PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for a former FFXI player.? ^ ^

Yawn
Oct 7, 2006, 11:49 PM
Hello all! This is my first post on this forum. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif I was just wondering if anyone could answer a few questions, or give any tips to a former FFXI player?

1. I don't have 10 hours a day to commit to this game, will I still be able to accomplish anything?

2. Is it as hard to find a party in this game?

3. Is there anything like NM's?

Thanks so much to everyone who can help me out. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Ether
Oct 7, 2006, 11:52 PM
1. Yes, most missions are under 30 minutes long
2. No. Nothing could be as hard as finding a party in FFXI
3. Sort of... there are rare enemies, but unlike NMs they don't spawn in any set location, you just play a lot and run into them

Nuclearranger
1. PS games are NOT time consumeing like that. You can make a game start a mission and people can join midway there is no gathering a team required

2. partys are easy to get in or make.

3.No clue

OsF
1. Yes, this game is very "pick up and play" you really don't need that much time to get a few levels or catch up with your friends or whatever. Quests may be a different story, but I can't imagine them taking anywhere longer than 2-3 hours.
2. Hell no.
3. NMs?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OsF on 2006-10-07 21:53 ]</font>

Yawn
Oct 7, 2006, 11:53 PM
Omg that is wonderfull! I absolutly hated "lfp"! ><

Maxurion
Oct 8, 2006, 12:04 AM
On 2006-10-07 21:52, OsF wrote:
1. Yes, this game is very "pick up and play" you really don't need that much time to get a few levels or catch up with your friends or whatever. Quests may be a different story, but I can't imagine them taking anywhere longer than 2-3 hours.
2. Hell no.
3. NMs?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OsF on 2006-10-07 21:53 ]</font>

"NMs" Are "Notorious Monsters" in FF:XI. Basically the equivalent of Rag Rappy -> Al Rappy. Or Hildebear -> Hildeblue. Or... well, you get the idea.

Nuclearranger
Oct 8, 2006, 12:05 AM
lfp lol

If ya dugs guna plya hatz thez gotaz tlk teh tlk

* random and i have no idea im tired leave me alone.... *runs*

Nuclearranger
Oct 8, 2006, 12:06 AM
Oh well this game isnt setup like that eather you start in a lobby and then make or join a game like a FPS then you can be in a party of up to 6 people. Then you run threw an area and once your done your back in the lobby.

OsF
Oct 8, 2006, 12:06 AM
Alright, thanks. I'm sure this info will totally come in handy when i'm sitting in class and my teacher offhandedly asks what NMs are. Notes be damned.

Yawn
Oct 8, 2006, 12:08 AM
Wow, I didn't expect to get any replies this late (in Michigan). Especially not this many.

I think by the sounds of it, this game is going to be superior to FFXI... I know hate that game...grumble...

OsF
Oct 8, 2006, 12:10 AM
I am still a believer that FFXI would have done better if it hadn't had ff or xi in it anywhere. Either way, if this game lives up to a quarter of the hype, i'll be quite happy.

Nephias
Oct 8, 2006, 12:11 AM
I Imagine this game will feel like a breath of fresh air for you after the rancid filth that was FFXI.

Ether
Oct 8, 2006, 12:17 AM
I find it ironic how PSO/PSU and FFXI share a lot of the same players, despite being polar opposites as far as the games go

Anyways you may find this thread (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=117666&forum=9&187) interesting, its for FFXI players moving over to PSU

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ether on 2006-10-07 22:18 ]</font>

crazyrobot
Oct 8, 2006, 12:33 AM
awww PSU takes experience, farming, and hunting for rare monsters putting into one big party train as far as what ppl have said and what I have read. FFXI just isnt fun and action based enough to have instant gratification. I look back at the time I wasted on FFXI and over 95% of the time was just waiting around doing absolutly nothing. The only thing I miss about FFXI when I still played is talking with friends and you can just about get that out of any online game. If you're trying to find an online game to fill in the addiction of an MMORPG, I think PSU might be just the game for you (just PSU is probably 99% more fun than FFXI! lol)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: crazyrobot on 2006-10-07 22:38 ]</font>

AC9breaker
Oct 8, 2006, 12:38 AM
Here's a tip. Throw away your FFXI disc.

AnamanaAU
Oct 8, 2006, 12:53 AM
Why does everyone relate this game to FFXI?

They're both completely different types of game.

