PDA

View Full Version : Is it really aceptable to have newbies online?

Ryogen
Oct 6, 2006, 02:07 PM
NOTE: By aceptable I kinda mean nessesary.

I noticed a lot of people will be jumping online without even touching offline first chance they get, but the majority of people would ask questions and what to do when they could have learned a little somthing by playing Phantasy Star Universe offline for at least an hour or two.

Technically, offline players could defientally(sp) become more experienced (in what they are doing) than the ones who started online first. Sure tutortials and the internet my help you, but things are different when you experence your character and situations first hand.

Not everyone is right when it comes to how-to-do somthing. How to take care of your charcter or maybe partner machinery. Even us PSO veterans, we will still get confusion. That's why we play offline and get a feel of what's going on.

But when I see people online and find out they don't even know where places are, how to go to my room, or how to do somthing such as feeding partner machinery or equipting a weapon or using an item. I don't know how to look upon that player...but ask "Did you play offline first?".

PSO and PSU should always start offline. We won't miss a thing playing online unless you are one of those power hungry people wanting to get to the top.

That is just how I see it, when you play offline and go online next, your no longer a newbie as you know the majority of things you are doing are falling into the right places, but to see someone only who don't know the basics of things, why are they online?

Sure, I am one to help newbies, but it's best to help themselves and go offline. I'm excited about online too, but I want to know what I'm doing first.

What about you guys, what are your views on this?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryogen on 2006-10-06 12:08 ]</font>

foamcup
Oct 6, 2006, 02:09 PM
I was going to play offline at first, but I acquired the JP version a few weeks ago and have been playing around with it and learning stuff, so I'll prolly go straight to online.

Natrokos
Oct 6, 2006, 02:11 PM
Well if the rumors are true and there is a free online beta coming out on 360 for a week....I will redeem that time to learn the basics of the game and hopefully be ready for when it's really released.

Rizen
Oct 6, 2006, 02:12 PM
Well, one correction: There are still newbies even when they play offline then go online, its just they dont ask as many questions about the basics.

Thats said, I agree. Problem is people dont care about offline just like people dont care about reading the instructions on a assembly desk or even the game for crying out loud.

As much as I would seem ideal, we cant prevent people from just jumping online first without taking effort to learn the game offline. (Huge problem on PSO as I remember *person enters lobby* "How do i move!!111?")

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rizen on 2006-10-06 12:13 ]</font>

Cross
Oct 6, 2006, 02:13 PM
The only reason to play offline is if you pirated the game and can't play online or if you want to see the story. The gameplay is so simplified offline (what with the inflated stats you get) that I'd rather have somebody hop online and learn to play right than assume that it's alright to play online the same way you play offline.

The reason that people are asking how to use items and feed their PM now is that they don't read a lick of Japanese. Playing offline wouldn't help them, other than giving them an opportunity to waste their time dicking around in menus they don't understand.

uhawww
Oct 6, 2006, 02:13 PM
You basically learn everything there is to know about PSU gameplay in the first few chapters of the offline game. So from my experience, it's a good idea to at least put some time into offline before going online.

Also, this has been a constant mantra of the devlopers, play offline before going online.

Now that they are beginning to update the PSU Episode 2 Missions (at least, for the JP version that is) you will definitely want to have experienced the full offline mode before continuing the story line.

RoboKy
Oct 6, 2006, 02:14 PM
It's not like monster hunter, where offline equip can go to online and people who have'nt done offline are naked and die in one shot. And I think it's kind of funz to go online and feel the learning curve and getting lost in town or whatever. Also while your playing offline and people are playing online, the person playing online would still be learning so he would have a lvl advantage and an online gameplay advantage (for online only content) against you since both online and offline are pretty similar, right?

Rizen
Oct 6, 2006, 02:15 PM
On 2006-10-06 12:13, Cross wrote:
The only reason to play offline is if you pirated the game and can't play online or if you want to see the story.

My brother wont allow me to use his account to play online so...not always true. But yeah, many people do care about the story this time around.

Ryogen
Oct 6, 2006, 02:17 PM
On 2006-10-06 12:13, Cross wrote:
The only reason to play offline is if you pirated the game and can't play online or if you want to see the story. The gameplay is so simplified offline (what with the inflated stats you get) that I'd rather have somebody hop online and learn to play right than assume that it's alright to play online the same way you play offline.

The reason that people are asking how to use items and feed their PM now is that they don't read a lick of Japanese. Playing offline wouldn't help them, other than giving them an opportunity to waste their time dicking around in menus they don't understand.

They can play offline mode just to get a foothold at playing. I'm pretty sure you can learn all about the stats in offline mode before screwing around with online stats and not knowing what your doing. Use offline as a stepping stone rather than a ladder. Whatever you learn in offline you can use/adjust to online.

Knownoes
Oct 6, 2006, 02:18 PM
If someone asks a pretty basic question, like in your example how to get to their room, then i'd simply tell them how. And then maybe tell them that it might be a good idea to play the story mode to get a feel for the game.
But regardless, it only takes a couple of seconds to answer someone's question, and it's more productive than saying RTFM.

Magician
Oct 6, 2006, 02:21 PM
Hmm, I never played PSO online. But I played offline all the way through to finish. Unless there are offline achievements for the X360, I really have to intention of playing offline at all. The thought of doing so gives me a been there, done that kind of feeling. I'm excited to interact with a gaggle of human players for a change.

