PDA

View Full Version : Your Character's Gender

wildstar
Oct 11, 2006, 01:19 PM
Simple question: Will the gender of your PSU character(s) match your real life gender?

Btw, please do not turn this into a flame-fest. Feel free to vote and not post at all. I'm not interested in seeing this turn into a topic full of arguments and rants and counter-rants.

I'm simply curious, that's all. Thank-you!

Velrath
Oct 11, 2006, 01:24 PM
Hey... your not Saner...

Anyway, I always make male characters... I don't know why but it's hard for me to play seriously as a female character.

WraithAkaMrak
Oct 11, 2006, 01:25 PM
Both, naturally. I like playing both male and female characters. I don't necessarily "role play" the characters I play in online games. They're characters that I control in the online world, not a character I'm pretending to be.

adamgnome104
Oct 11, 2006, 01:26 PM
I like to make badass male characters, because I'm not badass at all!

Sometimes I make girl characters out of boredom.

phunk
Oct 11, 2006, 01:27 PM
This thread actually has some sort of back behind it.

I always pick a male character.... because I'm a male.

Aion_Clyuve
Oct 11, 2006, 01:30 PM
I play both male and female characters.

wildstar
Oct 11, 2006, 01:33 PM
Thanks to those who have already voted and/or posted. I appreciate you kicking this off. I hope everyone on this board at least votes in this poll.

I think it will be interesting, if we have hundreds of votes eventually, to see what the results are.

happy_peanut
Oct 11, 2006, 01:35 PM
Female http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif yay Ill be inthe Salon alot cause ima change ma lip color to match my mood hehe

Icecold
Oct 11, 2006, 01:37 PM
Out of the four char slots we're given, I'll probably have one female char, just for kicks. But I'll mainly be playing with male characters, and yes I'm male

Candor
Oct 11, 2006, 01:37 PM
I'll start off with a female character, but probably make a male later on.

I usually decide gender by what looks best to me, being a guy, that usually means female characters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Candor on 2006-10-11 12:14 ]</font>

Akaimizu
Oct 11, 2006, 01:41 PM
I go back and forth, giving about equal time to both, even though I guess my male characters have gotten a lot more time.

Sometimes the character build just works really well with a female character, given the character attitude I want to get across. Often enough my female characters are more *gruff* and refusing of any favors, and the male characters I tend to make super cute and will accept them. I guess it's an anime style. Heck, my first PSU custom character was a newman force which also was a dead ringer for a young Billy D Williams. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-11 11:42 ]</font>

Mazoku
Oct 11, 2006, 01:45 PM
I generally like how the male characters look more, but I feel a bit weird playing as one since I'm female. So yes, I'm going female. Especially on 360 with voice chat, everyone will know I'm female anyways.

lolichan
Oct 11, 2006, 01:46 PM
i'm male, but going to make a sexy loli obviously.

Rizen
Oct 11, 2006, 01:47 PM
For the majority of my MMO career (about 4-5 years now), Ive been creating a male characters. In PSU, I have actually made a female character to play with for the first time. I personally prefer people play their gender in online games, but everyone plays what they think looks best for them and Im starting to go along with that.

Akaimizu
Oct 11, 2006, 01:48 PM
Well, if you use the keyboard instead, you can still work in a male without sounding unlike one. Needless to say, I played with a lot of women who played male characters in FFXI. I guess some found it a bit wierd, but I tend to think of them as avatars more than anything. It's like playing Gauntlet online, and *somebody's* gotta play one of those characters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-11 11:49 ]</font>

tomkat492
Oct 11, 2006, 01:51 PM
I will play as a male most of the time but I will always eventually make a female char even though I'm a guy and getting it on 360. Off topic story: In PSO 1&2 I made a female char and me and my friend were in a party, thent his one dude came in and he was hitting on my char, I wasnt saying anything because me and my friend thought it was funny, then I finally started to talk and my friend busted out laughing and said, "Hahahaha, you were sexually harassing a guy!!!"

Sorry, had to tell that story.

Minswune
Oct 11, 2006, 01:56 PM
I'm a male, and making a female character.

