PDA

View Full Version : Able to play on multiple boxes? Swap consoles?

WraithAkaMrak
Oct 11, 2006, 12:58 AM
Will you be able to take a copy of the game and play it on two different consoles? i.e. two Xbox 360s. (Not simultaneously, of course.)

If your original 360 (or PS2) bites the dust, will you still be able to play it on a new box?

If, heaven forbid, you get sick of the game, will you be able to sell it and someone can use it on their system, just have to get their own account?

I remember PSO v1 was locked down to the original console, was it not. I don't know if this still applies or not.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WraithAkaMrak on 2006-10-10 23:06 ]</font>

Merumeru
Oct 11, 2006, 01:03 AM
XD i was a bit curious too, as i might play on my brothers 360, and might possibly get my own if im addicted enough that he cant deal with me hogging his box

Zolpner
Oct 11, 2006, 01:37 AM
You'll be able to play it on different consoles, but you wont be able to "reset" the activation code, so if you sell the disc, doesn't mean they'll be able to start a GUARDIAN's Licence. Maybe they'll sell the activations seperatly after some time? but I wouldn't hang on it to happen.
Just login to your gamertag from whichever x360 you're using, I'd assume. The GUARDIAN's Licence should travel with your tag, not with your box.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zolpner on 2006-10-10 23:37 ]</font>

Souppy
Oct 11, 2006, 01:42 AM
True... the Guardian's Licence is linked to a Gamertag for 360 players BUT I don't know if your characters will be transfered in PSU... I know that in PSO, you needed a memory card to switch your character to another xbox.

Or there is also the possibility of transferring your Hard Drive on another Xbox 360... that should be the best thing to do if you want to play... by doing that, you can play on any 360 you want.

Belts
Oct 11, 2006, 01:45 AM
Characters are server side, so you can play from any Xbox 360, or PS2/PC, if that's your choice.

I will be playing on both PS2 and PC.

WraithAkaMrak
Oct 11, 2006, 01:49 AM
On 2006-10-10 23:37, Zolpner wrote:
You'll be able to play it on different consoles, but you wont be able to "reset" the activation code, so if you sell the disc, doesn't mean they'll be able to start a GUARDIAN's Licence.
So in effect, the disc/code is locked to a single GUARDIAN account (and the box makes no difference)?

Chronosv2
Oct 11, 2006, 06:30 AM
On 2006-10-10 23:45, Belts wrote:
Characters are server side, so you can play from any Xbox 360, or PS2/PC, if that's your choice.

Not quite. The XBox version is tied to a GamerTag, not to a GUARDIAN Account--you can not transfer between the two. You can do this with the PS2 and PC versions, though.

Sorry X360 users--you're stuck on X360.

mogshaz
Oct 11, 2006, 06:39 AM
On 2006-10-11 04:30, Chronosv2 wrote:

On 2006-10-10 23:45, Belts wrote:

Not quite. The XBox version is tied to a GamerTag, not to a GUARDIAN Account--you can not transfer between the two. You can do this with the PS2 and PC versions, though.

Sorry X360 users--you're stuck on X360.

sure, except for the fact that the 360's HD is portable. just whip that thing out and carry it to whatever 360 you want to play on.

Zabot
Oct 11, 2006, 06:44 AM
ya but, with the PS3, when you buy a game, as soon as you place that game in your system, it writes an encryption to the disk, and that disk will only work on that system, you acnt trade it in, sell it, nothin, no memory card at all, all on your drive, so you get what you buy, and no one else can have any of your stuff, youll be stuck with games up your bum and wont be able to do anything about it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zabot on 2006-10-11 04:44 ]</font>

kassy
Oct 11, 2006, 06:50 AM
On 2006-10-11 04:44, Zabot wrote:
ya but, with the PS3, when you buy a game, as soon as you place that game in your system, it writes an encryption to the disk, and that disk will only work on that system, you acnt trade it in, sell it, nothin, no memory card at all, all on your drive, so you get what you buy, and no one else can have any of your stuff, youll be stuck with games up your bum and wont be able to do anything about it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zabot on 2006-10-11 04:44 ]</font>

Sony holds the patent for that technology, but they will not be using it for PS3 games.

Zabot
Oct 11, 2006, 06:53 AM
Not what i heard, and read in the sony game magazine, check some updates, i dont go to the site lol, but im pretty sure that it is true, once you place that game in your system, you play that game yourself forever

Veneratius
Oct 11, 2006, 09:12 AM
Zabot if that's true then how will rental companies rent out PS3 games? I really doubt that Sony would implement that as they would cause a big riot with Gamefly, blockbuster and companies of that sort. They would be losing out on a lot of money because they would never be able to rent out a game to more than one person.

WraithAkaMrak
Oct 11, 2006, 09:15 AM
Well, whatever the PS3 is doing, it isn't really relevant to PSU at this point.

