PDA

View Full Version : Should I pre-order a copy from EB Games?

LordHakutsuru
Oct 5, 2006, 12:40 PM
Okay, I live in Quebec and there's a law that everything has to be in french... and I know some games gets released weeks later sometimes because of that law, Anyway I took that from a random website;

TOP STORY: Another Thing We Can Blame The French On

To start with, my heartfelt apologies go out to all those who live in the province of Quebec in Canada.

Why am I sending out my apologies, you ask? Well, you may not be able to buy your favorite American releases anymore.

Quebec is officially enforcing "Quebec Law 101" against game sellers. The law states that unless "commercial displays", such as CD/DVD covers and promotional materials contain the game's name in French above the English (if there IS any English), the retailers will be fined.

Because of this, Quebec stores got rid of LOTS of their inventories. Some stores had to dump 75% of their stuff!

A charge of 7,500 Canadian dollars will be fined PER offense. That means if you have 5 games that don't follow the law, that's $375,000 right there.

No doubt this will do major damage to the Quebec gaming scene, possibly even killing it completely. Only a few game companies are putting out the right packaging, such as Square, Microsoft, and Sony. Other companies, like Nintendo, Konami, and Sega, haven't implemented French language packaging yet.

I am so sorry, Quebec. Again, my heart goes out to you.

You guys think i'm better off pre-ordering online or go to one of their stores on the release date? (btw I called this morning and the girl told me it was listed on October 26th...)

I know my friends had bad experience in the past with pre-ordering games online, like not getting the game on the release date or the day afterward.

Cry0
Oct 5, 2006, 12:41 PM
damn frogs. i feel sorry for you :/

Shinomaru
Oct 5, 2006, 12:45 PM
It probably ganna hit selves october 26th. cause like i said in my other post. the 24th is when sega/sonic team ships out the boxes to mainly all store's/ their factories. so probably wont be at peoples houses and some stores until the 25th 26th. unless some stores make a deal like they do now a days with sega/sonic team and sega ships the game out to them 2 days earlier so they can actully start selling the boxes on 24th.

also how true is that artical you found? try googling it off and finding a goverment site with that rule.

phunk
Oct 5, 2006, 12:50 PM
I order any game online or buy it via gamefly.

Then again, I stopped supporting Gamespot and EB a while back.

LordHakutsuru
Oct 5, 2006, 12:51 PM
*takes a cookie box*
*reads the french side*
*reads the english side*
*gives a cookie to Shinomaru*

SephYuyX
Oct 5, 2006, 01:03 PM
Did they ban the movie Canadian Bacon in Canada?

LordHakutsuru
Oct 5, 2006, 01:08 PM
Okay, delete this topic.