PDA

View Full Version : Will PSU be able to compete ?

Roken
Oct 4, 2006, 05:26 AM
Do you guys think PSU will be able to compete with other online RPGs even though its not a 'true' MMO ? With Japan getting over/near 100K subscribers (causing the JP online version of the game to be put on hold for about a months time) what effect do you think it'll have on the US market with all this advertising?

--("I think PSU shouldnt be up for this discussion" option is basically if you feel strongly about it not being an MMO and shouldnt be caterogized for 'competeing' )

PrinceBrightstar
Oct 4, 2006, 05:28 AM
I think the better question is what about FFXII, especially now that it has some how gotten out a month early. Is this going to kill all chances of anything with PSU?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2006-10-04 03:28 ]</font>

BlueInfinity
Oct 4, 2006, 05:29 AM
How dare you question the authority of PSU!

*virtual slap*

Rizen
Oct 4, 2006, 05:30 AM
Trust me, it will compete with the other MMOs out there. If I remember correct, PSO was one of the first MMOs out there, so you still have fans from way back there. Another thing is its a bit easier than the other ones and doesnt require much to play with other people nor demanding hrs (meaning back to back). The new elements are pretty much icing on the cake from the old PSO. Also PSU will be a bit cheaper than the other MMOs so that always helps.

Roken
Oct 4, 2006, 05:33 AM
On 2006-10-04 03:28, Jonathan_F wrote:
I think the better question is what about FFXII, especially now that it has some how gotten out a month early. Is this going to kill all chances of anything with PSU?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2006-10-04 03:28 ]</font>

This is true, since PSU has both an offline and online version, but I feel that there will still be alot of players playing the online version of PSU before/after/during their FFXII gaming.

I remember alot of people ( actually on FFXI,in and out of LS', as well as on these boards ) saying they would buy both. Not one or the other. I know thats not ture for everyone, but something to look forward to.

Cross
Oct 4, 2006, 05:50 AM
It's not going to be a hit. I expect it to do better than post-Dreamcast PSO, but I'll be shocked if it even shows up on the same charts as even mid-tier MMOs like City of Heroes, EverQuest 2, etc.

For one, despite the fact that you have to be a raging moron to actually think there's any difference in gameplay, it's not seen as a "true" MMO because the game is instanced instead of persistent. The fact that Guild Wars, Diablo 2 - you could even argue a case for Monster Hunter - offer the same service at no ongoing cost means that to a lot of people, it's just not going to be worth it. Those people tend to be the dumbest motherfuckers around and think that FFXI is 'hard' instead of 'easy and tedious', but they're still the majority of the subscription-paying audience, aside from a lot of casual players in World of Warcraft, and most won't give PSU a second thought.

The other major thing, I think, is that Sega's hurt their credibility (when it comes to online RPGs) a lot by releasing PSO on the GameCube and Xbox, and then by releasing Blue Burst. To the general public, 'Phantasy Star' is now synonymous with 'incompetantly programmed and poorly maintained rehash of a primitive online Dreamcast game from 2001'. If PSO had died with the Dreamcast, Sega would have a shot at a hit game on their hands - instead, their money-grubbing killed most of the good will they had with everybody except their hardcore fanbase, and it's going to be hard for them to draw in anybody else. PSU is a worthy game that can be put up against any other given online RPG, but Joe Q Gamer isn't going to see that - he's going to remember six years of rampant cheating, character corruption, and mishandled servers, and assume that PSU is going to be the same thing.

PSU is probably going to take the vast majority of the remaining hardcore PSO fanbase. It's going to get back the Phantasy Star fans who quit when PSO got embarrassing to watch. It's going to have a lot of trouble drawing in new players, though, and I don't think it's going to be a smashing success by any stretch of the imagination.
With any luck, though, they'll keep enough subscribers that Sega deems it worthwhile to update the servers worldwide on the same schedule, instead of tossing the non-Japanese ones to the wind and digging themselves an even bigger hole to put their reputation in.

happy_peanut
Oct 4, 2006, 05:54 AM
i put Undecided cause I saw kinda how bad the drops were in movies so looks like a FF online just in the future lol gonna be alot of struggling to get gears but im sure the battles will be ok

kassy
Oct 4, 2006, 05:57 AM
My own opinion is it's no where near a substitute for true PC style MMORPGs, however it is a nice pick up n play <u>alternative</u>.

If by "compete" you mean mirror games like FF and WoW in sheer numbers sold, I highly doubt it, PSO was a game that is relatively unknown by comparison, PSU won't reach anywhere near WoW or FF numbers imo, but that's not to say it can't succeed.

PSU can make a name for itself, but I think it's going to take a dedication and support for the game on Sega's part the likes of which we never saw in PSO.

There’s no doubt in my mind that PSU won't have an ample player base, there are a lot of PSO players who will be playing PSU, and the sheer amount of PS2 owners out there already opens the doors for a potentially huge player base, I just think Sega will have to make the PS2 market aware of PSU is all.