Natrokos
Oct 8, 2006, 12:58 AM
1. It's Newman not Elf
2. Please put you seat in the upright position and enjoy your flight

That's all I got have fun.

crazyrobot
Oct 8, 2006, 12:59 AM
JubeiSaotome Posted on 2006-10-07 22:53

awww I think ppl are not trying to relate them as mush as trying to find a new game to get out of the addictive torchor known as FFXI. lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: crazyrobot on 2006-10-07 23:01 ]</font>

Nani-chan
Oct 8, 2006, 01:00 AM
Well there are plenty of people here that left PSO because of the large amount of hacking/duplicating..
FFXI, WoW etc was just something else to do.
Now people are getting tired of that and want to try PSU.

galaxy
Oct 8, 2006, 01:02 AM
the frustrating part about ffxi to me, the most, was how much i relied on others help...and not in the sense that you might think. I would have been absolutely fine with a party of equal-to-close leveled individuals working together towards a common goal, and helping each other out. but what ended up happening was me having to lean on all the higher lvl characters that i knew for almost everything besides leveling. it got to the point where nothing i owned seemed like i really worked to achieve it.

in PSO, before all the duping and such, things seemed much more satisfying, especially since, for the most part, i felt like i was pulling my weight with the group. i didnt feel like someone was holding my hand the whole time. which is funny since it's far easier to be powerleveled in the PSO system than it was in FFXI, but on the other hand, its much easier to get things accomplished the way that was intended in PSO than in FFXI as well. for example, in ffxi, a mission or something that may have been intended for an alliance of lvl 40's or 50's was much more easily completed with a much smaller group of lvl 75's with the lower lvl character just leeching off. whereas in pso, you feel much more motivated to move with the flow of the game, rather than search for higher lvl help for everything.

Alisha
Oct 8, 2006, 01:06 AM
On 2006-10-07 22:38, AC9breaker wrote:
Here's a tip. Throw away your FFXI disc.

go burn in a fire you damn dirty galka http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

im starting to think im the only one that liked ffxi.

oh and ffxi and psu have more in common than many people realize.

Ether
Oct 8, 2006, 01:23 AM
On 2006-10-07 23:06, Alisha wrote:

Not really

The only similarity is the player rooming, and even then there are lots of little differences, like being able to visit other peoples rooms and changing the style of your room

AnamanaAU
Oct 8, 2006, 01:25 AM
On 2006-10-07 23:06, Alisha wrote:
Sure, they might share the MMO/Online portion and minor similarities. But FFXI is a turn based RPG and PSU is an action RPG. Two completely different things.

crazyrobot
Oct 8, 2006, 01:38 AM
on 2006-10-07 23:25, JubeiSaotome wrote:
Sure, they might share the MMO/Online portion and minor similarities. But FFXI is a turn based RPG and PSU is an action RPG. Two completely different things.

awww FFXI isnt really turn based, but who cares because turn based or action based FFXI battle system aways seemed unnatural. Even PSO battles were more satisfying than FFXI and I bet PSU will be even better.

Cross
Oct 8, 2006, 01:39 AM
On 2006-10-07 22:53, JubeiSaotome wrote:

Because they're the only worldwide online RPGs with any sort of following that have come out of Japan.

Of course that's a dumb-as-shit reason, but not half as dumb as the things these people come up with to convince themselves that the real reason they like FFXI is that it does something (anything!) "better" than other games.

Edit: And the only similarities between FFXI and PSU are so vague and abstract that you can apply them to every single MMORPG out there and be just as correct.

You have hit points in both games, guys, they're totally alike!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cross on 2006-10-07 23:41 ]</font>

Alisha
Oct 8, 2006, 02:02 AM
On 2006-10-07 23:38, crazyrobot wrote:

awww FFXI isnt really turn based, but who cares because turn based or action based FFXI battle system aways seemed unnatural. Even PSO battles were more satisfying than FFXI and I bet PSU will be even better.

i dunno granted i havent played psu yet but ripping asuran fists followed by a monster darkness skillchain on a monster gave me more satisfaction than anything in pso. the only thing that came remotely close for me was doing photon blast combos.

crazyrobot
Oct 8, 2006, 02:11 AM
on 2006-10-08 00:02 Alisha wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2006-10-07 23:38, crazyrobot wrote:
Quote:

i dunno granted i havent played psu yet but ripping asuran fists followed by a monster darkness skillchain on a monster gave me more satisfaction than anything in pso. the only thing that came remotely close for me was doing photon blast combos.