Ryogen
Oct 6, 2006, 02:21 PM
On 2006-10-06 12:14, RoboKy wrote:
It's not like monster hunter, where offline equip can go to online and people who have'nt done offline are naked and die in one shot. And I think it's kind of funz to go online and feel the learning curve and getting lost in town or whatever. Also while your playing offline and people are playing online, the person playing online would still be learning so he would have a lvl advantage and an online gameplay advantage (for online only content) against you since both online and offline are pretty similar, right?

Not necessary. If a level avantage really bothers people's ego http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif. People screw up when they they test the learning curve online, but offline you can learn the basics about it. A person offline would have a stronger advantage knowledge wise becuase there isn't the content of online (people, parties, etc) to slow them down. So when offliners go online, online people may have an advantage at level, but the last thing a offliner will ever do is screw up on stats and bad dicisions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryogen on 2006-10-06 12:22 ]</font>

A2K
Oct 6, 2006, 02:25 PM
I rather like being a mentor. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

AC9breaker
Oct 6, 2006, 02:26 PM
Newbie is a relative term like noob and all the other titles people have come up with. Since there is no central authority on the matter to whom one could reference to, the meaning is that which can be interpreted by anyone. So in a sense, we all are newbies and yes, Newbies are acceptable. They are also not acceptable and we all aren't newbies and don't have to be newbies.

Rizen
Oct 6, 2006, 02:27 PM
On 2006-10-06 12:25, A2K wrote:
I rather like being a mentor. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

So do I http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif. But theres a few things that should be learned before going online.

Ryogen
Oct 6, 2006, 02:27 PM

And by being one, would you play online or offline first :/

FrogKicker
Oct 6, 2006, 02:32 PM
I remember when I first started playing WoW back at launch, ahhh the memories from that horrible game...>_> Anywho, when I logged on for the very first time, it took me a matter of minutes to get the hang of the layout and controls. PSU shouldn't be complicated to understand when playing for your first time, unless of course, you ride a shorter bus than the rest of us.

I blame nubliness on laziness, people are just too lazy to try and figure stuff out anymore. Take these forums for example, instead of searching through posts to try to find an answer, they make 500 topics asking about PvP in PSU, is hacking going to be a problem, how hard is it to farm meseta online...ect...Bloody laziness is what it is.

Trial and error I say!

A2K
Oct 6, 2006, 02:32 PM
On 2006-10-06 12:27, Ryogen wrote:

And by being one, would you play online or offline first :/

I'd certainly recommend to someone to play offline for a bit if they're really lost, but if they have questions I'd be more than happy to answer. I don't really think it's necessarily mandatory, though.

Rizen
Oct 6, 2006, 02:35 PM
Btw, I recommend anyone playing this and plan on getting the game to play the first 2 Chapters of Story, it explains alot.

Ryogen
Oct 6, 2006, 02:37 PM
LOL the lazyness to learn offline? Funny one Tr8. Well WoW is an online game only. Warcraft III is a perfect example of how you learn offline before going on battle.net.

FrogKicker
Oct 6, 2006, 02:41 PM
It's not laziness, I am not buying PSU to play by myself offline. I have little to no interest in it. All I was saying was, people with half a brain do not need to play offline to learn how to play online.

Doh, hit enter too early.

The way I see it. offline != online. Sure the controls will be the same but tactics will be different. Controls are super easy to figure out but the tactics for playing with other people vary. They also cannot be learned offline due to the fact that...well, you are wingin it solo.

So you can play offline and learn all you want to and become a pro, but the second you go online you are still a nub when it comes to grouping up with others.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tr8ergirl on 2006-10-06 12:45 ]</font>

Musashy
Oct 6, 2006, 03:13 PM
I for one plan to go straight to online because its my favorite aspect of the game. Sure the offline story is probably great but i enjoy teamwork and communication as well. I am certain that the instruction manual to the game will explain how things work just as well as the offline mode. So not everyone will be a "nooby" when they go straight to online play. Sure they might not know where a few things are but how hard is to answer a simple question for someone. You should make their experience with the game enjoyable not bash them for asking an honest question. The term noob should be reserved for more deserving players that cheat or make the online experience unenjoyable for those just starting out.

ProfessorZ
Oct 6, 2006, 03:32 PM
Hell no newbs should be beheaded and have their heads stuck on pikes!

Kaply
Oct 6, 2006, 03:56 PM
Everyone on this board is newbie to me, does that mean you all shouldn't be able to play with me online? No, of course not.

If you want to take this further, since this is an internet enabled game, players should be able to access the web to find out how to play the game and to make characters that are able to assist the team complete missions faster and more efficiently. Thus I shouldn't see any rangers online at all!

But obviously this isn't the case and people are free to play what they want. So long as they have a brain and don't drag down/grief the party it shouldn't matter.

