PDA

View Full Version : Would you play PSU if...

AquaFlare7
Oct 10, 2006, 10:26 AM
...there were no raving neon lights? Would definitely be a different game entirely! Seems that Sonic Team has gained a symbiotic trust with the glowing neon in this game. I feel like I am at a rave party eveytime I play.

Would you still play if the world didn't glow?

edit: yay spelling!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AquaFlare7 on 2006-10-10 08:34 ]</font>

1337Beeb
Oct 10, 2006, 10:29 AM
It would be better if they didn't.

RoninJoku
Oct 10, 2006, 10:32 AM
Of course I would still play http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Even though I dig the neon lights http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Chris28
Oct 10, 2006, 10:46 AM
would you play PSU if you were in a room with a guy who farted every 30 seconds?

DreamLocke
Oct 10, 2006, 10:48 AM
As a former raver, the neon lights and anime make me all warm and fuzzy inside. And with custom soundtracks, I can play breaks and drum and bass while I'm dancing around with bright neon weapons. Perfect.

foamcup
Oct 10, 2006, 10:49 AM
Yay neon! I needs muh shinies!

Bleemo
Oct 10, 2006, 10:49 AM
On 2006-10-10 08:46, Sinow wrote:
would you play PSU if you were in a room with a guy who farted every 30 seconds?

It depends. If this is a trick question, then that would mean that "guy" is actually yourself. If that is so, then yes, I don't mind my own farts every 30 seconds.

adamgnome104
Oct 10, 2006, 11:13 AM
I'm just glad I'm not Epileptic!

Rejor11
Oct 10, 2006, 11:14 AM
I just need my techno now...

Pikku
Oct 10, 2006, 11:16 AM
Well seeing that I havent seem so much of PSU other than the pictures and videos I would say I would still play it without the neon lights but... it would lose the feeling of the game... Phantasy Star should have the Eerie... Cool.... Shiny tone to it.... like..... you know "Quiet but very loud"...?
Im confusing you guys arent I...?

Sinue_v2
Oct 10, 2006, 11:23 AM
I would actually prefer it if it didn't have all those neon lights...

solidsolo
Oct 10, 2006, 11:26 AM
neon lights are cool... adds a pretty neat effect as well as a futuristic look to it.

sigseven
Oct 10, 2006, 11:31 AM
I like that it seperates the game from the mountain of generic medieval fantasy crap that compose 90% of all other online rpgs. Granted, that's more about the weapon design in general but most of them really just wouldn't work without the glowing.

Pikku
Oct 10, 2006, 11:40 AM
I just hope it doesnt flash like mad or something (Im going to be on Dial up)

Lovejuice
Oct 10, 2006, 11:49 AM
I dunno, as far as PSO goes, the art direction and general style was what personally kept me playing for such a long time. The whole online action-RPG thing was of course a draw, but without the whole style setup I probably would've dropped it much earlier (imagine PSO in a typical fantasy setup - would it still have the same appeal?).

Thankfully, PSU has great strength aside from its lovely art and such in its combat system, and general 'substance'. The combat in particular, at a current 'high' level (which is essentially mid-game when you think that the assumed maximum level is 100) is like no online experience I've seen in the forevers. It's just nuts. The good nuts.

adamgnome104
Oct 10, 2006, 12:42 PM
On 2006-10-10 09:40, Pikku wrote:
I just hope it doesnt flash like mad or something (Im going to be on Dial up)

I just hope it doesn't flash, my eyes would hurt.

Katrina
Oct 10, 2006, 12:51 PM
Rave Parties! woo! :runs around handing out glowsticks:

Sevenfold
Oct 10, 2006, 12:57 PM
Good thing Im a raver.

Cry0
Oct 10, 2006, 01:21 PM
shiny sticks, woo!

Sinue_v2
Oct 10, 2006, 03:42 PM
I dunno, as far as PSO goes, the art direction and general style was what personally kept me playing for such a long time.

While I never really minded PSO's artstyle, It didn't really do anything to draw me in either. I would have been much happier with a more traditional art direction - expecially if Rieko Kodama was leading the art staff again. I loved the art direction of Skies of Arcadia, and I would be happy as hell if I could get an online RPG with that same inspiration.

