PDA

View Full Version : PSU & FFXI - Different types of games.

AnamanaAU
Oct 11, 2006, 01:47 AM
What is with all these threads and posts comparing FFXI to PSU? They're both completely different types of games. One is a semi-turn based MMORPG and the other is a real time action network RPG.

Maybe it's because it's a japanese RPG of some form? Or is it because it's another console online RPG? It just stumps me as to why anyone would compare them.

mogshaz
Oct 11, 2006, 01:51 AM
Because alot of people on this forum have played both and thats the only game they can think of thats in any way like PSU. I personally think the PSO/PSU series is much more like Diablo or Baldurs gate when online.

Nani-chan
Oct 11, 2006, 02:19 AM
People want a reference point, unknown/new things can be scary.

Many times new players are put down, so it's quite scary to become a "newbie" all over again.

Hopefully, topics will become more relevant in November.

Fazeshot
Oct 11, 2006, 02:23 AM
what is it with all these pointless threads?

Souppy
Oct 11, 2006, 02:24 AM
Also, don't forget that 360 players only have 1 MMORPG game right now and it's FFXI... so it's normal that they only refer to that one.

Nani-chan
Oct 11, 2006, 02:26 AM
I do notice that allot of the topics talk about PSU at some point and then stop.
Would those warrant being transferred to Off-Topic or Dead Horse?

Maybe the solution is easy to solve.
Ask a Moderator to move non-Psu topics out of this forum?

AnamanaAU
Oct 11, 2006, 02:27 AM
On 2006-10-11 00:24, Souppy wrote:
Also, don't forget that 360 players only have 1 MMORPG game right now and it's FFXI... so it's normal that they only refer to that one.

Yeah, I guess so.

On 2006-10-11 00:23, Fazeshot wrote:

I dunno, but it's not as pointless as your input.

Kent
Oct 11, 2006, 03:04 AM
It's really kind of pointless, to try and compare games to each other in this sense, when they aren't of the same genre.

FFXI, is the same genre as things like World of Warcraft, EVE Online, and things like that. In basically all areas, you can interact with potentially hundreds, if not thousands, of people - These being MMORPGs.

Non-massively-multiplayer games, referred to as ORPGs usually (the word 'multiplayer' is left out, because it's considered part of a single term; 'massively-multiplayer'), don't have the 'massive' component of players playing the game's content, in the same area. By "playing the game's content," I mean gameplay that takes place outside of cities, or chat channels - where you're (in almost all cases) running around in a field, killing things, in your own, secluded instance, which other players have to specifically join, in order to interact with you. The number of simultaneous players in something like this, will almost never reach double-digits, save for a few, rare cases. This group entails games such as PSO, PSU, the Diablo series, and Guild Wars. Conversely, there are a multitude of offline multiplayer RPGs, that are handled in almost the same exact manner - they're basically the same game type, just not online (i.e. Gauntlet, Secret of Mana, etc.).

I ramble too much. My point is, there's a distinct difference here, between online RPGs that are MMO, and those that are not.

Soudegmksg
Oct 11, 2006, 03:25 AM
FFXI built up a tollerance for me personally.
I like games that are hard, a challenge.
Not something easy like world of warcraft.
I don't mind investing alot of time into a game, i'm hoping this is how PSU will be.

AnamanaAU
Oct 11, 2006, 03:40 AM
HAY GUYS!! SO HOW IS PSU COMPARED TO HALO 2?

On 2006-10-11 01:04, Kent wrote:
It's really kind of pointless, to try and compare games to each other in this sense, when they aren't of the same genre.

FFXI, is the same genre as things like World of Warcraft, EVE Online, and things like that. In basically all areas, you can interact with potentially hundreds, if not thousands, of people - These being MMORPGs.

Non-massively-multiplayer games, referred to as ORPGs usually (the word 'multiplayer' is left out, because it's considered part of a single term; 'massively-multiplayer'), don't have the 'massive' component of players playing the game's content, in the same area. By "playing the game's content," I mean gameplay that takes place outside of cities, or chat channels - where you're (in almost all cases) running around in a field, killing things, in your own, secluded instance, which other players have to specifically join, in order to interact with you. The number of simultaneous players in something like this, will almost never reach double-digits, save for a few, rare cases. This group entails games such as PSO, PSU, the Diablo series, and Guild Wars. Conversely, there are a multitude of offline multiplayer RPGs, that are handled in almost the same exact manner - they're basically the same game type, just not online (i.e. Gauntlet, Secret of Mana, etc.).

I ramble too much. My point is, there's a distinct difference here, between online RPGs that are MMO, and those that are not.

Quoted for truth.

Ensong
Oct 11, 2006, 04:10 AM
On 2006-10-11 01:25, Soudegmksg wrote:
I don't mind investing alot of time into a game, i'm hoping this is how PSU will be.

Definately, I like hard games / Games are are purposefully time sinks <,< I like the punishment.

Cross
Oct 11, 2006, 08:00 AM
On 2006-10-11 02:10, Ensong wrote:
Definately, I like hard games / Games are are purposefully time sinks <,< I like the punishment.

Regardless of what children's television may have taught you about individuality, this does make you a bad person.

Edit: For the record, 'hard' is not equivalent to 'tedious'. FFXI is easy as shit - it just requires you to do the same few, easy actions over and over for hundreds of hours with no variation.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cross on 2006-10-11 06:02 ]</font>

ZincChill
Oct 11, 2006, 08:09 AM
And the same goes for WoW. I played a caster, tank, and damage dealer through BWL and got boring the second I hit level cap.

Pikku
Oct 11, 2006, 08:13 AM
I say PSU is a mixture of PSO and FFXI.
The PSO Vets here that played FFXI will understand what I mean (I think).