Just to add, offline brings a jaded experience for online play, your character's are quite a bit more powerful and some of the PAs aren't available. It also doesn't really teach you much, I don't think there's ever a time you had to enter your room to do anything. Usually you start from there and go out. Also game mechanics like the universe selector isn't available offline and from that universe selector you can also go to your room. So offline doesn't really teach you much at all.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kaply on 2006-10-06 14:01 ]</font>

Ether
Oct 6, 2006, 03:58 PM
The only thing you could possibly screw up by going online right away is your PM, and with the item to reset them being added soon, soon even that wont be permanent

Ryogen
Oct 6, 2006, 04:03 PM
On 2006-10-06 13:58, Ether wrote:
The only thing you could possibly screw up by going online right away is your PM, and with the item to reset them being added soon, soon even that wont be permanent

But to depend all of your screw ups on one item instead of saving it would be even better.

Saner
Oct 6, 2006, 04:34 PM
people can learn by themselves online until they understand the mechanics. it doesn't take much brain power to figure out the basics, even going online right away.

Musashy
Oct 6, 2006, 04:38 PM
So try not to hinder someone in need of help. If you are more experienced then you should be able to lend your advice or guidance. This does not mean that you should ask for items constantly or make yourself an annoyance. Each person has an equal oppertunity to gain items from work so go out there and work for them. People who ask how things work or where something is at should be answered respectfully and not labeled a noob. Many people will be starting phantasy star for the very first time so try to make it a good experience for them. Phantasy star is only fun because of the people who play it so try not to frighten them all away by ranting and flaming.

Jozon
Oct 6, 2006, 04:52 PM
I'll only be online first if everyone else who I'm playing with decides online first, otherwise I'm going singleplayer until they message me to play with them, though I'll probably start my character and then wait for something like that to happen so I can just jump in and join the group.

Though I do think singleplayer is a good start, and I'll definitely do it inbetween playing with friends since I don't wanna be a liability to the team.

Hemorrhage
Oct 6, 2006, 05:31 PM
When I get this I am going right online. I never even plan to play offline because it does not interest me one bit.

PSU's controls shouldn't be too hard to learn within the 1st 5 minutes. And there is also the instruction book for help http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Cause_I_Own_U
Oct 6, 2006, 07:14 PM
If you dont want to help a newb then dont, i for sure am only geting this game because of the online part and will not waste my time on offline, and if I have a q uestion that will take someone 5-10 seconds to answer I will ask and hope people like OP just keep there mouth shut and let people who actaully like helping new players help newbs

Musashy
Oct 6, 2006, 07:22 PM
Couldnt of said it better myself lol.

AlphaMinotaux
Oct 6, 2006, 07:23 PM
If you know how to spam the attack button you alreayd know how to play and are good enough to be in my parties :/ ill make up where you slack. its meant to fun experience.

Alexandrious1
Oct 6, 2006, 07:43 PM
I advise playing offline for at least maybe 2 or 3 chapters, youd feel more confident going online afterwards me thinks.

Ill have the game on the 24th, ill be spending that day playing offline since the servers may go ballistic for awhile.

Well...ill be playing once I can find someone willing to email me a step by step on configuring a xbox 360 controller correctly, or try to figure it out myself.

God I can build comps but I have a hard time with controllers with sucky drivers. bleh.

Numnuttz
Oct 6, 2006, 07:55 PM
theres nothign wrong with people jumping online at the very beginning. i know some people who plan to do that. Of coarse though im not going to do that since the sp seems really good to me. also i rather learn whats happening before jumping ahead. you know what i mean if you read about what teh new patch holds. for the people who decided not to read it, lets just say you meet some people.

Garroway
Oct 6, 2006, 08:35 PM
I am somewhat puzzeled by the motivation behind this subject. When a person purchases a video game (like any software) what they are actualy purchasing is a limited use liscense to use that particular software plus the media the data is stored on (ie the dvd, instruction manual, etc.) That person does not own the software itself. Again, when one goes online with this specific software (meaning PSU), another Liscensing Agreement is applied, this one more restrictive and deffinative. It is very decisive on what is conisdered acceptable behavior as far as the use of that software is concerned. As long as a person is not violating these agreements, that person should have the right to use the software having purchased the liscense. I personnaly have not read the Liscensing Agreement for PSU, however I am quite confidant that playing Network mode first is not against that agreement. So one can conclude that if a person is not violating the Terms of Service then no other person has the right to crtitism over that persons enjoyment of the game.

RamenEater
Oct 6, 2006, 08:56 PM
Dude you suck for making this thread.

Shinomaru
Oct 6, 2006, 08:58 PM
dunno about you.... but i know when playing a game the best history of playing that game is when you are a newbie and dont know anything ESP. when your doing it with friends. so i cant wait to go online andbe a newbie with my friends and not know where anything is and learn withthem =P

Musashy
Oct 6, 2006, 09:02 PM
I agree, exploring and developing your character from a beginner is very fun. Heh its not the destination but the journey there right? Of course its fun to be all powerfull but why do you think people start new characters after awhile? Because its fun to develope your character.

Okibi
Oct 6, 2006, 09:08 PM
On 2006-10-06 18:58, Shinomaru wrote:
dunno about you.... but i know when playing a game the best history of playing that game is when you are a newbie and dont know anything ESP. when your doing it with friends. so i cant wait to go online andbe a newbie with my friends and not know where anything is and learn withthem =P

*pokes you* We shall relive our horrific days as newbies! Despite being new to things its always fun being new with friends...as mistakes can be funnier with them around. =p

Shinomaru
Oct 6, 2006, 09:10 PM
yea like one time in ffxi me and okibi and another friend, took the boat at a to early level and skeleton pirates attacked us we were so scared it was funny

Gunny
Oct 6, 2006, 09:13 PM
-shrugs- My opinion, as long as they learn offline, or online in a private setting. I could care less.