-Klaus-
Oct 10, 2006, 03:51 PM
..... Jeebuz.. People are REALLY running out of good topic ideas.

TheStoicOne
Oct 10, 2006, 04:15 PM
No, Klaus this is a GOOD topic! :angry:
I would play it. I would just change mah tv settings until it was all braaahgt an ShaaaaahnY Agin!!

Arcanum
Oct 10, 2006, 04:24 PM
YEah man, that trance~techno feels to the game attracts me alot.

Diablohead
Oct 10, 2006, 04:26 PM
I love pso for its gameplay and all that but also being set in the FUTURE where other games in the same class are always historical with steel swords or something. The whole neon glow business makes it special.

Blueberry
Oct 10, 2006, 04:27 PM
My ultimate fear is that I become allergic to neon lights. I would be fine where I was...but I could never touch a Phantasy Star game ever again, for fear of horrible things.

I love the lights. :3

Nani-chan
Oct 10, 2006, 04:41 PM
I saw people doing walking tours of cities on youtube as a search of "PSU cities". Seems to be plenty of neon lights.

The bland featureless people fading out (as you get close to them) kinda scared me, like something out of SE:Lain. I'm sure it's just to make them feel more populated though.

ghaleonreborn
Oct 10, 2006, 07:20 PM
it wouldnt be a Phantay Star game without the super bright anime like colors....so i dont know if it would be the same game...

Ensong
Oct 10, 2006, 07:22 PM
I like the neon lights, coming from FFXI ( OMG EVERYTHING IS BROWN OR BLACK )

Waber
Oct 10, 2006, 07:27 PM
I like the neon lights, it will keep you awake if you get tired, but I would still play the game, with or without the lights.http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Emrald
Oct 10, 2006, 08:06 PM
would you still play psu if I was there staring at you?

mogshaz
Oct 10, 2006, 08:08 PM
On 2006-10-10 18:06, coolcat33333 wrote:
would you still play psu if I was there staring at you?

yes, but would you still play psu is i THERE brushing your hair and whispering satuff to you?

Emrald
Oct 10, 2006, 08:10 PM
Hell yeah! Even if you molested me I'd keep playing psu!.....but it would be kind of hard since i will play psu pc!

mogshaz
Oct 10, 2006, 08:12 PM
On 2006-10-10 18:10, coolcat33333 wrote:
Hell yeah! Even if you molested me I'd keep playing psu!.....but it would be kind of hard since i will play psu pc!

oral or anal molestation? cause that matters.

Pikku
Oct 10, 2006, 08:15 PM
Would you play PSU still if you had an old woman naked bent over on top of your TV (not covering the screen) making sexual noises? (Or Computer Monitor/Screen whichever youre going to play on)

mogshaz
Oct 10, 2006, 08:20 PM
On 2006-10-10 18:15, Pikku wrote:
Would you play PSU still if you had an old woman naked bent over on top of your TV (not covering the screen) making sexual noises? (Or Computer Monitor/Screen whichever youre going to play on)

YES!

Pikku
Oct 10, 2006, 08:22 PM
Ok you all are scaring me now...

Viper472
Oct 10, 2006, 08:56 PM
First: Yay for me, new account, I hated my old name, starting fresh for PSU.

Second: This is getting really akward, and I would play PSU no matter what

Third: Back tot he original subject, PSU would just not be a PS game without the glow and warm feelign injected via syringe into every harccore raver's heart (yes please), or those who just love the smell and taste fo glowsticks (I've eaten a few...it burns). It makes the games so much more futuristic and sureal, sets them apart from the masses of LOTR and WoW esque games that flow like a teenager on thier period. PSU is makign a difference in the RPG community, and its freakin' awsome.

SideNote: I'm not sure if we discussed this, but PSU is relasing same day as .hack//G.U. Vol. 1, the first dot hack game in 3 years, which is goign to be awsome. I've reserved both, the special edition of G.U. at that (YEah, my wallet is literally empty now, cept for the recipt sayign I reserved them). Anyways, .hack.// is a nother amazing franchise putting a good name to RPGs amongst many, many, many crappy names...like...poop-cakes...and...World of Warcraft.

