PDA

View Full Version : PS2 HD

RamenEater
Oct 7, 2006, 01:28 AM
I've had an HDTV for a while, but i've never taken advantage of it for gaming. You can actually buy HD cables for the PS2 is this correct?

watashiwa
Oct 7, 2006, 01:42 AM
Yeah, they're called component cables.

There isn't very many PS2 games at all that support "HD". The only one that I know of, off the top of my head, is Gran Turismo 4. It supports 1080i.

There are also a handful of games that support 480p, which isn't HD but ED (Enhanced Definition).. it's still better than 480i.. and component video is still a step up from S-video.. So I still consider it worth it. =)

RamenEater
Oct 7, 2006, 01:43 AM
Oh i thought if you had the cables all teh games will be in HD =/

watashiwa
Oct 7, 2006, 01:44 AM
Nope, 'fraid not. =P If you want every game to be in HD, pick up an XBox360 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif Either that or wait for a PS3 and the new PS3 games. Hehe.

Xx3of19xX
Oct 7, 2006, 05:32 AM
Definately get component cables for your PS2 if you have a TV that accepts component. The image might not be HD or even progressive in most games, but the picture sharpness and colors are much MUCH better than Shit-video or composhit.

Sinue_v2
Oct 7, 2006, 05:42 AM
It's funny that 3of19 should say that - since IMO, the PS2 puts out a shit video signal any way you cut it. It just looks like someone covered a very thin layer of crap all over the image - just enough to distort it. Not to mention it's a bit grainy and very non-vibrant. I don't have this problem with my Xbox or NGC on component - nor do I have it with the Dreamcast. Then again... I use VGA on the Dreamcast and despite what anyone else has to say, there is a very noticable step-up in graphics quality going from Component to VGA, as evident by the X360 from what I've seen.

I never saw using S-Video on the PS2 as any great tragedy. (though of course, I still use Component Monster Cables)

watashiwa
Oct 7, 2006, 06:05 AM
On 2006-10-07 03:42, Sinue_v2 wrote:
It just looks like someone covered a very thin layer of crap all over the image - just enough to distort it. Not to mention it's a bit grainy and very non-vibrant.

I'm using official PS2 component cables on a Sony XBR970 HDTV and the image is just fine.

Just completed Valkyrie Profile 2 using the 480P widescreen mode all the way.. colors were vibrant.. no grainy coating on the screen or anything.

Movies looked excellent..

Dunno what the problem with your set up is.

(Granted, I know the PS2's 3D rendering is not the better of ANY of the systems out.. I don't have any sort of video distortion or color loss problem you're describing.. Everything looks excellent.)

Xx3of19xX
Oct 7, 2006, 06:11 AM
Well, it is still PoS 2, component video won't change that.
It still looks miles better than the other two and about equal to RGB Scart. It's the best you can get out of that hunk of junk.
On Dreamcast the best is VGA, but only because it is the only way to get a progressive scan signal out of the system, so you get a much more solid look to the graphics (comparing to RGB Scart, which essentially is interlaced VGA at 480i).

On the 360 it is a bit of a toss-up between VGA and component. Both enable HD resolutions and progressive scan, but which looks better for you depends a lot on your display. I've noticed some tearing using VGA in for example Dead Rising playing on my roommate's monitor through VGA, which is completely missing when I play with component on my HD projector.
I borrowed the VGA cable to test it out and it seems to be a bit sharper, but with less color saturation.
The main advantage of VGA on the 360 is that it allows you to use the 360's internal scaler to output to your screen's native resolution rather than just sending 720p and letting the HDTV's scaler handle the interpolation and also that you get to upscale DVD movies to the same resolution (which looks ace; now if only the 360 had regionfree DVD playback...)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Xx3of19xX on 2006-10-07 04:13 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Oct 7, 2006, 06:34 AM
What other systems or setups do you have in which to reference that picture quality? I've heard that before from friends locally, and yet I still see it on their systems as well.

Personally, I use a mid-generation PS2 (not sure the exact model number - but at least the model before the slims came out) and Monster Cable PS2 Component Cables. I run those into a KD-CTCA3 Component to VGA adaptor for the PS2 games which support progressive scan. For those that are 480i, I use a ViewSonic N6 Component to VGA adaptor. The KD-CTCA3 is much higher quality than the ViewSonic, since it's strictly Component to VGA with no frills (and about $350). The N6 is nice in that it has a remote control for HDTV channel surfing and can upscale 480p into 1280x1024.

I use a PC moniter exclusively in lue of a television set. I was running a 20" EnVision CRT (I still prefer CRT) until recently when I was given a 19" LG L194WT Widescreen LCD moniter w/ 4000:1 contrast ratio.

Despite varrying image quality between moniters and adapters - the underlaying problem still persists... even when hooked up to a normal HDTV, since I've taken it to my cousin's in Chicago on a visit a few times and used his 50" widescreen LCD/DLP projection (ugh).

And of course - as I've said, I've seen other people's PS2's running on their HDTV's when taking breaks at Halo LAN parties. So that leads me to assume that it's not just a problem in my PS2 or my setup.

watashiwa
Oct 7, 2006, 11:37 AM
On 2006-10-07 04:34, Sinue_v2 wrote:
What other systems or setups do you have in which to reference that picture quality? I've heard that before from friends locally, and yet I still see it on their systems as well.

I have an XBox360 hooked up to my TV, through component, as well as a PC and my cable box which are both hooked up through component.

I don't see the "grainy" film or whatever you say is present on the PS2. Menus, graphics, movies, it's all clear.. and I'm a pretty huge videophile..

I'm currently using a slim model PStwo but I had a normal mid generation PS2, same as you, before and I still never saw this grainy effect.

The only "grainy" effect I've ever seen is when the PS2 is hooked up through composite cables. There's an obvious moire pattern over the image.

Component, through, is all peachy. Very clear.

Mikedot
Oct 7, 2006, 12:51 PM
Or you could just wait untill this comes out

http://www.xploder.net/products/148/Xploder-HDTV-Player.htm

Sinue_v2
Oct 7, 2006, 08:06 PM
That Xploder gadget is just a simple upscaler. Nothing to get excited over. My N6 already includes support for 640x480, 800x600, 852x480, 1024x768, and 1280x720 @ 60-75Hz (selectable) - and 1280x768 & 1280x1024 at 60Hz. It also includes reverse 3:2 pulldown correction, digital 3-D comb filter, and motion and adaptive de-interlacing.

But then again... for $50 including the component cables, you can't expect much. A single pair of component Monster Cables for the PS2 cost more than that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-10-07 18:09 ]</font>