Alisha
Oct 6, 2006, 09:22 PM
when pso episode 3 card came out i played a match offline to get a taste of the mechanics. i plan to do the same in psu plus im somewhat interested in the story. i think everyone should at least complete story mode once at thier lesuire since there are story missions online.

Musashy
Oct 6, 2006, 09:42 PM
When i am satisfied with what i have accomplished online i will play the story mode.

Merumeru
Oct 6, 2006, 09:50 PM
XD whether you start off online or offline, you're getting experience x.x and if i screw up on crap online, i can just delete and remake my charry in a better way~

there will always be super newbs in all online games XD nobody ever reads the manuals or pays attention to tutorials~

Drown
Oct 6, 2006, 10:00 PM
I don't know about the people who play the japanese game, but I'm pretty sure there will be a pretty large influx of people who come online on the 24th not necessarily knowing what they need to do.

But, since they're not performing brain surgery, I'm tempted to say it doesn't matter one bit.

I'd be careful not to tell people what they should and shouldn't know unless I was damn sure that I will NEVER need help or advice about anything on the game, myself.

And, ultimately, there is the fact that I am paying good money for this game, and I'm gonna do whatever I damn well please with it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

AnamanaAU
Oct 6, 2006, 10:17 PM
This happens in every game you play. You can't avoid being a newbie at something and it's quite rude to complain about this.

So people don't know what they're doing when they start? Why not get off your high horse and teach them the ropes instead of being an elitist prick? It's people like you who ruin the online gaming community.

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 6, 2006, 10:19 PM
+1, let newbies in, as long as they don't act disrespectful and such. remember that we were all noobs at one point or another.

mech259_
Oct 6, 2006, 10:35 PM
There is a tutorial online that takes about 10 minutes.

Nephias
Oct 6, 2006, 10:49 PM
Nice troll topic,I give it a 7/10.

AlphaMinotaux
Oct 6, 2006, 11:14 PM
i installed the japanese version found my way to monsters in 5 minutes and started spamming the attack button.. omg i mastered the game already http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif plus i dont speak one bit of japanese lol

crazyrobot
Oct 6, 2006, 11:22 PM
awww Some ppl have RPG attention deficit disorder like me. there is no way to control how ppl decide to go about playing a game like this. be positive and friendly online and even an elitist will accept newbies if not then they are jerks.

Ether
Oct 6, 2006, 11:24 PM
PSU: A Minute To Learn... A Lifetime To Master

Shye
Oct 6, 2006, 11:26 PM
While I do agree that disrespectful players (new or otherwise) should at least have a server all their own on which they can irritate one another until the cows come home...

I also believe that there's a sense of community when playing online. Friendships can be forged both helping people with questions, and by asking questions. I'd rather play with people who enjoy discussion, help one another, and generally get along well, than people who are only focused on the elitest aspects of the game.

I think there's a line to be drawn, though. Disrespectful and obnoxious players might deserve to be ostracized, but being "new" to a game shouldn't be one of the prerequisites.

[edit]: IMHO anyway...

p.s. I can't stop clicking on Ether's sig. It's like... digital crack.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shye on 2006-10-06 21:27 ]</font>

crazyrobot
Oct 6, 2006, 11:32 PM
WE ARE THE WORLD.... WE ARE THE CHILDREN... lol

Nephias
Oct 6, 2006, 11:37 PM
Rika's so cute she'll give you diabetes.

Shye
Oct 6, 2006, 11:38 PM
I guess we could go all zen with this and say:

"When you yourself need ask no more questions, only then will you rise above newbishness."

Tystys
Oct 6, 2006, 11:44 PM
I agree, Ryo. It'd be nice for people to actually check out the offline mode before anything. Ofcourse, the game shouldn't be too hard to learn, though, it seems like a more pick up and play thing. Maybe the tutorial will cover alot of the basics and decrease on the amount of questions asked.

GOD THE HUGEST TYPO IN EXISTENCE LOL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tystys on 2006-10-07 08:54 ]</font>

Ryogen
Oct 7, 2006, 12:17 AM
On 2006-10-06 17:14, Cause_I_Own_U wrote:
If you dont want to help a newb then dont, i for sure am only geting this game because of the online part and will not waste my time on offline, and if I have a q uestion that will take someone 5-10 seconds to answer I will ask and hope people like OP just keep there mouth shut and let people who actaully like helping new players help newbs

Maybe you should shut your mouth and understand my point rather than jumping to conclusions. I'm not going to defend myself, becuase you obviously didn't read.

Ryogen
Oct 7, 2006, 12:24 AM
See what I mean is that when a person takes the effort to learn somthing than it's a good thing. Espically in a game with an offline mode. Yeah the manual works wonders and being a newbie is never a bad thing. Being a newbie is being new, and we all are new, but my point is about the first week. Well you be the one to take the effort to learn somthing before you play online. You can play offline, you can read a manual, but when you learn about PSU online first, it's going to be like learning....humm...like learning Diablo online.

