PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Play style

DurakkenX
Oct 8, 2006, 12:57 PM
For those of you that are worried about Ranger being useless and for those of you that have played FFXI...

After I played ranger for a bit i realized something. Rangers get a lot of mob attention or what was called hate in FFXI. You may think this is bad because they have low HP, but they also always are drawing their attention and leading to a specific point.

This gave rise to the thought that Rangers are to be played not as just stat support, but also support in other ways.

First off a Ranger when it attacks can cast a stat effect
Secondly it makes a Mob flinch more than it does when a hunter hits from what i've seen, and even if that's not true it doesn't matter.

Now if I'm a hunter this is great because i'm sitting there doing my combo and there is a break in between oh no what am i going to do since the mob can attack me now? Well the ranger hits it before it gets the hit off and my combo proceeds fine without getting hit or needing to dodge.

If the status effect hits that allows me to hit without worry as well and lets a Force aim easier.

thirdly, the ranger stands opposite of the others and shoots. this #1 pulls them off the Force, like a thf controlling hate, as well as away from the Hunter so it doesn't have to worry again about being hit, and #2 it gathers the mobs together in a single point allowing forces to use Ra-technics which preserves PP

So if you think about this a ranger plays like a Red mage thief from FFXI

Also for those of you concerned about PP costs it's been my experience that Ranger costs 1/2 as Force and double Hunter usually to recharge PP.

Rizen
Oct 8, 2006, 01:00 PM
Can you also post this here? http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=120501&forum=20&53
Im trying to make that post as useful as possible to rangers.

CpwninOBrien
Oct 8, 2006, 01:12 PM
lol wow lots of ffxi players coming to psu http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Kent
Oct 8, 2006, 01:59 PM
...Really, there's no job in FFXI that plays like how Rangers are being handled in PSU. The closest possible comparison would actually be Corsair, because they use guns from a distance, and can support the party with elemental shots (which enhance a debuff of that element already on the enemy). A Ranger in FFXI pulling hate off of the people that are actually capable of taking hits, or a Thief taking hate onto himself in a similar matter, are basically always bad things (especially for Thief, since they need to be able to be behind the enemy to be useful in a party, or only behind an ally at 60+, because of Assassin).

But really, the concept of "covering fire" (the thing Rangers were actually intended for, as of the first PSO), is kinda lost, when comparing it to a game like FFXI (as enemies don't flinch when hit, unless something stuns them). There are some special types of ammunition in FFXI (acid bolts, blind bolts, etc.) that will put debuffs on an enemy, but you'll almost never see a Ranger using these in a party.

BlueDagger
Oct 8, 2006, 02:25 PM
On 2006-10-08 11:12, CpwninOBrien wrote:
lol wow lots of ffxi players coming to psu http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Which seems odd to me... PSU is a fast paced game... And FFXI is about as slow as it gets...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlueDagger on 2006-10-08 12:25 ]</font>

Itsuki
Oct 8, 2006, 03:18 PM
On 2006-10-08 10:57, DurakkenX wrote:
For those of you that are worried about Ranger being useless and for those of you that have played FFXI...

After I played ranger for a bit i realized something. Rangers get a lot of mob attention or what was called hate in FFXI. You may think this is bad because they have low HP, but they also always are drawing their attention and leading to a specific point.

I believe this has been brought up by me somewhere else. But ya, generally I can almost control the movement of minibosses. I can literally drag svaltus around to the point of dragging them away from or onto people.

Also, I can generally keep the complete attention of atleast 1-2 jyaba. Combined with my range, this keeps the makes the entire party safer since nothing sucks more than a megid hitting you from off screen.

Parn
Oct 8, 2006, 03:25 PM
Yeah, this kind of ties in to the aggro management thread (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=119718&forum=20) I made awhile ago... those that wondered what the ranger's role was in this game have their answer. They're crowd control.

Rizen
Oct 8, 2006, 03:28 PM
You know I total forgot about that topic. Hey Parn, can you do me a favor and post that in the Ranger topic I made?
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=120501&forum=20&53

Parn
Oct 8, 2006, 03:30 PM
Heh, it's your thread dude. I can't edit your first post to include a link to it.

Rizen
Oct 8, 2006, 03:31 PM
hehe i mean like post it normally in there normally but I will just link it, prolly better that way.

Im so out of it today....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rizen on 2006-10-08 13:34 ]</font>

Raide_the_3rd
Oct 8, 2006, 03:44 PM
On 2006-10-08 12:25, BlueDagger wrote:

Which seems odd to me... PSU is a fast paced game... And FFXI is about as slow as it gets...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlueDagger on 2006-10-08 12:25 ]</font>

"Slow" is such an understatement.

Miyoko
Oct 8, 2006, 05:43 PM
I can't say I care about pulling aggro in PSU, because, unlike other MMOS, if I get aggro, I can just ... move out of the way.

Itsuki
Oct 8, 2006, 08:12 PM
You fail to understand that pulling agro in this situation is a good thing, and something you generally want, aswell as something you use to your advantage.

Carlo210
Oct 24, 2006, 05:19 PM
Even if rangers do the same damage as the rest of their team, they run out of pp 10x as fast, which sucks.
10pp for a rifle shot = 100-130 dmg
10~16pp for a spell = much more damage

Cause_I_Own_U
Oct 24, 2006, 05:25 PM
Didnt the update adjust rangers pp consumption for the better

Carlo210
Oct 24, 2006, 05:27 PM
I've still seen things like rifle shots consume 10-ish pp per shot. I know there's been an adjustment - I am placing my comments on gun pp-consumtion on the after-update facts.

Flamingo99
Oct 24, 2006, 09:52 PM
On 2006-10-24 15:19, Carlo210 wrote:
Even if rangers do the same damage as the rest of their team, they run out of pp 10x as fast, which sucks.

This is my opinion. I'm saying this because I'm to lazy to say "I think" after every statement...

Rangers should be views as a support class. Leave the crazy damage to the forces and hunters. Rangers will simply help the forces and hunters do their best with their debuffs by dehabilitating enemies.

Realmz
Oct 24, 2006, 09:55 PM
On 2006-10-24 19:52, Flamingo99 wrote:

On 2006-10-24 15:19, Carlo210 wrote:

This is my opinion. I'm saying this because I'm to lazy to say "I think" after every statement...

Rangers should be views as a support class. Leave the crazy damage to the forces and hunters. Rangers will simply help the forces and hunters do their best with their debuffs by dehabilitating enemies.

i'd think rangers would save their rifles for the boss fights, unloading everything into the weak spots for MASSIVE DAMAGE.

like that giant enemy crab....