PDA

View Full Version : Do you need the CD in your machine to play?

Miyoko
Oct 12, 2006, 01:46 AM
I've been browsing the PSOW forums for quite some time now, and I've never seen a topic asking this (So don't shout LURK MOAR). IF this question has been posted, it managed to slip by me...

For the PC version, I know you need to have an active internet connection to play the game, but... Do you need to have the CD in your drive to play? Or can you just pop the CD in, install, take it out, and never use it again, while playing offline/online?

I have to install the game remotely (over my network, from my brothers computer) when it comes out, and this never occured to me untill recently... Would someone with the JP PC version be able to let me know? Thanks in advance.

A2K
Oct 12, 2006, 01:51 AM
As far as I can tell, having the CD in the drive isn't a requirement.

Miyoko
Oct 12, 2006, 01:54 AM
Eeexcellent, thank you A2k!

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 12, 2006, 01:57 AM
Based on my experience with the beta, I can only confirm what A2K says.

phunk
Oct 12, 2006, 01:57 AM
I always rip and create an image and mount the game cds I play, did the same for PSU so I would have no idea.

Miyoko
Oct 12, 2006, 02:02 AM
Phunk, I was prepared to do that (and still am) if I need the CD to play. Let's just hope I don't have to though, as it seems like a lot of work http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

DrewSeleski
Oct 12, 2006, 02:03 AM
Since you can download the pc files online form sega I can't imagine it would require you to have the cd to play

Losodo1976
Oct 12, 2006, 02:29 AM
On , wrote:
Um, no, you can't download PSU from sega. Thats Blue Burst.

Actually, the Japanese players can download the PSU client if their machines don't have DVD drives. They need the key from the game case to download it. It looks like PSU is going to be DVD only.

Sanjiro
Oct 17, 2006, 09:50 AM
Hey if you can really play the game without the cd then this game should last for quite some time. Ya know, prevent straches...

Drown
Oct 17, 2006, 10:10 AM
Apparently as long as you buy a copy of the game, you can download PSU from the website. You DO, however, still need to supply the key code which is on your physical copy of the game.

rena-ko
Oct 17, 2006, 10:26 AM
even better, it will be DVD9 which cant be read by .. well.. drives that dont support it.
so the download method might be costly (8GB+) but a good alternative.

1337Beeb
Oct 17, 2006, 10:43 AM
Not that I think you do, WoW works without one.

A2K, how did you do the cut in chat from the PC version? I have it and I can't figure out how to do it on extra mode >.<

Deus-Irae
Oct 17, 2006, 12:50 PM
On 2006-10-17 08:26, rena-ko wrote:
even better, it will be DVD9 which cant be read by .. well.. drives that dont support it.

hm, that has me somewhat worried. i guess ill have to check and see if my cheapy dvd player can play DVD9's... crap.

(hi Rena)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Deus-Irae on 2006-10-17 10:51 ]</font>

SpishackCola
Oct 17, 2006, 01:06 PM
Ugh, really rena? Hmm. My DVD drive is like first generation http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif Also, Hi http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

McLaughlin
Oct 17, 2006, 02:48 PM
On 2006-10-11 23:57, phunk wrote:
I always rip and create an image and mount the game cds I play, did the same for PSU so I would have no idea.

Feeling kinda stupid for asking this, but the more I know...What's mounting?

For Cut-In chat, just hold down Tab when you press enter.