Reasons;
1. Re-creating my old PSO FOnewearl, who was also my best character.
2. I prefer the stats on female chars. (Higher MST/TAP, though not by much means ultimately more dmg.)
And 3. I think it'd be amusing to creep people by going to them with a female character, then talking with a deep male voice. Ahh, i can just see it now /cue famous fat bastard lines. "Eh, i'm dead sexy", "Look at my sexy body", "I got titties bigger then you."

Strider_M
Oct 11, 2006, 01:57 PM
Well I'm a guy and my main is going to be a Male but I'm going to make a secondary female char.

Ri0T
Oct 11, 2006, 02:00 PM
I hope to have one male and one female character. Both will most likely be Human, just cause. '-'

myserysyn
Oct 11, 2006, 02:01 PM
For some reason being the other gender just doesn't do it for me at all, so I stick with the good ol' girls!

Akaimizu
Oct 11, 2006, 02:03 PM
On 2006-10-11 11:51, tomkat492 wrote:

Tell me about it. Some people got to learn what online RPGs are, and what they're really for. I remember how Mithra are treated in FFXI. I wanted to make an awesome thief character so I made one, gave it a non-feminine name, and even put in the description that he is a disguised male. So people can even examine the character and find out. Even the chosen outfits were generally butch for a mithra. All covered armaments and military-esque hat.

Of course, people are probably so used to hitting on them, that even that didn't stop that, so much. A case in which I wished there was a speak option to get them off my back. It stopped after a while once I was on a server with more mature people; but I guess it had the opposite effect after a while. I got hit on by more girls afterwards, but I tended to keep everything on a regular friendly basis because even then, you never know the ages, backgrounds, etc. That's just not stuff you want to get into, with these games.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-11 12:04 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-11 12:12 ]</font>

Trinitystar
Oct 11, 2006, 02:15 PM
Being a girl I play on all the time. In other games I have made males but could not get into them as much.

Sammy
Oct 11, 2006, 02:19 PM
On 2006-10-11 11:45, Mazoku wrote:
I generally like how the male characters look more, but I feel a bit weird playing as one since I'm female. So yes, I'm going female. Especially on 360 with voice chat, everyone will know I'm female anyways.

Wouldn't talking in a deeper voice be good enough to hide your gender? As for males it's not so easy for them to simulate a females voice.

Candor
Oct 11, 2006, 02:22 PM
On 2006-10-11 12:03, Akaimizu wrote:

Tell me about it. Some people got to learn what online RPGs are, and what they're really for. I remember how Mithra are treated in FFXI. I wanted to make an awesome thief character so I made one, gave it a non-feminine name, and even put in the description that he is a disguised male. So people can even examine the character and find out. Even the chosen outfits were generally butch for a mithra. All covered armaments and military-esque hat.

Of course, people are probably so used to hitting on them, that even that didn't stop that, so much. A case in which I wished there was a speak option to get them off my back. It stopped after a while once I was on a server with more mature people; but I guess it had the opposite effect after a while. I got hit on by more girls afterwards, but I tended to keep everything on a regular friendly basis because even then, you never know the ages, backgrounds, etc. That's just not stuff you want to get into, with these games.

Just gave me a good idea

To any guy who reads this, if you meet a female beast named Candor, do not flirt with me. Just thought i'd stop you ahead of time.

Akaimizu
Oct 11, 2006, 02:22 PM
Depends on the males. Some are tenors and altos by nature. There's just as many females that have trouble sounding right. Good examples are certain actual voice actresses in anime, that play male parts, and can't even remotely sound male.

Sinue_v2
Oct 11, 2006, 02:23 PM
Male, but I primarily use female characters. Since we have four character slots this time around, I'll probably have the same setup I had in PSO - three female, one male.

krika
Oct 11, 2006, 02:25 PM
My main will be male. Rest will be females.

NiteOwl
Oct 11, 2006, 02:28 PM
My main and my second choice will be female, since I already picked out names and clothes and appearance. I'll have to think about making a male after seeing some in action.

Slitz
Oct 11, 2006, 02:28 PM
Meh, I really don't care.
Gender has a stat dofference in this game, so I'll probably go with what supports my class most.

ShurikenShino
Oct 11, 2006, 02:31 PM
Hmmmm probably 2 male 2 female although on my JP version they are all male..

mod-edit: please refrain from using racial slurs from now on.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2006-10-14 15:51 ]</font>

Numnuttz
Oct 11, 2006, 02:35 PM
im gonna do both, just dont know which job for which sex yet.

