PDA

View Full Version : Managing PP as a Ranger?

unitx
Oct 14, 2006, 11:25 AM
Alright so I've been playing the beta as a ranger and I'm wondering how others manage their PP.

My problem is I usually blow through my PP shooting then end up having to switch to my saber to fight and since my rifle is unequiped the PP doesnt regen and it remains useless.

To get around this problem I'm thinking I could -
1. Carry lots of guns
2. Have alot of those PP regen items that cost 500 meseta each
3. Maybe the regen rate gets faster later on?
4 Maybe later on weapons have so much PP it becomes irrelevant?
5. Maybe I'm only supposed to use ranged when I need to?

So for anyone who has alot of experience in PSU as a hunter, just let me know what you usually do when out on a mission. Some of the things I said might be ridiculous but I cant really tell this early in the game.

Also, do bullets increase the PP drain?

Rizen
Oct 14, 2006, 11:27 AM
I think I posted a topic a while back about managing PP, anyway I think I also added it to my ranger post in my sig...let me see if I can dig it up...

Here it is: http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=119929&forum=20

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rizen on 2006-10-14 09:29 ]</font>

unitx
Oct 14, 2006, 11:31 AM
Ah, thank you. Nice guide.

Rizen
Oct 14, 2006, 11:34 AM
Np and Thanks, and it seems I did leave out the section of PP Management in my lil guide...let me add that to there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rizen on 2006-10-14 09:34 ]</font>

Itsuki
Oct 14, 2006, 11:38 AM
Later on, you end up switching to melee alot more because of the advantages of melee. For some monsters, range is just pointless. But by level 30-40, the melee slowly started to fade out. Right now, I'm more likely to point blank with a shotgun then I am to melee. Not that I don't melee, becuase I still bring 4 melee weapons along just in case. As a Ranger I was pretty well off with 2 rifles, 2 dualies, 2 single hand guns, 1 shotgun.

Rizen
Oct 14, 2006, 11:40 AM
On 2006-10-14 09:38, Itsuki-chan wrote:
LRight now, I'm more likely to point blank with a shotgun then I am to melee.

Same! Hi-Five!

-Shimarisu-
Oct 14, 2006, 12:02 PM
6. "not suck."

Chimeria
Oct 14, 2006, 12:34 PM
That sucks. I was gonna play majority of the game as a dual handgun weilder. So let me get this straight, PSU isnt like PSO where you can use a 3 shot combo all the time. Every shot uses PP or just the photon skills?

-Shimarisu-
Oct 14, 2006, 12:41 PM
On 2006-10-14 10:34, Chimeria wrote:
That sucks. I was gonna play majority of the game as a dual handgun weilder. So let me get this straight, PSU isnt like PSO where you can use a 3 shot combo all the time. Every shot uses PP or just the photon skills?

YES DEAR GOD HOW DARE THEY MAKE US USE AMMO

unitx
Oct 14, 2006, 12:41 PM
That would be correct. I kind of like it because it adds variety to the class.

Raide_the_3rd
Oct 14, 2006, 12:45 PM
Sounds about right, it's a bummer because I tried the game as a Cast and after buying a set of dual pistols I found my self running short of PP.

I think the key as a Ranger is to manage PP. For Soloing it would be wise to carry more dual pistols anyway.

Chimeria
Oct 14, 2006, 12:45 PM
On 2006-10-14 10:41, -Shimarisu- wrote:

On 2006-10-14 10:34, Chimeria wrote:

YES DEAR GOD HOW DARE THEY MAKE US USE AMMO

Well yeah, i guess it does add a little more challenge. As much as dual pistols sounds, i think i might just stick with a melee. I'll try out the handguns first though...

-Shimarisu-
Oct 14, 2006, 12:56 PM
Melee runs out of PP faster than RA if you want to deal enough damage to not keep needing to buy curatives.

Chimeria
Oct 14, 2006, 01:05 PM
jeez. so wait, i'm guessing PP stands for photon points? Which would decline after using photon arts, right? They drop after using regular attacks as well?

FateOfTheArt
Oct 14, 2006, 01:17 PM
Nope, melee only uses PP using PA's. You can avoid running out of PP as a melee if you learn to pace yourself and don't spam them on single mobs.

DevilsArm
Oct 14, 2006, 01:22 PM
i dont really have a big problem with PP as a ranger as of yet. im lvl 8 and i use dual handguns, the handgun/sword, the rifle, and a second rifle i found called the shinoh

-Shimarisu-
Oct 14, 2006, 01:23 PM
On 2006-10-14 11:17, FateOfTheArt wrote:
Nope, melee only uses PP using PA's. You can avoid running out of PP as a melee if you learn to pace yourself and don't spam them on single mobs.