Pikku
Oct 11, 2006, 08:29 AM

FFXI Made me more annoyed with Squaresoft/Enix...
This game isn't challenging, for a solo player, its down right IMPOSSIBLE.
I of course see you have played FFXI so let's see... Was it a challenge when you grouped up a bunch of people doing a mission with up to 6 or 18 players and winning? I call that easy. BUT doing that with one person would be the challenge except YOU CANT!
Also... FFXI is so hard that they even made RMT (Real Money Traders to those who dont know) And people are actually stupid enough to buy them ($1,000,000 game money for like a real $20) and making people selling accounts for over $100 and $200 and so on. And also making Third Party players that sometimes cant get caught that make the legit players life a living hell.
Even though PSO was somewhat like this and went out of control, FFXI/SE cant get every single one of these players and sometimes cant get a specific one that just makes everyone lives hard.
PSO was a challenge in its own and I liked this kind of challenge and I know PSU will be the same way.
Like trying to defeat TTF Ultimate on PSO with no cheats hacked mag or hacked weapon soloing WITHOUT dying. I think I did that once but only once (Sinow Room is the only room that ever got me killed other than Falz). Or searching for a rare item and finally finding it (On FFXI the world is shared with everyone... not just you or 6 people... meaning that there will be other players... RMTs... and whoever else maybe camping that one monster for either profit when you might want the weapon to use for your own...). on PSO/PSU youll have your own room to search all you want, still hard to obtain, but wont have the bad players get in your way.
Also, PSU dont require you to waste your life, to those who have one lol :3, sitting at a screen for almost forever to obtain every job at level 75 and getting all the equipment you would like/need.
Also... on PSO Im sure no one would care what item/rare/weapon/clothes you would wear while fighting or playing with them... try that on FFXI...
If you STILL dont get my point then just forget it.
Stick to FFXI if you like that kind of "thing" (crap).

Jozon
Oct 11, 2006, 08:39 AM
On 2006-10-11 06:29, Pikku wrote:

I of course see you have played FFXI so let's see... Was it a challenge when you grouped up a bunch of people doing a mission with up to 6 or 18 players and winning? I call that easy. BUT doing that with one person would be the challenge except YOU CANT!
Also... FFXI is so hard that they even made RMT (Real Money Traders to those who dont know) And people are actually stupid enough to buy them ($1,000,000 game money for like a real $20) and making people selling accounts for over $100 and $200 and so on. And also making Third Party players that sometimes cant get caught that make the legit players life a living hell.
Even though PSO was somewhat like this and went out of control, FFXI/SE cant get every single one of these players and sometimes cant get a specific one that just makes everyone lives hard.
PSO was a challenge in its own and I liked this kind of challenge and I know PSU will be the same way.
Like trying to defeat TTF Ultimate on PSO with no cheats hacked mag or hacked weapon soloing WITHOUT dying. I think I did that once but only once (Sinow Room is the only room that ever got me killed other than Falz). Or searching for a rare item and finally finding it (On FFXI the world is shared with everyone... not just you or 6 people... meaning that there will be other players... RMTs... and whoever else maybe camping that one monster for either profit when you might want the weapon to use for your own...). on PSO/PSU youll have your own room to search all you want, still hard to obtain, but wont have the bad players get in your way.
Also, PSU dont require you to waste your life, to those who have one lol :3, sitting at a screen for almost forever to obtain every job at level 75 and getting all the equipment you would like/need.
Also... on PSO Im sure no one would care what item/rare/weapon/clothes you would wear while fighting or playing with them... try that on FFXI...
Stick to FFXI if you like that kind of "thing" (crap).

*starts the slow clap*

Rejor11
Oct 11, 2006, 08:48 AM
If anything, from what I've read and heard about PSU, it seems more related to the .hack// series, if The World was actually an online game... minus the virtual reality stuff of course.

Jozon
Oct 11, 2006, 09:01 AM
and strangely enough they aren't compared much, even though they come out on the same day(or around each other)

Senel
Oct 11, 2006, 09:55 AM
I actually just quit FF11 last weekend cause PSU was coming out this month. FF11 is a fantastic game but i just played it to damn much (75war~71nin) PSU is gonna be way better any way

Mattlock
Oct 11, 2006, 10:13 AM
On 2006-10-11 07:55, Senel wrote:
I actually just quit FF11 last weekend cause PSU was coming out this month. FF11 is a fantastic game but i just played it to damn much (75war~71nin) PSU is gonna be way better any way

I couldnt agree with you more XD the game took to much time to do anything. Finding a party took as much time as you wanted to be playing for the day!(75sam~72mnk)

Ensong
Oct 11, 2006, 10:30 AM
On 2006-10-11 06:13, Pikku wrote:

Yeah, "My Room" And Being able to change Jobs/Class is definately a nod to FFXI.

phunk
Oct 11, 2006, 10:34 AM
On 2006-10-11 00:23, Fazeshot wrote:

^

Pikku
Oct 11, 2006, 10:34 AM
I started FFXI May 19th 2006 so I didnt do as much as you guys did (Before that of course I was still on PSO lol).
WHM56 WAR40 MNK38 BLM29 THF25 RDM17 SAM12 NIN12 DRG11 SMN11 COR10 PLD10 DRK8 PUP8 BST6 BLU5 RNG4 BRD3
(Woah... got them all without looking at FFXI lol)

Magician
Oct 11, 2006, 10:36 AM
Though their gameplay is slightlty different their ideas are very similar.

In both your main goal, online, is to dungeon crawl/level grind to gain money to improve your characters equipment so that you can crawl/grind further. The online communities is were they differ most. I hear stories of it being difficult to party up in FFXI if you're not a specific class, while in PSU class doesn't determine which parties you can and cannot join.

Mattlock
Oct 11, 2006, 10:36 AM
On 2006-10-11 08:34, Pikku wrote:

WITCH!

Pikku
Oct 11, 2006, 10:39 AM
On 2006-10-11 08:30, Ensong wrote:

On 2006-10-11 06:13, Pikku wrote:

Yeah, "My Room" And Being able to change Jobs/Class is definately a nod to FFXI.

Dont forget subjobs now (Which Ill be Hunter/Force... then Ranger/Hunter)
6 person parties now (Not 4 like in PSO) Towns, changing clothes... etc etc etc.

Pikku
Oct 11, 2006, 10:41 AM
On 2006-10-11 08:36, Mattlock wrote:

On 2006-10-11 08:34, Pikku wrote:

WITCH!