Innominate
Oct 11, 2006, 02:38 PM
Nope. I'll be playing female characters.

MXdude
Oct 11, 2006, 02:51 PM
RAmarls were my favorite characters to be, so ill have at least one female. Ill also have a male just because im Male and generally make myself in these games.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MXdude on 2006-10-11 12:51 ]</font>

ANIMEniac
Oct 11, 2006, 03:00 PM
On 2006-10-11 11:25, WraithAkaMrak wrote:
Both, naturally. I like playing both male and female characters. I don't necessarily "role play" the characters I play in online games. They're characters that I control in the online world, not a character I'm pretending to be.

VERY well said ^_^ that how i play as well

Scirrocco
Oct 11, 2006, 03:02 PM
Going to make Male cast figunner
male human wartecher
female newman force
???

I can only think of female characters in magic roles. Guess i'm sexist.

Merumeru
Oct 11, 2006, 03:03 PM
XD i might make a hot bishy guy but all the rest of my charrys will be girls, im so used to roleplaying pretty boys so its no big deal, and itll be fun to make weird voices on the 360 if i get that version

Spacepest
Oct 11, 2006, 03:04 PM
On 2006-10-11 12:03, Akaimizu wrote:

On 2006-10-11 11:51, tomkat492 wrote:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-11 12:04 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-11 12:12 ]</font>

LOL I remember when I played FFXI, there was a male player on my server who had a female mithra character, he named her "Imaguy" so other players wouldn't hit on him/her. XD

I'm female, and all of my main toons on online games have been female. This time for PSU, I will probably change that, and try to make a male main toon, just for a change of pace. It depends just how good the character creation options are this time around...I wanted to try and play a male toon in WoW, but OMFG the male toons in that game are so freaking fugly, especially with the limited character creation options.

As for voice chat options, right now I don't even bother to use voicechat in my games. I'm a late night gamer, and there is no way I can play using voice chat without screaming and yelling and waking up everyone else in my house. Now, maybe if my videogaming room was sound proofed...hmm...now that's not a bad idea.... XD

wildstar
Oct 11, 2006, 03:07 PM
Thanks to those that have voted and thanks especially to all of you who have posted and kept it cool!

I'm impressed by how many people have voted so far. I hope more votes come in as people log into the board later on today.

l3iohazard
Oct 11, 2006, 03:12 PM
yup im a man in real life so i'll stay a man in real life

ANIMEniac
Oct 11, 2006, 03:16 PM
oh, let me also tell about tragic misshaps i had on PSOX with my main character Rina, a HUnewearl:

so she was one of my first 3, which where RAmar, HUnewearl, and RAcast. and i made voice masks for all of them. i did so cause i was all of 12-13 and my parents still had doubts about safety online, so i was like ill just mask my voice. well after the first day i used Rina with a masked voice i quickly found out that many ppl hit on girls in games. the bad part was i tweaked the voice mask so well that even now when i use it i sound like a girl... but i NEVER use it anymore.

and even if i have a broken mic, it gets pretty bad. i mean i know my char is fairly atractive but COMMON! i tried to tell ppl that i was a guy and they kept goin... then the funny thing is that 2 months later when i finaly get a new mic, they hear me for the first time and never speak to me again ^_^.

but all in all, if you are a guy playing a girl char dont be afraid to talk just cause ur a guy, and vice versa. i think its cool that a guy can play a girl or a girl can play a guy and not expect any differnet treatment b/c in the end they are just playing a game and not crossdressing in RL

BlueDagger
Oct 11, 2006, 03:18 PM
Yes... If I were going to play a humahn/newman/beast... Now this brings an interesting question to my mind...

How do casts have a gender?!

myserysyn
Oct 11, 2006, 03:21 PM
On 2006-10-11 13:04, Spacepest wrote:
LOL I remember when I played FFXI, there was a male player on my server who had a female mithra character, he named her "Imaguy" so other players wouldn't hit on him/her. XD

Was your server Midgard? If not, then that must be a popular name. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Akaimizu
Oct 11, 2006, 03:22 PM
How do casts have a gender?!

They don't, technically. But casts kind of get associated by chosen look and speech box. Also, if you've followed the PSO story and remember that particular genius responsible for making casts that are more emotional and *human*; you'll see the further results of that now that this game is in the future from it.

