PDA

View Full Version : Character Save Files

CpwninOBrien
Oct 12, 2006, 07:04 PM
my magic 8-ball says not to hold ur breath http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

AlMcFly
Oct 12, 2006, 07:04 PM
Thought of this question in the shower, and it's a stretch, lol.

You know how some games, let you uninstall all files but ask if you want to keep the important stuff like game saves and character files? I was wondering if the Japanese game saves and/or character files were in some way compatible with the US game, considering it has the same makeup so to speak. Say you save your file info in another folder, then transfer after installing US edition, would anything register at all or will it just not recognize it whatsoever. I know there is no way to tell yet with this game but have recent import games been able to do this or have they mostly done away with any possibility?

A2K
Oct 12, 2006, 07:05 PM
I think you said it best yourself:

I know there is no way to tell yet with this game

Ether
Oct 12, 2006, 07:07 PM
What would be the point though? Story mode is worth playing through again in English, extra mode is worthless, and online characters are stored online and not locally on your computer

Razorback
Oct 12, 2006, 07:13 PM
way to long to read sorry

rekwiem
Oct 12, 2006, 07:15 PM
prolly not

Lovejuice
Oct 12, 2006, 07:17 PM
For the PC, your save file for story/extra goes in a 'psugame' file within a "SEGA/PHANTASY STAR UNIVERSE/BACKUP" folder, default location being your My Documents folder. Last time I uninstalled PSU the folder and file remained (the self explanatory folders of "SCREENSHOT" and "LOG" are also within this "PHANTASY STAR UNIVERSE" folder).

You can easily replace this file with other psugame files from anyone else, and it does not appear to be tied to the Segalink account/check or CD Key in any game disrupting way - you can play [JP] offline with anyone's [JP] psugame file - nor does it appear to be affected by client version (tested using a client 1.000 psugame on the current 1.004 offline client, and it worked fine).

We'll just have to wait and see if the psugame file will be 'region free', so to speak. But yeah, all of your online character data is totally server-side and extra mode is pretty.. er, bleurgh.

foamcup
Oct 12, 2006, 07:31 PM
I'm gonna make a new file to play story mode, but I don't see why the file wouldn't be compatible. I have Saturn and Dreamcast games that can use JP or NA save files.

If anyone is wondering the games are:

NiGHTS into Dreams
Christmas NiGHTS
Fighters Megamix
Marvel vs. Capcom
Power Stone 2