PDA

View Full Version : Someone Tell me how this game works

akilieseye
Oct 4, 2006, 11:05 AM
ok this is getting crazy, i looked high and low for some info about PSU but not finding what im looking for

to start off i never played a phantasy star game very new to it, but i did play FF11 and everquest

i cant understand the lvl cap and lvl'ing

its cap'ed at lvl 30 and theres only 3 classes
isnt that a little boring , or is it at lvl 30 do some quest to unlock new classes

and is the online play like all other mmorpg games where you get a group of 4-6 players go to a camp and just grind out some exp to lvl???

im not understanding the concept of the game yes its online but not like none i seen, FF11 was he hardest game to play but it looks like a peace of cake in front of psu

what really gets me is the 3 classes that can not be right, wheres the mag warrior rouge theaf??

please someone clear this confusion up for me

foamcup
Oct 4, 2006, 11:25 AM
Check here first.

http://www.psupedia.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Kou-Diacyper
Oct 4, 2006, 11:26 AM
Christ on a bike.

That is all.

SephYuyX
Oct 4, 2006, 11:27 AM
Bolding answers.

On 2006-10-04 09:05, akilieseye wrote:
ok this is getting crazy, i looked high and low for some info about PSU but not finding what im looking for

to start off i never played a phantasy star game very new to it, but i did play FF11 and everquest
Play PSO then, youll get a feel for how PSU will be

i cant understand the lvl cap and lvl'ing

its cap'ed at lvl 30 and theres only 3 classes
isnt that a little boring , or is it at lvl 30 do some quest to unlock new classes
FFXI was capped at level 50 when it came out, PSU is capped at 50, not 30. 3 classes yes, there have always been 3 classes, but you can sub jobs so to say, when SEGA unlocks it

and is the online play like all other mmorpg games where you get a group of 4-6 players go to a camp and just grind out some exp to lvl???
You can solo everything in PSO/U, you dont need a group, and its not a grind compaired to FFXI.

im not understanding the concept of the game yes its online but not like none i seen, FF11 was he hardest game to play but it looks like a peace of cake in front of psu
Wow.. I dont even know what to say to that one..

what really gets me is the 3 classes that can not be right, wheres the mag warrior rouge theaf??
Whats a theaf? is it a leaf?

please someone clear this confusion up for me

Go play PSO for gamecube of xbox and youll get a feel for PSU.

akilieseye
Oct 4, 2006, 11:30 AM
ok i never said ff11 was a good game, just a hard one(thats what she said) and i said from the start im a noob to phantasy star , but i think i got it 3 starting classes lets say i take force at lvl 30 theres 6 difrent brance offs i pick warlock take that to lvl 60 or when ever and i get to chose again i pick summenor,???/ or still not it

Zarbolord
Oct 4, 2006, 11:36 AM
Each class just defines a group of different ways you could play. Forces (mages) represent 3 groups: Booster/unbooster (boost attack, def, evasion...), buffer/debuffer (mainly debuffer, whichi s giving a special stat to your enemy or friend, like burn or freeze), walking fireworks (the damage mage). For Rangers you have other three: Buffer/debuffer(same as forces but from further away from enemy), trap setter (put traps and then you can become a Protranser, expert in trapsetting, kinda like a ninja in other RPGs), and heavy damager (do loads of damage from far away, more damage on one enemy, less but to many enemies, etc...). Hunters are special as they are basically the ones that are close up. It depends if you want to be a tank (damage reciever), debuffer again, or damage whopper (giving double damage than others, you don't really care about other stats than your ATP (attack)). then you get to mix those classes. So you have 9x9=81 classes. Don't be fooled by appearance.

Phalynx
Oct 4, 2006, 11:36 AM
Stick to FF11.

Axios-
Oct 4, 2006, 11:39 AM
That's still not it. At the beginning, you'll pick among the 3 classes, Hunter, Ranger, or Force. That's basically how it was in PSO, and it worked. In PSU, they've added the new element of switching classes. Now, you can toggle between the 3 classes at will (for a price). However, the more important addition in PSU is the expert classes. I believe there are seven expert classes. Three of them are stronger versions Hunter, Ranger, and Force. Another three are combinations of two classes (Hunter/Force, Hunter/Ranger, Ranger/Force). The last class is a trap-setter, and little is known about it.