Depending on your build, even walking mannerisms and such will take on generally gender-associated motions. They still don't have gender, but lets say they imitate it more than they used to.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-11 13:23 ]</font>

Candor
Oct 11, 2006, 03:29 PM
On 2006-10-11 13:04, Spacepest wrote:
I'm female, and all of my main toons on online games have been female. This time for PSU, I will probably change that, and try to make a male main toon, just for a change of pace. It depends just how good the character creation options are this time around...I wanted to try and play a male toon in WoW, but OMFG the male toons in that game are so freaking fugly, especially with the limited character creation options.

WoW is where i started using female characters, up to that point all i used were male; but damn, that game had some ugly male toons, the only male i could play was a dwarf or undead (at least they're supposed to look like how they did)

DreamLocke
Oct 11, 2006, 03:55 PM
I will have two females probably, two male. Online, though, I will have a male character so I won't be harassed by people thinking I'm a chick (I'm male BTW) So my "extra" mode characters will be female.

Zorafim
Oct 11, 2006, 04:07 PM
I tend to enjoy playing as female charcter more than male characters, possibly because I'm atracted to the extra grace they have or how they tend to fit the fantasy style better. I think I still have about half a chance of making a male, depending on their creation looks and their fighting style. So far the female cast's metal skirts draw me in just a bit more than the male cast's full body armor, but that can shift.

b3n
Oct 11, 2006, 04:07 PM
If you pretend to be a girl youll get free stuff from geeks with no lives. Im gona be a male though.

Ryoten
Oct 11, 2006, 05:39 PM
My main 2 characters will be a male. The other two female.

tyler2zelda
Oct 11, 2006, 05:48 PM
Probably gonna be a male till at least lvl 30. Then I'm going to make my female.

Male Name: Tyler or T-ZAR (Human/Cast Hunter)
Female Name: Locke (Human Ranger)

Hope they aren't stolen...

_glowstiq_
Oct 11, 2006, 05:49 PM
Playin' the tricks. :]

TonyC
Oct 11, 2006, 06:02 PM
I will probably be both in all honesty because when making a character I usually go for the stats instead of the gender of the character but I do prefer to be male characters in online games. But I always like every advantage I can get even if it means being a female character...

Blueblur
Oct 11, 2006, 06:06 PM
My first character will be a male like myself. I haven't decided anything yet.

Haruka-sama
Oct 11, 2006, 06:11 PM
I'm going to play my own gender, like I always do in online games. I really like some of the male outfits & hair styles, but for some reason I just can't get past playing a guy character... o_o

Rejor11
Oct 11, 2006, 06:33 PM
I will have both male and female characters. I'm thinking of making my CAST character female.

wildstar
Oct 11, 2006, 09:41 PM
Wow! Same gender is #1 vote getter, but if you add together the people that will always play the opposite gender plus the people that will play both genders (depending on the character they're on) then its a different story. I'm not totally surprised, but this is pretty interesting.

112 votes so far. I know a lot more people read and post here. Hopefully more will vote soon.

CrazySwayzee
Oct 11, 2006, 09:48 PM
nothing makes your day like seeing a cute, girly cast character with the voice of a manly, low-pitched WWE wrestler

ahhh, the wonders of the Xbox 360!

mogshaz
Oct 11, 2006, 09:57 PM
Really, there isn't much of a difference between the male and female characters from what i've seen. They are all femanine looking and i have yet to see a screen of a dude with some rugged body hair or a handlebar moustache (the most manly of moustaches).

on topic: same gender, to this very day i can't play a female character without complaing about how i can't use a male character.

Lovejuice
Oct 11, 2006, 10:02 PM
I am a boy, and shall play with boys.

Wait.. that sounds a bit wrong..

Cigaro
Oct 11, 2006, 10:11 PM
I don't just create characters for PSU, I create characters.

If I created all male characters, wouldn't that be a little sexist?

My PSOBB character, Revenga, was a HUcaseal. I intend on recreating her for PSU.

Souppy
Oct 11, 2006, 10:18 PM
On 2006-10-11 20:02, Lovejuice wrote:
I am a boy, and shall play with boys.

Wait.. that sounds a bit wrong..

And your forum name is Lovejuice which makes it even worse!

Pontifus
Oct 11, 2006, 11:19 PM
Both, I guess. I'll get bored with the way my male character looks eventually.

