PDA

View Full Version : Longbow damaged based on what stat?

Shade-
Oct 9, 2006, 11:53 PM
sorry if it's been covered, it's getting closer to release and it's getting a little hectic to go through about a dosen multipage topics everyday and not miss important info, so I apologize if it's common knowledge.

Anyway, Is damage done with Longbows calculated like normal weapons with ATP deciding damage and ATA deciding accuracy? I heard talk a while ago that the weapon would boost MST/TAP and damage would be calculated by that. Furthermore, the charts on PSUpedia.org seem to indicate that they add the standard ATP/ATA. I'm concerned with it because it would, theoretically, give a beast force a moderate edge on a newman force if you use bows as a frequent source of damage. (blah blah beast ATA sux, leave it alone).

Thanks for any help clarifying this.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Oct 9, 2006, 11:59 PM
I'd imagine it goes off ATP.

Beast ATA + force ATA + bow = lots of missing.

Kyuu
Oct 10, 2006, 01:16 AM
I remember hearing previously that longbow damage was based on TAP rather than ATP. Don't hold me to that, however, as it's only a vague recollection and I could just be hallucinating.

physic
Oct 10, 2006, 01:46 AM
i doubt its tap, its a RA weapon mostly, and my Ra chr did as much dmg as with a rifle with it(a cast)

Ffuzzy-Logik
Oct 10, 2006, 01:50 AM
On 2006-10-09 23:46, physic wrote:
i doubt its tap, its a RA weapon mostly, and my Ra chr did as much dmg as with a rifle with it(a cast)

In online, the bow is force only.

Sev
Oct 10, 2006, 01:50 AM
I don't think the Longbow is a RA weapon Online. Pretty sure it's Force only there. It's probably ATP though... FOCast with Longbow seems like it'd be more fun to use. Then carry around support, debuff, and healing equiped weapons.

MoNoMaTe_MoNkEy
Oct 10, 2006, 01:53 AM
I believe I have also read that damage on Longbow is based on TAP/MST.

Sammy
Oct 10, 2006, 01:58 AM
Do longbows use bullets? That seems abnormal.

Itsuki
Oct 10, 2006, 02:11 AM
Long bow damage is based on ATP. People originally thought that it might be based on TAP because they just deal so damn much damage.

I mean, compared to a rifle, they have more ATP, more ATA, and can hit multiple enemies.

It is force only. And classes that stem from force. They use PP the same way as ranger weapons do.

AngelLight
Oct 10, 2006, 08:00 AM
here's a question....if it's aimed at forces, then are there only a limited number of PAs then assuming its using bullet arts and the fact that there's no 30 bullet art max cap for any force type?

Cross
Oct 10, 2006, 08:41 AM
The Photon Art cap applies to all Photon Arts, including Bullet Arts and Techniques, in one total figure. It has the same number of BAs as any other ranged weapon; one for each element.

On 2006-10-10 00:11, Itsuki-chan wrote:
I mean, compared to a rifle, they have more ATP, more ATA, and can hit multiple enemies.

Yeah, they're awesome weapons, but don't forget the firing rate. Rifles are way faster (and output more damage over time).
Also, about multiple targets, I'm pretty sure that I noticed doing that with a Longbow offline, but online it's never happened to me even once, so I'm not really sure how that works.

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 10, 2006, 09:32 AM
too bad hunters can't use longbows, it would be a bit more samurai-ish than a handgun.

Mwabwetumba
Oct 10, 2006, 09:38 AM
But it would also slow them down alot, whereas a handgun can be used while strafing...

Besides, what kind of knight would use a bow when honorable combat is present?

physic
Oct 10, 2006, 10:35 AM
hmmm being a fo weapon sucks, though i guess it makes more sense, since its virtually the same dmg, and really not that much slower, it would be a lot of work to level it. Still a weapon in the ranger category, (position) that they cant use at all, seems gayish. maybe they will have ra bows and fo only bows

AquaFlare7
Oct 10, 2006, 10:37 AM
On 2006-10-10 08:35, physic wrote:
hmmm being a fo weapon sucks, though i guess it makes more sense, since its virtually the same dmg, and really not that much slower, it would be a lot of work to level it. Still a weapon in the ranger category, (position) that they cant use at all, seems gayish. maybe they will have ra bows and fo only bows

FACT: Most Japanese players are force right now

FACT: I made the previous fact up based on my own experiences

Mag_Launcher
Oct 10, 2006, 12:49 PM
I'm just not seeing the usefulness of either the longbow or crossbow. The longbow, is simply a poor man's rifle, theres no need for a ranger to use it. (Although, being the mess around with all weapons type, this still sucks.) The crossbow... so far I've haven't really set it apart from a normal handgun... nor have I used it that much, either.