awww but most of the time in FFXI you would just be fighting like a poor little crab or crawler for like 5 minuntes, hardly a monster if you ask me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: crazyrobot on 2006-10-08 00:18 ]</font>

Neflite
Oct 8, 2006, 02:44 AM
On 2006-10-07 23:00, Nani-chan wrote:
Well there are plenty of people here that left PSO because of the large amount of hacking/duplicating..
FFXI, WoW etc was just something else to do.
Now people are getting tired of that and want to try PSU.

boy, story of my online gaming life summed up.
Been playin PS series since PS2. played DCpso(s) and GCpso hard
but as life went on, FFXI found its way into my home. even tho almost all my RL friends are way way into endgame in FFXI now, we all about quit this month because sequel to our real online game we love will be here soon. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif
no more waiting, farming and overall spending huge amounts of time for couple mins of joy.
FFXI I logged many nights unhappy unsastisfied.
I have never logged off PSO unhappy in my LIFE.
I'm sure PSU will follow suit.

ChibiMyu
Oct 8, 2006, 02:45 AM
In my opinion, the PSO/U versions of NMs are much nicer, because they tend to come looking for you instead of you having to go looking for them. (The exception being Rappy and Slime piping all day.) And there are no campers! Or, at least I hope there won't be. o.O

On 2006-10-07 22:58, Natrokos wrote:
1. It's Newman not Elf

You mean Elvaan? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Diverdan86
Oct 8, 2006, 03:21 AM
I enjoyed FFXI. It had great graphics(even with the ps2), story if you were able to get past some of the missions, and a great combat system compaired to most mmo's out there. My main problem i've had with mmo's is that you just sit there and watch ur char attack, but with pso/u you payed attention and the fact that it didnt follow old rpg "Skill" standards. For instance, stuff like WoW and Everquest would just buff buff buff buff buff AND... keep attacking. But FFXI had weapon skills(basically photon arts) and skill chains(when 2 certain weapon skills are used, there is added damage and a certain element skill chain appears) and magic bursts(mages could increase the damage of spells to the respective element). Kinda wish psu would adopt something like that, but im really happy with what psu is now.

Nephias
Oct 8, 2006, 03:56 AM
On 2006-10-08 01:21, Diverdan86 wrote:
I enjoyed FFXI. It had great graphics(even with the ps2), story if you were able to get past some of the missions, and a great combat system compaired to most mmo's out there. My main problem i've had with mmo's is that you just sit there and watch ur char attack, but with pso/u you payed attention and the fact that it didnt follow old rpg "Skill" standards. For instance, stuff like WoW and Everquest would just buff buff buff buff buff AND... keep attacking. But FFXI had weapon skills(basically photon arts) and skill chains(when 2 certain weapon skills are used, there is added damage and a certain element skill chain appears) and magic bursts(mages could increase the damage of spells to the respective element). Kinda wish psu would adopt something like that, but im really happy with what psu is now.

For the love of Raptor Jesus,NO.I'd disown ST if they ever put archaic EQ elements into PSO/U.Also FFXI's battle system was no more innovative or unique than any other EQ clone.

Sinue_v2
Oct 8, 2006, 04:09 AM

Both of which were just expansions on the combo system of Phantasy Star IV. Although not quite as satisfying as preforming it in a realtime-multiplayer environment - the Combos of PSIV are one of the game's highlights among it's playerbase.

http://www.phantasy-star.net/art/screenshots/psiv/blackhole.gif

Alisha
Oct 8, 2006, 04:20 AM
i agree the only thing i didnt like in ps4 was the weird a character randomly going faster and messing up combos. i mostly only did grand cross and blizzard. i wonder if demi and wren have any combos.

crazyrobot
Oct 8, 2006, 04:32 AM
awww lets just face it FFXI is just out dated game now that would seem a mass amount of ppl are sick of and want to move onto something else. Even on FFXI forums ppl complain about either RMT players, updates that nerf players abilities, or the lack of help to accomplish anything, etc... I personally think these ppl need a refreshing new game to turn to and PSU looks very promissing to them. Every game has its down sides but in my experience in FFXI there were just too many negatives about it for me to keep on playing. Though only time will tell how PSU will evolve.

Sinue_v2
Oct 8, 2006, 04:45 AM
i wonder if demi and wren have any combos.