Yet I found it much easier to conserve PP as a RA going solo than as a HU.

There's something to be said about not being hit and therefore not using up all your damn money you get soloing for money, therefore defeating the object. PA causes knockback and if you solo, you need knockback to not get hit. RAs get more PP, RAs get status ailment effects, RAs don't get hit half as much as HUs.

And yes, you can solo as RA, you just synth a whole bunch of daggers, grind em up to max, then shoot stuff with the gun til its stunned and smack the enemies at close range. And I found this used less PP/was less dangerous to my HP than soloing as a HU.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Shimarisu- on 2006-10-14 11:51 ]</font>

Chimeria
Oct 14, 2006, 01:24 PM
On 2006-10-14 11:17, FateOfTheArt wrote:

oh, ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

-Shimarisu-
Oct 14, 2006, 01:44 PM
The only problem you are likely to face as a RA is turning into a big emo case like LoneVandal.

Zarbolord
Oct 14, 2006, 01:47 PM
Don't waste PP on random easy enemies, or when 3 hunter based characters are killing the thing, unless it's a boss ofcourse http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

-Shimarisu-
Oct 14, 2006, 01:50 PM
On 2006-10-14 11:47, Zarbolord wrote:
Don't waste PP on random easy enemies, or when 3 hunter based characters are killing the thing, unless it's a boss ofcourse http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

BUT I WANT TO GET THE LAST HIT I MEAN I SHOULD I'M A GUY WITH A GUN

Chimeria
Oct 14, 2006, 01:52 PM
On 2006-10-14 11:44, -Shimarisu- wrote:
The only problem you are likely to face as a RA is turning into a big emo case like LoneVandal.

lol, I dont know who that is but i'm guessing he's "overly" emo.

-Shimarisu-
Oct 14, 2006, 02:01 PM
On 2006-10-14 11:52, Chimeria wrote:

On 2006-10-14 11:44, -Shimarisu- wrote:

lol, I dont know who that is but i'm guessing he's "overly" emo.

Only cause he's a RA, cmon be fair.

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=118991&forum=20
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=119727&forum=14

Chimeria
Oct 14, 2006, 02:17 PM
lol, wow he switched his opinion quick in those threads. I really dont care if RA's have low attack. My character will be fricken cool will dual handguns! i've been wanting duals since PSO on dreamcast.

Shadow_Wing
Oct 14, 2006, 02:24 PM
I find it also helps the PP to switch to a gun with low PP inbetween battle areas. It might be a small help, but I need all the PP I can get XD.

Itsuki
Oct 15, 2006, 12:50 AM
Dual handguns run out of PP probaly the fastest of all guns. Not a good thing to start out with, and probably not the greatest staple. Early on especially, a rifle is probably more useful to you.

And people have seriously been getting this misconception that rangers cannot solo. They actually solo really well. They may not be able to solo higher areas as early as the other classes, but once they can solo an area, they can fly through it at great speeds while taking minimal if even any damage at all.

-Shimarisu-
Oct 15, 2006, 01:06 AM
On 2006-10-14 22:50, Itsuki-chan wrote:
Dual handguns run out of PP probaly the fastest of all guns.

Er... dual handguns are among the most efficient.

Itsuki
Oct 15, 2006, 01:15 AM
I never said they weren't efficient, only that they run out of PP fast. Rifles shoot slower, use less PP over time. Shotguns shoot so slow they barely use any PP at all, plus they require alot of repositioning, which further lowers their PP usage. Handguns and Mechguns you don't use constantly, so they tend to keep PP for a long period of time.

Overall, you're going to run out of PP faster if you use all dualies as opposed to if you used all of something else as an early on ranger. Unless you restrain your shooting, which most people don't do.

-Shimarisu-
Oct 15, 2006, 01:19 AM
I use handguns and mechguns constantly.

Itsuki
Oct 15, 2006, 01:28 AM
But you have the money to do so. A low level ranger that can only afford to have 2-3 weapons isn't going to last an entirel level using dual handguns. Especially since their ATP is so low.

I'm not saying you can't make it work, only that you have to actually make it work. While going a mix of rifles and single hand weapons is more effective until you have the meseta and atp to support yourself.

Anyways, thats my last post on the subject.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Itsuki-chan on 2006-10-14 23:28 ]</font>