PDA

View Full Version : Walmart to Release X360 PSU on 10/24

Bleemo
Oct 12, 2006, 03:45 PM
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5013083

If anyone hasn't noticed, Walmart has changed the release date of their X360 PSU version from 10/16/2006 to 10/24/2006, the Sega announced US release date.

I had preordered my copy from them just to see if they would actually release it on the 16th, so if anyone did the same, you now have your answer.

Maxurion
Oct 12, 2006, 03:46 PM
*gasp* Wal-mart is stupid. What a shock.

tyler2zelda
Oct 12, 2006, 03:54 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/spam.gif

Just a test

ON-TOPIC: I knew they were wrong.

EDIT: Sweet! My can of spam worked!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tyler2zelda on 2006-10-12 13:55 ]</font>

Zanac
Oct 12, 2006, 06:37 PM
did anyone think maybe they ran out of stock on the first batch that just MIGHT get sent out on the 16th? hmmmmm? my preorder from walmart still says it will arrive on the 17th...so i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Kyunji
Oct 12, 2006, 06:46 PM
On 2006-10-12 16:37, Zanac wrote:
did anyone think maybe they ran out of stock on the first batch that just MIGHT get sent out on the 16th? hmmmmm? my preorder from walmart still says it will arrive on the 17th...so i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

No. Wal-Mart orders probably don't automatically update.

One more time: There is absolutely no chance that any store will have the game before the 24th of this month. The 24th is the ship date; in other words, the game won't even be sent to stores before that date (or perhaps a day or maybe even two, at most). This was just a mistake on Wal-Mart's part.

Zanac
Oct 12, 2006, 06:57 PM
and how do you know this for sure?

A2K
Oct 12, 2006, 07:01 PM
Based on the evidence provided (namely, the fact that everyone else has had the date set around the 24th) it's the logical conclusion.

Kent
Oct 12, 2006, 07:06 PM
Wal-Mart's not going to break the street date for this - namely, because they won't even have the game until it's shipped to them (game specialty stores usually get stuff over night, however, it may take a week or so for Wal-Mart and other department stores to get theirs).

It's not like Sega is making shipments a month in advance, so as stores can stock up and meet demand for the game (like what Nintendo did with Pokemon Yellow - which ended up being put on shelves almost a month in advance, because of this).

Soulvayne
Oct 12, 2006, 07:06 PM
Kyungi it has been stated in other topics that Wal-mart has presold some other 360 titles *cough* Saint's Row *cough* you never know, this could have been an honest mistake on walmart's part. If they send it out early to people they horray for those people that get the game early. If they don't get it early oh well as well.

I personally don't care (Preordered it from them) either way as I'll eventually get the game and will be able to play it. As far as this no store ever gets a item earlier than its ship date, thats not always true (I can tell you for a fact from working in a library that we get alot of books well before their release/sale date we just can not put them out for the public) however those stores are not supposed to be allowed to display them until the official date that is set. Again not all these stores do that, I remember when Halo 2 was sold to someone in Canada a few days before its release date sometimes it happens deal with it.

Zanac
Oct 12, 2006, 07:11 PM
But the fact of the matter is there is still a chance...even if it is ridiculously small

CpwninOBrien
Oct 12, 2006, 07:13 PM
this was genious move on wal-marts part, at vry least they got 1 predorer out of the deal

A2K
Oct 12, 2006, 07:14 PM
On 2006-10-12 17:11, Zanac wrote:
But the fact of the matter is there is still a chance...even if it is ridiculously small

There's a ridiculously small chance I could be struck by lightning the moment I step outside. Simply because the possibility exists does not mean I should bank all my hopes and dreams on it happening.

Miphesto
Oct 12, 2006, 07:32 PM
i think it's hilarious to see topics about wal mart all the time...i'm a manager at wal mart, and i know, the copies will not be released until at LEAST tuesday the 24th....because that's what it says on the box....the only thing that will change that is if we get notified via email not to release until the 27th, because is see they're advertisements saying oct. 27...but usually, new releases are released on tuesdays....that would be the 24th.

Miphesto
Oct 12, 2006, 07:37 PM
FYI...for those of you who dont know, games get shipped out much earlier than the 'ship date' that's when THEY can ship it out....they can ship it out a day early, because it wont arrive until at LEAST the next day....

wal mart has movies, and games, at least one, to two weeks in advance, i remember when we got world of warcraft, a half pallet display, almost 30 days before it's release.....so stop acting like you know something about the business

bob0mb
Oct 12, 2006, 07:44 PM
Miphesto i find it funny how you are talking like you already have PSU in store, when specialty retailers don't have it . how is Wal-Mart going to have the game before GameStop/EB (because i'm pretty sure they are the biggest seller of video games in the US now)? only specific games with "street dates" are shipped in early (and yes WoW was one of those titles, as was Saint's Row, etc, etc)

TonyC
Oct 12, 2006, 07:46 PM
On 2006-10-12 17:14, A2K wrote:

On 2006-10-12 17:11, Zanac wrote:

There's a ridiculously small chance I could be struck by lightning the moment I step outside. Simply because the possibility exists does not mean I should bank all my hopes and dreams on it happening.

Well actually considering 30 people get struck by lightning a year thats 30 lucky people that will get psu on the 17th...

Shye
Oct 12, 2006, 08:18 PM
It's more a question of investment. It costs nothing but time to preorder it from Walmart and then cancel the order if the date is wrong.

45 seconds to order + 15 to cancel if it's wrong is a very small investment for the chance of getting it early.