On 2006-10-04 03:30, Rizen wrote:
If I remember correct, PSO was one of the first MMOs out there, so you still have fans from way back there.

It was the first online console rpg, but was in no way one of the first MMOs http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Saphion
Oct 4, 2006, 06:17 AM
I really don't mind if it does/doesn't succeed. It's like the little-known bands I like that nobody has ever heard of, kind of makes it personal to me and 'special'. It was the same with PSO. Not a single person I know in real life has ever heard of it.

Miyoko
Oct 4, 2006, 06:23 AM
PSU will be more popular than PSO ever was... Nobody I know out in the real world has ever heard of PSO, but I've actually met a number of totaly random people who are like "PSU? That game looks cool!" ... It's scarey ... ;- ;

Katrina
Oct 4, 2006, 06:31 AM
PSU should do very well. The PS franchise has established a loyal following over the years, and a number of the fanbase, I'm sure, are looking forward to giving PSU a try. The series itself, (history, lore, environment, etc), has been established for a number of years, giving PSU an advantage over newer series of MMO's and online RPG's just starting out.

The console markets have been very limited in games of this genre online (FFXI, EQOA), and many within those communities have been itching for another alternative / something new. (for many reasons).

I can only speak for myself in saying I'm very happy with what I've read about, and discovered (on these forums) regarding PSU, and I'm very much looking forward to the day I can finally enjoy playing the game. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Nani-chan
Oct 4, 2006, 06:38 AM
I really hope it's not insanely popular.

Since, I'm the type of person who likes to have or make a few good/close friends. (5-10 at most)

Howerver I'm un-aware of any advantages of popularity. However disadvantages such as server lag and random shouting are something I see allot in games like ffxi.

It's to early to tell really. I know plenty of good players who left PSO because of hacking/duping issues. I also know many people who are getting increased burn-out from the "popular" MMOs.

If the first few months of release go well then I'd expect a greater turn out after christmas, since some people will get a 360 for this.

AnamanaAU
Oct 4, 2006, 06:41 AM
On 2006-10-04 03:30, Rizen wrote:
Trust me, it will compete with the other MMOs out there. If I remember correct, PSO was one of the first MMOs out there, so you still have fans from way back there. Another thing is its a bit easier than the other ones and doesnt require much to play with other people nor demanding hrs (meaning back to back). The new elements are pretty much icing on the cake from the old PSO. Also PSU will be a bit cheaper than the other MMOs so that always helps.

PSO was no where near one of the first MMOs. There was over a dozen before PSO. The first MMO was neverwinter nights. Not the known 3D rpg, it was a sprite based, aol mmorpg that ran from 1991 to 1997.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights_%28AOL_game%29

Kaply
Oct 4, 2006, 09:19 AM
There's a lot of things they did to kill the potential for the game. They try to market it towards an MMO template, but it's just not quite of the same calibur. One of the best things about this type of game is just the ability to pick up the game and beat the crap out of stuff. They should have included a networking option for players to connect to each other rather than their own servers to allow them a chance to play the game among friends. They should have attempted to make money off of expansion packs for the game rather than charging a monthly fee and limiting content. Or if they implement both models concurrently include free online time for the expansion packs.

I think combat needs to be a bit more complex. It's very flashy which is appealing, but it's not complex. There's only three significant factors in combat right now. Elemental resistance, weapon type resistance and PA usability. Amongst the trash enemies, there's not a lot of tactics involved in killing them. Some of the bosses do have interesting characteristics but for the majority of the game players will be fighting the trash enemies.

Online mode could use a storyline. Instead of individual missions like what's currently implemented, have overall quests involving multiple missions that result in a larger reward. Give players an incentive (other than to kill boredom) to visit the other areas.

I voted that PSU shouldn't be placed into this discussion because the only link to MMO that this game has is that it's online and has very limited interaction with other online players.

AnamanaAU
Oct 4, 2006, 09:22 AM
If you bag the game so much, Kaply, then why do you even post in this forum?

Kaply
Oct 4, 2006, 09:31 AM
Just to get into flame fests with people like you.

Saner
Oct 4, 2006, 09:33 AM
PSU will begin the circle once again.

it will have returning PSO fans, and newcomers that are fed up with FF11, WoW, etc. etc. so it will be successful.

despite its drop in the charts, it's still a success in Japan that will continue the grow. it will be the same over here.