And while Xbox 360 gamers are "stuck with" Xbox 360, they can still play from any Xbox 360 they want, according to other replies in this thread.

I knew that the 360 version was separate, and that you couldn't swap between 360 and PS2/PC. I just didn't want to find out that my copy of PSU would be locked to one individual console or PC.

Valkayree
Oct 11, 2006, 09:22 AM
On 2006-10-10 22:58, WraithAkaMrak wrote:
Will you be able to take a copy of the game and play it on two different consoles? i.e. two Xbox 360s. (Not simultaneously, of course.)

If your original 360 (or PS2) bites the dust, will you still be able to play it on a new box?

If, heaven forbid, you get sick of the game, will you be able to sell it and someone can use it on their system, just have to get their own account?

I remember PSO v1 was locked down to the original console, was it not. I don't know if this still applies or not.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WraithAkaMrak on 2006-10-10 23:06 ]</font>

Yes you will be able to do this.

A. Characters are stored server side. This means that if your box blows up in a tragic act of god, then your characters will still be on sega servers.

B. The game is stored on your hard disk. This means that a problem with the laser, or an internal part is no big deal, you can trade it in (hopefully you got that warranty receipt saved) and switch out the new hard drive for your old one.

But not to worry, I do know what you mean however, my cousin, after putting 2600+ hours into PSOX, saw the dreaded red solid light everytime he turned on the box, and sadly, his characters all vanished. My box wasn't looking too much better, it was probably 100 hours from blowing up, so out of respect for his loss we both retired. It won't be that way with PSU however, so we may all rejoice.

WraithAkaMrak
Oct 11, 2006, 09:38 AM
Stored on the hard drive, eh? So how does that work for PS2 players, and 360 players without a hard drive (if that's even possible)?

And if your 360 hard drive goes to heck, I assume you could always install it on a new 360 hard drive.

Pikku
Oct 11, 2006, 09:44 AM
Well I never ever ever ever rent games... if I want a game... Ill buy it. Case Closed.
So I dont care what happen to the PS3 (Itll stop this parasi....er... neighbor for asking me to borrow my games) :3

Jarel
Oct 11, 2006, 09:59 AM
Zabot if that's true then how will rental companies rent out PS3 games? I really doubt that Sony would implement that as they would cause a big riot with Gamefly, blockbuster and companies of that sort. They would be losing out on a lot of money because they would never be able to rent out a game to more than one person.

And according to Sony ( or pretty much any developer ) this is a bad thing??
The industry has been losing money to rentals. When you rent a game at blockbuster or any other rental place, the games developers see NONE of that money. Same goes for buying them used. Used game sells hurt the industry.
Sure it will hurt my pocket book, but it is possible that prices may lower due to the increase in sales, and the industry might have a better idea on what games to develop.

( They only make what they see sell. When you wait for a great game to be sold used, the industry just thinks that the game sucks.)

Valkayree
Oct 11, 2006, 12:07 PM
On 2006-10-11 07:38, WraithAkaMrak wrote:
Stored on the hard drive, eh? So how does that work for PS2 players, and 360 players without a hard drive (if that's even possible)?

And if your 360 hard drive goes to heck, I assume you could always install it on a new 360 hard drive.

Like FFXI on the 360 and the PS2, I don't think that you will be able to play PSU without a hard drive installed, since PSU requires at least 6 megs for the install (correct me if you know the exact amount, it may be 9, I'm not sure)

ProfessorZ
Oct 11, 2006, 12:12 PM
You can probably have 360 LAN parties. 4 tv's, 4 ethernet cables and a router

Chronosv2
Oct 11, 2006, 12:30 PM
On 2006-10-11 10:07, Valkayree wrote:

On 2006-10-11 07:38, WraithAkaMrak wrote:

Like FFXI on the 360 and the PS2, I don't think that you will be able to play PSU without a hard drive installed, since PSU requires at least 6 megs for the install (correct me if you know the exact amount, it may be 9, I'm not sure)

The PS2 version does not require the hard drive. All updates will be done using the memory card. Don't ask me how, but this is Sega's plan. As a matter of fact, it is advised to keep an empty memory card just for PSU.

Now then, when I said "stuck on X360" I did not mean that as anything derogatory. What I mean is there's no transferring between X360 and PC/PS2. PC and PS2 connect, X360 is standalone. What you do on one the other will never see.

Minswune
Oct 11, 2006, 12:46 PM
To the original poster; So long as you create your account using your own gamertag, you'll be able to swap boxes.

Blueblur
Oct 11, 2006, 05:59 PM
Yep, just recover your gamertag on a friend's Xbox and you should be fine. The only thing you'll be missing is your single player save file which will be saved in your 360's harddrive (unless you use a memory card). Online multiplayer character data will be saved on Sega's server so it can be recovered and used from presumably any 360.