February
Oct 12, 2006, 12:23 AM
I plan on making a female hunter and a male ranger, so yeah both for me.

Ezekiel06
Oct 12, 2006, 12:28 AM
Hmmm...I dunno yet. I only had one female in previous PSOs

Kyubi
Oct 12, 2006, 04:36 AM
I usually make male characters, but make at least one female just for a change http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 12, 2006, 05:47 AM
I voted yes and no, I'll have a couple male characters but also a female character.

Melora
Oct 12, 2006, 05:55 AM
I'm a girl so I like playing as a girl. Not enough video games give you the option to.

PJ
Oct 12, 2006, 07:06 AM
I've found the female class is good at being Newman Force

So, online, I'm making 1 female character. And 3 male characters http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

And my extra mode is a male character too. I dunno if that ratio is fair enough to say I play both gender characters.

wildstar
Oct 12, 2006, 07:42 AM
Even if only one character you plan to make is opposite gender it is enough to vote "Yes AND No ~ I will have M & F characters" ~ which, I see, is now the #1 vote getter. Wow, things changed over night.

Xenofobia
Oct 12, 2006, 07:49 AM
I think i will stay true to my gender^^

Neith
Oct 12, 2006, 08:10 AM
Probably all female characters http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif I'm not a fan of the male designs to be fair.

All my PSO characters are female (Had a couple of males, all got deleted), so the trend will probably continue http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Zarbolord
Oct 12, 2006, 09:44 AM
2 males and 1 female. That's my plan if we onlyplay on 1 world.

chewydawg
Oct 12, 2006, 10:09 AM
I'm a male and I would create 3 male characters and 1 female force I also might roleplay too so I think the right choice. I care about stats and looks(but mostly stats)

wildstar
Oct 12, 2006, 12:49 PM
This is such a popular board ~ I know we can get to at least 200 votes.

If you haven't voted yet please do so.

Don't think you have to explain yourself 'cause you don't have to. You can just vote and not post if you feel like it.

FreshVeggies
Oct 12, 2006, 12:55 PM
I always made a Male Character first, it's just how it is, but maybe I couls switch it up....hmmmm

bleyzwun
Oct 12, 2006, 02:27 PM
I didnt vote cuz im not sure yet. I really didnt like the males in this game... they look corny. I got a female beast on extra mode and she looks cool but im just not used to it. I wanted to go with a pissed off kid but for some reason when you make the face pissed they look old. So I end up looking like a midget =P. Im gonna keep playing around with it in extra mode untill I get it right. If not I will make the same female char for when I go online. They really shouldve made it so the eyes and face are seperate. Oh well...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bleyzwun on 2006-10-12 12:30 ]</font>

Zarbolord
Oct 12, 2006, 02:30 PM
I think they're ok. anyway, they still need to add more stuff, so they will most likely add something that you would prefer.

Viper472
Oct 12, 2006, 05:52 PM
Probally a male for starters, maybe a female eventually, see what I like with these new classes and races.

Widow
Oct 12, 2006, 08:08 PM
I'm staying with being a female.
I adore to dress up, and change my appearance a lot.
Not saying that guys can't, but it just seems more natural to be a female.

Merc
Oct 12, 2006, 08:38 PM
I'll end up making both, a male and female character eventually, I'm sure.

mattdude
Oct 12, 2006, 08:53 PM
I will be a male char of course....but maybe try a female... maybe...

Yoiyami
Oct 12, 2006, 08:58 PM
I'm happy being a female. I like for my characters to be a representation of me and being a girl and all, I find that easier to do with female characters. Much easier. >.>;;

Sgt_Shligger
Oct 12, 2006, 09:08 PM
o rly?

This topic has been done so many times. . . But I'll make a female then a male character for what it's worth.

Frog
Oct 12, 2006, 09:58 PM
Yes & No. My main character will be a guy because I am a guy. But I just have to make a NEI character!!!

