PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Slowdown (video)

watashiwa
Oct 13, 2006, 02:12 AM
I didn't want to ruin the screenshot & movie thread in case there were lots of replies to this video alone.. and not to rag on the PS2 or anything, but stridhiryu030363 from another forum made a video for PSU that demonstrates the slowdown seen on the PS2 version of the game.

I didn't want to ruin the screenshot & movie thread in case there were lots of replies to this video alone..

It's shot offline with a 4 person party in one of the ice levels..

You can view the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cJjjaZmyWU

It's basically just to educate people about the possible slowdown they might experience while playing the PS2 version.

Keep in mind, it's probably going to be quite a bit worse online with 6 person parties and a higher monster count.

Enjoy!

Beezzy
Oct 13, 2006, 02:28 AM
Yeah, Its not that bad... NICE vid though.. I'm lovin the envirorment. XBOX FTW.

Phalynx
Oct 13, 2006, 02:31 AM
She was also killing them in one shot, lowering the enemy count and the slowdown. Also the NPC's werent doing much, as aposed to 6 player characters. And the monsters not dying in one shot shooting ice or doing w/e. I can imagine it being pretty bad.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phalynx on 2006-10-13 00:31 ]</font>

Solma
Oct 13, 2006, 02:32 AM
Hmmm I think I can live with that untill I can afford a computer upgrade. Thanks for the video I've been wondering about the ps2 performance.

Ether
Oct 13, 2006, 02:35 AM
Woulda been better if she wasnt 1 shotting everything. When there were like 4 or 5 of those booma guys on screen it really started to chug though

Isn't Mizuraki Preserve even worse as far as slowdown goes though?

watashiwa
Oct 13, 2006, 02:37 AM
The slowdown gets worse in different pats of the video.. just depends on the number of enemies on the screen and what's going on, really. Human players will most likely use PAs a lot more.. plus the party online will be 6 people instead of 4 (like I said earlier) .. I think there's more enemies online as well.

So, yeah, it might get very annoying.. but hopefully if you have an ass kicking party, it won't be so bad. =P

EDIT: I agree about the one shot thing.. don't know if Mizuraki is better or worse, cuz I never got to this level on the PS2.. I didn't even get that far on the PS2 version..

Maybe I can ask him to make another video where he's not one shotting everything...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2006-10-13 00:39 ]</font>

Pitchshifter
Oct 13, 2006, 02:58 AM
There is a short (41 sec) one on Yahoo too. I don't know if it's slow down or if the weapons just take that long to change.

Anyways I can't link directly to the video so you will have to click to it.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/gamevideos?cid=1951017881&tab=videos&page=0&eid=-1

Just click the "watch" link under Game Play Movie 3 at the top, then when the player opens, at the bottom click on Game Play Movie 1 it's the one that don't have a screen shot with it (the other Game Play Movie 1's are PC and or XBox). When he switches weapons it seems to take about 3-4 seconds for them to show in his hands. Mostly notice it when he switches from a shotgun to 2 sabres at the end.

I don't see a link to open it to play Movie 1 on the site is the reason to click Movie 3 to open the player.

tyler2zelda
Oct 13, 2006, 05:05 AM
I don't mind that 3-4 second switch at all. I'm far used to that by now.
Looks like Ps2 won't be that bad, and they have fixed the slowdown slightly.

Episode1_GUY
Oct 13, 2006, 05:43 AM
Oh come on that slowdown is not that bad... ever played MMX8? THAT'S some bad slowdown =P

Miyoko
Oct 13, 2006, 06:02 AM
I'd imagine the weapon-switch-delay lag would be caused due to servers being halfway around the world... With servers in our back yard, I'd expect it to be faster.

SoujiSeta
Oct 13, 2006, 08:04 AM
On 2006-10-13 03:43, Episode1_GUY wrote:
Oh come on that slowdown is not that bad... ever played MMX8? THAT'S some bad slowdown =P

I don't mind RMX8's slowdown. It's the camera's inability to keep up with my speed that bothers me a lot.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SoujiSeta on 2006-10-13 06:54 ]</font>

2Deuce
Oct 13, 2006, 08:33 AM
::watches video::

That's it? HA!

That's nothing... Try running through Lower Jeuno or Aht Urghan Whitegate in FFXI.

I was slightly worried about the slowdown, thanks for posting the video http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

xzeekzx
Oct 13, 2006, 09:33 AM
i didnt think it was bad at all, not compared to a lot of games at the PS2, plus, they seem to be figuring out how to put it down a lot. Still can't wait for this game http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif