Oct 4, 2006, 12:31 PM
i heard that they did waway with symbol chats. is this true? i hope it isnt

sorry if this has been posterd here before, i havent been posting here long

shadynook
Oct 4, 2006, 12:32 PM
yes it is gone, im going to miss it

mechatra
Oct 4, 2006, 12:35 PM
Replaced by cut in chats - in which your characters face pops up in a corner of the screen displaying a chosen emotion. Just search cut in chat and you'll find something.

hutang
Oct 4, 2006, 12:39 PM
Yah.. I'm going to miss it too. *grumble
How annoying, there really is no excuse for sega not to include symbol chat... The only thing I can think is they want to be able to block you from saying dirty stuff, and there is no way to really guard against dirty symbol chats so they just chucked them.
Bastards...

hutang
Oct 4, 2006, 12:42 PM
On 2006-10-04 10:35, mechatra wrote:
Replaced by cut in chats - in which your characters face pops up in a corner of the screen displaying a chosen emotion. Just search cut in chat and you'll find something.

Cut n chats are cool, but none will be as effectively cool as a worried looking kitten making a sad/scared noise when you approach a large boss.

uhawww
Oct 4, 2006, 01:06 PM
My Opinion: Cut-In Chat > Symbol Chat.

I've seen enough stick figures have sex in my time on PSO....

Ryoten
Oct 4, 2006, 01:10 PM
lol. I agree. Even I had my funny moments using symbol chat. My friend made one that looked around before it picked its nose. lol. Well I guess we'll have a much better time with the Cut-in chat.

galaxy
Oct 4, 2006, 01:16 PM
cut in chat is nice because you'd never get to see the faces you spent hours working on perfecting if they didnt have it.

phunk
Oct 4, 2006, 01:19 PM
So whats the abbreviation for Cut-in-Chat, CiC?

Scirrocco
Oct 4, 2006, 01:39 PM
Well seeing as you just coined it, yes that would be it.

Zalana
Oct 4, 2006, 01:44 PM
Hell Symbol Chat was fun. It was fun to see what creative ideas people had whether they were in good taste or not. SSJ!!11!

chibiLegolas
Oct 4, 2006, 01:48 PM
On 2006-10-04 11:16, galaxy wrote:
cut in chat is nice because you'd never get to see the faces you spent hours working on perfecting if they didnt have it.

I agree. It's nice to actually see the details on your character's face and all. And I'm not going to miss the offensive stuff from symbol chat.
True, I'm gonna miss my sad kitty face.
But my main problem with cut in chat is that the emotions aren't varied or extreme enough. They kinda look tame to me. No exagerated or humor option for those who choose it.

No sweat drops, waterfall eyes, tongue sticking out, huge evil grin, ominous back turned/side glances, swirls for eyes (for those confusing/overwelmed moments) etc.
Instead, they went for a bit of a tamed down realistic look (game graphical facial emotions aren't expressive enough for me) and give backgrounds effects to help the expressions along.

IMO, for newmans and beasts, they should have even more exageraged emotions cause of their ears. I want them momentarily perked up in surprise, down when sad, or pushed back when angered, for example.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chibiLegolas on 2006-10-04 11:50 ]</font>

shadynook
Oct 4, 2006, 02:06 PM
i used to have a stick figure guy doing a back flip into an ass, and i had a death star

Eclavdra
Oct 4, 2006, 02:08 PM
On 2006-10-04 10:42, hutang wrote:
Cut n chats are cool, but none will be as effectively cool as a worried looking kitten making a sad/scared noise when you approach a large boss.

So true.

Tystys
Oct 4, 2006, 02:11 PM
On 2006-10-04 12:06, shadynook wrote:
i used to have a stick figure guy doing a back flip into an ass, and i had a death star

Which is one of the reasons why I won't miss Symbol Chat, XD

A2K
Oct 4, 2006, 02:48 PM

I think Cut-in Chat is basically the entire point of face customization.

hutang
Oct 4, 2006, 03:32 PM
[/quote]

But my main problem with cut in chat is that the emotions aren't varied or extreme enough. They kinda look tame to me. No exagerated or humor option for those who choose it.

No sweat drops, waterfall eyes, tongue sticking out, huge evil grin, ominous back turned/side glances, swirls for eyes (for those confusing/overwelmed moments) etc.
Instead, they went for a bit of a tamed down realistic look (game graphical facial emotions aren't expressive enough for me) and give backgrounds effects to help the expressions along.

IMO, for newmans and beasts, they should have even more exageraged emotions cause of their ears. I want them momentarily perked up in surprise, down when sad, or pushed back when angered, for example.

[/quote]

I agree, from what I've seen the expressions aren't varied enough. Like it wouldn't be that hard to make 5 main ones for each. Angry, sad, dumbfounded, happy, laughing. Instead it's like 10 barely different looking expressons. *grumble

BTW, does anyone know if the CiC's come with specialized sounds. Such as the symbol chats did?

