PDA

View Full Version : Xbox and there own server...Good or bad?

Hrithmus
Oct 14, 2006, 12:03 PM
This really makes no sense. Why will Xbox users be on there own server?? Is it due to server problems? Or the fact that they think so many Xbox users will be online that the servers will just lag? I’ll be on PS2. We have been playing with PC people for a long long time. Every since FFXI and Socom I believe. I know a few people who are just picking up the Xbox version just to be on there own server. I can’t wait to see how many people actually play the Xbox version. And if this was a good or bad idea.

PS: Why are Xbox users always the outcast?

Rizen
Oct 14, 2006, 12:06 PM
Main reason is the Voice Chat feature that others dont have. Plus Microsoft likes having its seperate stuff.

Kismet
Oct 14, 2006, 12:08 PM
You know what? I was wondering that myself. It'd be nice to play with the 360 users... =(

My best guess at the moment is that it's because the 360's graphics engine is so good, that it'd make things complicated for PS2 users. But I don't really think that's it either.

Maybe it's because Microsoft wants to be a bitch and take all of your money. =/ (I mean, plus the fee, the game IS ten dollars more on the 360 since it's a game for a new-gen console.)

Hrithmus
Oct 14, 2006, 12:10 PM
That's what i was thinking Kismet. I don't think it was because of the voice chat. So people would pick being able to voice chat over playing with 1000+ people?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hrithmus on 2006-10-14 10:10 ]</font>

mogshaz
Oct 14, 2006, 12:12 PM
Its because Xbox live is a closed network of gamers. Thats why you pay them a yearly fee so that they can provide updates and Demos for their console. Its about regulating a community. There already is an operating system where there are no limits on internet gaming. Its called: PC. which happens to be the polar opposite of what they are doing with xbox live.

Rizen
Oct 14, 2006, 12:14 PM
On 2006-10-14 10:08, Kismet wrote:
My best guess at the moment is that it's because the 360's graphics engine is so good, that it'd make things complicated for PS2 users. But I don't really think that's it either.

I doubt it would have anything to do with that as well...I mean, you can have two computers are extremely different, one having the bare minimum and the other having the best parts out yet, and still play on the same server.

And yeah, people would choose to have voice chat over playing with many others sadly.

Kismet
On 2006-10-14 10:12, mogshaz wrote:
Its because Xbox live is a closed network of gamers. Thats why you pay them a yearly fee so that they can provide updates and Demos for their console. Its about regulating a community. There already is an operating system where there are no limits on internet gaming. Its called: PC. which happens to be the polar opposite of what they are doing with xbox live.

Ah, I see. Gah, it's for reasons like that that I hate the 360 even MORE now! >=(

unbreakable
Actually, I would pick voice chat over playing with a mere 1000+ more people. I'm satisfied with the huge user base that will be playing the 360 version.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: unbreakable on 2006-10-14 10:14 ]</font>

Aberu
Oct 14, 2006, 12:15 PM
Back in the day, the NES was released, and Nintendo enforced a lockout chip into each cartridge. This was mainly so they were the only ones who could manufacture and distribute cartridges, so all games had to be approved by them, and they had control over what was distributed for play on their system. This gave out an air of quality for almost all Nintendo games. I look at Xbox Live! service in the same light. They just want to ensure a consistent gaming experience for online gaming with them. All games have voice chat, all games do points to their profiles, etc... If they shared servers, the only way of doing this would be for the PS2 and PC versions to be on the Live! servers, and that is defenitely not an option for Microsoft, since why would they pay for the PS2 players?

Kismet
Oct 14, 2006, 12:16 PM
I like people, so I wouldn't pick voice chat over a lot of people. That's just... weird, in my opinion. But hey, everyone has different likes and dislikes.

Hrithmus
Oct 14, 2006, 12:20 PM
I see good point guys. But I thought Xbox was all about building a community, not expanding it??? So they lie in there ad’s then? Don’t get me wrong I love Microsoft. I just don’t understand why Xbox is all about online games and then separates them self’s with everyone else.

mogshaz
Oct 14, 2006, 12:20 PM
On 2006-10-14 10:15, Aberu wrote:
Back in the day, the NES was released, and Nintendo enforced a lockout chip into each cartridge. This was mainly so they were the only ones who could manufacture and distribute cartridges, so all games had to be approved by them, and they had control over what was distributed for play on their system. This gave out an air of quality for almost all Nintendo games. I look at Xbox Live! service in the same light. They just want to ensure a consistent gaming experience for online gaming with them. All games have voice chat, all games do points to their profiles, etc... If they shared servers, the only way of doing this would be for the PS2 and PC versions to be on the Live! servers, and that is defenitely not an option for Microsoft, since why would they pay for the PS2 players?

this is basically what i was going to say, but i would have said it with mispelled words and bad grammer.

A2K
Oct 14, 2006, 12:35 PM
For PSU, specifically, I think it has more to do with having a separate sign-in system and how it "plugs-in" into the game servers from the rest. Japanese PC and PS2s sign in with a SEGA link ID, American and European PC and PS2s use PlaySega, and all Xbox 360 users use Xbox Live.

CrazySwayzee
Oct 14, 2006, 12:38 PM
On 2006-10-14 10:20, Hrithmus wrote:
I see good point guys. But I thought Xbox was all about building a community, not expanding it??? So they lie in there ad’s then? Don’t get me wrong I love Microsoft. I just don’t understand why Xbox is all about online games and then separates them self’s with everyone else.

because Microsoft want's you to join their community so THEY can get more bang for your buck.

in other words, they want you to join the xbox 360 community not have the PC played and PS2 players to join. because then, you wouldn't need to buy a 360 to play with 360 players, and that doesn't sit well with the big guys and Microsoft

A2K
Oct 14, 2006, 12:52 PM

I wouldn't call it the polar opposite at this point, especially with things like Valve Corporation's Steam or Square Enix's PlayOnline (not to mention Microsoft's own Live Anywhere for Vista). Don't get me wrong, though, I mean as a whole it's still quite decentralized and will likely stay that way for some time, but there are several "hubs" cropping up.

mogshaz
Oct 14, 2006, 12:56 PM
On 2006-10-14 10:52, A2K wrote:

I wouldn't call it the polar opposite at this point, especially with things like Valve Corporation's Steam or Square Enix's PlayOnline (not to mention Microsoft's own Live Anywhere for Vista). Don't get me wrong, though, I mean as a whole it's still quite decentralized and will likely stay that way for some time, but there are several "hubs" cropping up.

Yes, Systems like Gamespy have been around for a while aswell. The real difference is how strictly organized it is on the 360. Just last week there was plenty of talk about why the PSU demo got delayed. Like people said everything on Xbox live has to be certified by microsoft. So i may have been exaggerating when i said "polar opposite" but people pay for xbox live and if they didn't like the organization they wouldn't hand Microsoft their money.

Saigan
Oct 14, 2006, 01:15 PM
The Xbox live excuse for the lack of cross console isn't valid. FFXI goes across PS2/PC/360. Also, USB headsets have been around for YEARS so the other systems could have voice chat if ST wished. I think that MSFT simply wants it to have private servers.

I personally will be on PS2 despite having a 360. I remember how neglected PSOX was. They got, what? Central Dome Fire Swirl?