Lol not my fault.. its in my Bazaar Comment and everyone always ask me whats my job levels and I always had to go into my Bazaar and type out the while thing for them (Guess I got used to it)

OgSoulja
Oct 11, 2006, 10:42 AM
On 2006-10-10 23:47, JubeiSaotome wrote:
What is with all these threads and posts comparing FFXI to PSU? They're both completely different types of games. One is a semi-turn based MMORPG and the other is a real time action network RPG.

Maybe it's because it's a japanese RPG of some form? Or is it because it's another console online RPG? It just stumps me as to why anyone would compare them.

People compare em to say what YOU think is better in the "fun factor" because they both are games.They're different in many ways but they have they're share of comparison. thats my two cents though.

kassy
Oct 11, 2006, 11:18 AM
On 2006-10-10 23:47, JubeiSaotome wrote:
What is with all these threads and posts comparing FFXI to PSU? They're both completely different types of games.

...because 1337ists like to discuss how apples are sooo much better than oranges.

Shadow_Wing
Oct 11, 2006, 12:29 PM
I think Oranges are better than apples... actually screw apples and oranges and go strait for pineapples!

btw I've played FFXI since May 2004, FFXI is definately not a challenge, and it gets really boring once u've done everything the game has to offer. Did I mention that the high level life is full of drama and whiney little children that really can't seperate FFXI from real life >>;

adamgnome104
Oct 11, 2006, 12:40 PM
They're just topics on the internet, I don't feel strongly about them one way or the other or enough to actually care about it, haha.

lolichan
Oct 11, 2006, 12:42 PM
this thread is full of noninformation and run-on sentences.

by the power of all that is loli, i declare suckthread.

Rejor11
Oct 11, 2006, 06:43 PM
*bows to the power of the loli*

Kismet
Oct 11, 2006, 06:58 PM
FFXI is kind of like a click-and-hope-ya-win MMORPG. And SE PURPOSELY mad the game uber hard, so that it takes you forever to eget something done. (That's how they get your money!)

But I guess people like to compare the two because FFXI is like the world's second most popular MMORPG. (With either Ragnarok or WoW being first.) I think PSU is pretty good competition for one of the top slots.

So you can't really blame people for raving. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif (Plus, a lot more people hated FFXI than I thought... That's good, because for a minute I was afraid that I was all alone. XD)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kismet on 2006-10-11 17:01 ]</font>

physic
Oct 11, 2006, 09:40 PM
Psu isnt really like FF, and no FF isnt really easy, sure it might be easy because you had a faq, or someone telling you what to do the whole time, but if no one told anyone what to do its not so easy. whenever they make a new area zone whatever than requires a dif strat, people fail and bitch how hard it is. As far as missions, people get level 75s to help em through it. You can fight tiamat with like 100 people for an hour and lose if ya dont do it right. (people did this and lost)
It is definately a party game, if ya like to solo and control a varying party yourself this isnt for you.
PSU is totally different its simple in strategy, dont come to psu expecting great dificulty or great need for leetness, but expect a more live interface, the ability to work on your own, action, the main similarity is online game. and rpgish character building elements
the execution who it appeals to the feel of the game totally different.

CrazySwayzee
Oct 11, 2006, 09:56 PM
PSU, is action-oriented and fast-paced where as FFXI is a bit more like a test-top rpg.....it's all about strategy, equipment, leveling and stuff.

in other words, in PSU you get to just kill stuff

in FFXI you get to kill stuff with a +5 Bewitching Sword of the Powerful with a +10 bonus against the Undead using lots of strangely names spell and abilitys at your disposal.

PSO and FFXI are both equally cool in their own degree of awesomeness.

it's like comparing the Internet and TV, they are both entertaining and good in their own way.

Zelendria_Ru
Oct 11, 2006, 10:41 PM
I think you are a little biased against FFXI. >.>

It wasn't intended to be "solo". It was designed to get 3-64 people together and defeat an objective as a team.

Admittedly for players below level 30 (at which point you can unlock the Advanced Job classes) you are stuck in a party from level 10-30 for experience points etc...

However there are several jobs that are specically designed for solo play. Beastmasters are #1...they can easily solo because they can charm monsters in the world. Summoners can also solo, but it takes a long time...for example my friend (level 75 SMN)soloed his Artifact Armor all by himself. (and some of his BLM af later on. Dragoons with white mage sub can solo really well too. Even high level Redmages can solo amazingly well, they are even able to solo some missions intended for groups of 6 by kiting the mob with gravity. Actually, Ninjas can solo too! (I'm probably forgetting some that can, but the above examples are for classes actually able to experience by themselves for decent gain.)

Missions were really designed to be group oriented, and I can't fault them for it...it was designed to be a game where you have to work together to win, not unlike PSO at all.

For the record SE has almost entirely destroyed the RMT community across all servers...in fact the game economy is very balanced now...even the most elite gear drops in price given time.

Making gil is NOT hard in FFXI. Lazy people bought gil...this made a market for it and companies in China (and other places) made a business out of it...because it is a market economy this caused prices to spiral out of control. Pretty soon some of the very good gear in the game went out of the average player's price range...forcing new people to buy gil to afford stuff...however when SE started banning people for life for selling and buying gil this really started to decline.

...sitting at a screen for almost forever to obtain every job at level 75 and getting all the equipment you would like/need.

No one I know has all 75s...most normal people have at most 3 75 jobs with various level 37 subjobs. There were a few people that had 7 75s, and SE make a special item for those dedicated (and slightly insane) folks.

I disagree with this statement...if that was true then the duping/hacking would not have been so insane on GC PSO...damn near all of the hunters you'd see had a 5x 100% BKB etc. As a 100% legit hunewearl I was contantly faced with other people using these weapons...its kinda obvious when they would hit for 4k damage each swing. ><

FFXI is a game where how well you play is as important as your gear. (this is a Paladin's perspective however, Damage dealing classes have a slightly harder time with this.)

I really hope that Sega understands this and makes changes that make it less of a DPS reliant game...team play and communication/coordination was one of the parts of FFXI that to this day makes it the #1 RPG I've ever played.

Stick to FFXI if you like that kind of "thing"
(crap).

Not everyone is going to like a game, but obviously you have something against FFXI and that's fine...that said I can't help but step in when someone overstates their opinion as fact.