Jarel
Oct 4, 2006, 09:37 AM
I personally have played FFXI and other MMORPGs and I have to say I welcome the playstyle of PSU wholeheartedly! I Loved FFXI alot but due to the tedious gameplay I fell out of love quickly. I just can't wait till a "true" original MMORPG for the 360 comes out. ( Which now will be Marvel Universe Online. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Hurrah! I am pressing my spandex in expectation! )

Dhylec
Oct 4, 2006, 09:40 AM
I think PSU is somewhat better than PSO in term of fans & popularity, maybe even better than that due to the attention it has been having. PSU doesn't need to compete with other online games. PSU is quite unique in its own ways that it will attract fans by that. So far, I think that's true.

happy_peanut
Oct 4, 2006, 09:43 AM
...Jarel Marvel Universe is still coming out? i thought it was cut? O.o n am I the only one affraid of what online play is gonna be like based on the movies showing online meseta drops n item drops >< ?? lol i guess if im the only one scared about it guess it cant beh that bad >< http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif Hope you all Enjoy PSU !! soooo sooooon

Lil Newmans FTW!

uhawww
Oct 4, 2006, 09:59 AM
On 2006-10-04 04:41, JubeiSaotome wrote:
PSO was no where near one of the first MMOs. There was over a dozen before PSO. The first MMO was neverwinter nights. Not the known 3D rpg, it was a sprite based, aol mmorpg that ran from 1991 to 1997.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights_%28AOL_game%29

I actually played this game from 1993-1995.
Good times, as I was a fan of the old school gold-box D&D PC games back then.

Zabot
Oct 4, 2006, 10:05 AM
Ill Put it this way, i have been throughout most of the eastern US everywhere from minnisota to the right and from NY down. and in every friend i have made, or talked to online through yahoo, forums whatever, i have brought up PSO, PSOBB, and now the new PSU, and everyone woh has ever played it say, HELL YEA, i have never met anyone who played it and went, "neh didnt really like it" and everyone who knows about PSU says there going to get it. Something else so note is, why would we want people who play so many other MMO's to play they would just compare it to others and want thigns it doesnt have, and on top of that they would tell others if they didnt like things abotu it and try to get them to play other things, so in short they would take away people from the game, so I KNOW that PSU will be fine, there are plenty of people who are stoked about it, also, another thing is that, at least where im from, its not really all over the news, and a lot of people still dont know about it. but when it comes out and people start talking and what not, it will sell, PSU IS GOING THROUGH THE ROOF, HELL YEA, TURN IT UP!!! IF YOU AGREE GIVE ME A WOOP WOOP!!!

GIHeavyDuty
Oct 4, 2006, 11:51 AM
i cant say how well it will do. but i can tell you that it will capture me for at least 6 months. every PSO seems to just lure me in and i lose my self for a bit. Alto some of the game play has lacked in the years but one thing that always has me coming back is the people who play the game. they all truely love the game and comrodmanship amung players is not matched by any other online game i have ever played. altho i have seen much bickering and head butting in forums, i honestly have yet to see much of it in game out side the normal "guild drama" witch some times cant be avoided. I love the world pso has alowed me to vist and i love its populous. This game is the only game i can say im proud to of been a part of even if it was only as a player.

hutang
Oct 4, 2006, 12:32 PM
I think PSU will do quite well. For every huge PSO fan out there, prob 2 or 3 other people are going to come try out the game. I know, for instance, that prob 5 people I know are going to grab PSU on Oct. 24, just because I've talked so enthusiastically about it over the last few weeks and years.

I think it will do well too just because people want to have fun. I don't know anyone who doesn't get bored of the "walk 2 miles to finish this quest, now walk 5 miles to finish this quest" tediousness of WOW. PSO seems a little more focused on just having fun. Log on and be killing beasts with a team in 10 seconds. I think this is a huge draw.

FrogKicker
Oct 4, 2006, 01:05 PM
While I wish PSU would stick WoW in a burlap sack and knock the piss out of it all day, I don't think it will do that well, but it will do well enough.

I also started playing MMOs back in the early 90s(nothing can touch UO, it is teh bestest, disagree and you can go choke on a waffle). Out of all the different play styles I have come across PSO blew my friggen mind, while not being a true MMO it is the best style I have ever seen. PSU should do very well for itself, and if a true MMO is ever made based aorund the fighting styles of PSO/PSU...I think I would dwindle away into the nothingness that is pure contentment.

Sevenfold
Oct 4, 2006, 01:37 PM
This message board should be proof enough, there are few games, with such little backing and hype, that have this many dedicated people talking about it. Which, in my opinion, makes the game that much more worth it.

Eclavdra
Oct 4, 2006, 01:42 PM
I think it will do pretty well, since it's going to be available on three platforms from the moment it launches.

PSO is semi-legendary. This is the first true sequel to PSO since the original came out over 5 years ago. That plus the fact people, at least some people, are getting tired of same-old, same-old mmo's... it could just be PSU is coming out at the right time to be something special in NA.

We'll see.

Zalana
Oct 4, 2006, 03:07 PM
If PSU can get nearly 5000-10000 people online then it's doing good. If it can't then it's not doing so good. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif If the game isn't advertised well, then who's going to hear about it?

Losodo1976
Oct 4, 2006, 03:26 PM
I don't think PSU should be put into the same life-draining category as MMO's, lol.

There's tons of games like WoW, Everquest 1 & 2, etc... PSO was always different from those games. It was a console junky's online RPG. Not one of those awful point-and-click-combat RPG's like on the PC... *shudders*

You know, real combat, lol!

PSO/PSU are in a class all on their own. There aren't any other games like them. The usual PC MMO's can kiss my ass, lmao. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif