PDA

View Full Version : wtf is this? This isn't math

PJ
Oct 3, 2006, 04:25 PM
I'll have you all know. I hate math with a fiery passion. I failed it last semester, so I'm doing Grade 11 College math, cause me and math just don't fit. And it's only been the first month, and I'm already failing

And it's no wonder too >_>

So, my teacher has assigned us homework, so I'm doing it. For once, we get easy math homework. Question 1-7 goes something like this

"A car costs $17 990. How much will it cost, including 15% taxes?" This must be back in Grade 4 math. This is easy stuff.

Then I get to question 8, and my teacher yells at me for questioning it's relevance to math. Maybe someone here on PSOW can aid me, cause, well, I'm stumped.

"Alex and Christina have two children and are expecting another. They live in the city, but travel to their family cottage most weekends during the summer. They will need a new vehicle once the baby has arrived. What kind of vehicle do you think they need? Explain your reasoning."

Well, if x=8 and y=-7.465, then the answer will be... wait a second, what's the question? This sounds like a question I'd have been asked in my driving class course (And even then, it'd be mostly irrelevant), what's it doing in my math?

I dunno what answer they want... 5 can fit in a car last I checked, unless they're all overly fat, in which case they'd get some van http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif It's not even the fact that it's a hard question, just the sheer... lack of math.

There's 2 questions next to it that are very similiar. Something about the deciding factors for buying tires. Oh, I dunno, if they don't suck? That'd be a nice start.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PJ on 2006-10-03 14:27 ]</font>

MadEwokHerd
Oct 3, 2006, 04:29 PM
Is this math class or adult living?
Maybe your math book is telling you to get pregnant.
Maybe babies are car companies ways to get you to buy their cars.

Conspiracy!

Neith
Oct 3, 2006, 04:35 PM
Think about this, if they're expecting a kid, and already have 2, that makes a grand total of 5 people.

So they'd need a car with (at least) 5 seats. (unless you count Baby Seats! D: )

The way I see it, it's asking you to calculate the most suitable vehicle by means of the number of people needed.

In that light, I guess it could be Maths related, but it is a rather poor attempt at a Maths question.

Welcome to education I guess, you learn a lot of useful stuff, but a whole boatload of pointless crap too. (I mean, unless you want to be in a heavily science/Maths related career, do you really need Algebra, or Simultaneous Equations, or Trigonometry?)

Look on the bright side, if they give you easy questions, it's easy marks.

astuarlen
Oct 3, 2006, 07:30 PM
On 2006-10-03 14:35, UrikoBB3 wrote:
(I mean, unless you want to be in a heavily science/Maths related career, do you really need Algebra, or Simultaneous Equations, or Trigonometry?)

Yes.
But, umm, that is one strange math problem. Based on the information given, I would recommend the family buy a Hummer (preferably yellow).

DizzyDi
Oct 3, 2006, 09:02 PM
But then you gotta factor in gas mileage and with the price-o-gas these days that'd be kind of a strain on a family of 5. So they'd need a mini-van or something thats family friendly with good miles to the gallon. And thats where SOME sort of math comes in...I guess.

viashino_bey
Oct 3, 2006, 10:09 PM
math isnt only about numbers and variables, its also about logic. this is probably how that question related to math

Saiffy
Oct 3, 2006, 10:29 PM
On 2006-10-03 20:09, viashino_bey wrote:
math isnt only about numbers and variables

Uh...Yes it is.

Math is 2+2=4, it isn't logical thinking. Math is always set it stone.

