PDA

View Full Version : Antialiasing and Resolutions - PC version

Sakura123
Oct 10, 2006, 09:23 PM
Hello everyone.

For those who have the Japanese PC version. I have been wondering if the game supports Antialiasing (forcing it via graphic card control panel) and high resolutions...

I have been playing around with the character creation and I was unable to make the game accept the Antialiasing setting ><.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

PrinceBrightstar
Oct 10, 2006, 09:26 PM
Forcing it believe it or not apparently doesn't work.

Parn
Oct 10, 2006, 09:31 PM
dj_donkey posted a zoomed up screenshot of the game with anti-aliasing on, but it's so ridiculously subtle that it's pointless to have it on.

Anisotropic filtering on the other hand, works exceptionally well. The ground textures in the game shimmer like crazy, like every PS2 game in existance when you have it off, but turning it on cleans it up based on the level you set it at. I have mine at 16x @ 1280x1024, and it's extremely smooth and beautiful. Better have a card that can handle it though, and don't count on running 60 FPS with it on either.

Sakura123
Oct 10, 2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the fast replies.

Does the game supports higher resolution than 1280x1024? My lappy has a native resolution of 1920x1200 and I would love to play in that res (yes my card can handle it, nvidia 7800) .. with that res I wont even need AA..

kyori
Oct 10, 2006, 09:51 PM
AS will only work on Nvidia cards unfortunately, forcing it on a Radeon does nothing. And forcing AA on Radeon makes it even worse.

watashiwa
Oct 10, 2006, 09:55 PM
On 2006-10-10 19:51, kyori wrote:
AS will only work on Nvidia cards unfortunately,

You're wrong there..

I'm running a Radeon X850XTPE...

Here's PSU without AF:

http://www.pioneer2.net/psu_no_as.png

Here's PSU with 16x AF:

http://www.pioneer2.net/psu_16_as.png

Big difference.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2006-10-10 20:11 ]</font>

Phalynx
Oct 10, 2006, 09:58 PM
I dont see a difference, is it that subtle? If so its not a big deal.

watashiwa
Oct 10, 2006, 09:59 PM
If you're talking about AF, all you need to do is look at the ground in my pictures.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2006-10-10 20:10 ]</font>

Mag_Launcher
Oct 10, 2006, 10:09 PM
Just for the record, we refer to Anisotropic Filtering as "AF".

watashiwa
Oct 10, 2006, 10:10 PM
True, true, made that post fast. EDITED

Parn
Oct 10, 2006, 10:14 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/Anisotropic_compare.png
This is a basic example of what anisotropic filtering does, image taken from Wikipedia... left side is with no filtering, right is with anisotropic filtering on. Note that the left side has already had a trilinear mipmapping filter applied which smooths out distant textures, a filter that Phantasy Star Universe does NOT use by default which is why the ground textures shimmer so much.

If you ran a side by side comparison of Phantasy Star Universe in action, you'd notice the ground shimmering like crazy as you move around on the screen with Anisotropic Filtering off, and the ground smoothly scrolling with almost no shimmering on the screen with 16x Anisotropic Filtering. But as I said before, you take a performance hit running 16x unless you have a good video card.

Mag_Launcher
Oct 10, 2006, 10:22 PM
Not sure WHY forcing the AA doesn't work, though... guess we have to wait for a driver update or a patch. (It could already be fixed, but I don't have a sega link login, so patching is not in my best interest.)

foamcup
Oct 10, 2006, 11:26 PM
On 2006-10-10 20:22, Mag_Launcher wrote:
Not sure WHY forcing the AA doesn't work, though... guess we have to wait for a driver update or a patch. (It could already be fixed, but I don't have a sega link login, so patching is not in my best interest.)

Yes, hopefully Sega will give us a patch for AA.

wildstar
Oct 11, 2006, 09:32 AM
Parn and watishiwa: thanks for the explanation and photo's. That's good to know.

I'll definitely be turning up AF to 16x now that I've read this.

The one good thing that came of my time slaving away to Lineage II is I upgraded to a decent video card (forget exact name, it's an ATI with 256mb ram) and I upgraded by main memory to 1.5 GB. Hopefully I can max most settings and still get smooth fps.