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Miphesto
Oct 12, 2006, 10:02 PM
the user earned a warning with this post.
congratulations!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2006-10-14 15:54 ]</font>

Numnuttz
Oct 12, 2006, 10:05 PM
lol i was wondering how long it would take Miphesto to jump into this topic and add his 2 cents. let the gender war begin again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Numnuttz on 2006-10-12 20:05 ]</font>

Deathcraze
Oct 12, 2006, 10:11 PM
It isn't a big deal for me but I will probably go 3 female and 1 male. If you are going to be looking at your characters ass for 1000+ hours you may as well look at something nice http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I could imagine if you were to use voice chat while playing as the opposite sex, others could find it to be a bit odd at first but they should get over it soon enough.

EDOJIN
Oct 12, 2006, 10:13 PM
I will probably make two male and two female characters. If you dont think about the gender, it all comes down to the base stats and stat increases. males tend to have more hp, attack power, and attack accuaracy while females have better technic power, defense, and endurance. Gender just simply determines how you play.

Bleemo
Oct 12, 2006, 10:13 PM
On 2006-10-12 20:02, Miphesto wrote:
only fags make female characters

If I make a female character, will you be the first one to visit my room, big boy?

Miphesto
Oct 12, 2006, 10:17 PM
flaming ftw

Bleemo
Oct 12, 2006, 10:21 PM
On 2006-10-12 20:17, Miphesto wrote:
flaming ftw

Flames of passion, big boy.

On a side and on topic note: Female characters are fun to make as they are much more appealing. The only real two reasons to make a character based on your gender are for roleplay value and to allow others to assume your IRL gender correctly.

I will be making a male character myself, but if Miphisto wants some lovin'... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_kuddel.gif

EDOJIN
Oct 12, 2006, 10:32 PM
On 2006-10-12 20:11, Deathcraze wrote:
It isn't a big deal for me but I will probably go 3 female and 1 male. If you are going to be looking at your characters ass for 1000+ hours you may as well look at something nice http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I could imagine if you were to use voice chat while playing as the opposite sex, others could find it to be a bit odd at first but they should get over it soon enough.

you made a good point. lol

One a different note, this is a game and shouldnt be taken too serious. And what if the guy is a homosexual, we cant tell everyone to pick their own gender. All we can do about it is just accept that people play with different genders.

Bleemo
Oct 12, 2006, 10:35 PM
On 2006-10-12 20:32, EDOJIN wrote:

You get used to this super quick-like on World of Warcraft. About 25% of the people you speak with over Vent/TS are males playing female characters.

EDOJIN
Oct 12, 2006, 10:47 PM
I guess since Im going to be playing on my PC or PS2 I wont have to worry about hearing guys that are playing as a female character. I take it that the 360 version will have a big community.

Natrokos
Oct 12, 2006, 10:47 PM
I think the whole "If I have to stare at somethin it might aswell be pretty!" argument is overdone....Noone has to defend what gender they play because it's YOUR character.... If you think someone who plays a girl is a fag then you have problems with your own sexuality.

wildstar
Oct 13, 2006, 08:19 AM
I am truly impressed by the # of votes and by how well people have handled this topic. No flames despite different people have different points of view. Awesome. Thanks for keeping this topic chill.

As of the time I am posting this, the votes indicate that more people (overall) will play characters of the opposite gender (at least some of the time) than will play their own gender. WOW ~ that's suprising!

Velguarder
Oct 13, 2006, 10:03 AM
Gotta love the girls just as much as the boys. Apparently, SEGA needs to implement the love a little more equally. Apparently, males are luckier than females when it comes to rare things. Check this topic:

Drop Rate Modifiers and How They Work
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=120130&forum=20&24

Candor
Oct 13, 2006, 10:35 AM
I really like this communities response (like wildstar said), in WoW if i ever said that i was a guy when playing any female character i would end up having to blocked 5 people at least (even though i never roleplayed).

And to Velguarder, that was a misinterpretation, read up on it on the wiki page

http://www.psupedia.org/index.php?title=Luck

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Candor on 2006-10-13 08:37 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Candor on 2006-10-13 08:40 ]</font>

Ein
Oct 13, 2006, 12:58 PM
yes&no for me

caseal looks dam cute in maid outfits!XD

Drown
Oct 13, 2006, 01:09 PM
I play males, personally. I just can't get into a female character, and I don't intend to try.

I know that some people play genders not their own, and that is perfectly fine, I'm not here to judge or hate.

I do find it funny, though, and I tease my friend all the time, when guys create attractive female characters because they wish they were dating them.
Not that nearly all of the people who play cross-gender do so, but it is funny when it happens.

wildstar
Oct 14, 2006, 05:27 PM
I've got it in my head to see if we can get over 200 votes on this poll and we're close now.