Jife_Jifremok
Oct 10, 2006, 09:32 PM
I don't remember so many neon lights zerg-rushing the setting in those old Phantasy Star games. You know, the ones with the cool stories and crappy turn-based combat systems. I would have preferred a not-so-neon kind of sci-fi more like the old Algol or perhaps some space-opera anime, but the excesses of neon sure as hell aint gonna stop me from inhabiting Gurhal. I just hope I won't be eating with photon spoons.

Sexy_Raine
Oct 10, 2006, 10:28 PM
On 2006-10-10 09:31, sigseven wrote:
I like that it seperates the game from the mountain of generic medieval fantasy crap that compose 90% of all other online rpgs. Granted, that's more about the weapon design in general but most of them really just wouldn't work without the glowing.

I couldn't agree with you more. The damn medival setting is soooooo overused and overrated. Thank God PSU doesn't have that setting, I would find it a lot less appealing if it did.

Topic: The neon looks and effects don't bother me. I think it adds to the futuristic atmosphere

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sexy_Raine on 2006-10-10 20:29 ]</font>

vitius137
Oct 10, 2006, 10:29 PM
would you play PSU if it costed over $100 and was only released in Japan? *o*

Nani-chan
Oct 10, 2006, 11:37 PM
meh it costs $450 for some of us (if buying 360 just for this game)

DamonKatu
Oct 10, 2006, 11:54 PM
On 2006-10-10 10:51, Pixiesugar wrote:

Just dont except ANYTHING from ANYONE! ok?

* DK and his little monkey joins in too* YAHOO XD

Nani-chan
Oct 10, 2006, 11:58 PM
Aww, but mommy told me casts can't get stds.

DamonKatu
Oct 11, 2006, 12:04 AM
but you KNOW that you can get a a virus from an android if he didnt have a virus sweep and someone could steal some of your parts. You need to update your firewall cuz honey you need to protect yourself.

Kafie: lissen to your father. *rolls eyes*

DK: Im not her father, I was just advising....

Shade-
Oct 11, 2006, 12:18 AM
honestly, PSO probably never would have caught my eye if it wern't for the art style/time period. If it had been people in armor in a stronghold, weilding steel weapons where everything lies on a monochrome brown, green, or black color scheme.

That's not to say the game would have been any less fun to play on a fundamental level, but setting itself drasticly apart is very nice. I love photons.

Sammy
Oct 11, 2006, 12:36 AM
The lights hurt my eyes.

Pikku
Oct 11, 2006, 09:01 AM
<<<Homesick
I Want PSU now ; ;

Viper472
Oct 12, 2006, 05:16 PM
holy crap vitius, nice flash skillz. (I just got Flash 8 Pro...too bad I have no clue how to use it)

Merc
Oct 12, 2006, 08:50 PM
I liked the futuristic theme of PSO more than the middle aged theme of most RPGs. So if they took out these "Neon lights" I would probably still play the game but I enjoy the lights. : /

Tystys
Oct 12, 2006, 08:52 PM
On 2006-10-10 09:13, adamgnome104 wrote:
I'm just glad I'm not Epileptic!

Took the ever loving words right out of my mouth

Frog
Oct 12, 2006, 10:25 PM
As long as the game is Phantasy Star I'll play. What I love about Sonic Team, is that they don't crank out a zillion sequels and they stick to the atmosphere they they started with the very first game!

In 20 years, the series has only seen these titles...

PS I-IV
PSO I,II,III
PSU

All the games keep the same art-style, techniques, and weapons!

CherryLunar
Oct 12, 2006, 10:30 PM
On 2006-10-10 10:51, Pixiesugar wrote:

Hehehe... Kandy Kids are fun. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Time to break out my poi and get down!

Seriously though... PSU would sort of lose its spark if they got rid of the glowy weapons. And I'm totally digging the glowy strips on the clothing. That was the first thing I spotted in PSU.