PDA

View Full Version : Music=Meh

Belts
Oct 9, 2006, 12:11 AM
I like how in PSO, when there are no enemies around, the music stays slow and calm. It usually fits the area very well.

I have noticed that in PSU the music just stays fast paced and kind of hectic even when there are no enemies. It doesn't really go with the areas when you aren't in a battle.

I know it's not a big deal, but it makes me kind of sad. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

RamenEater
Oct 9, 2006, 12:13 AM
I feel the same way =/

-Shimarisu-
Oct 9, 2006, 12:14 AM
I have noticed that in PSOW, everyone with an Ethan avatar is a bit of a nub.

CpwninOBrien
Oct 9, 2006, 12:14 AM
theres no rap so i wont be listning to it sorry its a bummer for ya tho http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

EC_Subbie
Oct 9, 2006, 12:21 AM
If the music sucks I'll just play my own I'm streaming from the pc to 360...

Belts
Oct 9, 2006, 12:24 AM
On 2006-10-08 22:14, -Shimarisu- wrote:

Uh, ok? That was not the brightest thing I have read all day. What does that have anything to do with what I posted?

CpwninOBrien
Oct 9, 2006, 12:26 AM
On 2006-10-08 22:24, Belts wrote:

Uh, ok? That was not the brightest thing I have read all day. What does that have anything to do with what I posted?

id just ignore it seems like theres ppl on her that make contest of getting threads they dont like moved locked etc and thats 1 way they do it

AnamanaAU
Oct 9, 2006, 01:19 AM
The music is awesome. The thing is, this game ISN'T PSO. *GASP* It's not a sequal and it's not an expansion. This is like saying "OH a 2D street fighter game plays different to the 3D ones, I'm upset."

Cigaro
Oct 9, 2006, 01:20 AM

Be more right.

EDIT: Oh right, you can't. You're already the maximum amount of right.

On 2006-10-08 23:19, JubeiSaotome wrote:
The music is awesome. The thing is, this game ISN'T PSO. *GASP* It's not a sequal and it's not an expansion. This is like saying "OH a 2D street fighter game plays different to the 3D ones, I'm upset."

3rd Strike had the best music in the entire series, and everything about EX's existence was wrong.

My two bits about the music: I feel it'll get old after a while, but it's not instantly repulsive. I may end up listening to other music while I play, but I'll enjoy it for the first month or so.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cigaro on 2006-10-08 23:23 ]</font>

AquaFlare7
Oct 9, 2006, 01:22 AM

The OP has a valid concern that could even refer to any online game, not just PSU. My personal opinion is that the music is awesome, and I am very pleased that I won't be falling asleep from it (much unlike the caves music from pso -_- zzZZ). To each his own http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Mixfortune
Oct 9, 2006, 01:29 AM
I thought that the flow between the "battle music" and "travel music" of PSO when it was first released was a nice touch that added to the game and stood out to me as something cool.

I may be wrong though but come Gamecube and after, didn't the combat and out of combat music just kind of change back and forth whenever it felt like it, rather than when you actually were in combat or not? I don't recall, but I think it did something like that, or maybe my Gamecube was just getting funky.

It is somewhat disappointing to hear that PSU does not carry on that similar trait of the original PSO. It was a nice bit of magic to the game when starting out that I'd imagine many had eventually taken for granted.

In any case, lay off the flames. The topic is valid and insulting comments are bad enough without them being made out of thin air.

Zael
Oct 9, 2006, 01:42 AM
You know, you can always turn BGM off and play w/e music you want.

Belts
Oct 9, 2006, 02:00 AM

*GASP* If you haven't noticed, most RPGs, including PSO, have seperate music for battles and for areas when there is no battle.

The battle music obviously makes the battle seem more intense by being fast paced and dramatic.

I am just saying that, for instance, if I am backtracking for a few minutes through a beautiful forest, I would rather hear music to compliment the forest rather than battle music.

I just think it takes a bit of feeling away from the beauty of the maps.

Weak
Oct 9, 2006, 02:03 AM
The PSO music is soooo stale, sorry man.

Listen, it was great the first time, but it's really boring right now.