Blackwaltz-R
Oct 11, 2006, 11:36 PM
alot of you have issues, although it doesn;t help that their are those who don't know how to ask or state exactly what they mean. The OP obviously wanted to know what to expect, maybe the OP can't whether to get either FFXI or PSU and wants some advice? Maybe? Every time a thread liek this gets started some froot-cake comes out of nowhere with the whole "apples and oranges" bullshit, well how about explaining what the apple has to offer and what the orange has to offer so the OP can determine which of these TWO DIFFERENT THINGS HAS A GREATER APPEAL TO HIM.

wraith5k
Oct 12, 2006, 12:06 AM
You are all fucking wrong. Both games have elves. humans. Bigass swords, and a lot of fucking people running around talking.

Same game.

Openget
Oct 12, 2006, 12:09 AM
Lol, have you played a FF game? How many times does the protagonist go up against a boss and win?

Fazeshot
Oct 12, 2006, 02:26 AM
Guys. FFXI is a challenge.. go take down Jormungand or Vrtra or Tiamat or better yet jailer of love.. then say its not a challenge.. tehre was maybe 1-2 linkshells per server that could kill those things.....

I actually have been done with ffxi for a long time i sold my 75 paladin for around 400$ so im not some ffxi fanboy defending it.. but it did have its challenges and honestly.. is more challenging than PSU sorry to admit it ..

Ceravic
Oct 12, 2006, 02:31 AM
Jormungand and Tiamat aren't hard lol. They are: Spam SMN Blood Pacts(Predator Claws to be more exact), stun -ga spells, have an add alliance to take care of them.

Vrtra is basically the same thing except BLM's are utilized to kill his spawns, and SMN's have to be fast with the Blood pacts(P. Claws) during the period you stop kiting him. You also have an alliance to kill spawns in the room.

JoL is a bit tougher, but once you get past his regen, he's not that much harder either. If fucking RMT can kill him, he can't be that hard.

Even big bad Cerberus is just stunning his Gates of Hades spam during his last 25% and you = win.

Nothing in FFXI with the right setup and competent players is hard.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ceravic on 2006-10-12 00:32 ]</font>

crazyrobot
Oct 12, 2006, 02:36 AM
awww lol challenging or not, in FFXI, fighting a monsters like Jormungand or Vrtra or Tiamat or jailer of love for 1-2 hours is not very fun.It's a head ache x.x

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: crazyrobot on 2006-10-12 00:37 ]</font>

Ceravic
Oct 12, 2006, 02:36 AM
No its not. Especially as THF when you're add party only until the last 1% of the fight.

Jozon
Oct 12, 2006, 02:39 AM
I think if your from FFXI and your here, FFXI ftl

crazyrobot
Oct 12, 2006, 02:39 AM
awww lol yes for the most part( if your a thf) playing FFXI you just wait around doing nothing too.

Ceravic
Oct 12, 2006, 02:40 AM
No one is saying FFXI ftw? I'm actually speaking out against it. I quit FFXI actually. I just saw a topic with information pertaining to something I knew about and added my two cents to it.

Ninja Edit:

Not always JUST sitting around. Farming and soloing is fun, and we're great in a pinch. I tanked the last part of my Apocalypse Nigh fight because our PLD got one shotted by Light Blade.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ceravic on 2006-10-12 00:41 ]</font>

crazyrobot
Oct 12, 2006, 02:41 AM
On 2006-10-12 00:40, Ceravic wrote:
No one is saying FFXI ftw? I'm actually speaking out against it. I quit FFXI actually. I just saw a topic with information pertaining to something I knew about and added my two cents to it.

welcome to the club n_~

Ceravic
Oct 12, 2006, 02:42 AM
On 2006-10-12 00:41, crazyrobot wrote:
welcome to the club n_~

Do we get t-shirts?

crazyrobot
Oct 12, 2006, 02:48 AM
On 2006-10-12 00:42, Ceravic wrote:

On 2006-10-12 00:41, crazyrobot wrote:
welcome to the club n_~

Do we get t-shirts?

awww lol no but for your intrest here are all the other topics about FFXI on a PSU forum. lol

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=120711&forum=20&max_posts=86

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=120959&forum=20&max_posts=41

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: crazyrobot on 2006-10-12 00:59 ]</font>

Ceravic
Oct 12, 2006, 02:49 AM
No no, dammit, I don't want to be more of "that person" that talks about the other game. I just don't have much else to compare anything else to!

crazyrobot
Oct 12, 2006, 02:57 AM
On 2006-10-12 00:49, Ceravic wrote:
No no, dammit, I don't want to be more of "that person" that talks about the other game. I just don't have much else to compare anything else to!

lol silly i don't think you have to worry about most of this forum is kinda random topics about PSU. Mainly because the US release is not out yet. I am sure once the game is released on the 24th this forum will mainly be more focused and more informative.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: crazyrobot on 2006-10-12 00:57 ]</font>

Ceravic
Oct 12, 2006, 02:58 AM
Yeah, true. God, I wish it would hurry up and come!

physic
Oct 12, 2006, 06:24 AM
im guessing they will expand the psu forum with specific topics, and seperate the specific stuff from the random talk about psu.

Cross
Oct 12, 2006, 07:56 AM
On 2006-10-11 20:41, Zelendria_Ru wrote:
FFXI is a game where how well you play is as important as your gear. (this is a Paladin's perspective however, Damage dealing classes have a slightly harder time with this.)

Ahahahahahahahahahah, bullshit. If you're smart enough to breathe without having to think about it, you're good enough to be the absolute best that you possibly can be in FFXI. The combat engine is abolutely devoid of any chance to use personal skill.

The only reason people think FFXI requires any skill at all is that it has the most worthless, stupid playerbase in the world, and most of the players are so bad that being smart enough to hit one button every 15 seconds puts you in the above-average category.

AnamanaAU
Oct 12, 2006, 08:25 AM
On 2006-10-12 05:56, Cross wrote:

On 2006-10-11 20:41, Zelendria_Ru wrote:

Ahahahahahahahahahah, bullshit. If you're smart enough to breathe without having to think about it, you're good enough to be the absolute best that you possibly can be in FFXI. The combat engine is abolutely devoid of any chance to use personal skill.