This may seem very odd, and, well, it is. PSO and PSU are very unlike typical MMOs (WoW, FFXI, EQ). It's not point and click; it's more hack and slash (at least, PSO was. PSU's system seems much more comprehensive) It sounds very alien on paper, but the formula works in the game. PSO was my favorite game and I'm sure it is/was the favorite game of many members here. The Phantasy Star games aren't cookie cutter versions of other online games. They're quite unique and really require a spin to know if you actually like it or not.

Note: While what Zarbolord said is true, those 'groups' aren't official classes but rather playstyles. They may play differently enough to be considered separate, but it's not like you choose 'Buffer' and level up that class.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Axios- on 2006-10-04 09:42 ]</font>

Zarbolord
Oct 4, 2006, 11:41 AM
I still say that you can play the game in 81 different combinations.

SephYuyX
Alright.. lets look at this from a FFXI perspective.. Right now the level cap is 50, first of all, with 3 'jobs' + hybrids + 'ultimate'. Hunter, Ranger, Force, no warlocks or SMNs..

Your main level does not effect your job. You can take on the Hunter job and level it up, while your still getting base EXP.. kind of like Ragnarok Online.

Lets say you get Hunter to level 10, then you want to play Force, so you level that to 10, byt now, your main level is probably 15 or so. So you want to go back to Hunter and level that more, do you have to start over? no, it stays at 10, just like in FFXI.

Here comes the sub part.

When SEGA unlocks it you can do 'subjobs' Hunter/Force or Force/Ranger, or you can be just be a main job, but you get benefits other than what you would normal get. The expert class so to say, instead of being just a Hunter, you can be a Expert Class Hunter, with more abilites and such..

Youre lucky im bored at work, go read some stickys and stuff.

PS. This game is a lot easier and less stressful than FFXI.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SephirothYuyX on 2006-10-04 09:44 ]</font>

Phalynx
The point of the game is to devlop your unique character, not pick one with pre determined skills. You pick your stlye of play, which is a big reason im drawn to a game like this. Your classes just determine your overall stats, from then on its up to you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phalynx on 2006-10-04 09:43 ]</font>

Wubbie
Oct 4, 2006, 11:47 AM
Look... There are simply 3 classes, get that through your head... This is NOT an MMORPG... It's NOT FFXI or EVERQUEST... It's PSU...

You play as 1 of three classes... You don't need a tank, a healer, a status inflicter ETC in your party... Anything will suffice... You just want to kill.

Please READ some information... Read at PSUpedia... Read anywhere, just don't ask us questions that are all over the place.

Drown
Oct 4, 2006, 11:49 AM
These last couple of descriptions seem pretty accurate. PSU will be unlike anything you've played before. However, I think we would all recommend it.

Particularly since PSU is considered to be just a fun game, not frustrating in any way, shape, or form. I think you'll like it if you try it.

Ullias
Oct 4, 2006, 11:53 AM
On 2006-10-04 09:05, akilieseye wrote:

If its anything like PSO then its probably better to think of the gameplay style being kinda like a mix between an MMORPG and a 3d platformer. In FFXI and others the case is usually having to sit in the same spot for hours killing the same thing over and over again until you finally lvl up or die of boredom. In PSU you progress through a massive area killing everything you see which personally I think sounds far more fun

akilieseye
Oct 4, 2006, 12:23 PM
thanks alot complete understand now

next question,
but first keep in mind i asking in total fun so no need to get defensive, btw i hate ff11 lol

farming, is it droped items created items or both

Earthsunderer
Oct 4, 2006, 01:19 PM
Lets say that PSU is more like Diablo in 3D and with scifi-anime backgrounds. And the control's not turnbased, more like the Zelda-hack&slays, but still a little different.

RamenEater
Oct 4, 2006, 01:26 PM
Don't worry man, these game companies know how to leech your money. If you are worried about it getting boring in 2 weeks, it probably won't. They want your money and they know how to get it.

Sevenfold
Oct 4, 2006, 01:33 PM
LoL this is rich.

EJ
Oct 4, 2006, 01:49 PM
On 2006-10-04 10:23, akilieseye wrote:
thanks alot complete understand now

next question,
but first keep in mind i asking in total fun so no need to get defensive, btw i hate ff11 lol

farming, is it droped items created items or both

Items are dropped in the field and can be synch by using your partner machinery so yes you can either buy, find, or make an item.