI is clicking 4 times and waiting 10 hours. This game is the opposite. Alot of finger work, alot of tactical things involved and alot more fun in my opinion.

The only thing FFXI has over (and this is strictly MY opinion, some others disagree) PSU is that FFXI has free roam. PSU has alot of "warping" down to areas and clearing them out. From what I'v heard, some of the areas are quite large though and still take time to complete.

galaxy
Oct 2, 2006, 11:02 PM
Hey Raitox. I'm a former FFXI player (I'm on an indefinite break from the game right now) and first off I can say that you will love this game. I haven't played it yet, but I was a PSO addict (played it on the dreamcast forever, then got it again for the gamecube). It's a very DIFFERENT game from FFXI, bear that in mind. But, it still caters to similar tastes, as everything graphically is really flashy and aesthetically pleasing.

to explain your questions a bit: Story, Extra, and Online modes are all exclusive from one another. they have no relation. Here are the differences:

In story mode, you play as Ethan Waber, a premade character, with a custom voice and custom clothes. The story mode follows him throughout a pre-created story, and comes with all the basic RPG goodies-Cutscenes, voiced dialogue, sidequests, and NPC's that fight with you. Once you finish the story mode, that's it. you can play it over again if you like, but it will be pretty much the same game each time, just like any other RPG. you cannot bring your Ethan character online at all. It's pretty much, a basic RPG.

Extra mode allows you to create your own character and play with them offline through all of the levels you've unlocked in story mode. There isn't a pre-created story to follow (as in cutscenes and dialogue...there may be a plot involved, but it would only be there as background pretty much). You can have NPC's from story mode fight alongside you still, but it does not follow ethan's story. Also, you cannot bring this character online either. Extra mode allows those who cannot get online to still play their own character, or people who would rather play offline for whatever reason.

Online mode is what it sounds like: You create a character to be played EXCLUSIVELY online. you cannot play with them offline. anyways, making a character online allows you to play with a world of other players in similar areas to those from the offline modes, but with a different backstory to motivate each mission. online mode is not one consistent giant world, however, like other MMORPGs. It is most similar to Guild wars, if you want something to compare it to, in that their are city areas where everyone can meet up, shop, chat, and build parties. When a party is created (or if you want to go out solo), you take the party out to "instanced" areas: areas created for you party and your party ALONE (this is nice since it prevents campers, and it's also the only way the battle system would work, really). eventually, I can almost guarantee that there will be online exlusive game content, and new missions released for party play. this is probably the most in-depth mode, and most people will spend most of their time with their online characters.

NOW, the battle system: This is VERY different than FFXI combat and standard MMORPG gameplay. everything takes place in real time. you don't input commands into a menu and have the character automatically do them, like in FFXI. When you hit the attack button, they attack, just like most action games. you can string together combos by repeatedly hitting the attack button, for a basic 3-6 combo move for various melee weapons, and repeated shots from gun-types. also, there are what are called "photon arts" these are special moves attached to weapons to allow different combos and effects. these are assigned to a different button, and can be comboed into the basic combo string. for example, a saber has a basic 3-attack combo, plus a photon art called "Rising Strike." this move, at various level increments, will ultimately end up with another 3 attacks that can hit multiple enemies, and has your character hitting the enemies up, and them jumping up and slamming them back down on their backs. you can perform the basic 3-attacks and then follow with a rising strike.

photon arts for gun-type weapons are called "bullets." these are not special combo moves, but simply change the attributes of the gun's attacks. since guns don't string combos, really, these most resemble actions games, requiring you to strafe and shoot at your leisure. bullets can add elemental properties to weapons and cause status effects.

photon arts for mage-weapons are referred to as "Technics." these are the magic attacks in PSU. mage-weapons (rods and canes) do not attack on their own, but rather you can assign technics to each weapon (two for canes, four for rods) and use the weapon to cast those spells. they do not have cool-down timers or anything; when you hit the respective button for each spell, that spell is cast on the enemy or yourself, in real time.

I hope this has answered some of your questions. a lot of this information can be found on the site, but I've tried to compare it to FFXI as much as I can.

Raitox
Oct 2, 2006, 11:03 PM
First I'd like to thank you all for your replies, they've been very informative. and Ramen, I'm a 75Samurai, been playing for 2 years. If partying is easier to get invited.. Like 15-30 minutes.. Sign me up

EDIT: Oh my god ... Action, {Yes please} I cannot tell you how many times I've put up with clicking macro after macro. I've canceled my account a few times because of it. Without campers, a separate instance for each party.. Sounds like heaven. And, the best part about this is if I start when it comes out, I'm a player from the beginning... I like that feeling. Still debating over wether or not to delete my Samurai though, I've had my content ID on hold for a month.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raitox on 2006-10-02 21:09 ]</font>

AC9breaker
Oct 2, 2006, 11:04 PM
FFXI is a shitty game. Just throw your PC away and get a new one.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Oct 2, 2006, 11:07 PM
On 2006-10-02 20:52, RamenEater wrote:
If its anything like PSO...leveling up is not even a chore.Heh, you clearly have never made it to level 200 on PSO.

But yeah, as above, this is an action RPG, so you cannot really compare it to "traditional" MMORPGs (which I personally find boring).

On 2006-10-02 21:03, Raitox wrote:
If partying is easier to get invited.. Like 15-30 minutes.. Sign me up
Probably more like 2-5 minutes if you're in an active block/ship/whatever the hell they're called now, or if you know a few people who happen to be on at the time. PSO (and I assume PSU) is a much more casual game, play it when you want for as long as you want.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ffuzzy-Logik on 2006-10-02 21:09 ]</font>

RamenEater
Oct 2, 2006, 11:10 PM
On 2006-10-02 21:03, Raitox wrote:
First I'd like to thank you all for your replies, they've been very informative. and Ramen, I'm a 75Samurai, been playing for 2 years. If partying is easier to get invited.. Like 15-30 minutes.. Sign me up

EDIT: Oh my god ... Action, {Yes please} I cannot tell you how many times I've put up with clicking macro after macro. I've canceled my account a few times because of it. Without campers, a separate instance for each party.. Sounds like heaven.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raitox on 2006-10-02 21:05 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raitox on 2006-10-02 21:07 ]</font>

Oh ok, so you've seen alot of the game already. Dunno if you've done any endgame stuff, but to tell you the truth its really not all that exciting. Then again samurais just got some new updates im sure you'll enjoy. Still 2 years of FFXI, id say quit it, i know its hard but its time to move onto PSU!

RamenEater
Oct 2, 2006, 11:11 PM
Heh, you clearly have never made it to level 200 on PSO.

haha nope, I only played during V1 DC days. Those were good times...

Kent
Oct 2, 2006, 11:12 PM
On 2006-10-02 21:04, AC9breaker wrote:

Throw away a working PC, because a game was played on it that you happen to have a differing opinion on?

Not to mention the irony, of you having a name referencing Armored Core, and you call FFXI a bad game... :/

Raitox
Oct 2, 2006, 11:13 PM
I'll do it like this... I'll do the new SAM updates, (I want faster merit invites, dammit!) then try the free month (I think?) of PSU online... If I like, I know it'll be hard but I'll delete my character. All those friends though. I'll take like a group shot and treasure it.

galaxy
Oct 2, 2006, 11:14 PM
don't DELETE the character, just cancel the content ID...that way, if you want to go back ever, you can. After psu, i doubt you will, but maybe...

RamenEater
Oct 2, 2006, 11:15 PM
THe only downside of FFXI was that it was HUGE time sink. I believe the gameplay and game mechanics are much better than games like WoW or EQ. Although I have not played EQ before, the playing style of WoW and EQ and other MMO's have that same feel. Do you guys know what I mean? It's kinda like point and click on spells and abilities, same kinda interace.

Kent
Oct 2, 2006, 11:35 PM
On 2006-10-02 21:13, Raitox wrote:
I'll do it like this... I'll do the new SAM updates, (I want faster merit invites, dammit!) then try the free month (I think?) of PSU online... If I like, I know it'll be hard but I'll delete my character. All those friends though. I'll take like a group shot and treasure it.

The SAM updates are looking great. But as it was said, just deactivate your content ID, not the account itself. That way, you can just pick it back up later (I believe the time limit was three months...), and still have your character intact, if you so desire.

AC9breaker
Oct 2, 2006, 11:39 PM
On 2006-10-02 21:12, Kent wrote:

Throw away a working PC, because a game was played on it that you happen to have a differing opinion on?

Not to mention the irony, of you having a name referencing Armored Core, and you call FFXI a bad game... :/

Its called satire my good friend.