The only reason people think FFXI requires any skill at all is that it has the most worthless, stupid playerbase in the world, and most of the players are so bad that being smart enough to hit one button every 15 seconds puts you in the above-average category.

Nice troll, pity you didn't brush on the surface on FFXI's gameplay.

XredX
Oct 12, 2006, 10:24 AM
FFXI was fun but only liked that game because of the friends made in it i hated it all the Dam farming and every month a armor doubles in cash -.- just hope pso isnt hard to get $$ anywho if psu is like the old PSO should be fun

Pikku
Oct 12, 2006, 10:40 AM
Meh I'm getting on FFXI now to say my goodbyes. See you all later.

Shadow_Wing
Oct 12, 2006, 11:28 AM
Guys. FFXI is a challenge.. go take down Jormungand or Vrtra or Tiamat or better yet jailer of love.. then say its not a challenge.. tehre was maybe 1-2 linkshells per server that could kill those things.....

Nope still not an uber challenge, my credentials are more than amazing when it comes to FFXI. On my server I took part in making the stratagies to beat those HNMs. Only the top teir Sea gods have givin me trouble, but even then it still doesn't mean the game is a challenge (also I was on the verge of quiting the game officially, but then just quit HNM life cause it was gay). 95% of the game is easy, and I do include 2 of the 3 wyrms in this, and that 5% challenge isn't going to make the entire game challenging.

I'm not going to say it's easier or as easy as PSU, or any spawn of PSO, but it's definately not a challenge.

Ceravic
Oct 12, 2006, 11:29 AM
On 2006-10-12 05:56, Cross wrote:
[quote]

Devoid of any chance to use personal skill? Did you get anywhere outside the Dunes you retard? Stop trying to speak on something you know nothing about. Hitting one button every 15 seconds? Good job sounding COMPLETELY ignorant trying to make a point. The only reason you say this is because FFXI as a whole was too hard for you, and I'm sure you got phased out by the jungles lol.

HiKeRI
Oct 12, 2006, 11:48 AM
The jungles were fun rofl, was the place i actually laught at for hr's straight xD "Wan/whm tanker yells TRAIN! and everyone stands in front of the zone and bang! Party's near the zone = dead main party that trained = dead partys that entered = dead and ofcourse random people that came in and out = dead! =D

HiKeRI
Oct 12, 2006, 11:49 AM
I almost forgot... gimped lv45 whm trying to raise = dead, ok im done lol

FrogKicker
Oct 12, 2006, 11:53 AM
I hate MMOs but I love PSO/U, therefore, PSU != MMO.

Cross
Oct 12, 2006, 12:36 PM
On 2006-10-12 09:29, Ceravic wrote:
Devoid of any chance to use personal skill? Did you get anywhere outside the Dunes you retard? Stop trying to speak on something you know nothing about. Hitting one button every 15 seconds? Good job sounding COMPLETELY ignorant trying to make a point. The only reason you say this is because FFXI as a whole was too hard for you, and I'm sure you got phased out by the jungles lol.

Yes I did, and no, the game never changes. It's a ludicrously simple game. Here's how you win: Manage aggro while you use simple, straightforward skills to buff, debuff, heal, and attack.

That's not exactly rocket science, sweet cheeks. I hate to break it to you, but if you were wracking your brain trying to figure out how to play FFXI, you probably aren't going to get that sweet Senior Sandwich Artist job at Subway.

By all means, if you can think of a place in the game where anything is required of a player other than 'don't be a retard and don't group with retards', go ahead and point that out to me, but I didn't see any.
Now, granted, the portion of the playerbase that aren't retards is statistically insignifigant, so I'm sure you could make an argument that it's hard to find a group like that, but it really doesn't mean anything.

And once again: 'Hard' is not the same as 'teious'. FFXI isn't too hard for anybody who can tie their shoes without a cheat sheet, but it takes a special kind of misery to not find the game too goddamn [i]boring[i] to bother playing.

Ryogen
Oct 12, 2006, 12:37 PM
I think it's becuase no one has nothing else to talk about. I will reward the next person with 100 bucks if they do a PSU vs Guild Wars...oh wait. Don't think you know what that is. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Bleemo
Oct 12, 2006, 12:46 PM
On 2006-10-12 10:36, Cross wrote:
Yes I did, and no, the game never changes. It's a ludicrously simple game. Here's how you win: Manage aggro while you use simple, straightforward skills to buff, debuff, heal, and attack.

That's not exactly rocket science, sweet cheeks. I hate to break it to you, but if you were wracking your brain trying to figure out how to play FFXI, you probably aren't going to get that sweet Senior Sandwich Artist job at Subway.

By all means, if you can think of a place in the game where anything is required of a player other than 'don't be a retard and don't group with retards', go ahead and point that out to me, but I didn't see any.
Now, granted, the portion of the playerbase that aren't retards is statistically insignifigant, so I'm sure you could make an argument that it's hard to find a group like that, but it really doesn't mean anything.

And once again: 'Hard' is not the same as 'teious'. FFXI isn't too hard for anybody who can tie their shoes without a cheat sheet, but it takes a special kind of misery to not find the game too goddamn [i]boring[i] to bother playing.

I'm siding with this fellow here.

My highest level was 50 on FFXI, so I cannot comment on how the game was played endgame, however I can generate a general idea.

FFXI was fairly simple, the only difficult thing about actually executing class skills in FFXI was timing, and it wasn't all that hard to get down. You only needed half a brain to figure your own aggro generation, MP conservation, or whatever your class did best.

"Tedious" defines FFXI well. FFXI is an Asian MMO, descent from Korean style. Their MMO's have more of a "challenging" theme rather than a "convienent, have fun" theme. Challenging in their case usually means lots and lots of grinding the same thing over and over again or running all over the place. They enjoy this type of thing, to my knowledge at least. It wasn't designed for western gamers.

FFXI was "tedious," not "hard."

