PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Universe DELAYED until 10.27.06?

Zero9teen
Oct 12, 2006, 11:00 PM
http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/151/picture1mc3.png

This is a screencap of my screen at IGN.com

What caught my eye, and what will catch yours, is the ad for PSU on the right. What's the attention-getter? A date three days later than the previous official release.

The game was meant to release 10.24.06, and now we have 10.27.06.

This could very well be because of Microsoft's Xbox Live downtime preventing SEGA from getting enough time to prepare servers...or it could be a typo...

From the looks of the ad, the delay would be for all platforms.

No change has been made to the official site, yet.

Obviously, small delays like this are very common, especially for online games...so I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up being true. I guess we'll know soon enough.

Sammy
Oct 12, 2006, 11:01 PM
I think I saw that ad before a beta was even announced. It must be a mistake on their part.

Reeve
Oct 12, 2006, 11:01 PM
this was posted yesterday, most people thought it was a mistake as the main site still had the normal date as did other retailers

Numnuttz
Oct 12, 2006, 11:02 PM
..... this has been posted now at least 3 times. dont know if you checked but if you look at the ign page for psu it says the 24th lol

HiKeRI
Hey, maybe i guess it'll not be released online mode? As in the delay to enter online mode..

Kireek101
hope it just stays till the 24th

A2K
Oct 12, 2006, 11:03 PM
The 24th is the shipping date. Stores will receive there copies afterward. "The 27th" is probably a catch-all date.

Zero9teen
Oct 12, 2006, 11:06 PM
I doubt it. The publisher always advertises the ship date as the release date. I work at a Gamestop, and I can tell you that if we don't get a game within one day of the ship-date, something with the distributor/publisher went terribly, terribly wrong.

Bleemo
Oct 12, 2006, 11:06 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=121089&forum=20&48

^ The link to the thread discussing this issue previously.

Note that it says "In stores." They are just giving a date when it will most definitely be available "in stores." The shipping date and availablity in stores date are two different expectations.

A2K
Oct 12, 2006, 11:08 PM
On 2006-10-12 21:06, Zero9teen wrote:
I doubt it. The publisher always advertises the ship date as the release date. I work at a Gamestop, and I can tell you that if we don't get a game within one day of the ship-date, something with the distributor/publisher went terribly, terribly wrong.

And something like Sears probably wouldn't get it until the 27th. If ever.

Sammy
Oct 12, 2006, 11:08 PM
If you work at Gamestop can't you just check their databases?

DrewSeleski
Oct 12, 2006, 11:09 PM
How about this: ign is about one of the shittiest places to get accurate game information from. PSU is not delayed.

Bleemo
Oct 12, 2006, 11:11 PM
On 2006-10-12 21:06, Zero9teen wrote:

The "shipping" date is definitely the 24th, right? Wouldn't it be funny if they said, "In stores Oct. 24th!"

Billy: "Mommy! PSU is out today, it's the 24th!
Mommy: "Okay Billy, let's go get it."
GameStop Clerk: "Dude, sorry. Stores won't be getting the game in until tomorrow."
Billy: "WAAAH IGN SAYS IT CAME OUT ON THE 24th!"
GameStop Clerk: "lol @ IGN"

That scenario is likely to happen if they said it was "in stores" on the shipping date.

Zero9teen
Oct 12, 2006, 11:18 PM
And that is exactly what does happen, unfortunately. On almost every release date for a big game I get tons of calls with people wondering why we didn't get it yet, because they saw the release date was "today." I have to tell them about the shipping all the time.

Some stores still do get games on the ship date...it all depends on what kind of shipping the corporation has ordered for it (this is determined by, for example, number of pre-orders).

I'm aware now that this has been seen before, so I'm sorry for bringing up old news.

It may very well be that SEGA was actually being smart, and made the "catch-all" date with plenty of leeway, but I've never seen it happen before - so it would be a first.

Just to be clear, I'm 90% confident the game is still scheduled to be released on it's set date of 10.24.

Zero9teen
Oct 12, 2006, 11:19 PM
Also...
I don't want people to think that I trusted any of this because it was on IGN. "Can't spell IGNorant without IGN, etc."
The ad has nothing to do with IGN..it just happened to be on that site.

Mag_Launcher
Oct 13, 2006, 12:01 AM
It will most likely be in the store by the afternoon on the 24th. It's usually labeled as a ship date if it's on a Monday, but since it's not, I'm fairly certain there will be a large number of stores with it that day.

And, well, games don't come out at all on Fridays. Not in the United States, at least, which is mainly what date it's referring to.