Sayara
Oct 3, 2006, 10:46 PM
Tell that to LOGIC in Geometry

and PROBABILITY and Stat

astuarlen
Oct 3, 2006, 10:48 PM
I'm going to have to go with viashino here. Math actually can require quite a bit of creative, logical thinking and reasoning--at least at higher levels or when dealing with more complicated problems. For a straightforward example of how math requires logical thinking, consider proofs, algebraic, geometric, or otherwise.
Anyway, I am going to revise my assessment of the vehicle situation in light of Dizzy's post: they need a tandem bike (for the parents) and three ropes (for dragging the kids).

dude3282
Oct 3, 2006, 10:56 PM
All I know is that calculus sucks hardcore. And it only gets worse - I'm told that next year, I get to do the exact same things in three dimensions!

astuarlen
Oct 3, 2006, 11:06 PM
Calculus does not suck hardcore. ;( You will do your triple integrals and you will like them. [/threat][/offtopic like woah]

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 3, 2006, 11:39 PM
I think the whole point of this, is that they want you to use math, likely considering the previous questions you've been asked, and apply it to real-world situations which may very well relate to circumstances that you will find yourself in later on in life. Honestly, I think that's an excellent method to teach its application.

Firocket1690
Oct 4, 2006, 12:09 AM
Part of college is understanding their logic.

viashino_bey
Oct 4, 2006, 12:10 AM
math is almost entierly logic.

using an algebra equation, 2a=4

we use logic to decide that, if two values are inheritly equal, performing the same action upon each value will get the same result.

thus, we divide both sides by two, in order to get a=2

Neith
Oct 4, 2006, 08:07 AM
On 2006-10-03 17:30, astuarlen wrote:

On 2006-10-03 14:35, UrikoBB3 wrote:
(I mean, unless you want to be in a heavily science/Maths related career, do you really need Algebra, or Simultaneous Equations, or Trigonometry?)

Yes.

I haven't used Maths a great deal since School, which I finished 5 years ago. In that 5 years, I have never found any use whatsoever for Trigonometry, or any of the above. I honestly can only see them being of any use if you want to be in a scientific/mathemetics related career (and by related, I mean that it's an integral part of the career).

Trigonometry I can see possible uses for, but things like Simultaneous Equations I'm pretty confident I won't need to use again. Thank God, because I fail at those miserably http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

But anyway, going off-topic a bit I guess- the question originally posted could be applied to mathematics, although I'd rather be taught the 'set-in-stone' method. Most of what the OP posted could be classed as common-sense.

Saiffy
Oct 4, 2006, 08:25 AM
It doesn't matter if you use logic to apply is, the same equation will equal the same thing everytime, because, thats what it is.

This isn't an opinion that you must express to great lengths and explain your reasoning behind it. If 20 people answer a question correctly in math, all 20 answers are the same. If I ask whats the meaning of life to 20 people, and they all give a sensible answer, they're all correct, with 20 different answers. How can you call the same destination logical thinking? At the end of the day, it doesn't matter that you think this is what 2+2=4, because it'll equal that anyways.

History is facts and interpretation(And those 'facts' are usually interpretations themselves, so...), literature is interpretation, science is facts and creative thinking, math is facts.

Well, my grade 11 history teacher said it best, 99% of what people know is useless, because they don't know why the know it.

Edit: OH YEAH, IT ISNT LOGIC IF YOU DONT UNDERSTAND IT COMPLETELY AND MUST THINK ABOUT IT MORE THAN SOMEONE ELSE WHO JUST KNOWS IT DOES

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saiffy on 2006-10-04 06:26 ]</font>

Feelmirath
Oct 4, 2006, 10:51 AM
"Alex and Christina have two children and are expecting another. They live in the city, but travel to their family cottage most weekends during the summer. They will need a new vehicle once the baby has arrived. Suddenly, the youngest child whips out this huge-assed chainsaw and cuts the older child into 1/3. The baby is born, but is premature and has 2 arms and a leg missing. Dad is a dwarf, and Mum is blind. NOW what kind of vehicle do you think they need? Explain your reasoning."
MATHS http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

navci
Oct 4, 2006, 12:46 PM
I don't like math mainly cuz I am really bad at it. I think, however, it encourages you to think in a different angle. Like, when I used to try to solve algebra and such, you need to think one way. No, doesn't work? Try another. The problem of course is, well, when you're in school, most of the time you don't know why you're learning instead of being out doing nothing.

._.

Charmander02
Oct 4, 2006, 03:23 PM
Just "put into y=mx+b form."

That's what my teacher tells me.

ShinMaruku
Oct 5, 2006, 08:37 PM
I'd like to go back in time find the dudes that made math and after they made math, BEAT THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF THEM!
Math is the devil

Psyclone
Oct 6, 2006, 12:26 PM
Meh! Mathematics Rock!

Math can even be used to prove that women are evil!

Premise 1: Women require time and money.
Mathematically: Women = Time times Money (w = t * m)

Premise 2: Time is money.
Mathematically: Time = Money (t = m)

Premise 3: Money is the root of all evil.
Mathematically: Money = SqrRt of Evil (m = /e)

So, starting with Premise 1: w = t * m
Based on Premise 2 we can substitute m for t: w = m * m
Combining like terms we get: w = m squared
Based on premise 3 we can substitute /e for m: w = ( /e ) squared
Rewriting that we get: w = /e * /e
Combining like terms we get: w = e
Thus, Women = Evil.

T0m
Oct 6, 2006, 05:39 PM
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter that you think this is what 2+2=4, because it'll equal that anyways. False! (To start of right away with a Boolean expression.. Could there be a clearer example than Boolean algebra, to show that some forms of Maths heavily rely on logic. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

2+2=4 I approve of this answer. But what about
2+2=5 or
2+2=3? As long as I don't know the context of these equations, I cannnot say, without a doubt that those answers are wrong. I know that in most cases the answer is 4, but 3 and 5 are perfectly acceptable too..

For the uninitiated, this must seem like I'm trying maths while being high. After all, you could be thinking, he is Dutch..

Anyhow, without further info, that 2 could represent a value ranging from 1.5 to 2.4 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif
1.5 +1.5=3.0 rounded off with 0 decimals that gives 2+2=3
2.4 +2.4=4.8 with 0 decimals that's 2+2=5

Now, while -digits representing whole ranges of values- comes into play more often in physics, or chemistry, this certainly was part of my math education. (And ever since this was discussed, whenever someone says "and 2+2=4", I always silently add:"or 3, or 5..")

By the way, Psyclone, surely you know that anything suggesting that women are evil must be flawed?
What if, instead of "Money is the root of all evil" we premise that "Money is the root of joy and happiness"? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Shigecki
Oct 6, 2006, 06:10 PM
The other thing that is flawed is Premise 1: Women require time and money.
Mathematically: Women = Time times Money (w = t * m)

Wouldn't that actually be w=-t-m, after all they require it, means they don't have it, and the word "and" means to add, thus + which would be w= -t+(-m) or w=-t-m http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

ShinMaruku
Oct 6, 2006, 06:11 PM
Women are the root of all evil... peopel think the Devil is man but nah, the devil is a hot as hell woman.. best pussy you will get.. Don't give me the @w@ look, God made it like that man.. most beautiful of his creations...
Then again women are the root of happnies if you can control them or balance them.

Mixfortune
Oct 6, 2006, 06:14 PM
Mathematics and logic are quite applicable to each other and go hand and hand, true. The angle of the question is likely either attempting to have you apply logic to the situation, or the first seven or so questions that you stated were easy actually tie into the eighth question.

If the questions you had given us are indeed the first and final questions, seems to be on the topic of cars... if the rest of the questions also apply to the situation given in the final question, then they want you to apply the answers given from the earlier questions and plug them in.

The final question by itself is indeed lame and not well thought out, as has been pointed out on a few occasions, but it seems a little out of context to me. The tires questions too, seem out of context by themselves... there has to be other information given elsewhere... it's Grade 11 math after all.

Of course, the teacher could've actually explained to clarify rather than just yell at you as you've said.

Firocket1690
Oct 7, 2006, 12:19 AM
2+2=5.
If Thom Yorke is wrong, then I don't want to know what right is. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

REJ-
Oct 9, 2006, 08:20 PM
I have 3 classes this semester that are full of math...

I'm good at math though http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Himmelhand
Oct 9, 2006, 08:28 PM
I find that as I take higher level math courses, I am broken at the simple stuff. Damns!

Q_Anon
Oct 10, 2006, 06:18 PM
This is one of those times where the deal with it policy comes in, your grade is more important than your opinion if you want to succeed. Just console yourself with the fact that eventually it'll all be over.