The fact is, there have been many games that HAVE gotten to retailers (and subsequently gamers) earlier than the "official release date" on their websites.

Saints Row is one such. It happens.

Do I expect it to come in early? Not particularly, and I'd never bet on it... however, the relatively small investment for a larger pay-off of getting it early is pretty appealing.

In the end, if it's wrong I lost maybe a minute of my life, which might not even be as long as some nay-sayer's posting habits... so I still come out ahead.

Merc
Oct 12, 2006, 08:20 PM
I didn't think any store would be able to release it early... let alone that early, but it wouldv'e been awesome though.

bob0mb
Oct 12, 2006, 09:50 PM
i'm still amazed that people reserve games at Wal-Mart . it just baffles me . i guess Wal-Mart figures since GS/EB has taken over the top market share they need to try doing what has already been done successfully (wow, sounds like Sony)

i ended up ordering mine at GS to get the soundtrack disc when i buy my game

Miphesto
Oct 12, 2006, 09:53 PM
On 2006-10-12 17:44, bob0mb wrote:
Miphesto i find it funny how you are talking like you already have PSU in store, when specialty retailers don't have it . how is Wal-Mart going to have the game before GameStop/EB (because i'm pretty sure they are the biggest seller of video games in the US now)? only specific games with "street dates" are shipped in early (and yes WoW was one of those titles, as was Saint's Row, etc, etc)

i never stated that wal mart has it..and i find it funny how you know so much about 'specific titles' and which ones get released when, when u probably dont even have a job. and why would 'specialty stores' have priority over wal mart? we sell 10x more video games AND systems than any store within a 100 mile radius. (might be exaggerating a little) so wal mart would have priority OVER THEM if i were a video game developer...

your right though, there are 'early shipped' and 'ship dated' video games. if PSU is an early ship, then we will have it soon, and it will be released on the 24th, at 12am in 24hour stores. if it were released on the 17th, and it was early ship, we would have had it already...so theres still a chance for the 17th if it's a ship dated game.

if it is a ship dated product, it will come on either the 23rd, or on the 16th, via fedex, and it will be held until 12am the following morning, if we are a 24hour store...

that's my experienced educated information right there....u wont find any more accurate information based on release dates, unless it comes from a sega rep.

bob0mb
Oct 12, 2006, 11:12 PM
nice, Miphesto, i'm glad you think you know so much about the video game industry . i'll have you know i've been part of the industry now for more than 9 years, so i'm pretty sure i know a smidge more than you think

also, if you were to look at the industry sale reports for the last two quarters you would see that GS/EB outsold your precious Wal-Mart in the video game market

the flip side to your question - why would a "big box" retailer who only happens to sell electronics get priority over a company that only sells video games? funny how that might work out: company A sells video games and company B sells groceries, clothes, medicine, and oh yeah video games - who do i (as a game developer) choose to support?

but i'll let you think whatever makes you sleep better at night .... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Bleemo
Oct 12, 2006, 11:14 PM
On 2006-10-12 21:12, bob0mb wrote:
nice, Miphesto, i'm glad you think you know so much about the video game industry . i'll have you know i've been part of the industry now for more than 9 years, so i'm pretty sure i know a smidge more than you think

also, if you were to look at the industry sale reports for the last two quarters you would see that GS/EB outsold your precious Wal-Mart in the video game market

the flip side to your question - why would a "big box" retailer who only happens to sell electronics get priority over a company that only sells video games? funny how that might work out: company A sells video games and company B sells groceries, clothes, medicine, and oh yeah video games - who do i (as a game developer) choose to support?

but i'll let you think whatever makes you sleep better at night .... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

You forgot, my friend.

Walmart owns America.

bob0mb
Oct 12, 2006, 11:17 PM
truth Bleemo

Miphesto
Oct 13, 2006, 12:08 AM
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Miphesto on 2006-10-13 02:22 ]</font>

Sevenfold
Oct 13, 2006, 12:09 AM
*smells the flames*

mananas
Oct 13, 2006, 12:22 AM
*smells the methane*

bob0mb
Oct 13, 2006, 12:51 AM
wow, didn't know X's were numbers now . j/k . i know why you put them there

so, i decided to ask a few of my contacts who work at some big box retailers (Sam's Club, Costco, Target and *gasp* even Wal-Mart) how the overall sales at their stores are determined

now i'll be the first to admit that most of them work in upper management but one of them actually works in the electronics department . the resounding information i was given by all of them is that DVD's, TV's, stereos, games and any item found in the electronics department are lumped together to calculate that department's total sales . so i could in fact understand $XXXXX each day from the department

we can argue back and forth over this until the sun comes up or the cows come home (pick your favorite metaphor), but we both know that for every piece of information i can provide from inside the industry, you're going to reply with your own "educated" guesses from the mighty Wal-Mart . so i'm going to stop the e-beef here and go back to waiting for PSU to find it's way into my 360 by playing some PSO

Miphesto
Oct 13, 2006, 01:01 AM
wow, called my bluff...

yeah, w/o giving away too much information, i can tell u know ur stuff.....lets all hold hands and rejoice on the x360

Miphesto
Oct 13, 2006, 04:23 AM
On 2006-10-12 17:32, Miphesto wrote:
i think it's hilarious to see topics about wal mart all the timei know, the copies will not be released until at LEAST tuesday the 24th....because that's what it says on the box....the only thing that will change that is if we get notified via email not to release until the 27th, because is see they're advertisements saying oct. 27...but usually, new releases are released on tuesdays....that would be the 24th.