PDA

View Full Version : Which version of PSU should _I_ get?

WraithAkaMrak
Oct 10, 2006, 09:05 PM
It's been over 3 years since I've logged in here? Wow...

Anyway, I apologize if this is a topic that's been done to death, but I'm trying to figure out which version of PSU I should get, PS2, PC or Xbox 360.

PS2:
I have a slimline PS2 (connected via component) and wireless USB keyboard (it worked for the online setup disc, at least). Is there widescreen support for this title on PS2 (or for other versions, for that matter)? I have a 32" widescreen HDTV, w/ component and HDMI inputs, and prefer running games in real widescreen mode. PS2 version may not look as good as PC and 360 versions, but I already have everything I'd need for the game, and I could play with PC players as well.

PC:
I have a decent PC (Athlon 64 3500+, 1GB RAM, X800 256MB graphics card), but no PC gamepad (or controller adapter), which I'd probably want to get. I didn't like trying to use a keyboard & mouse when I tried the PC PSO open beta. PC version would hopefully let me take screenshots easily. Can play with PS2 players. Should be able to hook up to my HDTV using component or DVI->HDMI adapter (though this isn't quite as convenient as a console setup), and use wireless keyboard.

Xbox 360:
I don't have an Xbox 360 yet, but I have been thinking about it, and wouldn't be opposed to getting one. I haven't really used headset voice chat much, and think I may prefer using a keyboard, like good 'ol PSO. Though the 360 may have better visuals, and would hopefully have 720p & widescreen support. May not be able to take screenshots. Won't be able to play with PS2 and PC players.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WraithAkaMrak on 2006-10-10 19:09 ]</font>

Slitz
Oct 10, 2006, 09:08 PM
Looks like you have it all set up for ps2...

McLaughlin
Oct 10, 2006, 09:09 PM
The Xbox 360 version is the only one that supports Widescreen, as well as 720p. My preference is uncrowded servers (less lag), and there's no way I'm going to use a keyboard when I have a perfectly working headset and controller.

Just my personal preference though.

Ether
Oct 10, 2006, 09:11 PM
Your PC is good enough, I would recommend that version, all you need is a gamepad, cuz its horrible playing without one

mogshaz
Oct 10, 2006, 09:11 PM
Somethign else to consider, while PC and ps2 play on the same servers the 360 servers aren't region specific so you can play with people from EU and Japan (all 4 of the people that own 360s there)

WraithAkaMrak
Oct 10, 2006, 09:12 PM
On 2006-10-10 19:09, Zeta wrote:
The Xbox 360 version is the only one that supports Widescreen, as well as 720p.
So a PC user couldn't play it at something like 1280x720, if they have a widescreen monitor or TV connected? That would be pretty unfortunate...

Openget
Oct 10, 2006, 09:16 PM
PS2-your all set for it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Openget on 2006-10-10 19:16 ]</font>

WraithAkaMrak
Oct 10, 2006, 09:19 PM
One more question, if I may:
I read on 1up that for 360, the fee is $10/mo (US), and that on PC and PS2, you can also pay $50/6months (~$8.33/mo). Is the 6-month rate also available for 360 or no? It's only a $20 difference over a year, but still, you can get a greatest hits title for that.

Parn
Oct 10, 2006, 09:25 PM
The PS2 suffers from annoying slowdown which is going to be very popular around here once people start roaming missions in 6-man teams. All the folks stating it's "not that bad" have been watching videos that don't have six characters on screen with effects going off, and you'll want to be on the PC version, especially considering that your PC is more than capable. Trust me. Because there is no auto-frameskip function, slowdown affects the action onscreen, making you run like you're underwater and everything else moves slower than it should, causing the onscreen action to desynch a lot more often. So yeah, get it for PC.

BTW, I'm going to go ahead and call it! 4-man teams will become the standard several weeks after launch despite the 6-man limit due to the PS2 slowdown and people realizing there's a lot less of it when you have 4 members in a team or less. You read it here first!

