PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Beta on Dial-up....... Verdict so far

xenokai
Oct 14, 2006, 11:51 AM
I downloaded it at my friends house on his dsl last night. And played it on my dial up............ (Can't get DSL or any high speed here)

I'm happy to say it actually plays and Ive never had a problem logging in. (Which that could because the server where fixed?) But Ive not lagged out yet but it does seem to have lag to it.

But it IS playable, and since ill be playing the PC ver I'm guessing the server will not require as much bandwidth since there no people voice chatting to lag it. The people wondering if the PC version will work on dial up I'm happy to say I'm sure it will.

But picking up items will have lag and party members will warp around more. I'm not sure if the people warping thing is just dial up but i just figure it is.

Loading screen seem to load a bit longer. i prob just jinxed it but i just wanted to share this info to the unfortunate people that cant get DSL like me.

Time to get flamed for just trying to give people info =/

Spellbinder
Oct 14, 2006, 11:53 AM
Not to flame you, but alot of people already assumed this from the fact that PSO:BB ran smoothly for users on Dial-up. That, and the fact that people have been saying it would work over and over everytime this topic is mentioned. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Dhylec
Oct 14, 2006, 11:56 AM
Again, your post is just to reconfirm what many people have said many times in your many previous similar topics. It's playble, but not recommended. ;]

xenokai
Oct 14, 2006, 12:00 PM
People told me all kinda stories so i had to see for my self some said it doesnt work at all some said u cant even hit monsters, others said you warp alot. This post was just to kinda give the othere dial up people that dont have a 360 a taste of what to exspect running froma US server

CrazySwayzee
Oct 14, 2006, 12:35 PM
the xbox 360 doesn't have a fax modem for you to connect a dialup connection to it, how do you do it?

Kou-Diacyper
Oct 14, 2006, 12:39 PM
I was wondering the same thing.

xenokai
Oct 14, 2006, 12:53 PM
I hook it to my pc and share my dial up connection lol Its really easy and i could hook it up in 2 mins lol

StanleyPain
Oct 14, 2006, 01:13 PM
If PSU does work reasonably well with a dial-up, I would be impressed. It would mean the game is engineered well. Considering that PSO on the Dreamcast was perfectly fine with dial-up 56k, I see no reason why this game can't run just as well with dial-up. The lag issues so far in the beta are roughly what busy nights were like in the old PSO days. Only, it seems like now the servers are much better. In the DC days, when your party started really lagging behind and damage on enemies started to be delayed by several seconds, you KNEW there was a disconnect coming.
So far, I have yet to be disconnected. I'm using high-speed DSL, but if this functions with dial-up, that's be interesting.

CrazySwayzee
Oct 14, 2006, 01:29 PM
Im in wonder how you managed to download the 900mb Beta with a dial-up connection.

StanleyPain
Oct 14, 2006, 01:31 PM
If you read his post, someone else DLed for him....he probably just put it on a USB stick or something and moved it over.

physic
Oct 14, 2006, 01:38 PM
xbox isnt pc though, i suggest you stick with xbox if the dial up connect worked, maybe they put more on xbox since it connected without and insane amount o trouble, its possible they made the ps2/pc versions handle server stuf differently

xenokai
Oct 14, 2006, 02:02 PM
my friends are gonna be on pc so im going to that. I wish my friend had a 360 because thats gonna be the best version no doubt.

qoxolg
Oct 14, 2006, 02:06 PM
hey xenokai! I remeber you http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif already levled up?

xenokai
Oct 14, 2006, 03:21 PM
oh hey! qoxolg! nah i took a small break to lets my cousin play a game. But ill try to level more! Also to the people confused qoxolg is someone i meet playing psu on dial up today xD

qoxolg
Oct 14, 2006, 04:06 PM
hmm, my dad accidently pulled some cables out of the modem, so I got disconnected.. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif now I can't log in anymore, the servers are all full

Sonic646
Oct 14, 2006, 04:27 PM
How about this one, stay off the game with your crappy dial-up connection! Nobody wants to play with a laggy dial-up guy. I don't care if you can't get/afford anything faster, go play Diablo or Starcraft or something and leave my high-speed Xbox Live alone.