Losodo1976
Oct 4, 2006, 03:38 PM
I'll kinda miss symbol chat... but not miss it at the same time.

I saw lots of very talented little "movies" made with the symbol chat. Remember those?

But do you also remember the highly crude and disgusting ones? I can't even utter some the things that I saw, lol. Now that I think about it, I'm glad the symbol chat is gone. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif

hutang
Oct 4, 2006, 03:41 PM
Personally, I found offensive symbol chats creative and hilarious.

Kyuu
Oct 4, 2006, 03:50 PM
On 2006-10-04 13:41, hutang wrote:

Fortunately, there are people who aren't so juvenile as to actually think most of that crap is funny. A couple of the ones I saw were funny, admittedly, but most were just stupid, in poor taste, and not even remotely funny to anyone with a mental age greater than 12.

Parn
Oct 4, 2006, 03:53 PM
On 2006-10-04 13:32, hutang wrote:
Like it wouldn't be that hard to make 5 main ones for each. Angry, sad, dumbfounded, happy, laughing. Instead it's like 10 barely different looking expressons. *grumble
Um, they already have four of the five you listed above.

http://synbios.net/images/faces.jpg

This is your idea of "barely different looking"? You expecting pulsating veins in your character's forehead when he/she is angry, or something? They look pretty over-exaggerated as it is.

DiosGX
Oct 4, 2006, 04:03 PM
Looks like somebody just got owned in the face.

It helps to know what you're talking about if you're going to attempt and devalue content of a game.

RoninJoku
Oct 4, 2006, 04:31 PM
Though I won't miss the offensive "creative" symbol chats... I will really miss the system. I had lots of fun making all kinds of different themed symbol chats and advanced facial expressions that just aren't possible with cut-in-chats... I also think cut-in-chats are kind of awkward and unnatural looking, but oh well...

CherryLunar
Oct 4, 2006, 04:33 PM
Symbol Chat will be greatly missed... But we all have CiC to look foreward to. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

lostinseganet
Oct 4, 2006, 04:39 PM
On 2006-10-04 11:48, chibiLegolas wrote:

I agree. It's nice to actually see the details on your character's face and all. And I'm not going to miss the offensive stuff from symbol chat.
True, I'm gonna miss my sad kitty face.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chibiLegolas on 2006-10-04 11:50 ]</font>
I agree. I think a good comprise would be to be able to send in drawings to become symbol chat.

RuinedReBirth
Oct 4, 2006, 04:59 PM
I loved Symbol chat, but I won't have to come into the lobby with some idiot spamming the same stupid poorly made symbol...I don't know how cut-in-chat works, but if you scan spam the hell outta it the lobby...nothing new.

Does it make some annoying sound or anything? Cause I got a feeling I'm gonna see the same ugly guys face in the corner of my TV...Good thing I don't have a plasma playing PSU - wouldn't want a PSU face burned in my tv. =p

Ffuzzy-Logik
Oct 4, 2006, 06:25 PM
I will miss certain symbol chats (e.g. the http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif and http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif ones, the emo one, my "Give DS" one that was copied by half of BB and altered for practically every uber, etc.), but cut in chat seems grood too.

Cigaro
Oct 4, 2006, 06:32 PM
I will miss my Mr. Peanut symbol, but other than that... eh. No great loss.

uhawww
Oct 4, 2006, 06:38 PM
One thing i love about PSU's chat system is that you can macro everything from Cut-In emotion/Direction/Text color/Voice sample/Sound effect into a single string and set to a hotkey.

I was once in a pick-up group with some folks who all had complimentary JoJo's Bizarre adventure macros, and oh god it was so hilarious I could barely play.

Blueberry
Oct 4, 2006, 06:45 PM
Cut in chat is pretty cool. I didn't even remember symbol chat, actually, and I'm not sure if many non-hardcore PSO fans will. But yeah, there were some good points. :3

Nani-chan
Oct 4, 2006, 07:08 PM
I'm sure people can abuse CiC too.. here's a example...

(Sad Face) Everyone I think I have a fever....

(Excited Face) ... Dance Fever !!!!!
(dance moves)

Nani-chan
Oct 4, 2006, 07:15 PM
Or how about you and your friends performing a play with appropriate faces.

Maybe something simple yet annoying like preforming "All your base" before a boss..

So yeah I'm excited about CiC... I promise not to abuse it though.

Oxidation
Oct 4, 2006, 07:41 PM
Whats going to be worse is that people will have like an angry face or something and saying "I have to take a $**t"
It will be just as rude as before, but at the same time i will probably still laugh http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Chronosv2
Oct 4, 2006, 08:05 PM
It seems to me that Sega is actually giving more power to the roleplayers with PSU. CiC especially. Imagine, if you will, being in town roleplaying a tense encounter with someone roleplaying your rival.

Just so long as CiC doesn't reach across the lobby anyway. I'd hate to imagine the spam that would happen then.