Velrath
Oct 10, 2006, 09:26 PM
I think for the 360 version you can also pay with microsoft points, 800pts = 1 month I believe...

Oh and I think you should get the PS2/PC version cause then you could play with me. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Velrath on 2006-10-10 19:27 ]</font>

Raide_the_3rd
Oct 10, 2006, 09:34 PM
It is also said that you can use a headset for the PC version using "teamspeak." Sounds like a good option for PC when you don't feel like using a keyboard and just a PC controller.

ghaleonreborn
Oct 10, 2006, 10:40 PM
xbox 360 voice chat!!!!

foamcup
Oct 10, 2006, 10:52 PM
Max res on PC is 1280x1024. I recommend PC version, since you can turn on some AF (no AA at the moment) and you won't be getting slowdown like on the PS2. It's your call though.

WraithAkaMrak
Oct 10, 2006, 11:00 PM
My primary PC monitor is a 20.1" LCD w/ native 1600x1200. In which case I wouldn't really want to down-res to 1280x1024. If I tried hooking up to my TV, I'd guess it would be like 1280x720 or so. That's if it will run widescreen.

WraithAkaMrak
Oct 11, 2006, 12:06 AM
Well, from another thread (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=119394&forum=20&start=15), it looks like you can use a USB keyboard in the 360 version as well. Which is probably what I'd want to do (just not big into voice chat yet).

If that's the case, and if some of these problems actually do crop up on the PS2...maybe 360 would be the way to go.

Raide_the_3rd
Oct 11, 2006, 12:14 AM
I would of never guess a lot of people would lean over towards the 360 version. In a sense it sounds like the best choice rather than paying for a (possible if slightly) PC upgrade or pimping up your PS2 for online play. You guys are starting to convince me to get a 360 now.

I hope EB Games has a decent trade in policy...

Kyuu
Oct 11, 2006, 12:21 AM
Your PC is well-equipped to play PSU at max settings currently, so that's the way to go if you don't want to spend money (except on a gamepad, which is only $40 or less... and if you buy a 360 controller, you can use that with a 360 too if you ever decide to get one in the future). Wouldn't make sense to get it for the PS2 with that computer, since you'll have better visuals, less slowdown, quicker loads, etc. and so on. You can use Teamspeak or Ventrilo if you like talking, and don't have to listen to every random idiot babbling and yelling like you will on the 360.

If you want to blow money on a 360, then yeah, it looks great (and is the only version that supports widescreen resolutions, though I'd put money that Sega will eventually release a patch of some sort for the PC version to allow for more resolution options) and does get to play with people on the JP servers, if you care about that sort of thing.

The EU and US servers are linked on both the PS2/PC and 360 platforms, by the way, since some people seem to be misinformed about that part.

Here's the equations:

PC+PS2 = US+EU
X360 = US+EU+JP

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-10-10 22:43 ]</font>

WraithAkaMrak
Oct 11, 2006, 12:33 AM
The EU and US servers are linked on both the PS2/PC and 360 platforms, by the way, since some people seem to be misinformed about that part.
Ah, I hadn't heard that yet.

Merumeru
Oct 11, 2006, 12:58 AM
wah now im so confused X.X i thought ps2 would be fine, but if the party potential is going to be compromised, i dont know...

AnamanaAU
Oct 11, 2006, 01:09 AM
PC or XBOX360. If you have a decent PC, then PS2 version is just a waste. If you don't have many friends playing, get PC. Unless you have friends wanting you to play 360 with them, get that then. PC/PS2 will have more players.

Phalynx
Oct 11, 2006, 01:19 AM
Is say either PC or 360, I'll be on the 360 and like that more personally, someone had made a good point in another topic that everyone will have the same hardware, therefore you wont have to party with a potential slower user. Meaning they either have a crappy PC or just have the PS2 version and suffer from slowdown. I wouldnt wanna group with someone that constantly falls behind and cant properly contribute in a full group.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phalynx on 2006-10-10 23:19 ]</font>

Wild_Coyote
Oct 11, 2006, 09:05 AM
Since you're on these boards, I expect you'll be putting a lot of hours into PSU. Given you seem to have the means to play either the PC or 360 version, I think you'll regret paying $50 for the PS2 version, so lets just throw out the PS2 version.

