PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Corrupted Saves - is It Possible?

RockPhantom
Feb 12, 2001, 09:37 PM
I was playing PSO Last night with my level 38 hunter that was loaded with weapons and cash, and all of a sudden while I was teleporting to the ship, my DC reset on its own, and my saved game file was corrupted and I lost everything. The game file is still on my VMU but I get the message that I cannot start a game from that file. I am extremely frustrated, almost to the point of breaking my PSO disc in half to release pent up frustration. I called sega and told them about the problem this morning and they said that they'd have a supervisor call me to help me out, and no one has called yet. Does anyone know if its possible to restore a corrput save? You'd think that with all the save state editors out there for PC games and emulators, that a DC save state editor would come out sooner or later.I refuse to delete my corrupted save, in hope of restoring it eventually. I don't want to spend another 80 hours building a new character from scratch! Someone please help!!

Thanks!

Milan
Rock Phantom on PSO

DCKaz
Feb 14, 2001, 08:43 PM
you get an answer from Sega on this?

as far as I know you're screwed.. my 20 FOmarl is still on one VMU unusable.. since then I'm back to a 27 FOmarl..

what can I say I liked the FOmarl I had :b

DCKaz

RockPhantom
Feb 15, 2001, 01:56 AM
Nothing. I think we just screwed! I have lost most of my interest in PSO over this. Why do all the work, when it could happen again?

Milan

ragnarok
Feb 15, 2001, 10:05 PM
Take the proper precautions dude. I lost my great saves twice!!! Was i mad? Yes really angry and upset. But this is just such a great experience to play it that I went right back and grabbed my controller and started it again. This time I am using a proper "official" Sega VMU

DCKaz
Feb 16, 2001, 02:53 PM
Oddly enough I took the exact opposite approach.

The beautiful sega vmu popped out of my controller, I usually get my chords tangled because of the assinine placement of the chord going into the *front* of the controller (I love you Sega, but that was STUPID) - it dropped when I was getting up, VMU popped out on saving - THAT THING HAS NO GRIP!

Since then I've been using a 3rd party VMU/forcefeedback that LOCKS IN, has saved perfectly each time, and the odds of me dislodging that are less than Sega's VMU ducktape and/or glued in.

But even then, it's not all on the VMU's ability to pop out or mess up the save or even detaching something else accidently - watch the broswer 2.6, watch power outs, watch 'black screen'.. and hope :b

I've rebuilt after a 20 FOmarl loss, still glad I did even though it HURT.. got a 32 FOmarl now.

DCKaz

Heero_Yuy
Feb 16, 2001, 03:08 PM
you could technically make the same file twice ya know as a backup.after starting up a game remove the memory card and put in one with 45 blcks free and quit the game it would make another file on another vmu a backup. i can't believe i typed that and i have not already done it well off to secure my files.

DCKaz
Feb 16, 2001, 04:59 PM
it'll ask you to re-put in the VMU you started with.

Not only that, even if you do (like in my case when it popped out) I was UNABLE TO SAVE.

So I would suggest not only would this copy idea fail, you will ruin the use of your current save.

Try it out with a new character and see, but my guess it as best you won't be able to make another character, at worst you'll not only fail to make a copy, but lose access to your current save.

DCKaz

ragnarok
Feb 16, 2001, 09:57 PM
True. also the little switcharoo witht he memory card doesnt work. You get the msg saying somehting like "please put the original card back in. " so you can't do that.

Phantasmal
Feb 28, 2001, 04:43 AM
Rock.. I'm working on the problem right now...

True, on the memory card (from the main DC screen VMU index), you can see your two files there but when I looked at the card through the net (tried attaching the files to be stored away in my email box), there were three files. Two regular ones and one corrupted PSO file.

Ok, so I'm working on transfering the two files back to VMU to see what happens.. I'll keep you posted..