None together that I can recall offhand - but they did have a few combos they could do with others.

I don't recall ever having my combo macros messed up by characters going out of the order that they were intended... but maybe it's just been too long since I last played. I'll have to remember to look into that so I can put it up on the PSIV glitches page.

Alisha
Oct 8, 2006, 05:05 AM
i just recently beat the game and the only macro i used is the one thats set by default.

Sinue_v2
Oct 8, 2006, 05:13 AM
Ah, well that might be why then. Attack order is determined by your characters agility, which is why techniques like Rika's Saner is useful in getting in your attacks before the enemy does.

When you set a Macro though, you characters follow a set battle plan in specific order. This makes it easy to select high defense, high attack, healing, and reliable combination manuvers.

shadonics
Oct 8, 2006, 07:29 AM
On 2006-10-07 21:49, Yawn wrote:
Hello all! This is my first post on this forum. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif I was just wondering if anyone could answer a few questions, or give any tips to a former FFXI player?

1. I don't have 10 hours a day to commit to this game, will I still be able to accomplish anything?

Thanks so much to everyone who can help me out. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

since i used to play FFXI the last 3 years.

1. no. you can play as long as you want.
if your done with a mission or such and get tired just quit and come back tomorrow http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif.

2. nope , you can solo all way to the end of the game.next to that you can level your PM so it can help you in fights and you can take your personal NPC with you into battles.
of course every game is more fun if you play it with other ppl or friends. but there is no 5 hr party seeking making 2k exp and then the party breaks up again lol.

3.NMs no.PSO/PSU got rare monster that will pop from time to time and that have a chance that you will get a rare item from em.and after every stage there is a boss waiting for you.

i did quit ffxi too since i loved to play pso since it was out on the dreamcast.
next to that ffxi/WoW are time consuming games and in PSU u can log off when ever you want w/o someone bitching at you.

Drizzit
Oct 8, 2006, 07:56 AM
I second that .... Sitting in Juno ( Spelling ) for hours LFG sucked. and no solo play killed it for me. I spent 99% of my time fishing. FFXI had good ideas but just didnt apply them well.

Nuclearranger
Oct 8, 2006, 08:03 AM
I seriously never heard this from FF11 players lol they seem to fail to mention this...

LocGaw
Oct 8, 2006, 08:12 AM
Well you could solo in FFXI. BST was the job...

What really killed me was the jobs.
lets say you are a RDM. You will need:
WHM->37
BLM->37
NIN->37
DRK->37
That does not sound too bad right? But to get in a PT
you will need to sub WAR to DRK and NIN...
Raise War->17... Of course you don't want to be a gimp tank in the dunes so...
Raise Monk->10... Now you are raiseing the sub of your sub's, sub... I think :/
Then as a NIN you of course need to have tools to cast ninjitsu.

Did I forget to mention that you need to get equ for all these jobs?

God forbid you don't have a cookie cuter PC also. You can kiss LFG goodbye if you are not one of the acceptable jobs and you are LFG outside of your LS.

It seems that FFXI became more like work, not entertainment... Well, I look foward to meeting you all in game.

Slitz
Oct 8, 2006, 10:28 AM
I quit FFXI just the other day out of pure excitement for the release of PSU.

Phantasy Star, like many people, was the beginning of my online gaming experiances. And I loved it. I loved the fast(er) paced battles, and how you could solo if you didn't feel like sharing a game with other people. I loved how if you wanted a group(party, in ffxi) all you had to do was join a game, or make one. And after making a game, people would join without waiting for hours apon hours. I loved the char creation (kinda), it was better then FFXI's lol. And most of all, I liked the fact that you could do almost anything at almost any level.(Unlike FFXI's 'Certain Level requirements' to do certain quests.)

Phantasy Star was my Online Game beginning.
When PS started to die, I quit. And I replaced it with FFXI... which may I add, did, indeed, have an amazing difference. It's a game that you have to be commited to, or you accomplish nothing. And doing the quests was literally so boring, that finding any help, even from friends, was almost impossible. Leveling took hours, everything took hours. Leveling from 1 to 10, took a whole Real Life day.

And to be honest, I'm sick of FFXI.
I'm sick of waiting for everything.. lol

So, I'm excited to say;
I'll see you on PSU. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

-Slitz

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Slitz on 2006-10-08 08:49 ]</font>

LocGaw
Oct 8, 2006, 12:43 PM
FFXI L1-10 all day job!!! Ouch... You really did have trouble with the game...