Ceravic
Oct 12, 2006, 04:09 PM
If your highest was level 50 you have no right to judge the game as anything. Complete the Promathia Mission BC's, some of the end game fights, or hell, the fucking Zilart missions and then you can say the game is easy. Getting a job to level 50 shows a very simple knowledge of the game. Also, Cross, you're again only mentioning one aspect of the fucking game, exping. Exping is easy, and obviously so due to the fact that you seem to think you know about the game based off of it. You can say all you want how its "tedious" not hard, but I guarantee you only have a tiny tiny bit of knowledge about anything in the game outside of exping.

Do me a favor, do something simple for me. Go complete the Promathia Mission 5-3 BC fight vs. the Snoll Tzar and then say how easy it is, you fucking retard.

Edit: Another fight in the game is Apocalypse Nigh. You can get fucked on that regardless if you're grouped with retards or not. Learn what you are talking about before speaking on a matter and making yourself look like

1. A retard
2. A prick

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ceravic on 2006-10-12 14:13 ]</font>

Bleemo
Oct 12, 2006, 04:18 PM
On 2006-10-12 14:09, Ceravic wrote:
If your highest was level 50 you have no right to judge the game as anything. Complete the Promathia Mission BC's, some of the end game fights, or hell, the fucking Zilart missions and then you can say the game is easy. Getting a job to level 50 shows a very simple knowledge of the game. Also, Cross, you're again only mentioning one aspect of the fucking game, exping. Exping is easy, and obviously so due to the fact that you seem to think you know about the game based off of it. You can say all you want how its "tedious" not hard, but I guarantee you only have a tiny tiny bit of knowledge about anything in the game outside of exping.

Do me a favor, do something simple for me. Go complete the Promathia Mission 5-3 BC fight vs. the Snoll Tzar and then say how easy it is, you fucking retard.

Let's all jump into the insults. It's the correct thing to do when trying to prove a point.

I believe you are quite incorrect that I cannot judge the game based on my experiences up to level 50. Tell me exactly what is hard about the things you mentioned? Tell me your definition of "hard"? The reason I can get a general idea of the difficulties in late game is because the battle system DOES NOT change.

Also, do you have any idea how long it takes for a person to reach level 75 and do all of those missions? THAT is tedious. Some have been casually playing for two or more years and have yet to reach level 75. Why should I have to go through all of that before I can form an opinion of an MMO? There is no difficulty in fighting much of anything in the game because the battle system is simple and slow, the only difficult thing about it would be timing and aggro generation, and as I mentioned before you only need a half a brain to get those down.

So please, tell me what is "hard" about the above you mentioned. I'm all ears and would love to be proven wrong.

Ceravic
Oct 12, 2006, 04:28 PM
You cannot say theres no difficulty to fighting anything in the game when you haven't reached anything beyond Helm Beetles. That would be like judging Super Mario Bros because you can smash a Goomba with one jump. The aggro generation is not whats hard. If you have competent tanks thats down easy. You have to be on top of things. Certain harder mobs have spells that can wipe your entire alliance in an instant.(Cerberus with Gates of Hades, King Behemoth and Meteor) You have to be able to know these, know when to stun them, or interrupt them, or just get the hell out of the way. You can judge all you want your personal opinions on whether the game is fun or not at level 50, but when it comes to judging its difficulty, you can't. You reached level 50. Thats far enough to decide you don't like it, but not nearly far enough to gauge the difficulty of the game. Sorry. If you still need specific things that get in the way of each of the fights I mentioned I could, but please don't try to argue this point with me, because, again, if you are level 50, then you only really scratched the surface of the game.

2Deuce
Oct 12, 2006, 04:32 PM
On 2006-10-12 10:46, Bleemo wrote:
My highest level was 50 on FFXI

You lose all credibility right there.

L.50 is less than 1/3rd of the way to endgame. Up to level 50 the hardest thing that you'll do is Mission 5-1, AF Weapon fight, PM 2-5 possibly... All of which are very easy assuming you have a non-retarded group.

You can't comment on how "hard" this game is until you're able to do Waking the Beast, Tiamat, Ground Kings, PMs 6-4 and 8-3, Bahamut, Sea/Sky Gods, etc...

I believe you are quite incorrect that I cannot judge the game based on my experiences up to level 50. Tell me exactly what is hard about the things you mentioned? Tell me your definition of "hard"? The reason I can get a general idea of the difficulties in late game is because the battle system DOES NOT change.

Yeah, okay...

How many Soldier Crawlers do you come across that can pop Chainspell + Firaga3 on you? How many Robber Crabs can jump into mid-air, and become comepletely immune to melee attacks? Walking through Quicksand Caves, how many mobs will be non-targetable until they drop from the sky on top of you, strip you naked, and then charm you?

Yes, all of those are actually done by certain endgame mobs

Technically, no the battle system itself doesn't change, but if you think you're gonna kill Fafnir in the same way you kill XP mobs, then you're in for a rude awakening

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 2Deuce on 2006-10-12 14:47 ]</font>

Authenticate
Oct 12, 2006, 04:41 PM
You have enough experience with FFXI to judge it by the time your level 35. You get most of your basic ablities by then, so after that it's all upgrades. If you say otherwise you are deluding yourself. The hardest thing about FFXI was deciding what show I was going to watch on TV while I glanced over at my comp screen every 5-10 seconds.

Yeah, the missions and quests had fun parts, but beyond that it was mindless grind.

Bleemo
Oct 12, 2006, 04:45 PM
On 2006-10-12 14:28, Ceravic wrote:
You cannot say theres no difficulty to fighting anything in the game when you haven't reached anything beyond Helm Beetles. That would be like judging Super Mario Bros because you can smash a Goomba with one jump. The aggro generation is not whats hard. If you have competent tanks thats down easy. You have to be on top of things. Certain harder mobs have spells that can wipe your entire alliance in an instant.(Cerberus with Gates of Hades, King Behemoth and Meteor) You have to be able to know these, know when to stun them, or interrupt them, or just get the hell out of the way. You can judge all you want your personal opinions on whether the game is fun or not at level 50, but when it comes to judging its difficulty, you can't. You reached level 50. Thats far enough to decide you don't like it, but not nearly far enough to gauge the difficulty of the game. Sorry. If you still need specific things that get in the way of each of the fights I mentioned I could, but please don't try to argue this point with me, because, again, if you are level 50, then you only really scratched the surface of the game.