MaximusLight
Oct 7, 2006, 12:48 AM
Haha, off course a game needs newbies, without them no more pros can happen

Ryogen
Oct 7, 2006, 12:55 AM
I like newbies, but I mean you know. Take a look at the manual for a good 5 minutes. I'm just talking about this for like the first 3 days. If you don't want to play offline, at least read the manual while your booting it up. Actually I thought about it and Each System has time to read...well maybe not 360.

Cry0
Oct 7, 2006, 03:43 AM
i amways go straight into it. then i realize i need the manual. but i still dont read it, go offline. play that. and read the manual in the evening. then go online again once i got off finished.

Kenshin075
Oct 7, 2006, 04:00 AM
Is it really aceptable to have newbies online?

This is the most arrogant topic I've seen in a while, God forbid that there is a newbie playing online. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Haruka-sama
Oct 7, 2006, 04:03 AM
On 2006-10-07 02:00, Kenshin075 wrote:

This is the most arrogant topic I've seen in a while, God forbid that there is a newbie playing online. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

heheh, I was debating whether to post something like that or not... well, either really arrogant or just really bored =)

Ryogen
Oct 7, 2006, 08:57 AM
On 2006-10-07 02:00, Kenshin075 wrote:

Well at least I filled my topic with paragraghs and not 2 sentences. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Merumeru
Oct 7, 2006, 09:04 AM
XD i think ill read the manual during bathroom breaks and thats about it

chewydawg
Oct 7, 2006, 09:22 AM
This is the worst topic ever. Every MMO is goin to have newbies deal with it!!

Ryogen
Oct 7, 2006, 09:29 AM
On 2006-10-07 07:22, chewydawg wrote:
This is the worst topic ever. Every MMO is goin to have newbies deal with it!!

Will you read the topic instead of the title? Your the second person who didn't get my point and thinks I'm just a noob hater.

chewydawg
Oct 7, 2006, 09:35 AM
I guess people at least need to read the mannual for like 5 mins.

FrogKicker
Oct 7, 2006, 09:43 AM
Learning to play diablo? Wtfmate...I had a harder time learning how to ride a bike. (Which took 5 minutes). When you buy PSU , play offline and 'learn' how to play online all you want. Hell, take a month. The way you respond to most of these posts you are obviously eight cent short of a dime anyways, you'll need all the help you can get.

Silvernix
Oct 7, 2006, 09:43 AM
The problem is, The game, like any MMORPG, can me totally a waste of time if your grouped with someone who isn't ...... well, we're gonna just say.... not very good.... and it's annoying when it's because hey decided to jump the fundimentals.

I personally DO play to go online, but I will relax on the storyline first, and even the Extra Mode before I jump online.... and even then, that depends on my friends. If they decided that they want to go online, then I'll go.... but right now, I don't see that happening because none of them are Phantasy Star Fans like I am....... even though one of them is the one who introduced me to Phantasy Star in the first place.

chewydawg
Oct 7, 2006, 09:49 AM
i'm just gonna play ofline for like 2 days and then stay on online mode(I won't even think about touching extra mode)and give sum ppl some lee way when its just the first week. I doubt that we'll know everything by the first week

Authenticate
Oct 7, 2006, 09:55 AM
Newbies are dumb and stupid and ignorant and morons and all kinds of silly names. They should all burn the second they turn on PSU. Burn in the fires of H311.

Yeah I'm trying to start a fight. I'm sorry.

Or am I? Dun dun duuuun.

chewydawg
Oct 7, 2006, 09:59 AM
newbies are new(and ignorant) so if you dont like em ignore em. there many ways to do this!

Ryogen
Oct 7, 2006, 10:16 AM
On 2006-10-07 07:55, Authenticate wrote:
Newbies are dumb and stupid and ignorant and morons and all kinds of silly names. They should all burn the second they turn on PSU. Burn in the fires of H311.

Or am I? Dun dun duuuun.

...yo man that's not nice. We are all newbiews at one point or another. Well I do think about flame starters that way.

zemog
Oct 7, 2006, 10:28 AM
I was seriously considering jumping right online because I'm too excited to play, however I'm now reconsidering that completely. For one... Sega really went and did what many of us have been waiting for for a long time, expecially me (I baught PSIV on release day - one of my all time favorite RPGs), a fully developed story mode!! I was stupid to tell myself that I may not even bother with it till weeks later at least... They really did seem to go all out with the story and put a lot of effort into the cutscenes, being fully action captured and everything... The developers say to play the full offline game first, and that's so that people appreciate their efforts. Also, now that I know there are online quests which deliberately continue the plot, it would be senseless not to play offline first. So that's now my plan!

Once I have the game in my ps2, with an Enet cable and my PS2 keyboard only a couple feet from me however... my better judgement may yet again get thrown right out the window. Guess I'll just need to wait and see. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

LetLoveBleed
Oct 7, 2006, 10:35 AM
about the most enjoyable aspect of the game for me is helping new players and making new friends , irrespective of the standard of their playing ability.

...or mine for that matter

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 7, 2006, 10:41 AM
On 2006-10-07 08:16, Ryogen wrote:

On 2006-10-07 07:55, Authenticate wrote:

Or am I? Dun dun duuuun.

...yo man that's not nice. We are all newbiews at one point or another. Well I do think about flame starters that way.

well, try taking a look at his sig, I don't think he's being serious about what he's saying about noobs. if he is, then yeah, i agree with what you say.

