PDA

View Full Version : Has the whole single target/crowd control weapon types been

Zorafim
Oct 10, 2006, 03:21 PM
In PSO, it seems like you'd always want a weapon that did alot of damage to one enemy as well as one that hits multiple enemies. From what I've seen, the normal hits of most weapons always seem to target one enemy, while PAs seem to target multiple enemies. Does this mean that there won't be a need to switch weapons out? Also, does this mean that you would be able to pick a weapon based more on thier look or playability rather than their use?

Rizen
Oct 10, 2006, 03:35 PM
Swords hit enemies in a wide formation, Spears hit enemies in a linear formation.

Pure-chan
Oct 10, 2006, 03:40 PM
There are rumors about the fan weapons acting like a slicer, too. No one knows for certain yet, though...

Rav3nlock
Oct 10, 2006, 03:56 PM
Depends. I got a chance recently to try a friend's imported version, so I spent some time with a low-leveled hunter and low-leveled ranger with basic weapons of a variety of types. For normal attacks for saber, twin sabers, dagger, twin daggers, and knuckles, they focused on single-enemy attacks, and varied mainly in hits-per-combo, damage, and speed. On the PAs for things such as a saber, though, I was able to hit multiple enemies, and often sent three or so monsters into the air on the second hit of the PA combo. A weapon such as the sword, however, did damage relative to the saber but hit multiple enemies (3+). In order to conserve photon energy for single-hit weapons, I would say it is best to switch out weapons if you know you'll be doing a lot of single-hit yet a lot of multi-hit attacks, since there are some serious advantages to single-hit weapons (knuckles, for instance, are fast and powerful, dual daggers can do seven-hit combos, etc). You could stick with a sword, but at times, they're extremely slow to combo with, and to begin new combos with. Fortunately, it's very easy to switch between weapons mid-battle, it becomes second nature after some practice.

It's slightly different for ranger weapons: handgun, dual handgun, rifle. They'd generally hit one target, though if you line up your enemies properly, you can occasionally hit two enemies (I only saw this with small enemies, and rarely, from twin handguns and rifles.) The shotgun did spread damage, and I found myself switching to it from time to time when I was surrounded. Machine guns are also useful if you strafe while attacking with them, as ranged weapons don't lock onto an enemy when you hold the strafe button like hunter weapons. The trick is with the bullets you can assign to each gun, as well as each gun's specific abilities in reload speed and power (and occasionally knockback, the rifle was quite powerful), it's best to switch up every so often depending on the enemy. As well, if you're out of photon charges and you deplete a weapon's photon energy, you'll have to equip it and wait for it to reload--it doesn't recharge unless you have that specific weapon equipped.

As a ranger, I also could use a bow in extra mode given the range of weaponry available to extra-mode characters, and could occasionally hit two enemies, similar to the rifle. (the bow's a beast in terms of power in comparison to all the other weapons I could readily afford at their cheapest level.) But, I had the same problem as a ranger, if I stuck to the bow, I'd run out of photon energy and would have to wait for it to recharge.

Final thought: it's easier to stick to one weapon as a hunter, as if you run out of photon energy you still have attacks, but it is wiser to switch weapons out based on their strengths than to find one jack-of-all-trades weapon. Rangers either need to switch out smartly and recharge when you know you won't encounter enemies for a bit, or make sure they have photon charges at the ready, and after comparing ranger weapons, there are a couple preferable ones but not one that is useful in every instance. Forces... you're on your own, I haven't studied them extensively yet.

Hope that essay helped give you what you needed, and then some, heh.

Bomberto
Oct 10, 2006, 05:06 PM
You can also keep a few good weapons for each element and swap them in and out of your pallette before you go do a mission. Know you are fighting tons of Ice monsters and some Earth? Pack most of you Fire weapons and grab something electric. It seems that elements are one of the main points of damage, since with 6 man teams and knockback on every hit you don't need to worry much about controlling the crowd.