You only mentioned things like, as I mentioned, timing. Timing can be achieved easily in any game, certainly a slow paced game like FFXI.

An MMO is much different from Mario, I wouldn't compare the two.

I'm going to give you one thing, and that there are probably some "difficult" things in the game. But, let me bring this to your attention:

When exactly in the game can you experience these encounters? At level 75, when you have found a good endgame Linkshell, after finishing various long quests, you can finally encounter these experiences that define the game.

Getting to level 75 requires at least a year of leveling if you have somewhat of a life, not including finishing the almost required missions and quests. Getting each required subjob to 37 for your main class will also take a long, grueling amount of tedious grinding. Farming for the amount of money required for decent gear because of the majorly messed up economy will also take a large amount of time. Once you have reached level 75 with all of the subjobs needed up to at least level 37, you will have to EXP for merits on your main.

What part of this game is NOT about tedious grinding? You need to grind, grind, and grind some more in order to experience those few little encounters?

All in all, you will spend the very most of your life grinding EXP and money in FFXI. I came to realise this, which is why I quit in the first place. You cannot say I only scratched the surface of the game, because MOST of the game is simply about grinding in some form, not to encounter these endgame experiences.

Animosity
Oct 12, 2006, 06:25 PM
k since its an action rpg i think its more like monster hunter or even dynasty warriors then ff11

BigBadWolf
Oct 12, 2006, 06:36 PM
Okay this is my first post, w00t.

Since there's no guild system, me and my other FFXI friend wanted to start our own MSN based guild/Linkshell for PSU. I'm a FFXI veteran with no knowledge of PSO at all, so I posted this message here due to the fact that the other FFXI players like us would see it.
The guild will be about a small group of casual players making a fresh start, and willing to work together to level faster, make more money, and have more fun, and overall make a smooth transition from their previous MMO to PSU.
Any FFXI or PSO players interested can add me to their MSN at regalx @ hotmail .com (without the spaces).
Hope to see you there (>'.')>b d<('.'<).

Even though I myself am a 75 WHM from the Remora server, I can’t really comment on the difficulty of FFXI, due to the fact I have no other MMO game experience to compare it to. But I've been told numerous times from people that do have experience that FFXI is a lot more difficult than WoW or PSO, and having gone through CoP myself, I'm inclined very much to believe them.

If you're saying that FFXI takes more skill to make it to endgame, well then, I'm not gonna comment on that because there are very easy ways and very difficult ways to make it to endgame. And arguing about that is gonna waste a lot of space in what I consider an otherwise very interesting thread.

Edit: And Ceravic, it seems that you have not changed one bit in 3 years.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BigBadWolf on 2006-10-12 16:38 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Oct 12, 2006, 06:37 PM
The reason people can compare FFXI and PSU is a simple reason. FFXI use titles for jobs and items that we are used to hearing. For example a Hunter is a Warrior. While there are differences the concept is still the same. Like wise a Beast WarTecher would be compared to a Dark Knight, while a Android WarTecher would be compared to a Paladin, just in the play style concepts these are very similiar and because most people know what a Paladin, Dark Knight, Warrior, etc is because of the usage in many well known games it is easier to understand these terms and much more these are the same terms used in FFXI and so when you want to describe something you go by the most known game that uses the thing you wish to compare it to.

Animosity
Oct 12, 2006, 06:39 PM
On 2006-10-12 16:36, BigBadWolf wrote:
Okay this is my first post, w00t.

Since there's no guild system, me and my other FFXI friend wanted to start our own MSN based guild/Linkshell for PSU. I'm a FFXI veteran with no knowledge of PSO at all, so I posted this message here due to the fact that the other FFXI players like us would see it.
The guild will be about a small group of casual players making a fresh start, and willing to work together to level faster, make more money, and have more fun, and overall make a smooth transition from their previous MMO to PSU.
Any FFXI or PSO players interested can add me to their MSN at regalx @ hotmail .com (without the spaces).
Hope to see you there (>'.')>b d<('.'<).

Even though I myself am a 75 WHM from the Remora server, I can’t really comment on the difficulty of FFXI, due to the fact I have no other MMO game experience to compare it to. But I've been told numerous times from people that do have experience that FFXI is a lot more difficult than WoW or PSO, and having gone through CoP myself, I'm inclined very much to believe them.

If you're saying that FFXI takes more skill to make it to endgame, well then, I'm not gonna comment on that because there are very easy ways and very difficult ways to make it to endgame. And arguing about that is gonna waste a lot of space in what I consider an otherwise very interesting thread.

it difficult yes but games like pso and psu take pure skill. ff11 is a more difficult and better game then WoW but not pso/u

CrazySwayzee
Oct 12, 2006, 07:15 PM
On 2006-10-11 10:42, lolichan wrote:
this thread is full of noninformation and run-on sentences.

by the power of all that is loli, i declare suckthread.

I second that notion,

Different People like Different Games

no one is gonna win this useless arguement, so what's the purpose?

BigBadWolf
Oct 12, 2006, 07:19 PM
I like I said I haven't played PSO or PSU, so I'm going to have to take your word for it.

Can you be more specific about what aspects require more skill in PSO than in FFXI? Exping? Farming? Missions? Rare item hunting? Endgame? It would be great to know the specifics before we head in there.

I read the previous points on the difficulty of PSO and those points don't seem to bother me at all.

I did hear however, that it was very easy to Power Level someone to high level in PSO, so I don't know about 100% pure skill part.

I also heard that Meseta is very difficult to get, and since there's no simple FFXI Auction House exploits. I think that sounds like a very challenging aspect of PSU.

Edit: grammar

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BigBadWolf on 2006-10-12 17:28 ]</font>

Merc
Oct 12, 2006, 08:48 PM
I think that PSU will be an all-around better game than FFXI because in FFXI you basically NEEDED a party in order to gain progress in the game which became really annoying at times. I don't think that the experience of PSU will benefit that greatly from parties and people will be able to play alone and actually get somewhere. Parties will just act as a means of making the game more enjoyable like they did in PSO, or at least that's my opinion.

