PDA

View Full Version : during downloading the PSU beta, will the traffic be worse t

Saner
Oct 11, 2006, 10:19 AM
hmmm ya I know we can play games offline while letting it download, but doesn't that slowen the download to a certain degree?

it's very hard to test if multitasking affects your download speed.

but another thing is traffic. will the population downloading it be so huge that it'll go so slow that it might even be halted and cause server shutdowns that people will have to try downloading it again later?

well to test things, I downloaded some large files like Smackdown vs. Raw 2007 and while it was slow I was playing a game and it eventually downloaded earlier than I expected.

but something like the NFS Carbon demo, it seemed like it was getting nowhere so I stopped downloading it.

hmmmm. can Marketplace handle any amount that downloads a demo at once? I wonder if anyone here has experience cases where their demo never got downloaded due to traffic or something interfering.

well downloading this PSU beta may be long and tough to full download. but I dont think it will be as long as say, installing an MMORPG onto the hardrive or something. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Lovejuice
Oct 11, 2006, 10:26 AM
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n293/itslovejuice/junks/fantasysmzz7.gif

mitchm
Oct 11, 2006, 10:28 AM
marketplace will have no problems handling it... this isnt like a halo3 demo where everyone in the world is DLing it... also i dont notice any slowdowns while playing a game with something downloading in the background. As for the NFSMW demo it took me like 10 minutes to dl it so it shouldnt take you to long really... FYI its not that great in my opinion. its a knock off the Tokyo Drift. i dont know if it was supposed to be but if youve seen the movie then youll know.

Saner
Oct 11, 2006, 10:33 AM
it took you 10 minutes!?!?!? Mine said like 20% after like almost an hour. then it didnt increase further for a while so I cancelled it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

and normally my downloads go by really fast.

phunk
Oct 11, 2006, 10:34 AM
Let me take a look in my crystal ball, brbk?

ShurikenShino
Oct 11, 2006, 10:34 AM
NFS took me about 10 mins too...and too be honest who cares if it goes a little slow..:|

Numnuttz
Oct 11, 2006, 10:35 AM
the demo may give us problems when downloading it. it really depends when we start downloading it though. if its during teh moring or middle of the night i think it will download fast but it is in the afternoon, than it may take some time. also it may depend on where you live since some locations have higher internet speeds.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Numnuttz on 2006-10-11 08:37 ]</font>

Zabot
Oct 11, 2006, 10:35 AM
lol i can download the gig files in like 10 mins too, i got comcast and my 360 has no problem downloading conent fast

Magician
Oct 11, 2006, 10:38 AM
Usually it takes about 15-20 minutes to d/l a gig demo on my 360.

Saner
well ya I guess I tried downloaded NFS right when it first came out and everyone was downloading it at once. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

ProfessorZ
The only demo I had problem with was Tomb Raider. It was stuck at 5% for like an hour. I restarted it and it jumped all the way to 57%

phunk
Oct 11, 2006, 10:39 AM
Download time won't be an issue for the beta if you ask me. If anything, I'd be thinking about sever congestion.

Edit: Also, shouldn't this be considered a stress test and not a beta; I'm guessing that is what open betas are?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phunk on 2006-10-11 08:40 ]</font>

tomkat492
Oct 11, 2006, 12:15 PM
I have tested, and sitting at the dash increases download speed, also, the tomb raider was glitched, some ppl got it in like 15 mins, some it took 2-3 hrs. I've never known a 360 download to be slowed by traffic so I'm not to sure about that, but when PSU comes out, it'll be best to just watch some tv or voice chat while your DL is goin on.

Starman
Oct 11, 2006, 12:37 PM
Indeed I really cannot see MS having any issue with few 1000 people downloading the beta at once http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Sabinblitz
Oct 11, 2006, 12:39 PM
I think it will be slow for the fact that the NFS:C demo took me forever to get and the Tiger Woods one barely moved after an hour (up to 8% if I'm not mistaken) so this could be a new occurence though I heard a ton of people complain about NFS:C . I wouldn't mind if it took a little longer, but if it's as slow as NFS:C on top of the fact it will most likely be a much bigger file size (I'm guessin 1.5 GB min. depending on how much content is put in) that would be a little ridiculous. I'm hoping to leave my system on no more than 2 hours to get it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sabinblitz on 2006-10-11 10:40 ]</font>

adamgnome104
Oct 11, 2006, 12:42 PM
I'll just set it for download and do something else instead of playing it the rest of the day.

Hopefully it will work though, I'm used to technolodgy screwing up a lot though!