Kyuu
Oct 10, 2006, 01:00 PM
On 2006-10-10 10:49, Mag_Launcher wrote:

I'm just not seeing the usefulness of either the longbow or crossbow. The longbow, is simply a poor man's rifle, theres no need for a ranger to use it.
If you payed attention, you'd have seen people say it's a Force weapon. And actually, the longbow has better ATP and ATA than equivalent rifles. It's much slower though.

Mag_Launcher
Oct 10, 2006, 01:52 PM
... Which is why rangers shouldn't be bitching about not being able to use it, as it's inferior to the rifle. I already knew it was force only, thanks anyway.

However, I DID finally discover the crossbow's purpose. Seems like this little thing is like the Spread Needle's little brother at lv11+ bullet arts. Of course, it'll only go up to the 3 shot spread of a normal shotgun, but I guess this way you could consider it a "sawn-off shotgun" you can use with a saber or or something. Only problem being at lv11-20 it doesn't have a straight ahead shot.

Kyuu
Oct 10, 2006, 01:53 PM
On 2006-10-10 10:49, Mag_Launcher wrote:

I'm just not seeing the usefulness of either the longbow or crossbow.
If you knew it was a Force weapon, then why make this statment and say it's a "poor man's rifle"? Obviously, the usefulness is that Forces can use it, whereas they can't use a rifle. If you meant it's not useful to a Ranger, then my apologies, but that wasn't made clear in your post.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-10-10 11:57 ]</font>

Rizen
Oct 10, 2006, 01:57 PM
I wouldnt say Bow is inferior to Rifle, both have their purposes. Both have their purposes...

As far as Crossbow i never leveld one up. I always been interested what its purpose was and I think I might be interested now.

Mag_Launcher
Oct 10, 2006, 02:33 PM
Yeah, after seeing that it can potentially become a mini-shotgun, I certainly won't be ignoring it from now on. That, and higher shotgun level PP costs are absolutely horrible.

Perhaps the longbow can also spread, I dunno. (If it does, I can see why they wouldn't want us rangers using it, then.) But technically, wouldn't it be impossible for anyone to actually get lv30 longbow "bullets"? (online, that is.) If fortegunners can't use it, and guntechers can only get 20, what would be the deal?

Now I only wish the bullet PP saver unit didn't take such a huge-ass chunk of ATP/ATA away from you...

Rizen
Oct 10, 2006, 02:37 PM
I dont mind the PP costs of Shotguns although it is a bit high. In exchange, I get more of a wider spread with more damage so Im not complaining.

Well, if a force is trying to save PP later for spells, they could switch to bows and use it til actual spells are needed. I guess if they do this enough the bullet level will go up decently. For me, when I switch to level Force, Im to level at least 2 types of Bullets as high as I can.

And yeah...the PP saver thing takes what...200 ATP and 100 ATA? I dont think its worth it....I much rather just keep the PP recharger unit and get another arm slot for more ATP.

Mag_Launcher
Oct 10, 2006, 02:58 PM
Dunno how to get the PP charger unit you're talking about so I wouldn't know how useful it is.

Alisha
Oct 10, 2006, 07:28 PM
thank you for dispelling this myth all this time i thought long bows were tap based.

Itsuki
Oct 10, 2006, 09:41 PM
Ya, even I believe that at first. Becuase in beta, as a FOnewearl, with the lowest ATP in the game, I would deal usually 20 damage more than a RAcast of equivalent level with an equivalent rifle (like 3 star bow to 3 star rifle). It was only the difference of like 150 damage to 130 damage, but the point is, there is absolutely no reason a force using the lowest atp race should deal more damage with a ranged weapon then one of the highest atp rangers. They shouldn't even deal equivalent.

Of course, I know alot more about the game now, and its not quite as silly as it originally seemed. But I still think it'd be nice to have a RA use them. They are after all a ranged weapon, and something else to add to the ranger arsenal, which is already the smallest arsenal.