Shinomaru
Oct 7, 2006, 10:44 AM
When i went to hospital and sperm bank area the stupid nurse gave me manual instead of porno! I WAS FORCED TO LEARN AND GET OFF AT SAME TIME....

chewydawg
Oct 7, 2006, 10:44 AM
maybe hes not serious and we can all be friends

chewydawg
Oct 7, 2006, 10:45 AM
huh

chewydawg
Oct 7, 2006, 10:55 AM
someone tell who isn't a newbie in PSU

crazyrobot
Oct 7, 2006, 10:59 AM
awww Newbies are more fun than veterans

Genobee
Oct 7, 2006, 01:53 PM
I don't play to play story mode. Just gonna save it for a rainy day. Any person who is not an idiot can figue out a video game. If I can figure out how to play EVE with out a tutorial, Then I think PSU shouldn't be a problem.

Mag_Launcher
Oct 7, 2006, 02:53 PM
Well, hey, even longtime PSO vets are gonna be thrown for a bit of a loop. I know I had a bit of a rocky start until I got my PS2 controller binded right and started messing with it.

I'm not touching the Story Mode, PM, or the synthesis stuff until I can read it in english, though. But at the current moment, I feel confident that I can go online and not be flagged as a noob by other *cough* "early adopters", although I'll probably be shocked at how badly nerfed (and incomplete) online mode is. Sounds like ST rushed the game out and decided to patch in later what they didn't finish. (Including 3 or more entire weapon types excluded from offline play)

Drown
Oct 7, 2006, 03:33 PM
I think what irks people the most is just the arrogance of saying that people should play the game offline so that they don't hold up the players(if they exist) who have already mastered the game. Especially since no matter how much offline someone plays, there are still going to be people good at the game, people bad at the game, and people who are just plain moronic. An hour into the game, I'm sure I will still be lagging behind a few players, but still end up better at the game than some of the people who played offline.

Kinda reminds me of WoW, when all of the elitist jerks ran around telling people that if they don't have tier 1 or 2 epics, they're newbs.

And, since I sincerely doubt that the online lobbies are going to be completely empty on release day because everyone is playing story mode, I think that this topic is probably a pretty fantastic waste of time.

Genobee
Oct 7, 2006, 03:59 PM
On 2006-10-07 13:33, Drown wrote:
I think what irks people the most is just the arrogance of saying that people should play the game offline so that they don't hold up the players(if they exist) who have already mastered the game. Especially since no matter how much offline someone plays, there are still going to be people good at the game, people bad at the game, and people who are just plain moronic. An hour into the game, I'm sure I will still be lagging behind a few players, but still end up better at the game than some of the people who played offline.

Kinda reminds me of WoW, when all of the elitist jerks ran around telling people that if they don't have tier 1 or 2 epics, they're newbs.

And, since I sincerely doubt that the online lobbies are going to be completely empty on release day because everyone is playing story mode, I think that this topic is probably a pretty fantastic waste of time.

Agreed, God forbid an Eltist answer a question, No no there much too importanet and busy for that.

Genobee
Oct 7, 2006, 04:02 PM
On 2006-10-07 13:59, Genobee wrote:

Agreed, God forbid an Eltist answer a question, No no there much too important and busy for that.

I've been palying PSo since it came out and I just learned yesterday how to get diffrent wraping paper.

Genobee
Oct 7, 2006, 04:03 PM
On 2006-10-07 14:02, Genobee wrote:

On 2006-10-07 13:59, Genobee wrote:

Agreed, God forbid an Eltist answer a question, No no there much too important and busy for that.

I've been palying PSO since it came out and I just learned yesterday how to get diffrent wraping paper.

No matter how long you play a game there is always some thing to learn.

Drown
Oct 7, 2006, 04:06 PM
Oh my goodness, did you guys see what he just did? My god, that is so clever, quoting me, and calling me an elitist. Wow, this completely invalidates my opinion, and proves that he is just that much better than me.

Look, if you have a real point, please make it, but all of this infantile "quote - hypocrite" stuff was kinda charming in grade four, but I think we can probably set it aside now and try to have a conversation like human beings.

Genobee
Oct 7, 2006, 04:09 PM
On 2006-10-07 14:06, Drown wrote:
Oh my goodness, did you guys see what he just did? My god, that is so clever, quoting me, and calling me an elitist. Wow, this completely invalidates my opinion, and proves that he is just that much better than me.

Look, if you have a real point, please make it, but all of this infantile "quote - hypocrite" stuff was kinda charming in grade four, but I think we can probably set it aside now and try to have a conversation like human beings.

Um no actyualy I was agreeing with you on your point and thenI made a sarcastic comment against elitists and by no means was it directed at you.

Just to clear that up for you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Genobee on 2006-10-07 14:09 ]</font>

Drown
Oct 7, 2006, 04:11 PM
Aww great, thanks a lot Genobee. Now I look like a fool.

Well... if anyone asks, you disagreed with me, and I outwitted you... Okay?

wraith5k
Oct 7, 2006, 04:11 PM
Um no actyualy I was agreeing with you on your point and thenI made a sarcastic comment against elitists and by no means was it directed at you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Genobee on 2006-10-07 14:09 ]</font>

Oh snizaps.

