PDA

View Full Version : Custom Soundtrack on Xbox360?

adamgnome104
Oct 10, 2006, 12:41 PM
I heard someone mention this, but is it possible to put a custom soundtrack on PSU with the Xbox 360?

I'm curious I don't even have an Xbox yet, so I'm not entirely sure about it.

Numnuttz
Oct 10, 2006, 12:46 PM
yea most likely. you can with all games.you just add the songs to yoru harddrive and play them off of there. it than takes the place of teh music from teh game. i know that im planning on doing that when i play. not during the beta though.

Deathcraze
Oct 10, 2006, 12:47 PM
Yeah, custom soundtracks are now done through the dashboard and not per game like on the original Xbox so every game has it.

adamgnome104
Oct 10, 2006, 01:02 PM
Time to replace PSU's music with classic Phantasy Star music, haha, thank you.

FateOfTheArt
Oct 10, 2006, 01:05 PM
Another way to do it rather than ripping music to the HDD is to stream it over a home network or stream it from from a usb device such as an mp3 player (ipod/zen, etc).

Firestarter2k
Oct 10, 2006, 01:23 PM
On 2006-10-10 11:02, adamgnome104 wrote:

thats a very good idea ! haha ive never thought of it before.

Scirrocco
Oct 10, 2006, 01:52 PM
Now if only you could assign specific songs to play at certain times (running through quest area, boss battles, etc) it would well and truly rock.

Natrokos
Oct 10, 2006, 01:57 PM
I did that with FFXI....Replaced it with music from FFV and FFII. I think it would be awesome to play and have PS2 music in the background.

justbrak
Oct 10, 2006, 04:03 PM
I use a Usb flash drive with all of my music set up in different folders access it on the 360 and just pick a folder that reflects my game or mood at the moment. Love the custom soundtrack ability. Would not be able to handle Uno if I didn't utilize my own tunes. FFXI music got old real fast as well. Especially during updates.

Rav3nlock
Oct 10, 2006, 04:07 PM
It may be possible, but if you have yet to hear the music, I suggest give it a try first. A lot of the cutscenes, as well as the opening credits, are recorded by the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra, and it's really impressive to hear the full orchestra play rather than synthesized music at those moments. Especially if you care to sit through the entire seven-minute title music theme.

The only song I've yet to truly enjoy is the vocal track Save This World. Hopefully it'll grow on me, but as a music major, there are little spots that bug me throughout it.

xenokai
Oct 10, 2006, 04:18 PM
the game doesnt have to support custom soundtrack. 360 custom music functions like a PC media player in the background. so yes it works.

adamgnome104
Oct 10, 2006, 04:28 PM
On 2006-10-10 14:07, Rav3nlock wrote:
It may be possible, but if you have yet to hear the music, I suggest give it a try first. A lot of the cutscenes, as well as the opening credits, are recorded by the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra, and it's really impressive to hear the full orchestra play rather than synthesized music at those moments. Especially if you care to sit through the entire seven-minute title music theme.

The only song I've yet to truly enjoy is the vocal track Save This World. Hopefully it'll grow on me, but as a music major, there are little spots that bug me throughout it.

I'm probably going to use if I spend the day chatting to people in the lobby, the same music played over and over again would get boring after awhile!

Rav3nlock
Oct 10, 2006, 04:31 PM
It gets a bit old after a while when on Neudaiz, with the cute little nasally voices that sing a couple notes every so often. But, the music certainly isn't boring right off the bat.

Valkayree
Oct 10, 2006, 04:52 PM
Yes you can. And if you have a way to record old PSO tunes onto a CD, you can burn it onto your 360 then hit the flashing button in the middle of the controller to bring up your menu, select your tunes from the audio menu, and there you go.

mogshaz
Oct 10, 2006, 05:46 PM
On 2006-10-10 14:52, Valkayree wrote:
Yes you can. And if you have a way to record old PSO tunes onto a CD, you can burn it onto your 360 then hit the flashing button in the middle of the controller to bring up your menu, select your tunes from the audio menu, and there you go.

Theres no need to record anything if you have the PC version of PSO you can just go into the games BGM files and sega was nice enough to put all the music in the game into WAV format that you can play with any media player. All you have to do is convert that to MP3 or WMA and use the media extender to send the files to your 360.

theShoal
Oct 10, 2006, 05:52 PM
Speaking of this, the optional iPod support download never worked for me. I am still unable to stream the protected AAC files from my iPod (nano) to the 360. Anyone able to help with that? BTW, I've had this thing since it came out, and I've never figured out the problem.

NosajX7
Oct 10, 2006, 06:10 PM
I'll be playing "Burning Rangers" 100% of the time.

Invisible1122
Oct 10, 2006, 06:14 PM
Shoal, the update only lets you play AAC files, unfortunately there's no way to play protected ones(from the iTunes store)

Pikku
Oct 10, 2006, 06:14 PM
If I was a 360player/lover/user I would use this option to play music in places and stages and areas that are similar between PSO and PSU.
Like during the PSU Dragon fight I would play the Dragons music form PSO.
Or the lobby I would play the original PSO lobby music.
(I put Sonic Adventure 2 Music in replace of Sonic Adventure DX PC version like this... Speed Highway into Radical Highway and Speed Highway 2 as City Escape... etc etc...)
But yeah I rather hear the music of PSU now... and pray itll make me smile just like PSO did...does...

theShoal
Oct 10, 2006, 06:19 PM
Alright, that what I figured. Thanks for the clarification.

Deathcraze
Oct 10, 2006, 06:39 PM
On 2006-10-10 14:07, Rav3nlock wrote:

On the 360 whenever you encounter a cutscene, the custom soundtrack will pause and let the game play its music and such and then start up again once the cutscene is finished so you don't have to worry ^-^

If I was a 360player/lover/user I would use this option to play music in places and stages and areas that are similar between PSO and PSU.

I would love this but sadly havent come across a 360 game that allows you to do anything like this. The default custom soundtrack feature on the 360 is basically a playlist that will play continuously in place of the games default music.

To do as you suggest would require a bit of extra effort on behalf of the developers, and the only one so far that I know of that has done this is Konami with Rumble Roses XX, which lets you have seperate songs for the wrestlers entrances.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Deathcraze on 2006-10-10 16:42 ]</font>

ghaleonreborn
Oct 10, 2006, 07:17 PM
yep totally going to rock out to Slayer Misfits and Black Flag while i play!!!!

adamgnome104
Oct 11, 2006, 01:56 PM
Or if you're completely slow when it comes to technolodgy like me, just use even a cheap Mp3 player that can hook up to a USB thing.

I love listening to crazy dance music through the Xbox, it would be especially fun in the cities.

solidsolo
Oct 11, 2006, 02:08 PM
On 2006-10-10 11:02, adamgnome104 wrote:

where did you get the soundtrack?? i miss that cheezy city music lol

WraithAkaMrak
Oct 11, 2006, 02:22 PM
Star Wars trilogy soundtrack seems like it would be a good fit.

RuinedReBirth
Oct 11, 2006, 05:42 PM
Custom soundtracks is an Xbox360 feature, not a game. Most of them just put that on the case just to draw attention to the game, who wouldn't? It's mainly a MP that runs in the background...think turning BGM down and playing your own music. There isn't a 360 game to date that won't allow custom soundtracks. =P...That I know of, anyway.

Blueblur
Oct 11, 2006, 06:06 PM
Let's just say that my iPod and my 360 get along quite well.