PDA

View Full Version : are you giving your character a background story

VanHalen
Oct 12, 2006, 07:23 PM
hey i hope im not the only one but when i create a new character for a game i like to make a little story about him/her. my PSU character's will be

(insert name here didnt think of one yet) is a 15 year old newman training to be a hunter. he became a guardian for adventure, pride, and the most important meseta. also he like to eat ramen

foamcup
Oct 12, 2006, 07:26 PM
I might. I had a sweet story for my HUnewearl way back when.

RamenEater
Oct 12, 2006, 07:27 PM
Mine is probably gonan be... Taiken from the world of Vanadiel of FFXI, its been many years since the world of vanadiel was wiped out by a meteor. Taiken was left alive because he can't die and now's he's back in all his Monk glory! Knuckles FTW!

Candor
Oct 12, 2006, 07:33 PM
My friends and I all had stories for PSO, ranging from a drunken HUmar, to an inept FOmar, and a HUcast with no way to communicate. So yea, I think we'll have backstories.

As far as my first PSU character, i only have the attitude; Female Beast, ain't no lady and doesn't take orders from anyone (unless they've got a good offer)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Candor on 2006-10-12 17:47 ]</font>

foamcup
Oct 12, 2006, 07:37 PM
How about a Cast that can only speak 1337? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif Would only work well on the PS2 or PC version.

A2K
Heh, they always do. Maybe not at first, but I eventually come up with something.

VanHalen
lol candor's background story seems interesting

@foamcup what was the story for the HUnewarl

Merc
Oct 12, 2006, 07:47 PM
I tried to do that with my characters at one time, but I have OCD so I always would change the story if it wasn't perfect.

foamcup
Oct 12, 2006, 07:58 PM
On 2006-10-12 17:37, VanHalen wrote:
lol candor's background story seems interesting

@foamcup what was the story for the HUnewarl

Ha, you'd have to ask that. I can't remember now. I just made it up one night, then mostly forgot about it. I can remember that she lost an eye in a bar fight with a human who was making racial slurs about newmen. The human died, so she considered it a fair trade.

VanHalen
Oct 12, 2006, 07:59 PM
i life for and eye i thinks thats a fair enough trade lol

i had a story for my GC characters there was mine VanHalen who was a 11 year old HUmar who strived to be the best hunter but couldnt, my sister's character E Death a HUnewarl of the same age who had a giant obbsession with money and purple weapons to match her purple clothes, my friends character a RAmar named Shadowkid who always got chased by boomas and 2x+3 who was a android created as a joke.
there were others that hated those charcters listed on other memory cards

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VanHalen on 2006-10-12 18:09 ]</font>

NightHour13
Oct 12, 2006, 08:02 PM
This, ladies and gentlemen is called Role Playing. Or at least a part of it. Then again..Why would you make up a story if you arnt going to RP. Self enjoyment? lol

My beast will have a story like so:

It was a stormy night when the golden platypus was in labor. It heaved a heavy fart-like sigh and barked once. Outcame Saner.

Then I just walked in and said "What the taco is going on here"

An epic story. Will saner be accepted in a such a cruel world? Will I ever find that damn bathroom i'v been looking for for 4 years? Last time im taking directions from a Dutch Accented Cast with a sombrero!

Banert
Oct 12, 2006, 08:05 PM
Of course! I always give my characters a back story, or an attitude in the least. No clue what it will be yet though...

I had originally planned to recreate my HUmar, but put him in cast form seeing as he was old and decrepit in PSO, but I've decided that a new game deserves a new character, and a new legacy, so who knows what'll happen.

Ninpo_Tamashii
Oct 12, 2006, 08:09 PM
I'm going to feel so Lost without my Reaping FOmar... ;_; But if the Soul Eater/Bansish doesn't come out guess I'll have to do like Banert and go out with the old-in-with-the-new, and do that HUnewman I've been wanting to do since day 1. (and of course a new backstory to go with it~~)

Mah 10 cents.

Chronosv2
Oct 12, 2006, 08:10 PM
I roleplay, so it's a definite yes--I will create a background story for my characters. Heck, I did it with PSO, no reason not to in PSU too.

Rizen
My character has a background...but im kinda working on it right now.

Foxix
actually all of my characters are connected through one yet to be written all encompassing story line that completely twists about the PSO series to the point where it's something different entirely.

in fact I have found that I have WAY too many characters... it's going to be tough to write... especially concidering the fact that I just came up with a prequal to help explain it all http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

VanHalen
Oct 12, 2006, 08:43 PM
cool im happy im not the only one who like to have fun with their characters

Foxix
Oct 12, 2006, 08:46 PM
oh I definitely like to have fun with my characters http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif considering that half of them end up going insane.... that or left dealing with some wicked mental problems. Man I feel like a jerk for putting my characters through so much.

Shye
Oct 12, 2006, 09:09 PM
I make an iteration of a specific character in every game I play which requires you to create a unique one. Each game is a thread in an ongoing story about that character. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

I'm really looking forward to PSU, especially in this regard.