I think your decision between the 360 and PC boils down to how you want to communicate in the game.

Everyone on the PC servers will be using text to chat. On the other hand you can expect most players on the 360 to be relying on voice chat. I expect many player on the 360 servers, including myself, won't even have keyboards plugged in.

Everyone seems to bring up TeamSpeak or Skype for voice chat on the PC version. Yes it can work quite well, but it's not the same as the 360 version. I've played Guild Wars and World of Warcraft on the PC, and TeamSpeak and Skype are not in the same league as Xbox voice chat. It's only a viable option for friends, as setting up a chat session happens entirely outside of the game, and is kind of a pain comparatively. Many people on PC won't have microphones set up or the chat application installed you want to use, or even worse have crappy microphones that echo or have volume level issues (too quiet or too loud).

Voice chat on the 360 will have it's problems too. Some of the lobbies in PSO-Xbox were a mess. Kids screaming, singing, playing music etc. Hopefully they improve the voice chat in the cities for PSU, I'm very anxious to see how they handle this.

I've got a PC capable of running the game at full settings and a 360. I'm not a big fan of typing while playing a game so I'll be opting for the 360 version.

Sounds like you're looking at dropping at least a $100 (maybe more) to get your HD display hooked up to your pc, a wireless keyboard, controller and such. That's a pretty healthy headstart on 360 system.

WraithAkaMrak
Oct 11, 2006, 09:32 AM
On 2006-10-11 07:05, Wild_Coyote wrote:
Sounds like you're looking at dropping at least a $100 (maybe more) to get your HD display hooked up to your pc, a wireless keyboard, controller and such. That's a pretty healthy headstart on 360 system.Well, I've got the wireless keyboard (which I would use for either 360 or PC, as I'm not real big on voice chat).

I'd need a new component cable (cheap) or a DVI>HDMI adapter (maybe $20 if I buy online, $30 in store), if going PC to TV. I suppose a PC gamepad or adapter would be like $25.

For 360, I'd need, well, the 360. But there are other games I would probably also get at this point anyway (PGR3, Test Drive, DOA4, NBA2k7, maybe Dead Rising), and a few on the horizon. So it's not like I'd be only using it for PSU.

So going w/ PC wouldn't be a huge investment, but PC-to-TV may be a less convenient setup than 360, and I'm guessing 360 may look better on TV than PC on TV (especially if PC doesn't support widescreen). If 360 didn't support keyboard chat, I might be less inclined. But if it supports voice AND keyboard, then I think 360's probably the best option, for me anyway. Plus I assume there will be a number of live achievements in the game, which could be kinda cool.

Kjeldor
Oct 11, 2006, 10:03 AM
Eh i mainly do solo work unless with a couple friends i just need a 7 ft and 50 ft ethernet cable and a switch to put on my computer and im all set for PSU and whens the Guardian Licence gonna be available?

ABDUR101
Oct 11, 2006, 10:35 AM
Just remember Wraith, just because you don't like voice chat doesn't mean everyone else won't be gabbing and all that. You might be the only one typing on the 360, ya know? At that rate you might as well get a headset and be able to talk as well, that way you won't cause disruptions while you try to type, which could lead to team losses, etc.