[Slightly off-topic: Sitting also lends itself well to roleplay--and I don't mean like Photon Chairs. Those were cool but were extremely laughable. Of course, I still remember all the RP done in PSOv1 with everyone standing...was still fun. Also, room invites and room decoration changes lend well to RP.]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chronosv2 on 2006-10-04 18:19 ]</font>

Nani-chan
Oct 4, 2006, 08:43 PM
[b][Slightly off-topic: Sitting also lends itself well to roleplay--and I don't mean like Photon Chairs. Those were cool but were extremely laughable. Of course, I still remember all the RP done in PSOv1 with everyone standing...was still fun. Also, room invites and room decoration changes lend well to RP.]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chronosv2 on 2006-10-04 18:19 ]</font>

Oh does anyone have pictures of people sitting roleplay?

I just finished watching Meicyn's standing emotes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7RAjotiqDM
That is so many emotes!

hutang
Oct 4, 2006, 09:07 PM
On 2006-10-04 14:03, DiosGX wrote:
Looks like somebody just got owned in the face.

It helps to know what you're talking about if you're going to attempt and devalue content of a game.

I was basing my assumption off of this video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RFYnxLp1aBg

Also. My goal wasn't to devalue. It was to compare the amount of variety allowed through CiC versus symbol chat. I believe symbol chat allows more distinction (emotion wise) and more creative freedom.

What I find amusing is your life. What was the purpose of your post? To make yourself feel good? To make me feel bad? I'm sorry if I don't have the import and can only base my opinions on the videos released of the content in discussion. Be a little more respectful. If you have something to add to the argument add it, but if your purpose here is to make others feel bad or yourself good, then your the one getting owned cuz your a joke of a human and you probably don't even know it.

galaxy
Oct 4, 2006, 09:09 PM
i myself am somewhat of a roleplayer, and cut in chats make me really excited. I think it will also be extremely helpful to macro in cut in chats during those times when your about to die and need healing...that way, the healer knows EXACTLY who to do go and doesnt have to figure out where the bubble is coming from.

but my hope is that, over time, as sega introduces new content and stuff, they add additional cut in chats, so we build a large repetoire of them as the game grows.

hutang
Oct 4, 2006, 09:13 PM
On 2006-10-04 13:50, Kyuu wrote:

On 2006-10-04 13:41, hutang wrote:

Fortunately, there are people who aren't so juvenile as to actually think most of that crap is funny. A couple of the ones I saw were funny, admittedly, but most were just stupid, in poor taste, and not even remotely funny to anyone with a mental age greater than 12.

You make a lot of assumptions in your argument. Perhaps you need to be a little more open minded. You can dislike offensive symbol chats and I respect your opinion. I like offensive symbol chats... that makes me somehow juvenile or under the mental age of 12?

Sinue_v2
Oct 4, 2006, 09:19 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Sinue/faces.jpg
Is that supposed to be angry? Looks to me like he's trying to blast a sideways dookie...

As for symbol chat, I won't really miss it. It would be nice to bring over my Dreamcast symbol, and my "I'm really a man ****wad" annoyance symbol chat - not to mention my perverted ones, like the ficofiliac and the ever popular "Guy in a wheelchair getting a BJ". I never even considered that last one perverted... it was a public service announcement. Don't neglect handicapped people.. they need love too. Kinda like a "The More You Know" commercial for PSO.

Meh... I've been flashing those for the past five years. I'm ready to move on.

DizzyDi
Oct 4, 2006, 09:29 PM
On 2006-10-04 17:08, Nani-chan wrote:
I'm sure people can abuse CiC too.. here's a example...

(Sad Face) Everyone I think I have a fever....

(Excited Face) ... Dance Fever !!!!!
(dance moves)

Thanks for the idea. /thumbs up!

Kyuu
Oct 4, 2006, 09:45 PM
On 2006-10-04 19:13, hutang wrote:

I like offensive symbol chats... that makes me somehow juvenile or under the mental age of 12?
Well, yes, honestly. Mostly just juvenile, the mental age thing may be going a bit overboard. I was basing that off of your admitted penchant for being self-centered and childish (when you said you liked to trick people using telepipes to do Falz by yourself, and that you liked when people used to drop their weapon and meseta when they died, presumably because you're one of the bastards who stole said weapon/meseta).

But as far as this topic goes, yes, it is juvenile to really enjoy annoying and offending others. If you're not bothered by that, that's fine. It's your life.

hutang
Oct 4, 2006, 09:59 PM
On 2006-10-04 19:45, Kyuu wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-10-04 19:13, hutang wrote:

But as far as this topic goes, yes, it is juvenile to really enjoy annoying and offending others. If you're not bothered by that, that's fine. It's your life.

Well that other post was a semi-joke. But as far as the topic goes.. I never said that I liked annoying and offending others with my symbol chats. I think they are funny tho. I loved coming into the lobby and seeing all the dirty stuff people came up with. Anyway that was just a sidenote. I genuinely miss all the cool clean funny symbol chats too.