If you haven't voted yet please do so!

Leviathan
Oct 14, 2006, 05:38 PM
Yes, I will play a female chracter to match me.

wildstar
Oct 14, 2006, 11:24 PM
For the record: I'm a guy in real life and my online characters will all be males. My plan is for my first (and main) character to be a human male named 'Wildstar.'

If I get the urge to tinker around with the female characters (because of stats/weapon-exclusives/whatever) I'll do that offline.

I played male characters in GC but in DC PSO I had a female character. I just thought she looked cool. But it made things too weird/annoying. I was constantly watching people type flirts with my character so I'd have to explain I was a male in real life and then they'd want to know why I was playing a female and it became such a drag I vowed never again.

Personally, I have nothing against people playing whatever they want to. Your character, your choice, that's my stance. But, for myself, I've learned its easier to stick to your own gender, at least for me.

Thanks to everyone who posted in and voted. With the exception of one homophobic rocket scientist it's been a peacefull topic, so overall a very cool little poll.

Peace and see ya next week in PSU!

Cause_I_Own_U
Oct 14, 2006, 11:46 PM
Male char = main

Female char = spank bank

Banert
Oct 14, 2006, 11:56 PM
I will be making a male character, because I usually try to make my character similar to myself. I will, however, make some female characters just for kicks to see who I can recreate (I'm one of those people who will spend 3 hours making a characters eyes just right size only to put a helmet on the head), so you can bet I'll have a few female characters over time.

Bleemo
Oct 14, 2006, 11:58 PM
Hmm... Maybe I should make my character... a trap!

AlMcFly
Oct 15, 2006, 12:07 AM
I stick with male characters that come as close as possible to resembling myself. On BB, my fourth was a racaseal and was used mainly as an item bank and cmode character. I was just bored when I did that though ;P.

Feyz
Oct 18, 2006, 02:17 PM
I really don't care what gender people are in real life when I play online games. I don't play games to 'hook up.' I also don't think I *am* my character. I make whatever looks like something I will fun playing for a long time.

I will probably end up with two male characters (cast and human) and two female characters (beast and newearl).

If people have a problem with that its not my problem, its their problem.

Tzaikun
Oct 18, 2006, 02:24 PM
I'm choosing the male gender, as I'd like my character to be portrayed as close to me as possible. I like the hairstyles in the game because they're almost like mine before. My cousin who's a dude chose a female character, but I don't care because that's his preference, and I have no problem with anyone else's preference as long as they're a cool person.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tzaikun on 2006-10-18 12:24 ]</font>

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 18, 2006, 02:25 PM
eh my mian will be a female cast ranger because RAcaseal was always my favorite class, no idea what race/gender the others will be, will decide in time...though I am thinking of a bulky male cast fortefighter

Bast
Oct 18, 2006, 02:28 PM
Guy playing a male character = OK
Guy playing a female character = OK
Guy playing a female character & pretending to be a woman = Needs to talk to Dr. Phil or Jerry Springer

And vice versa for the ladies.

I personally will be making a couple/few different characters. Gender/race/class will vary.

Losodo1976
Oct 18, 2006, 03:16 PM
I only make male characters. Not trying to be an ass, but I'll never understand why guys make female characters.

DarkShadowX
Oct 18, 2006, 03:18 PM
On 2006-10-18 12:28, Bast wrote:
Guy playing a male character = OK
Guy playing a female character = OK
Guy playing a female character & pretending to be a woman = Needs to talk to Dr. Phil or Jerry Springer

And vice versa for the ladies.

I personally will be making a couple/few different characters. Gender/race/class will vary.

How true. Well all my chars will be male, but I might consider making 1 of them a female.

Mwabwetumba
Oct 18, 2006, 03:19 PM
I use my dreams to create my characters..since I cannot control my own dreams, the results may vary..

Weak
Oct 18, 2006, 03:21 PM
I've played a female character in an online game before. It's not like you're insane for creating a character that's the opposite gender of yourself.

When someone asked me if I was girl or not, I was just like "No, I'm a guy." As long as you're just honest about who you are, you're not a freak.