Slitz
Oct 8, 2006, 12:50 PM
Lol, well, not literally ALL DAY. But it took awhile... -.-
Especially when your only motivation was looking forward to Valkurm Dunes.. ;P

Diverdan86
Oct 8, 2006, 12:59 PM
the dunes.... *shudder*

Sammy
Oct 8, 2006, 01:06 PM
The scenery in FFXI was nice. I don't think you'll get that in PSU.

LocGaw
Oct 8, 2006, 01:11 PM
Looking Foward to dunes... ><

How about the dreaded Blue M. That Mentor tag meant I was going to die at least once.

/em looks around in fear

Slitz
Oct 8, 2006, 01:13 PM
Lol, I hardly paid attention to the scenery. I was too busy looking at a map, trying to find my way to the next zone. Or putting my char on auto-run, and taking a half hour nap. ;P

Raide_the_3rd
Oct 8, 2006, 03:35 PM
I'm currently playing FFXI but the main drawing from that game to PSU is the casual gamer friendliness it offers. Soloability and no exp loss is a huge bonus IMO. Of course even reading about how the game is played I'm going to feel like a total noob once I start playing.

Meh, freedom comes with a small price that can eventually be overcome. I've quit FFXI twice and came back because of people in game and close buddies in RL. I can't convince them to leave that game but I think this time once I leave it's for keeps. I've been toiling away at FFXI for 3 years and only have one 75 job and Sky. That's about it.

Man, I think some of the people in my End-Game Linkshell are going to be sore with me, we're hurting for Black Mages as it is and I don't have the heart to break the news to them yet, eh heh heh.

Meli
Oct 9, 2006, 08:00 PM
I've been playing FFXI since the PS2 release, and I can't wait for PSU to start. It'll be a nice change to get away from all the freaking auto-traslating shit people use. {yawn} anyone?

FFXI is a great game and all, but wasting hours competing against RMT/botters for HNMS is just so frustrating.

Kayai
Oct 9, 2006, 08:04 PM
yeah, i cant wait for PSU cause of the gameplay and the flexibility it has, while keeping a strong social aspect

Raide_the_3rd
Oct 9, 2006, 08:34 PM
I believe we should be able to enjoy the fun of a MMORPG without all the insane time sinks and cut-throat competition. I can understand a few hours here and there, but not half a day camping one rare monster, or taking down a dragon, or God for bid seeking to join a party only the be shunned because of your job choice.

Nephias
Oct 10, 2006, 04:16 AM
On 2006-10-09 18:34, Raide_the_3rd wrote:
I believe we should be able to enjoy the fun of a MMORPG without all the insane time sinks and cut-throat competition. I can understand a few hours here and there, but not half a day camping one rare monster, or taking down a dragon, or God for bid seeking to join a party only the be shunned because of your job choice.

Amen

Pikku
Oct 10, 2006, 09:16 AM
You know... I always thought of it like this:
Everyone played PSODC... then moved to PSOGC or XBOX..... then when that slowly dies migrate to either WoW or FFXI or whatever... then PSU comes in and everyone Migrate back to their original home.
I play/ed FFXI but PSODC was my 1st one.. but yeah...
Welcome to Phantasy Star. I bet youll like it more than FFXI.

Jozon
Oct 10, 2006, 09:17 AM
everyone from FFXI is coming to PSU, I started with PSOGC then FFXI, now I'm back to PSU, the trend continues!

OmegaAlpha
Oct 10, 2006, 09:21 AM
11 was really fun when it 1st came out getting into the game, sadly the game is now just a shadow of itself with all the RMT at every single area. SE and the G.Ms don't care so PSU it is.

Thank you PSU for instanced game play. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

zemog
Oct 10, 2006, 09:32 AM
On 2006-10-07 22:17, Ether wrote:
I find it ironic how PSO/PSU and FFXI share a lot of the same players, despite being polar opposites as far as the games go

This seems to be very true... I had my runs at FFXI in the past (highest being a lvl 30 char), and I started with PSO back on DC and am going to dedicate my waking life to PSU like everyone here.

zemog
Oct 10, 2006, 09:36 AM
On 2006-10-07 23:02, galaxy wrote:
the frustrating part about ffxi to me, the most, was how much i relied on others help...and not in the sense that you might think. I would have been absolutely fine with a party of equal-to-close leveled individuals working together towards a common goal, and helping each other out. but what ended up happening was me having to lean on all the higher lvl characters that i knew for almost everything besides leveling. it got to the point where nothing i owned seemed like i really worked to achieve it.