Drown
Oct 7, 2006, 04:13 PM
On 2006-10-07 14:11, wraith5k wrote:

Oh snizaps.

Yeah... yeah... I misread that one http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Genobee
Oct 7, 2006, 04:14 PM
On 2006-10-07 14:11, Drown wrote:
Aww great, thanks a lot Genobee. Now I look like a fool.

Well... if anyone asks, you disagreed with me, and I outwitted you... Okay?

your forgiven.

and what the hell why did it triple post me?

wraith5k
Oct 7, 2006, 04:16 PM
Uh.... you tried to edit it and phailed miserably? Every post has something new.

Or maybe your that damn 1337. Postin from the future and shit. Or the past.

(Is Genobee in the new AC game?)

Losodo1976
Oct 7, 2006, 04:21 PM
I'm going online first. I don't even think I'll bother with the offline mode unless servers are down. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Genobee
Oct 7, 2006, 04:25 PM
On 2006-10-07 14:16, wraith5k wrote:
Uh.... you tried to edit it and phailed miserably? Every post has something new.

Or maybe your that damn 1337. Postin from the future and shit. Or the past.

(Is Genobee in the new AC game?)

Yea from Nexus he had the black AC. He's in Last Raven too but as an AI.

Well I think I know how the triple post happened. You see I had to travel into the future to be Born and then travel back in time to prevent my death and become a zombie and some where inbetween there the space time countiunium made me triple post in a paradox. Yes it was either triple post or have the universe collapse into it self. All though the universe collasping in on it self is intresting but it would mean I wouldn't be able to play PSU.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Genobee on 2006-10-07 15:00 ]</font>

Musashy
Oct 7, 2006, 04:49 PM
Ryogen I believe you need to just let people learn they way they want to learn. They paid for the game and should enjoy however they want too. Also if you didnt want people to judge this topic because of the title then why make the title so harsh? You shouldnt suggest for people to do anything because it makes you sound like you think your pro. Your probably really good don't get me wrong but you do not have to rub our noses in it without our asking.

Asim
Oct 7, 2006, 06:58 PM
Newbies are possibly the greatest people to play games, because they usually have or had something going on for them irl; otherwise you have anime lovers who although have much skill with the game, they still pray towards Japan and that's gross. Newbies usually know none of that from the ones I personally know, they are ">_>;;" virgins and this is a very good thing.

just saying being funny (or having good tasts, if not that) and an overall normal person is better than being an exceptional or even helpful person, imo.

terrible post

talk about the passio---n

chewydawg
Oct 7, 2006, 09:58 PM
I don't like this topic its swaying people to play offline mode first and then play online. ppl should be able to do nearly whatever they wanna(what im implying is cheating) do with no problems.

Strider_M
Oct 7, 2006, 10:06 PM
Well I'm going to start by playing online... and I usually figure things out by wondering and reading the Manual.... otherwise if there's something I really don't know... I'll ask...

and I'll gladly help any newbies...

chewydawg
Oct 7, 2006, 10:09 PM
On 2006-10-07 20:06, Strider_M wrote:
Well I'm going to start by playing online... and I usually figure things out by wondering and reading the Manual.... otherwise if there's something I really don't know... I'll ask...

and I'll gladly help any newbies...

dats rite do wat u wanna do =)

vg_geek86
Oct 7, 2006, 10:15 PM
Ill purchase the strategy guide, learn everything I need to from there, then jump online release day http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Dai-Kitana
Oct 7, 2006, 11:13 PM
I will be reading the strategy guide and playing offline to be sure I appease these vets. No one should be allowed to play PSU online, unless given permission by the vets on these forums to do so.

You may not group with these vets unless you are of the optimal race selective in accordance with class. Any variance outside the norm (as determined by these vets) is gimp. Melee weapon selective must be of the highest possible DPS. Any flaw in technique or style when engaging while grouped with vets is unacceptable.

(Note: Please consult a vet regarding the remaining criterion you must meet before being allowed to play online).

Nuclearranger
Oct 7, 2006, 11:50 PM
Well I played PSO since DC v1 and I am currently playing offline JP psu so when NA version comes out and i beat the story mode. God I hope im ready by that time lol

Ryogen
Oct 15, 2006, 02:43 PM
I thougt I would bring this back up. I see A LOT of 360 players asking about questions that you learn in tutortial or your PM tells you. I was a little right about my theory. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying that many people didn't read in game, but it's less effort to make a topic.

Rizen
Oct 15, 2006, 02:44 PM
Agreed with before and still agreeing.

Bleemo
Oct 15, 2006, 02:46 PM
On 2006-10-15 12:43, Ryogen wrote:
I thougt I would bring this back up. I see A LOT of 360 players asking about questions that you learn in tutortial or your PM tells you. I was a little right about my theory. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying that many people didn't read in game, but it's less effort to make a topic.

Doesn't help that people usually get fuXX0red trying to play the Beta tutorial though.

Zeppelin36
Oct 15, 2006, 02:54 PM
i just played the beta and figured everything in 30 to 45 minutes. i wish i had a 360 i miss the beta my friend is so lucky... D:

krika
Oct 15, 2006, 03:06 PM
On 2006-10-07 21:50, NuclearRanger wrote:
Well I played PSO since DC v1 and I am currently playing offline JP psu so when NA version comes out and i beat the story mode. God I hope im ready by that time lol

Lol.
No, you have to beat Extra mode also. Then you are ready to go. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: krika on 2006-10-15 13:06 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: krika on 2006-10-15 13:07 ]</font>

Musashy
Oct 15, 2006, 03:07 PM
Does it really kill you to answer a question or two? If it does then Psu is goin to be hell for you because someone will ask questions the entire time you play.