The Forest theme was the only one I really liked, except it got stuck on the combat music way too often, which wasn't as cool as the regular "walking around" music.

PSU seems to have a lot of upbeat electronica, which is right up Phantasy Star's alley. Sounds pretty sweet if you ask me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Weak on 2006-10-09 00:10 ]</font>

RamenEater
Oct 9, 2006, 02:10 AM
The OP isnt saying the music is necessarily bad, its just that there is no fade in and out between battle and non-battle. It feels like a rip off because they took a step back from technology..

Belts
Oct 9, 2006, 02:12 AM
On 2006-10-09 00:10, RamenEater wrote:
The OP isnt saying the music is necessarily bad, its just that there is no fade in and out between battle and non-battle. It feels like a rip off because they took a step back from technology..

Thank you.

RamenEater
Oct 9, 2006, 02:13 AM
On 2006-10-09 00:12, Belts wrote:

On 2006-10-09 00:10, RamenEater wrote:

Thank you.

New yorkers think alike =P

Weak
Oct 9, 2006, 02:15 AM
I think it has something to do with their battle system.

Wouldn't it sound really awkward if the music were switching back and forth every 15-20 seconds?

PSO could pull off the transitions because the gameplay was a lot slower.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Weak on 2006-10-09 00:15 ]</font>

DoubleJG
Oct 9, 2006, 02:16 AM
Well, the music in PSO never changed when a monster popped up infront of you either. And I must agree with AquaFlare, although the music in PSO was quite soothing, late at night it could easily put me to sleep.

I have heard some of the music from PSU through videos, and Moatoob (I believe) has some awesome shinobi style music. However, the first area that you play in has a BGM that I could care less for. It all comes down to personal taste. As someone else suggested, if you don't enjoy listening to a certain area's BGM, turn it off or mute the TV and play some of your own tunes for the time being.

RamenEater
Oct 9, 2006, 02:16 AM
That is a good point.

RamenEater
Oct 9, 2006, 02:18 AM
When i played PSO, the music really set the mood. It put alot of emotion in the game lol.. Especially the mines music when you are not battling, its sounds so desolate and sad

Ryudo
Oct 9, 2006, 05:02 AM
On 2006-10-09 00:00, Belts wrote:

*GASP* If you haven't noticed, most RPGs, including PSO, have seperate music for battles and for areas when there is no battle.

The battle music obviously makes the battle seem more intense by being fast paced and dramatic.

I am just saying that, for instance, if I am backtracking for a few minutes through a beautiful forest, I would rather hear music to compliment the forest rather than battle music.

I just think it takes a bit of feeling away from the beauty of the maps.

*GASP* and guess what? Most action games and action RPGs dont change the music like PSO did

PSO-style music would be worthless in PSU anyway, since it's almost constant action

Asim
Oct 9, 2006, 06:23 AM
Just listen to REM while playing the game. D:

PJ
Oct 9, 2006, 06:44 AM
Off topic, but does anyone else feel like the music in this game was inspired from non-PS sources? The first Moatoob stage (At least for Extra Mode stage) sounds VERY much like Knuckles Red Mountain (Or, in that style, I mean) in Sonic Adventure, and it's just a great sound.

I don't think I've found a place in PSU's music that I don't like at all

Merumeru
Oct 9, 2006, 07:13 AM
XD the only time i realized PSO had music was during the Burning Ranger quests

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 9, 2006, 08:18 AM
I love the music of PSU, but then again, my taste in music is more fast-paced. I'm not into slow music like PSO. And merumeru, a fellow Floridian, I suppose.

Spork
Oct 9, 2006, 08:18 AM
On 2006-10-08 23:42, Zael wrote:
You know, you can always turn BGM off and play w/e music you want.
That's what I plan to do.

Narcotic
Oct 9, 2006, 08:20 AM
The sad thing is no matter how bad/good the music is, after PSU is released and Im done playing for the first 12 hours my heads gonna feel like its been at a rave all day. Ill be asleep and that bass line is gonna be in the back of my mind the whole time

Chronosv2
Oct 9, 2006, 09:49 AM
There's one thing to remember with PSU's music. In areas, you're undertaking a mission. This, of course, means there is an objective...and there's no real rest until you complete it. Thus the music stays fast. I quite like it, actually--it makes a lot of sense.