HKDon
Oct 18, 2006, 03:26 PM
I usually even my characters out, so I'm gonna use two males and two females, and I'll play them all equally

Candor
Oct 18, 2006, 03:26 PM
On 2006-10-18 13:16, Losodo1976 wrote:
I only make male characters. Not trying to be an ass, but I'll never understand why guys make female characters.

Try it, maybe you'll get it

Nayte
Oct 18, 2006, 03:36 PM
I'll make a male my main( to remesemble myself as much as possible) and a female newman alt becuase they just look great.
Female characters usually get treated better in online games ( i wonder why...) and its going to happen here eventually i bet.

Feyz
Oct 18, 2006, 03:54 PM
On 2006-10-18 13:16, Losodo1976 wrote:

I used to feel the exact same way.

When I started out in PSO my first was a FOnewm (male newman force). Then, when I was ready to make my hunter character, I had 3 choices on DC: HUmar, HUcast, and HUnewearl. Since I liked the newman race I decided to make a HUnewearl. I probably would have made a HUnewm instead, if that was a choice, but it wasn't a choice back then.

At first it was weird, but I ended up really liking that character a lot. So I stuck with it and got it to lv100. When v2 came out I transfered it over and eventually got that HUnewearl up to over lv150. After a 150 levels of being a male controlling a female character it didn't feel any weirder than play Tomb Raider and controlling Lara Croft.

They're just characters in a video game.

They're not you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Feyz on 2006-10-18 14:00 ]</font>

FenixStryk
Oct 18, 2006, 04:02 PM
I'll be playing the same gender. But, if I were a chick, I'd still play as a guy. Too many losers who can't differentiate from RL and a game and all, trying to mack.

Akaimizu
Oct 18, 2006, 04:05 PM
If they try to mack, then you'll know where to point those twin handguns. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

prismsub5
Oct 18, 2006, 04:06 PM
I'm a guy and I primary play female characters.
The voice problem (female char sounding male) will be fixed by using a voice distortion program.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

On 2006-10-18 13:54, Feyz wrote:
They're not you.

Depends; some people say "I picked up some meseta" others will say "My char picked up some meseta"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: prismsub5 on 2006-10-18 14:09 ]</font>

wildstar
Oct 18, 2006, 04:13 PM
This is why I don't play female characters online any more. Too much hassle.

I'm also amazed this poll is still going! Awesome 200 votes!

EDIT: You know, it IS pretty amazing to look at the poll results now (201 votes as I make this edit).

If you add together the people that flat-out are NOT playing as their real-life gender, plus the people who will at least some of the time play as the opposite gender, then people who only play as their own gender are in the minority. That's interesting.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wildstar on 2006-10-18 14:25 ]</font>

Diablohead
Oct 18, 2006, 05:30 PM
My main will always be male, but I normally experiment or go female with a 2nd or/and 3rd character in most games.

Kaizah
Oct 19, 2006, 12:30 PM
So far since DC PSO i've made both and there's no reason not to this time around.

adamgnome104
Oct 19, 2006, 02:32 PM
While playing the Beta, I had a male character and a female character.

Bast
Oct 19, 2006, 02:50 PM
Finding love via the Internet is something I would never recommend. I've seen too many people get "surprised."

Since I'm married, I could care less if you're a guy playing a male character, guy playing as a female character, or a chicken prevented to be a man. I'm playing a game not looking for a date. Friends are nice, but that is far as it goes. I usually find out the person's "so called" gender when they tell me their real name.

You say you're a girl/guy/chicken? Who cares.

Do you have a sense of humor and can do what it takes in PSU/other friendly MMORPG? Yes? Good.

I've just seen some friends from FFXI get scammed from G.I.R.L. (Guy In Real Life) characters.

I don't base giving help out by gender, race, pixilated ta-tas, etc. Anyone who genuinely needs help I assist.

fcukReality
Oct 19, 2006, 03:30 PM
I normally make my first character (and main) a male, but sometime down the line im sure ill roll at least 1 female alt down the line...

P4tta
Oct 19, 2006, 04:06 PM
deleted

SethWhiteFox
Oct 19, 2006, 04:09 PM
Male, why be a female unless you are one? No offence to the people who are.

-BK-
Oct 19, 2006, 04:10 PM
My main and secondary will both be mail. I'll eventually create female characters, but I'm not likely to spend a lot of time with them or keep them at all.