WraithAkaMrak
Oct 11, 2006, 12:01 PM
While I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one, I'm sure keyboard-only players will be in the minority (on 360). But I'd hope there are sufficient chat shortcuts that can be used quickly during battle, if needed. And I may not use keyboard 100% of the time, guess I'll see how it goes. But I'm sure even people who use voice chat may want to have a keyboard available once in a while, i.e. playing late at night.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WraithAkaMrak on 2006-10-11 10:01 ]</font>

Zarbolord
Oct 11, 2006, 12:02 PM
Play PC. I'm on PC, you might meet me at some point http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

John_117
Oct 11, 2006, 12:55 PM
On 2006-10-10 19:05, WraithAkaMrak wrote:
May not be able to take screenshots. Won't be able to play with PS2 and PC players.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WraithAkaMrak on 2006-10-10 19:09 ]</font>

That right there,my friend,is why you shouldnt buy the 360 ver.I like being able to play with pc/ps2 ppl...oh and the 360 controller works great with psobb im sure it will work with psu.You may want to consider getting one if you go pc.I really reminds me of old PSO DC days *_* "sniff sniff" memories...

John_117
Oct 11, 2006, 01:02 PM
On 2006-10-11 07:05, Wild_Coyote wrote:
Everyone on the PC servers will be using text to chat. On the other hand you can expect most players on the 360 to be relying on voice chat. I expect many player on the 360 servers, including myself, won't even have keyboards plugged in.

I would much rather type than hear some of the people Ive met on PSO -_-*
Its just like Halo,theres always a bad seed...and if you thought those picture chats were annoying when ppl kept spamming em in the lobbys or games imagine their voices,lol...yeah Ive heard mature kids and really idiotic people who are older than me.Sometimes...you just cant win..

Mazoku
Oct 11, 2006, 01:05 PM
Just so you're aware, the PC version does not support any form of widescreen whatsoever.

Also, the Japanese PSU 360 site says that using a keyboard is possible.

Ezekiel06
Oct 11, 2006, 01:10 PM
Well, for me personally...my PC is not that great for games, the PS2 controller makes my hands hurt after playing for a while (don't know why), and I have perfectly working Xbox360 on a 52" widescreen HD TV...So I'll be picking up the 360 version.

But in the reality of it, it all depends on what platform you're comfortable with. If you want to get the 360 version, and have the money to get a 360, I'd get a 360. Not only because of Hi-res graphics, but M$ has some great games coming out this winter.

(M$ paid me to say this http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ) Just kidding.

ONE

WraithAkaMrak
Oct 11, 2006, 01:18 PM
On 2006-10-11 11:05, Mazoku wrote:
Just so you're aware, the PC version does not support any form of widescreen whatsoever.

Also, the Japanese PSU 360 site says that using a keyboard is possible.
Yeah, those are two of the things that are pushing me in the direction of the 360 version.

WraithAkaMrak
Oct 11, 2006, 07:45 PM
Well, ordered a 360; should hopefully have it by the time the Beta's out.

Thanks for everyone's info & input.

Phalynx
Oct 11, 2006, 07:53 PM
Welcome to the 360 crew! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

BluCast20xx
Oct 11, 2006, 08:16 PM
i was planning to get it for PC, since its like a year old currently, i mean my PC was able to run FFXI fine, until i went into heavily populated areas such as Auction houses and such, then it would lag a bit.

i already have a 360, and from looking at the players from the 360 thread, it wont be too much of a problem finding people to play with.

and i can always trade it to get the PC version at a cheaper price, but it looks like many 360 players will be getting into the game.

Phalynx
Oct 11, 2006, 08:30 PM
I doubt you could trade it in, you couldnt trade in the other versions.

Merumeru
Oct 11, 2006, 08:38 PM
XD ive pretty much decided to go with the 360 route since i wont be getting a new PC anytime soon and PS2 is gunna be laggy, so itll be worth it~

sankyu thread :3

Musashy
Oct 11, 2006, 08:48 PM
Well the PC and Xbox360 versions will have more updates and better chances of later additions than the ps2 version. Me personally i would go with the PC version because I have an alienware that more than doubles the system requirements for the game.

Ezekiel06
Oct 12, 2006, 08:04 PM
On 2006-10-11 18:48, Musashy wrote:
I have an alienware that more than doubles the system requirements for the game.

Lucky http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Frog
Oct 12, 2006, 10:34 PM
If you have an Xbox 360, I'd go with that version. It runs at 60fps, displays in 720p, and supports voicechat!

