PDA

View Full Version : Still having the spark...

Ryoga4523
Oct 10, 2006, 11:52 AM
I know this might have been done already, but for those of you who have played PSU; does it still have that mysterious element to it that made PSO so much fun playing? I really dont have any idea what actually made PSO that much fun, but all I can remember is me staying home from school because I pretended to be more sick than I really was just to play and level up and get new items and trade with other ppl. Even the PSO ver.1 back on the DC, was so repetitive I loved it more than any other mmorpg or rpg that I have ever played. I have played everything from WoW, CoH/CoV, SWG, to FFXI. I usually got burned out really quick and there was so much that one could do in all of those games compared to PSO. It might have been the character creation that enabled so much variety (even though there were about 100,000 variants of Sephiroth ^_^). Does PSU have that undescribable essence that made me lose track of time again and again and again...

Ecstasy
Oct 10, 2006, 11:58 AM
i haven't got a chance to play PSU yet. But i remember PSO on the DC and how much fun it was. I've also played many MMORPG's but PSO even how repetive it was, was still my favorite online RPG ever. So i know PSU is going to be awesome exspecially sense it's going to have ALOT more content the PSO for DC ever hade.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ecstasy on 2006-10-10 09:59 ]</font>

Ecstasy
Oct 10, 2006, 12:01 PM
I also still have my original PSO game for the DC. I would love to go get a DC and give it a go again, But i hear they closed down the DC servers:(

Pikku
Oct 10, 2006, 12:06 PM
Dreamcast Original Servers Went Down October 10th 2003.
I was the last US player to log off on that game. (I'm serious...)
BUT!!! If youre on EU and JPN those times you couldve played forever it seems... of course after I logged off for my last time that date I couldnt get back on due to the fact that I had to log on the US server 1st before I couldve went anywhere...

Ecstasy
Oct 10, 2006, 12:29 PM
Wow they really have been shutdown that long? I stoped playing around Aug 2001 when Duping was getting pretty bad. I hade just graduated High school at that point and didnt really have time to play anymore. So the DC game is useless now? Oh well im really excited about PSU only 2 weeks to go, I'm going to be playing on the PC:)

Pikku
Oct 10, 2006, 12:34 PM
Well not actually... And I was graduacting HS that time to heh (Yes I did graduate -.-).
You can play on the hacked PSODC Servers if you find a way to get onto it.
It might be called "Hacked" Server but its mor organized and more updated than the official Servers.
Legit Gamers were/are separated from the Hackers/Cheaters and theres no FSOD NOLing or anything...
I never got the chance to get on the hacked servers though...
But I checked it out on Gamecube a while back in April of this year...
(Yeah on The Hacked Servers Gamecube, PC, and Dreamcast are al connected together... (Of course noy Xbox though)

Edit: Ill be on both PC and PS2 (On dial up though ><)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pikku on 2006-10-10 10:35 ]</font>

Ryoga4523
Oct 10, 2006, 12:39 PM
ewwwwwwwwwwwww... dial up -_-

Pikku
Oct 10, 2006, 12:43 PM
Where I live cant get anything else... trust me Im trying -.-
Something about my Wiring in ths house is wrong? o.O
(I dont know... some load of bull from the internet/pone companies... dont know if its true or not)

foamcup
Oct 10, 2006, 12:52 PM
Dial-up?

AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA *breathe* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sevenfold
Oct 10, 2006, 12:57 PM
wtf is dial up.

Belts
Oct 10, 2006, 12:58 PM
On 2006-10-10 10:57, Sevenfold wrote:
wtf is dial up.

An ancient means of accessing the internet.

Mitz
Oct 10, 2006, 12:59 PM
IT'S THE COZYNESS!!!!!

Actually. It IS the cozyness. It's what it makes it fun ^.^;

I hope you have a bit of that feeling in PSU.

DreamLocke
Oct 10, 2006, 01:39 PM
I agree with all of you. I've never had as much fun with an MMO than with PSO. Just so many landmark moments I've had that I'd have to start a new topic just to name them all. (First Ruins party...beating Dark Falz on Ultimate...the memories...)

PS has that intangible "something" that makes it so fun that leveling never seemed like a chore.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DreamLocke on 2006-10-10 11:40 ]</font>

BlueDagger
Oct 10, 2006, 01:49 PM
On 2006-10-10 11:39, DreamLocke wrote:
I agree with all of you. I've never had as much fun with an MMO than with PSO. Just so many landmark moments I've had that I'd have to start a new topic just to name them all. (First Ruins party...beating Dark Falz on Ultimate...the memories...)

PS has that intangible "something" that makes it so fun that leveling never seemed like a chore.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DreamLocke on 2006-10-10 11:40 ]</font>

I agree. I think it's all the memories and good times we all had with PSO that made it such a great game. Most other games can't copy this becuase their worlds are so BIG http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif !! They don't allow for you to just sit in the lobby and chat, becuase that friend you want to chat with is half way across the world on a different continent with 59 other people trying to defeat "Zulahumalligan the Evil Dragon from Hell".....or something like that....

Spacepest
Oct 10, 2006, 03:25 PM
On 2006-10-10 10:58, Belts wrote:

On 2006-10-10 10:57, Sevenfold wrote:
wtf is dial up.

An ancient means of accessing the internet.

Indeed. ROFLMAO

I liked how PSO was so easy to pick up and play, for an online game. I've played other games like EQ 2, FFXI, and WoW, and man, I hate the party systems in those games. Nothing more annoying than having to wait to start a party to do something in. I liked how in PSO you could immediately create a game and just GO PLAY, and since death penalties in PSO were minimal (no exp loss or deleveling like in many other online games) you could be truly insane and try to tackle a dungeon by yourself if your friends were late. And that kind of insanity is fun!

Let's not even go into the issues of raiding guilds with 40+ members fighting over a single dungeon's loot in other MMOs.

Also, I loved the instanced areas of PSO, with just you and your party. You didn't have to worry about some random asshat coming along and interfering with your gaming, or being in one area 24/7 hogging up all the monsters and loot.

Zorafim
Oct 10, 2006, 03:25 PM
"Zulahumalligan the Evil Dragon from Hell"...

Did you make that up on the spot?

Bomberto
Oct 10, 2006, 05:11 PM
You didn't worry about leveling up in PSO because leveling up was a byproduct of having fun and playing

Pikku
Oct 10, 2006, 05:26 PM
What keeps me on Phantasy Star (Mostly the MMORPG series) is the music... gameplay... enemies... friends... foes (real people you just hate)... rival (same for real people)... and the easy way to just go in a game and be alone if you want to and not worry about no one...
You can never be alone in a game like lets say FFXI... unless you stick yourself into your Moogle House theres no other Privacy in that game whatsoever...
Oh and how It gives off that Eerie but also playful vibe... music also play a role in this... even though some of the music I just simply hate or certain monster that just make me wanna go @#)($&#@)(%$^#@)(%&#@()#@&($)
Like Gees.... ugh... *Sing that song I made up in PSO...*
*Ahem* But yeah... Im sure as hell that PSU will make me feel back at home (Home as in PSO) Ever since I got a hold of that game and from now... its like my comfort zone.
And you know whats funny...?
Even though I loved the Phantasy Star games on Genesis.. the main reason I got PSO and got it so fast (Because PSO was an online game which I never ever tried before that so I wouldnt really be interested in it...) was because of the Sonic Adventure 2 Demo that game with it...