LegacyOfMieu
Oct 2, 2006, 11:56 PM
I played FFXI for 3 years too and I found that 50+ the game to be such a horrible experience of waiting that I just kind of gave up as a lot of players did by starting new jobs over and over ;p.

I'm hoping PSU is the answer that I need in Online gaming something fun, fast paced, and that I can feel proud of accomplishing when I've reached the endgame. I think it just might be that answer.

Can anyone that has played PSU share their thoughts about moving from FFXI to this game? I know they are really completely different games.

Jife_Jifremok
Oct 3, 2006, 01:15 AM
On 2006-10-02 21:12, Kent wrote:

Um, which AC were you playing, Nexus or Ninebreaker or something?
...or Project Phantasma single-player only?

Zarbolord
Oct 3, 2006, 01:42 AM
Saner, I haven't played any of the too, but I can assure you that it will be much faster than any other MMORPG, the only block will be meseta.

Fazeshot
Oct 3, 2006, 05:42 AM
just make sure u sell ur account dont delete it. u could get a good 400-1000$ out of ur 75 samurai depending on gear.. i sold my 73 paladin with PRETTY good gear all sky pieces for 450$ so ya... dont just delete it... but hey if u dont wanna sell it urself give it to me ill sell it and make some cash http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif ill gladly take it off ur hands http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Raitox
Oct 3, 2006, 06:20 AM
But if you deactivate your ID, don't you still have to pay? Thats the thing, I would play both but I can't afford to play both. And also, for PSU if you say forget to renew the SIGN thing or whatever, will your character still be held available? And also, how does getting weapons and armor work? Sorry for the questions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raitox on 2006-10-03 04:33 ]</font>

Ffuzzy-Logik
Oct 3, 2006, 12:20 PM
On 2006-10-03 03:42, Fazeshot wrote:
just make sure u sell ur account dont delete it. u could get a good 400-1000$ out of ur 75 samurai depending on gear.. i sold my 73 paladin with PRETTY good gear all sky pieces for 450$ so ya... dont just delete it... but hey if u dont wanna sell it urself give it to me ill sell it and make some cash http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif ill gladly take it off ur hands http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

lol, illegal.

On 2006-10-03 04:20, Raitox wrote:
But if you deactivate your ID, don't you still have to pay? Thats the thing, I would play both but I can't afford to play both. And also, for PSU if you say forget to renew the SIGN thing or whatever, will your character still be held available? And also, how does getting weapons and armor work? Sorry for the questions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raitox on 2006-10-03 04:33 ]</font>
The billing for the US/EU PC and PS2 versions of PSU will be handled through playsega.com. Assuming they do it the same way they did PSOBB accounts, then they will claim that character data remains on the servers for 3 months after you deactivate your subscription. However, in practice, many people found that their characters from the beta were still around after over a year.

Weapons and armor? Some drop from enemies, but most are purchased in the shops with the Meseta you get from enemies or missions, or they are synthesized by your partner machinery using ingredients dropped by various enemies.

ajgambino
Oct 4, 2006, 02:30 AM
I'm currently a FFXI player, and yes, the two compare to be very different. It all depends on whether or not you would want to play MMORPG, or an Action MMORPG. A lot of my friends don't like the RPG/MMORPGs because there's no action base. PSU offers something very different from mainstream MMORPGs....action. FFXI would be much more rewarding, considering the time spent doing everything you have to get where you are. Let's face it, you have to dedicate yourself if you want to get far in FFXI, so things would be much more worthwhile and satisfying. PSU will be a lot like PSO. Not as diverse as FFXI, and much more of a simple aspect. I think that's a good thing for a fair amount of people out there who mainly don't have much time to spend. I'm sure getting your rare weapons/armor in PSU will be much easier to obtain than FFXI would. In the Phantasy world, you can get online and quickly develop a party, or solo instantly. I'm purchasing PSU because PSO was the first MMORPG I ever played, and I was easily hooked. It really depends on the player.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ajgambino on 2006-10-04 00:34 ]</font>

galaxy
Oct 4, 2006, 02:38 AM
raitox i think you've got things a little mixed up. if you delete you character, that doesnt stop you from paying. your content ID is still active, so you'd still end up paying. but if you cancel your ID, your character remains intact, but you stop paying. that way, if you want to come back, you can. your thinking the reverse of what actually happens. deleting you character only opens your content ID to allow you to make a new character, it doesnt cancel your account.

so if you ever plan to return, do not delete your character, just cancel the ID.