Otherwise I would go with PS2. Why? I despise playing Phantasy Star with keyboard/mouse. I tried playing Blue Burst on PC for a few weeks and hated it. And yea, I tried a gamepad but it was not the same. The gamepad on PC cannot be configured to do all the commands like the console versions.

Soniku17
Oct 13, 2006, 02:32 AM
On 2006-10-11 18:48, Musashy wrote:
Well the PC and Xbox360 versions will have more updates and better chances of later additions than the ps2 version.

The only thing that bothers me about the PC version is that it's going to interface with the PS2 version, which I assume would require all updates to be synchronized on each platform, unless things can be handled the way they are in MMO's when some people don't have an expansion pack (however that works)... Talk about a run-on sentence.

But really, even though PSU isn't as complex as some MMORPGs such as WoW, I'd still expect the updates to be pretty large... Too large to fit on to a PS2 memory card, even though they could probably force it to fit somehow, it'll be too much trouble.

I'm still going to get the PC version since I don't own an Xbox360 yet, and the PS2 version is an inferior port (yes, I know, the PC and 360 versions are ports of the PS2 version, hence certain builtin limitations, IE: multiplatform Sonic games).

Maybe if the PC users are lucky, support for the PS2 side of things will be dropped, or they'll require a hard drive... And a model 1 PS2... We might've just been best off without having the game be cross-platform at all.

Sorry about the organization of this post, it's 3:31 AM, and I can hardly keep my eyes open, so I'm just throwing out random thoughts and ideas.

Itsuki
Oct 13, 2006, 03:38 AM
I don't see why so many people are even debating "get the PC version". If you have your PS2 set to be able to play, then theres almost no reason that you would possibly want to get the PC version.

Why? Because you can simple download the PC version of the client from sega if they host it like they did for the japanese version. Or you can install from a friend's PC version dvd or download a rip of the dvd from online and install from that. You can use your ps2 account on the PC version. So by buying it for PS2, you can play on both PS2 and PC.

bleyzwun
Oct 13, 2006, 04:55 AM
itsuki has a good point lol

Velguarder
Oct 13, 2006, 09:53 AM
One word for PS2 considerers: Slowdown. The game slows down when too much is going on. A decent PC and definitely Xbox360, however, will NOT slowdown. Get the PS2 version... if you wanna be mr./ms. slowpoke :3

This topic contains a vid of said slowdown.
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=121193&forum=20&12

LordGhaleon
Oct 17, 2006, 10:25 AM
I have a situation like WraithAkaMrak's. I have a PS2 but no XBox 360. My PC specs aren't spectacular:

Pentium 4 2.00 GHz
512 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 - my major area of concern

I not actively looking to upgrade my pc because of the Wii coming out in November. I have slightly thought of getting a laptop for my semester abroad in the spring but am not knowledgable on if I can even play PSU abroad. I was able to play WoW when I played it for a couple of months. It wasn't bad, but I had some lag. What do people here suggest? PS2 or can my PC handle it w/o lagging every 5 seconds?

Velocity_7
Oct 17, 2006, 10:26 AM
If you are going to get the PC version, my suggestion is to get the PS2 version instead. You can then use your Game Key to download the PC version off the official SEGA website.

That is, if SEGA offers it on the US site like they do for the JP site.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Velocity_7 on 2006-10-17 08:28 ]</font>

Aberu
Oct 17, 2006, 10:30 AM
http://users.adelphia.net/~aberu/images/japaneseoptions.jpg

Nope no real widescreen. Hopefully they will patch it in later.

LordGhaleon
Oct 17, 2006, 10:31 AM
So you can d/l PSU if you buy it for PS2? That's interesting. I assume that has something to do with the same server. I haven't read too much into PSU so I'm not surprised I don't know about that. That's really great news if it's true. Thanks ^_^

eselv73
Oct 17, 2006, 10:56 AM
Get it for PC with an Xbox 360 controller.

LordGhaleon
Oct 17, 2006, 11:20 AM
Will NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 for a video card actually run it w/o crapping out though?