Sexy_Raine
Oct 9, 2006, 10:07 AM
I just hope the music good.

Scallop
Oct 9, 2006, 11:04 AM
If it sounds real bad then I'll just listen to trance =)

Diablohead
Oct 9, 2006, 11:32 AM
Speaking of music guys, when is the huge OST supose to hit stores? I been waiting ages for it!

Taichi
Oct 9, 2006, 11:43 AM
It's suppose to be hitting this Thursday I've heard.

Nephias
Oct 9, 2006, 11:48 AM
I liked PSO's exploration and calming music in between battles,I'm saddened its apparently no longer with us.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nephias on 2006-10-09 09:49 ]</font>

DraginHikari
Oct 9, 2006, 02:04 PM
I don't really get what people are reffering to PSO has never had a change of music between battle and just wandering oO

phunk
Oct 9, 2006, 02:13 PM
I don't mind the music, its a lot more dramatic than PSO's was; due to the orchestrated tracks.

Luckily you can just strream music over the game's with 360.

Roken
Oct 9, 2006, 02:18 PM
I did in fact like the transition between battle music and 'enviornment/calm music' in PSO. However, as a few people have said, there seems to be alot of action is PSU. In PSO there were times were you'd be running around a bit before being engaged in a battle, however from the videos I have seen ( I havent played myself yet ), it seems as though battle does come at a constant rate.

So even though the OP and some others ( including me ), did like that change in music, it seems PSU truely doesnt need it. Only a few seconds are spent before a groups of enemies come out and attack any of the players.

Zarbolord
Oct 9, 2006, 02:19 PM
I like the music very much, although I would add in some FFVIII battle music for the bosses from time to time.

adamgnome104
Oct 9, 2006, 02:26 PM
I didn't like PSO's music, because I felt like it got too boring when you weren't doing anything, so I feel the exact opposite!

Zarbolord
Oct 9, 2006, 02:29 PM
Temple was just boring when Ob lilies killed you and you had to go through the whole thing running... (luckily I only played as force so I piped after I went through it once...).

Jife_Jifremok
Oct 9, 2006, 06:46 PM
PSO's combat was pretty fitting for the slower-paced exploration themes. The battle themes felt kinda pointless and still felt almost as...silent as the exploration themes. All of it except the Temple and Ruins nearly put me to sleep.

What little I've heard from PSU sounds like it'll do its job pretty well. Plus it fits with the mission-based nature. It might be a little odd to have frantic music play while I look around for boxes or something though. Meh.

Shinomaru
Oct 9, 2006, 06:50 PM
im nub!

Slitz
Oct 9, 2006, 07:10 PM
On 2006-10-09 16:50, Shinomaru wrote:
im nub!

Lol.

Anyways.

PSO never changed music apon entering a room of enemies. It just repeatedly switched back and forth. Half the time, I didn't even notice the music. Probably because I was blairing loud industrial, (Psyclon Nine, Deadstar Assembly, Orgy.) ...

I'm really not too fond of video game music..
but meh.
My opinion.

Mute Game.
Radio On.
Happy Player.
RaWk On. ;D

Kindaichi
Oct 9, 2006, 08:45 PM
I dont really pay attention to the music in pso but psu can be different http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

RamenEater
Oct 9, 2006, 09:35 PM
On 2006-10-09 17:10, Slitz wrote:

On 2006-10-09 16:50, Shinomaru wrote:
im nub!

Lol.

Anyways.

PSO never changed music apon entering a room of enemies. It just repeatedly switched back and forth. Half the time, I didn't even notice the music. Probably because I was blairing loud industrial, (Psyclon Nine, Deadstar Assembly, Orgy.) ...

I'm really not too fond of video game music..
but meh.
My opinion.

Mute Game.
Radio On.
Happy Player.
RaWk On. ;D

The music changed whenever you went near enemies though, i'm pretty sure about this.. unless i'm wrong lol