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 12, 2006, 09:32 PM
I like talking about my hunter so here goes, 25 year old albino who was abused as a child, ran away from home, got lucky when a swordsman took him in, trained to become stronger and eventually killed his abusive father, and is now dedicated to perfecting his swordsmanship. for attitude, he's stoic, quiet, antisocial, and lacks compassion and most emotions but at the same time he's a nice man with a high sense of honor and justice.

Ezekiel06
Oct 12, 2006, 09:36 PM
You guys are a bunch of freakin' nerds...LOL...just kidding...I may have a story about how powerful I am and how all will fear me. (I'm gonna be a force)

Akaimizu
Oct 12, 2006, 09:46 PM
Actually, Funny enough. I was going to forgo the background story with Tynselle, but who am I kidding? A character lke that practically writes their own story. Anyway, to answer your question....too late... the background story is pretty much already done. I'm tempted to attempt to make a little comic with it. Mainly because I think the story would be a hoot. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif If I do, I'll let people know. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Haruka-sama
Oct 12, 2006, 10:26 PM
I don't RP with other people... tried that on RO, but I just can't get into it. However, I love making up stories for my characters just for my own enjoyment (the girl in my signature is my favorite character/backstory I have made so far). I would love to write some of them down someday seeing as my main character's story from PSO has evolved quite a bit, with this coming game acting as a kind of sequel to the first story I made up.... wish I was good at writing heh x_X I am looking forward to coming up with some new characters for this game also =)

BlueDagger
Oct 12, 2006, 10:45 PM
I always give my characters in any game(that lets me make my own character, of course) a back-story. Weather I actually roleplay or not depends on if people around me do.... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlueDagger on 2006-10-12 20:46 ]</font>

Bluecowbank
Oct 12, 2006, 11:21 PM
Most likely I will make one, but until then... I AM AISHA CLANCLAN OF THE KATARL KATARL EMPIRE!
Nuff said lol

Bluecowbank
Oct 12, 2006, 11:21 PM
Most likely I will make one, but until then... I AM AISHA CLANCLAN OF THE KATARL KATARL EMPIRE!
Nuff said lol

NightStorm
Oct 12, 2006, 11:56 PM
Nice to see so many of you folks actually create backstories. I had my whole guild write stories back on PSO and we interwove them. Then I started doing fanfiction with one of the members using all the chars and taking bits from actual occurances during missions we went on together. Anyone who would like to do something like that and is looking for a guild to join drop me a line. I'd love to trade ideas and get some new members. Email is.. [email protected]

Weak
Oct 12, 2006, 11:58 PM
Uh...

No... But if you like to, that's your deal. Just don't spend time typing out silly dramatic dialogue in the middle of a mission.

Trinitystar
Oct 12, 2006, 11:58 PM
I have made one for toon, I always do http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Sammy
Oct 13, 2006, 12:01 AM
But what if you can't live up to your characters repetoire?! You're actually going to be playing and acting as these chars! The pressure you'll have to put up with will be too great to handle, you won't be able to relax for a second or act naturally as you would in real life?! Where's the fun in that I ask! Where?!

trunkszero
Oct 13, 2006, 12:03 AM
Since the dc days i've givin my main 4 characters a backstory, especially since they've been the same character

Sevenfold
Oct 13, 2006, 12:10 AM
Back story is : I bought PSU, and now ..... I play it.

Pontifus
Oct 13, 2006, 12:43 AM
On 2006-10-12 20:26, Haruka-sama wrote:
...wish I was good at writing heh x_X

Don't ever get discouraged by things like intricate grammar and spelling. If you can tell a story (and I'm sure you can), that's good enough. To hell with grammar; you can fix that later if you want to. The hardest and most important part of writing is coming up with the story itself. All the technical things are just tools by which the story conveys itself. This applies to everyone here; just write, and write, and write some more, and something good will come of it.

Anyway, stepping down from the writer/English major soapbox...

Yeah, I guess I'll probably come up with a backstory. I always do, though it's never a conscious effort, and I only rarely write it down. I just can't help fleshing out my characters a little.

Nani-chan
Oct 13, 2006, 12:57 AM
My character will come out of the closet..

That's where I store my weapons when not on adventures fighting monsters.

Slace2k3
Oct 13, 2006, 01:19 AM
i have a light backstory for some of my characters, but I dont make a full story out of it (too busy killing and looking for rares:) ). My Hucast Mako ver5 is prototype android that runs off of mako energy, and uses the brain of a berserker who was killed in battle (like robocop), which in turn makes him a blood thirsty killing machine. and thats when the story stops and the rares come in...

ghaleonreborn
Oct 13, 2006, 01:20 AM
i think i might im not sure..

Xenofobia
Oct 13, 2006, 01:28 AM
Im thinking of Keep same story i hade on a char on pso

Kismet
Oct 13, 2006, 05:39 AM
Hmm. My main character may or may not have a story, I'm not sure yet. But I know that my female newman will.

VanHalen
Oct 13, 2006, 02:46 PM
Even though i like to create a background story for my characters (espically Van Halen's and his little friends and rivals) i never RP with them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif i think i might just write a huge story with them in it one day all my PSO characters that is