Tystys
Oct 14, 2006, 04:37 PM
meh I don't get it. I have a pretty fast connection myself, but I keep seeing people teleport from one side of the screen to the other. What the hell..

xenokai
Oct 14, 2006, 04:50 PM
Sonic646 SUCK MY &@#@! Ill be on PSU all i want. Cant stand people like you who is so dam spoiled

BioWarrior
Oct 14, 2006, 04:54 PM
On 2006-10-14 14:27, Sonic646 wrote:
How about this one, stay off the game with your crappy dial-up connection! Nobody wants to play with a laggy dial-up guy. I don't care if you can't get/afford anything faster, go play Diablo or Starcraft or something and leave my high-speed Xbox Live alone.

I don't think dial-up users would care if it slows you down to be honest, especially since in some areas DSL and Cable still isn't offered.

CrazySwayzee
Oct 14, 2006, 05:05 PM
On 2006-10-14 14:50, xenokai wrote:
Sonic646 SUCK MY &@#@! Ill be on PSU all i want. Cant stand people like you who is so dam spoiled

don't pick your fights, who cares if he doesn't like dial-up users.

why should you care about what Sonic646 says anyways?

Coxy
Oct 14, 2006, 11:42 PM
Don't bother replying guys, he obviously wants the reaction to his comment

I'd be happy to play with you on the 360 to see how well it copes with a 56ker and broadband players

Hajile
Oct 15, 2006, 12:42 AM
So i guess for lag issues , you would worry more about graphix type lag then connection speed's somewhat ;d

I was wondering did you try a full party on dial-up?

Sonic646
Oct 15, 2006, 10:39 AM
On 2006-10-14 14:54, BioWarrior wrote:

I don't think dial-up users would care if it slows you down to be honest, especially since in some areas DSL and Cable still isn't offered.

Of course they won't care. That's why they're attempting to play graphic-intensive next-gen games online with a dial up connection that will more than likely ruin the experience for everyone using a high-speed like they're supposed to.

Diablohead
Oct 15, 2006, 11:22 AM
On 2006-10-15 08:39, Sonic646 wrote:

Of course they won't care. That's why they're attempting to play graphic-intensive next-gen games online with a dial up connection that will more than likely ruin the experience for everyone using a high-speed like they're supposed to.

Graphics mean nothing to ping, its all about how the netcode is.

And your attitude realy sucks :/

xenokai
Oct 15, 2006, 12:07 PM
On 2006-10-14 22:42, Hajile wrote:
So i guess for lag issues , you would worry more about graphix type lag then connection speed's somewhat ;d

I was wondering did you try a full party on dial-up?

cant seem to find a 6 man party but ive played in a 4 man party lol

xenokai
Oct 15, 2006, 12:09 PM
On 2006-10-15 08:39, Sonic646 wrote:

Graphics have nothing to do with how a games online connection functions. Get your facts straight before you start flaming someones thread.

VioletSkye
Oct 15, 2006, 12:59 PM
Instead of flaming each other, how about those of you with dialup that are able to play online give us info about how well it plays. I'd like to get the following data if possible: Connection Speed
ISP
Ping times to YAHOO.COM
In your opinion how bad does the lag appear to be? Is your character (or other characters) warping around the screen?
Does the lag appear to be worse in larger parties?
Try to get info from others in your party as to what they are witnessing your charcater doing.
Also ask them if in their opinion it is ruining their gameplay experience.

Jaleigha
Oct 15, 2006, 01:26 PM
If dial-up users is ruining some BB users game play, its a simple fix. They don't have to game together. I had BB and moved to the country where I could only get dial-up (and even AoL didn't have an access number for me here). I am very lucky as a very teeny tiny cable company came in and gave us cable and highspeed. (I'm still wondering just how many chicken farmers use/need that highspeed). When I say teeny tiny I mean it, my town only consist of less the 2k people (the whole county is less then 30k and they only service my county.). Anyway, I would love for dial-up to be able to access the game also, it only means a larger player base. There are many parts of the country(s) that still don't have highspeed.

And besides, a year down the road those dial-up uses might get broadband available to them. They'll have a step up on the game, already being in it and not starting in a game new a year later.