Animosity
Oct 15, 2006, 03:09 PM
On 2006-10-06 12:07, Ryogen wrote:
NOTE: By aceptable I kinda mean nessesary.

I noticed a lot of people will be jumping online without even touching offline first chance they get, but the majority of people would ask questions and what to do when they could have learned a little somthing by playing Phantasy Star Universe offline for at least an hour or two.

Technically, offline players could defientally(sp) become more experienced (in what they are doing) than the ones who started online first. Sure tutortials and the internet my help you, but things are different when you experence your character and situations first hand.

Not everyone is right when it comes to how-to-do somthing. How to take care of your charcter or maybe partner machinery. Even us PSO veterans, we will still get confusion. That's why we play offline and get a feel of what's going on.

But when I see people online and find out they don't even know where places are, how to go to my room, or how to do somthing such as feeding partner machinery or equipting a weapon or using an item. I don't know how to look upon that player...but ask "Did you play offline first?".

PSO and PSU should always start offline. We won't miss a thing playing online unless you are one of those power hungry people wanting to get to the top.

That is just how I see it, when you play offline and go online next, your no longer a newbie as you know the majority of things you are doing are falling into the right places, but to see someone only who don't know the basics of things, why are they online?

Sure, I am one to help newbies, but it's best to help themselves and go offline. I'm excited about online too, but I want to know what I'm doing first.

What about you guys, what are your views on this?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryogen on 2006-10-06 12:08 ]</font>

there skill will progress at the same but the one whos been playing online will have a higher lvl character and more friends then someone who started offline.

Ryogen
Oct 15, 2006, 03:09 PM
On 2006-10-15 13:07, Musashy wrote:
Does it really kill you to answer a question or two? If it does then Psu is goin to be hell for you because someone will ask questions the entire time you play.

Nah read though the topic. I'm not saying that newbies will kill the game or I will get annoyed with them. Re read.

Krupp
Oct 15, 2006, 05:04 PM
I don't think matters what a person does, I only played the first chapter of offline then never touched it again when I imported the JP version. New players aren't necessary but theres no avoiding them, it's just a game. If you don't like answer questions and all that just make a game and get on with your business. I'd be annoyed if I had to play offline first because I'm getting this to play with my friends, and probably most people are from PSO trying to meet up with friends, and etc.

Zeppelin36
Oct 15, 2006, 05:11 PM
i dont care about newbies unless they beg for stuff and when i mean beg i dont mean "hi im new do u have any stuff that could help me out or any weapons?" i mean "hey can i please have some rares please" and then after you say NO becuase they keep begging you will be hearing this everywhere u go, "please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please " and then they won't shut up so then just give em a crappy rare then they wont bother u.

EC_Subbie
Oct 15, 2006, 05:24 PM
lol..I saw some beggers yesterday... in the beta.. >< Omg plz give me 300m I need teh big sword!11 I'm going right online when I get the game, since I have over 15 hours logged online now..and know my role in combat, where to find shops/place, how my PM and snythesis works etc It only takes a few days of basic playing to really learn it..so I see this beta period as my training.

Zeppelin36
Oct 15, 2006, 05:35 PM
yeah i know but why beg for weapons on the BETA when ur only gonna have em for another uhh 3 DAYS!
and yeah i figured everything out at my friends house for a sleep over we were up from 12:00 am to 4:00 am non stop playing. well he did play an assload of Wow but me i went straight without blinking lol so i got the hang of everything.
but i wish i had the xbox 360 and the beta with it

EDIT: why coudnt there be a PC or PS2 beta?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zeppelin36 on 2006-10-15 15:36 ]</font>

b3n
Oct 15, 2006, 05:42 PM
All noobs in PSU should get an instant permanent ban. My leetsauce is extra spicy so i can master games before i play them. If somebody cant they shouldnt be allowed to play.

CrazySwayzee
Oct 15, 2006, 05:44 PM
why complain if nothings going to change,
if your wasting your time trying to prove a point by saying noobs are bad then you should just not say anything at all as no one really cares in the end.

keep in mind noob's are people just like you,

do you hate being called a noob? I thought so.

Farrmark
Oct 15, 2006, 06:07 PM
Personally, I'll head Online and create a character so that I can play some online missions with friends and PSH clan members. I'll also be playing though the Offline Game in my own time and at my own speed so that the later story elements make sense http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I think the grounding I've got using the Beta will stand me in stead for the Online mode immediatley http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Zeppelin36
Oct 15, 2006, 06:14 PM
On 2006-10-15 15:44, CrazySwayzee wrote:
why complain if nothings going to change,
if your wasting your time trying to prove a point by saying noobs are bad then you should just not say anything at all as no one really cares in the end.

keep in mind noob's are people just like you,

do you hate being called a noob? I thought so.

u got a good point but im just saying begging is the only thing i hate...now "asking" is a different story...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zeppelin36 on 2006-10-15 16:15 ]</font>