KeyserSoze
Feb 28, 2001, 06:08 AM
There are numerous post here on how to back up your character via email.

In case you haven't read one of them, here is what you do: Use the DC web browser and login to your email account. Mail a message to yourself and attach the two PSO files with it. Now check your mail and save the attachment on another VMU.

Ri
Mar 2, 2001, 01:43 PM
That's not a good idea. I was trying to make a back up with mail yesterday. And my original save file was corrupted http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_frown.gif

Ne0
Mar 4, 2001, 01:39 PM
Ok this happened to me at lvl 56 i called sega as well they said they have no idea. So no idea if they willacall u back. Personaly i think NO. Im almost POSITIVE this happens to everyone at some point, and only happens once. I have no iea why it would go twice rag. maybe U should call sega and tell them to replace ur character. Im going well now lvl 46 Force, newman with VERY rare good stuff. Also if this hasnt happened to you u might wanna becareful... This also has happended to a heap of ppl everyone i knwo actully. What happens is everythign is gone cept the things in bank and the things u had equipted so i suggest u put all good items in bank.

-Ne0

Phantasy
Mar 5, 2001, 05:11 AM
If your save is corrupted, there is no way to fix it. It sucks, but it can happen. Personally, I wouldn't mess around with backing up your character because you will most likely corrupt your original file. How is Sega suppossed to replace your character? Do you think that they are going to just pull a character just like yours out of their butt? I don't think so, and even if they did, how would they get it to you? If you're using third party or if your dog steps on the power button, you're most likely going to lose your file. Best advice is to use Sega peripherals, keep the dogs away from the console, and keep your fingers crossed. Keep in mind that there is only a slim chance of this happening to you, but, even if it did, no game is perfect and, if you ask me, this is one of Sega's best games ever, and most certainly the best game out for the Dreamcast console. In short (or long), stop whining and start over.

MSZ-016
Mar 6, 2001, 05:08 PM
Same to happened to me and my friend. we've lost 2 characters each with 60+ hours game play. DOH! i've called sega and they said they can't do nothing about it. also, if you switch your DC (as i did since my old was broken with really bad sound) you can't play the character you've created with the new DC. I think my problem with losing the character was that i was using 2 PSO games (bought another copy since the sound was really bad but it turned out that my DC was messed up). Now i only play on the new DC and use only the sega VMU's. I haven't had any problems and my new char is now 47 (old one was 76).

poisse
Mar 7, 2001, 09:22 AM
I've just lost most of my items due to a similar save glitch & it's a real pain in the ass. as sega's latest dodgy server move confirms, backing up on another VMU is now a waste of time; but sega, if your f'ed-up game didn't make all our items/characters disappear, WE WOULDN'T NEED TO BACK UP AT ALL, WOULD WE?!!

sort it out, sega! (I know you're reading this!)

Ron
Mar 7, 2001, 10:37 AM
(I'm new so be kind)now I dont now much about sever crashes hell I've only been in one and I was fortunate enough to only get disconected so no BSOD but I did get it once (it wasnt a crash something happenned dont know what) and BAM BSOD first I freaked out then after 5min. I calmed down unplugged my VMU and crossed my fingers and thakfully nothing happened. well thats my 2 cense

Anonymous
Mar 10, 2001, 05:26 AM
I lost 4 characters since Feb 13! Yes FEEL my pain! Well you know what me found out? I use Interact 4x Memory Card (no not 1 character on each page at a time), and an Interact Tremor Pack. My first couple of saves went okay. But then it started to say save was unsuccessful! I would select Try again then it would work. The more I saved, the more I had to retry until it wouldn't work anymore! I figured out that without the Tremor Pack it would save. I experimented 50 times and 50 times it would save successfully w/o pack in. I don't know if this involves just my combonation or if this could happen with other 3rd party accessories. Don't TOTALLY count on Sega VMU. It compresses data increasing chances of corrupting your file. I miss my FRIENDS!!!