Zelendria_Ru
Oct 12, 2006, 09:42 PM
I just wanted to say that there are some amazing idiots posting stuff about FFXI. GDI I hope I never have to group with them in PSU...its quite easy to point out the stupid asses though...I'll make a point of asking which ones quit at level 50.

BTW, as a PLD, hate management at 50+ becomes a constant battle as BLMs get their first Ancient Magics and the other DD classes don't even get their MASSIVELY damaging weaponskills until about 65.

A level 50 PLD also KNOWS nothing about keeping hate against 10 melees going insane TP burn style in Limbus battles. >.>

Bleemo
Oct 12, 2006, 10:03 PM
On 2006-10-12 19:42, Zelendria_Ru wrote:
I just wanted to say that there are some amazing idiots posting stuff about FFXI. GDI I hope I never have to group with them in PSU...its quite easy to point out the stupid asses though...I'll make a point of asking which ones quit at level 50.

BTW, as a PLD, hate management at 50+ becomes a constant battle as BLMs get their first Ancient Magics and the other DD classes don't even get their MASSIVELY damaging weaponskills until about 65.

A level 50 PLD also KNOWS nothing about keeping hate against 10 melees going insane TP burn style in Limbus battles. >.>

Oo, again, insults are how to prove a point!

If you've read over my post, I never said anything "bad" about the game. I was only stating how much of a grind the game was, and that most of the game is spent grinding, therefore if one's mentality on the game's difficulty is limited to long and tedious grinding then their definition of "hard" is flawed.

Besides, you honestly make it sound like I've never played the game. You're aware of how long it takes to get to level 50. The reason why I quit was simple, I had played enough(And researched PLENTY) to know where I was going to end up by continuing. Where would that be? Continuous. Boring. Grinding. I would grind EXP and money all the way to 75 along with multiple subjobs to 37, I was just not willing to put out that much effort for that little satisfaction, because in my opinion I thought it was pointless.

You can go on all you want about how difficult hate is to hold in this situation and that situation, yadda-yadda, but that doesn't make your opinion true, because you're trying your best to make it sound difficult, nor does it prove a single thing about the game's difficulty.

The fact is: FFXI is mostly a grind. The battle system is simplistic and slow, which difficulties arise in timing, not what skill to execute. Timing can be achieved easily with practice. Because FFXI's difficult lies mostly within a grind, it is simply "tedious", not "hard".

Is it a bad thing that the battle system is simplistic and the game is tedious? NO. It's a video game, a form of entertainment. Whatever floats someone's boat, can sink another's. The problem with people throwing flaming balls of poo around is that they feel the need to defend their game, there is no such need. So let us keep these debates civilized.

DurakkenX
Oct 12, 2006, 11:20 PM
for those who says FFXI is hard i could play any job while mostly AFK. Warrior, which is notably the hardest class to actually play right though many are unwilling to admit it is still incredably easy and i was lvl 71 war and one of the best so yeah it's easy.

Zelendria_Ru
Oct 12, 2006, 11:42 PM
You can go on all you want about how difficult hate is to hold in this situation and that situation, yadda-yadda, but that doesn't make your opinion true

And saying that "your experiences by level 50 mean that the rest of the game..." has so much more supporting evidence?

The point was that a perfect experience point party is damn easy, even for a tank or healer. A bad party or an outmatched party, with a link, and untimely death, disconnect, etc...not so much. My best parties have been so exciting and enjoyable that time flies by and before you know it everyone has leveled.

Let's not even get started on the new merits only available after getting to 75...

Everything becomes faster...more deadly. Mobs start dishing out incredibly high damage, even during exp. parties. (Sickle Slash anyone?)

To discount missions and level 75 content, not to mention everything added to the game since ToAU came out is folly. SE has made some content that is literally so hard that luck is the only way to win even with a perfect group/setup/execution.
( CoP was the worst in this department )

WTF is the BS bravado about anyways. Is it like a freakin' sign of weakness to say something was challenging?

Also, I wasn't only talking about you Bleemo...but I have to admit when you tried to comment about endgame only being level 50 you are inviting people to question your reasoning to the core.

Bleemo
Oct 13, 2006, 12:13 AM
On 2006-10-12 21:42, Zelendria_Ru wrote:
And saying that "your experiences by level 50 mean that the rest of the game..." has so much more supporting evidence?

The point was that a perfect experience point party is damn easy, even for a tank or healer. A bad party or an outmatched party, with a link, and untimely death, disconnect, etc...not so much. My best parties have been so exciting and enjoyable that time flies by and before you know it everyone has leveled.

Let's not even get started on the new merits only available after getting to 75...

Everything becomes faster...more deadly. Mobs start dishing out incredibly high damage, even during exp. parties. (Sickle Slash anyone?)

To discount missions and level 75 content, not to mention everything added to the game since ToAU came out is folly. SE has made some content that is literally so hard that luck is the only way to win even with a perfect group/setup/execution.
( CoP was the worst in this department )

WTF is the BS bravado about anyways. Is it like a freakin' sign of weakness to say something was challenging?

Also, I wasn't only talking about you Bleemo...but I have to admit when you tried to comment about endgame only being level 50 you are inviting people to question your reasoning to the core.

I never commented on endgame, for the record. I only said I could generate a general idea.

I'm not quite understanding you're point by telling me that some mobs get tougher, some missions are hard, and fights are hard with a bad party. This doesn't define the game, does it? I mean, it's only natural that later in game things get tougher.

What is it in the game that you will be doing most of the time? Grinding, of course. At least 75% of the game consists of tedious grinding of some sort. Hell, to experience the content you're suggesting that makes the game hard you have to go through almost a year of grinding. The tough mob fights in endgame while EXPing wouldn't be so hard that it's such a challenge you're brought to sweat each pull, right?

After you've gone through those one time missions, you go straight back to grinding merits, a subjob, money, or something else. There is no real difficulty in this, just tediousness.

I'm certainly sure there are super difficult fights in the game, otherwise it would be boring without being able to put all of that work to use. All I was really trying to point out is that most of FFXI consists of tedious grinding. If this isn't true, please, tell me where I went wrong.