This should simply never have been allowed to become part of the game's end design... Why allow a player to learn new jobs at lvl 30 if it takes a level 45+ character to solo the quest needed to learn that job???

PS ROCKS!!!1! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Bleemo
Oct 10, 2006, 09:38 AM
Speaking of how much you relied on for others help in FFXI...

I remember that the quests and missions were aboslutely impossible without guidance from others or the ol' strategy guide. I wonder what SE was thinking making these quests.

OmegaAlpha
Oct 10, 2006, 09:43 AM
On 2006-10-10 07:38, Bleemo wrote:
Speaking of how much you relied on for others help in FFXI...

I remember that the quests and missions were aboslutely impossible without guidance from others or the ol' strategy guide. I wonder what SE was thinking making these quests.

They didn't thats the problem http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

A party based game is nice and all but it took an immense amount of time to feel like you did or accomplished anything.

Bleemo
Oct 10, 2006, 09:50 AM
Player A: "DING! LEVEL 30 NOW TIME FOR SOME 'VANCED JOBS!"
Player B: "grats dude!"
Player C: "OMG GOB TRAIN AT YHOATER ENTRANCE"
*Player C runs to entrance training three gobs and dies infront of Player A.*
Player A: "OH !@#$"
*Player A dies. Shhhzzzuuuooovvv: Level Down"
Player A: "GOD BLAST IT NOW ANOTHER 3 HOURS OF GRINDING MANDRAGORAS"

Ullias
Oct 10, 2006, 10:17 AM
I think what says it all about FFXI is that the hardest thing I ever really had to do in a party was skill chain and run around an enemy because of the partys theif wanting to do sneak/trick attack which quite frankly was far to easy (shown by the fact that on several occasions I was doing it quite competently whilst drinking) but when it came to something 4 lvls higher than you it required hours of shouting for help you werent able to play smart in order to punch above your weight whereas in pso you could say the fight dragon at a stupidly low level but fight smart and avoid his attacks so that you would be able to kill it (although the fight would take alot longer than if you were the proper level) and that took more focus than a drunk guy can generally give.

physic
Oct 10, 2006, 10:25 AM
eehhh final fantasy quests were sorot of figure out able, but who had the patience to explore every nook and cranny in a super huge world, then do it again every time you get a new quest. As far as being 30 but needing 45, they developed most stuff with parties in mind, with a party of level 30s, you coulc do advanced jobs, and sometimes we did. In retrospect FFxi was pretty cool, so big so much to do, a lot of it it didt go down the way they intended though. Honestly i just left cause i had done what i truely desired, i didnt have a large desire to work with any new jobs, and i had seen all the world had to offer.
Psu will be very different, i doubt it will have the same hold that ff had, but thats a good thing.

DreamLocke
Oct 10, 2006, 10:42 AM
I loved PSO, but I really didn't get into FFXI. I really tried to like it, though. Besides the early grind to 20, it was impossible to find a party. Plus my linkshell disbanded http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I played it for one month free trial and parted ways. But I have been waiting for PSU since it was first announced...one of the reasons I purchased an xbox360...

I like PS series because of the art style, combination of sci-fi and fantasy, and the ability to jump into a party quickly and just 'go to work'. 14 more days...

AlphaMinotaux
Oct 10, 2006, 01:29 PM
FFXI has changed alot, atm mob trains do not exist, they disapear instead of staying at entrance of zone, AOE attacks only hit your party, Exp is gained much quicker, there are items that increase your EXP amount gained. the new expansion area, Aht Urghan has amazing exp rate and you recieve bonus' like increased food duration increased regen and exp bonus. to sum it up ffxi has changed for the better, i still got bored of it though and wont go back to it a third time. Nobody Loved my 62monk ; ;

Sammy
Oct 10, 2006, 02:03 PM
Did anyone else feel more like the NPCs than the NPCs themselves? Most players looked like clones and the NPC chars looked more original. On top of that they were so much stronger than you that it just made it seem pointless to continue playing when knowing you'll never achieve their strength.

Natrokos
Oct 10, 2006, 02:05 PM
On 2006-10-08 00:45, ChibiMyu wrote:

1. It's Newman not Elf

No, I mean elf. Yes it was Elvaan in FFXI (I played one) But alot of people see a Newman and automatically assume it's an elf...I was just giving a heads up so this wondeful person would know...