John_117
Oct 11, 2006, 12:47 PM
Well,all things considering..I dont really think it takes too long to dl demos,although I must say I was dissapointed with FEAR since I own it for the PC..Anyway looking at PSOBB the game itself is only about 500Mb at best...so im pretty sure PSU wont be much larger...well one could only hope.

Ryogen
Oct 11, 2006, 02:12 PM
I title Saner the "worrier" of PSOW. All I seen you post it douts, worries, if and but's. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

SoulsBlade
Oct 11, 2006, 02:45 PM
Hopefully the Beta starts Friday, that way I can DL it in the morning before I head to school. Slow DL shouldn't be a problem then.

Valkayree
Oct 11, 2006, 04:11 PM
On 2006-10-11 08:19, Saner wrote:
hmmm ya I know we can play games offline while letting it download, but doesn't that slowen the download to a certain degree?

it's very hard to test if multitasking affects your download speed.

but another thing is traffic. will the population downloading it be so huge that it'll go so slow that it might even be halted and cause server shutdowns that people will have to try downloading it again later?

well to test things, I downloaded some large files like Smackdown vs. Raw 2007 and while it was slow I was playing a game and it eventually downloaded earlier than I expected.

but something like the NFS Carbon demo, it seemed like it was getting nowhere so I stopped downloading it.

hmmmm. can Marketplace handle any amount that downloads a demo at once? I wonder if anyone here has experience cases where their demo never got downloaded due to traffic or something interfering.

well downloading this PSU beta may be long and tough to full download. but I dont think it will be as long as say, installing an MMORPG onto the hardrive or something. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

On release date, after installing FFXI on the 360 it took me all night to download the updates, and when I woke up the next morning it was still going. As for PSU, I think since there aren't any updates to install aside of the game itself, I would estimate at the most an hour or two, and that's max. Could take 15 minutes, just not more than a few hours.

LiqourSiCC
Oct 11, 2006, 04:25 PM
On 2006-10-11 08:33, Saner wrote:
it took you 10 minutes!?!?!? Mine said like 20% after like almost an hour. then it didnt increase further for a while so I cancelled it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

and normally my downloads go by really fast.

do you have dsl? i downloaded it last nite at like 11 and when i got bacc from school it was 99 percent done.. dsl is a bitch

JaYohheeh7
Oct 11, 2006, 05:08 PM
is there a beta for the pc..?

CrazySwayzee
Oct 11, 2006, 09:44 PM
if PSU is like 3gb big (like some people say)

and say, a million people try to download it (in the world)

then it will be rush-hour and no one will finish the download before the two day download time is over.

Numnuttz
Oct 11, 2006, 10:02 PM
the pc beta started already

Chaobo99
Oct 12, 2006, 12:39 AM
How much actual content is on the PSU demo? 1 level and 1 boss? (-_-;)

Saner
Oct 12, 2006, 08:50 AM
the beta might have Linear Line and Raphon Plains available. so ya at least 2 missions.
so ya Guardians Colony and Parum are most likely going to be available in this beta. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

JaYohheeh7
Oct 12, 2006, 11:43 AM
On 2006-10-11 20:02, Numnuttz wrote:
the pc beta started already

Still available for dl?

Saner
Oct 12, 2006, 11:44 AM
no PC beta is closed to only 100 chosen people.

Numnuttz
Oct 12, 2006, 11:47 AM
for teh pc beta you had be picked to be in it. they allowed a 100 ppl i hear to be in it and many media personal. also i think it end like a few days ago. you should talk to johnaton f if you really want more info since he was part of it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Numnuttz on 2006-10-12 09:47 ]</font>

JaYohheeh7
Oct 12, 2006, 12:20 PM
On 2006-10-12 09:47, Numnuttz wrote:
for teh pc beta you had be picked to be in it. they allowed a 100 ppl i hear to be in it and many media personal. also i think it end like a few days ago. you should talk to johnaton f if you really want more info since he was part of it.

I see, thanks for the info

sulfate
Oct 12, 2006, 12:42 PM
On 2006-10-11 08:28, mitchm wrote:
marketplace will have no problems handling it... this isnt like a halo3 demo where everyone in the world is DLing it... also i dont notice any slowdowns while playing a game with something downloading in the background. As for the NFSMW demo it took me like 10 minutes to dl it so it shouldnt take you to long really... FYI its not that great in my opinion. its a knock off the Tokyo Drift. i dont know if it was supposed to be but if youve seen the movie then youll know.

more like initial d to me

-Crokar-
Oct 12, 2006, 12:46 PM
my market place is mewssed up i go to download something it will get to about 20% then stop and not move for an hour or so so ill cancel and redownload and it jumps up to like 90 then doesnt go anywhare for awhile so i stop it then resume it and it will be complete... it sucks..and no im not using dsl