I have patience and willing to game with any dia-up users (having been there before myself).

LocGaw
Oct 15, 2006, 01:58 PM
If you got your 360 up and running on dial up, great!! I always thought there was a speed restriction on live...
So I did some looking and aperantly it has somthing to do with latency... Hope you enjoy the game!

xenokai
Oct 15, 2006, 02:42 PM
On 2006-10-15 10:59, VioletSkye wrote:
Instead of flaming each other, how about those of you with dialup that are able to play online give us info about how well it plays. I'd like to get the following data if possible: Connection Speed
ISP
Ping times to YAHOO.COM
In your opinion how bad does the lag appear to be? Is your character (or other characters) warping around the screen?
Does the lag appear to be worse in larger parties?
Try to get info from others in your party as to what they are witnessing your charcater doing.
Also ask them if in their opinion it is ruining their gameplay experience.

The gameplay is kinda random depending on who your with. i was ina part with 4 other people and it played but 3 of them where using voice chat which really lagged me BAD! but wince im getting the pc version we will have to wait and see how its gonna go but im gnna anwser ur questions 1 by 1 here.....

1. I get on at 44k - 46.6k

2. People PC

3. not to sure how to ping to yahoo. But when i check most games my ping is usally 300-600 maybe more or less sometimes.

4. The lag is very up and down. Example: Im not gonna lie. If people are using alot of (voice chat) its ectremly hard to play due to the lag simple because dial up cant hold 3 or 4 people chatting and run the game. But when people are using the keyboard i get about a Second delay in attack. which isnt to bad and its playable. (not sure if thats because it beta and the servers may be flooded) Ive only played in a 5 player game but 3 of the people had mics =/ But since the pc version doesnt have in game voice chat maybe it wont require as much bandwidth. Also depending on when your playing like at high peak time the loading between city floors seem to be longer at times and shorter at time. And for your question about your charater warping around screen im happy to say the walking of the char is not done on the server. (Like on guild wars if you lagged your charater would warp back a few steps on PSU it done completly client side with the walking.) However on this beta (and maybe the full game) the other party charater seem to warp alot as they move instead of walking. that could be normal for this beta?

5. ive already tryed to anwser the party one but ive only been in a 5 man party and 3 of them had mics like i said i will try to get a 6 man keyboard party going since voice chat kill my connection.

6. I will try to see what they say but ive never really heard them complain about my lag but i do lag. Im just wondering if the walking warping is normal for these servers? because its awlways doing it even for the 5 mins i played on my friends DSL it did that. can anyone confirm?

7. I will ask them next time i can.

I will try to make a small 20 to 30 sec video to show how it plays on dial up.

HolyCecil
Oct 15, 2006, 02:50 PM
I'm glad to know PSU ran on dial-up as well. I have a DSL connection but it's really random and its speed switches constantly which has proved problematic at times. I'm glad to know if dial-up users can play this game ok, then I should have no problems.

Also, I agree with Jaleigha, I remember the days when dial-up was the only thing available. My internet is less than perfect now, especially in comparison to cable users. I know how frustrating it is to be in that situation when the internet just isn't working to your liking. Therefore, I am more than sympathetic to those who play on dial-up, and I'm glad SEGA has made the game accessible to those with dial-up because there are still many that don't have highspeed internet as an option.

Xeraphim
Oct 15, 2006, 06:20 PM
I understand where you're coming from with a wacky DSL. Mine's really unstable sometimes and randomly jumps, which annoys me, but I've got no doubt I'll be able to handle it on my connection. I played PSO just fine on dial up before, but I can say I'd be worried about it now. I mean, PSO was quite a few years ago.

xenokai
Oct 15, 2006, 07:47 PM
Here's a Video i just made of it running on dial up. I coulding get all the load screen because it would make the video to long i managed to get the first 1. But my camara has a 20 sec video recorder since its made for pictures. So the quailty is kinda crappy but its enough to show ya. http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c163/Xenokai/?action=view&current=360PSUondialup.flv

CpwninOBrien
Oct 15, 2006, 07:53 PM
lol nice work bro http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

VioletSkye
Oct 15, 2006, 09:33 PM
Thank you xenokai, that was actually very interesting. It seemed to me to at least be playable and if it doesn't seem to bother the broadband users than all the better http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

solidsolo
Oct 15, 2006, 09:57 PM
On 2006-10-14 15:05, CrazySwayzee wrote:

On 2006-10-14 14:50, xenokai wrote:

don't pick your fights, who cares if he doesn't like dial-up users.

why should you care about what Sonic646 says anyways?

he has a point though.. dial up people can really mess up a group.

CpwninOBrien
Oct 15, 2006, 10:02 PM
ya their is kick option thankfully if there killin ur vibe to much http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

MXdude
Oct 15, 2006, 10:39 PM
I didnt know you could even use xbl with dial up O.o

oronll
Oct 15, 2006, 11:07 PM
how are you on xbl with dail up anyway?

Killuminati
Oct 15, 2006, 11:18 PM
On 2006-10-15 20:39, MXdude wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out how he set it up the way he said he did.

CpwninOBrien
Oct 15, 2006, 11:19 PM
i think he has lan card in his tower http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

oronll
Oct 15, 2006, 11:35 PM
well if he does thats goes against the XBL TOS .. and he just posted his IP adress in a VID! lol .. youre going down buddy! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

but seriously he is ruining it for every one else doing that .. not just with PSU ..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: oronll on 2006-10-15 21:36 ]</font>

Genobee
Oct 16, 2006, 12:42 AM
Dail up? christ, do you run windows 98 and use floppys too?

February
Oct 16, 2006, 12:47 AM
looks a little glitchy, but not too bad. Totally looks playable. This gives up to all (Both?) of the dial up users here.

Hajile
Oct 16, 2006, 12:51 AM
This isnt like a FPS where when you make a room and your connection host's the game, so he's not ruining it for everybody.

Bleemo
Oct 16, 2006, 12:51 AM
On 2006-10-15 22:42, Genobee wrote:

Dial-up is still widely used. It's great if you need really cheap access to the internet.

Less and less gamers are using it though, simply because games have become too reliant on connection speed to play with dial-up.

I'm actually not surprised myself at PSU running well with dial-up. Anyway, it's great that you can run it man. This thread should give a heads up to dial-up users wanting to play PSU.

xenokai
Oct 16, 2006, 02:15 AM
On 2006-10-15 21:18, Killuminati wrote:

On 2006-10-15 20:39, MXdude wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out how he set it up the way he said he did.

its easy really here a guide i wrote before... http://www.360-hq.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=3884#3884 But like i said the game is nearly unplayble if people start voice chatting with 2 or 3 people. Since pc ver has no voice chat im hoping it will run better. But its playble on dial up on 360 and id be happy to get anyone with dial up and a 360 hooked up just message me.

Genobee
Oct 16, 2006, 02:18 AM
On 2006-10-15 22:51, Bleemo wrote:

On 2006-10-15 22:42, Genobee wrote:

Dial-up is still widely used. It's great if you need really cheap access to the internet.

Less and less gamers are using it though, simply because games have become too reliant on connection speed to play with dial-up.

I'm actually not surprised myself at PSU running well with dial-up. Anyway, it's great that you can run it man. This thread should give a heads up to dial-up users wanting to play PSU.

So are VCR's and CD players but it still doesn't make them good

xenokai
Oct 16, 2006, 02:30 AM
its like heaven if its the only internet you can get. hehe no really its really annoying not to be able to get DSL even if you can afford it. (Dont ever move to kentucky its worse then it seems)

HolyCecil
Oct 17, 2006, 06:17 PM
its like heaven if its the only internet you can get. hehe no really its really annoying not to be able to get DSL even if you can afford it. (Dont ever move to kentucky its worse then it seems)

Honestly. One of the first things I'm going to ask when I move to a new apartment is the internet service. If it's crappy, it's time to look for a new place.

d0x
Oct 17, 2006, 07:33 PM
very interesting considering the xbox live protocol checks your connection speed during authentication and if you dont meet the minimum 128kbps it wont let you connect...simply amazing!

FenixStryk
Oct 17, 2006, 07:37 PM
Why and how you're using dial-up is beyond me, but at least it still works for you. Whatever floats your boat.