Yawn
Oct 10, 2006, 03:03 PM
On 2006-10-10 12:05, Natrokos wrote:

On 2006-10-08 00:45, ChibiMyu wrote:

1. It's Newman not Elf

No, I mean elf. Yes it was Elvaan in FFXI (I played one) But alot of people see a Newman and automatically assume it's an elf...I was just giving a heads up so this wondeful person would know...

You think I am a wonderful person? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif Thanks!

Kittycat
Oct 10, 2006, 03:05 PM
4. there's an expansion supposedly coming out. don't farm in psu'lia too much

Garasu
Oct 10, 2006, 04:42 PM

I play FFXI also...but played PSO first....
1.Yes, you will, it may take a while, but, you can accomplish alot..
2.>< Im not sure about that, my guess is no..
3.(going from good ol' PSO..) There are rare monsters, and bosses, but..they dont summon minions or anything...

Hope that helps!(what server..?^^;)

Yawn
Oct 10, 2006, 04:47 PM
On 2006-10-10 14:42, Garasu wrote:

I play FFXI also...but played PSO first....
1.Yes, you will, it may take a while, but, you can accomplish alot..
2.>< Im not sure about that, my guess is no..
3.(going from good ol' PSO..) There are rare monsters, and bosses, but..they dont summon minions or anything...

Hope that helps!(what server..?^^;)

Fenrir.

LITE
Oct 10, 2006, 06:50 PM
I had started on DC PSO, then to GC PSO and finally to FFXI from PS2 then to PC (and contemplating XBOX360 FFXI).

I think I share some of the same sentiments of many former FFXI players here. I think they both have their weaknesses and strengths but most of all, I'm just looking for something of a change.

Yes, FFXI was a time pit, and took forever to accomplish anything, but I can clearly remember after my first few days of playing FFXI how much more depth it had over PSO. At the time, I was *sick* of grinding away at PSO on GC trying to get my character to level 200 (I did eventually) and FFXI was really a breath of fresh air, which is what I would think most PSO to FFXI players were thinking.

I'm practically done with FFXI now, I've got 4 level 75 jobs (all mage jobs) and some relatively uber gear. I would keep playing but FFXI, for me anyway, has lost that magic. It takes way too much time to accomplish new things and I don't look forward to spending hours upon hours of time to make money to buy things to level up a new job.

All I can say for now is that I'm happy to be coming back to the world of Phantasy Star, and hey, maybe in a year or 2 from now, I'll be sick of the constant grinding, lack of depth (compared to FFXI) and (what might then be) relatively monotonous gameplay of PSU and will be looking forward to a new Japanese MMO (FFXIV?).

- LITE

Sinue_v2
Oct 10, 2006, 07:10 PM
Just in case anyone wants to know the history of Numans (http://www.phantasystarwiki.com/index.php?title=Numans)

Any similarities they possess to Elves are purely coincidental.

Alisha
Oct 10, 2006, 07:12 PM
this thread fails. most complaints seem to come from people that probally never ade it to 50.

Slitz
Oct 10, 2006, 07:32 PM
On 2006-10-10 17:12, Alisha wrote:
this thread fails. most complaints seem to come from people that probally never ade it to 50.

Lol, I got 48 and quit.
I don't have the patience... lol

I've logged off of FFXI several times literally frustrated with the game.

I've never turned off PSO unhappy.

I'm just a Phantasy Star Veteran excited to come back to the game that started my online gaming experiance.

Ensong
Oct 10, 2006, 07:33 PM
As an FFXI player, ( I'am in an merit party right now actually while typing this )
I've noticed the PSO Community is alot nicer ^ . ^

ghaleonreborn
Oct 10, 2006, 07:36 PM
of course the pso community is nicer we all share a common goal or leveling up and killing dark falz or flow or whatever....and people usually give noobs rare items its a nice tight nit community i think

crazyrobot
Oct 10, 2006, 07:38 PM

awww lol I had two lv75 jobs. FFXI died for me when I couldn't use Ridill and Kraken club then spamming Slugshot every 5 secs. When they nerfed Ranger job it wasn't as fun to play in experience parties. Being in endgame linkshells gets boring when you have to follow a weekly schedule of doing dynamis two times a week, farming Sea and Sky for hours on end 3 days of the week, and keeping tabs on ground HNM's for hours competing with 4-5 other linkshells. To get any of the good endgame gear and weapons in FFXI you had to join an endgame linkshell like this. So basicly to achieve anything grand in FFXI it becomes a "JOB". Sure I had super uber gear and weapons when I played, but looking back at when I did play it seems more of a waste of time to me. Most of the gear and weapons I had was because the Linkshell had gotten it for me, so I felt obligated to show up for every event knowing everything rare/ex item I had was because of the linkshell. Even if you are in a good linkshell you will probably not get anything good for a long time either. All and all I did get to experience alot FFXI had to offer but I am not going to spend the rest of my life playing a game that became more of a "JOB" to play.

Ensong
Oct 10, 2006, 07:44 PM
Exactly Crazyrobot. Nicely put.

Alisha
Oct 10, 2006, 07:49 PM
On 2006-10-10 17:38, crazyrobot wrote:

awww lol I had two lv75 jobs. FFXI died for me when I couldn't use Ridill and Kraken club then spamming Slugshot every 5 secs. When they nerfed Ranger job it wasn't as fun to play in experience parties. Being in endgame linkshells gets boring when you have to follow a weekly schedule of doing dynamis two times a week, farming Sea and Sky for hours on end 3 days of the week, and keeping tabs on ground HNM's for hours competing with 4-5 other linkshells. To get any of the good endgame gear and weapons in FFXI you had to join an endgame linkshell like this. So basicly to achieve anything grand in FFXI it becomes a "JOB". Sure I had super uber gear and weapons when I played, but looking back at when I did play it seems more of a waste of time to me. Most of the gear and weapons I had was because the Linkshell had gotten it for me, so I felt obligated to show up for every event knowing everything rare/ex item I had was because of the linkshell. Even if you are in a good linkshell you will probably not get anything good for a long time either. All and all I did get to experience alot FFXI had to offer but I am not going to spend the rest of my life playing a game that became more of a "JOB" to play.

my social shell evolved into a endgame social shell so meh.

Even if you are in a good linkshell you will probably not get anything good for a long time either.

ORLY?

http://darkalisha.homestead.com/files/img_0149.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2006-10-10 17:52 ]</font>

Ensong
Oct 10, 2006, 07:54 PM
I just got the Bard Justacorps in my first Ice two weeks ago, then I got the Bard Cannions from Xarcabard, I'am so spiffy in my Relic armor and my Sha'ir Manteel.

EDIT: Matter of fact, after this Merit party I'am gonna go head to town and unlock that achievement.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ensong on 2006-10-10 17:56 ]</font>

OgSoulja
Oct 10, 2006, 08:04 PM
Im just wondering, can i go to the 3 planets and chill there or is it just players can be at the colony lobby. Please tell me we could atleast go to other planets main city or w/e and chill.

Ensong
Oct 10, 2006, 08:12 PM
Each planet has it's own lobby / city I believe.

crazyrobot
Oct 10, 2006, 08:26 PM
awww lol Alisha you very lucky to be in a social linkshell that has turned into an endgame linkshell, I guess. But only time will tell before endgame becomes more like a "JOB" and everything else seems dull.

P.S. tell Vizzini princesstb says hi

RuinedReBirth
Oct 11, 2006, 02:09 AM
1. Even 2 hours can get a boatloads of work done. These types of games you don't have to completely commit yourself - so if your job/school impeeds you from getting tasks done...you won't have to worry about it.

2. No. PSO (and PSU) wasn't a massive game where everyone is put on (mainly) one map. You gots a lobby to talk to people in, meet friends, find personal parties, etc. You make the game and people join your game as you go. It's easy since 90% of the community is looking for a game to play in. There were selective times where your game would barely be entered. Not sure if it's effected in PSU, but leave a simple name "rue game", "forest run", "first time psu" or whatever. Games like "This is where you put it" are avoided by most people....But the last part I'm saying is just me speaking incoherently. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

3. Uhm, not really. The item spawnings are a lot more randomized and sometimes the map style changes.

And honestly, I don't see how FFXI and PSU are related at all. Besides HP, I couldn't name a damn thing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuinedReBirth on 2006-10-11 00:10 ]</font>

Souppy
Oct 11, 2006, 02:18 AM
If ppl come up with good cut-in chats, it will be fun 'cause i'm gonna miss my Symbol Chats. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif