PDA

View Full Version : PS2 and updates...

tyler2zelda
Oct 14, 2006, 12:46 PM
How does ST plan on getting updates to us PS2 users? Sure, they had a little trouble getting updates for PS2 people on FFXI, but having to buy something so you can update? (I'm not sure if you actually have to buy updates from a store, I just heard it from someone)

I think things could, and possibly will, get a little... ugly. It's bad enough with the small slowdown problems, but the updates? ST better find out something soon...

Off topic: I actually have a copy of FFXI for PC, but I don't have a credit card. Too bad, it came with 2 expansion packs...

Kismet
Oct 14, 2006, 12:48 PM
I think they will be stored on/sent to your memory card.

tyler2zelda
Oct 14, 2006, 12:50 PM
But the memory card is only 8mb big... an update for WoW to fix one glitch was 125mb...

I still have no idea how ST will pull this one off.

Kismet
Oct 14, 2006, 12:52 PM
On 2006-10-14 10:50, tyler2zelda wrote:
But the memory card is only 8mb big... an update for WoW to fix one glitch was 125mb...

I still have no idea how ST will pull this one off.

Oh. O_O Well, in that case, I have no idea. XD Maybe ST doesn't really plan to update PSU?

tyler2zelda
Oct 14, 2006, 12:55 PM
We may never know...
--------------------------------------------------
Here's my idea on how they could do it...
A disc that content can be added to, so you can upload stuff from the server into the disc. That's my only guess on what they could possibly do.

(Edited because can't double post)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tyler2zelda on 2006-10-14 11:03 ]</font>

AlphaMinotaux
Oct 14, 2006, 01:13 PM
everything is on the game disk already, everything is saved server side so only a few lines of code are needed to be saved to the memory card regulate what happens in the online world?

MattMattic
Oct 14, 2006, 01:13 PM
I know that Socom 3 on ps2 allowed you to download new maps and updates to a usb thumb drive. Maybe ST will do the same.

tyler2zelda
Oct 14, 2006, 01:16 PM
Someone told me that online stuff would be on the server already, but what about offline and extra? If you need a USB thumb drive, I'm gonna be pissed...

mogshaz
Oct 14, 2006, 01:16 PM
On 2006-10-14 11:13, MattMattic wrote:
I know that Socom 3 on ps2 allowed you to download new maps and updates to a usb thumb drive. Maybe ST will do the same.

Or they could have been daring and supported the ps2 HD. just a thought.

xzeekzx
Oct 14, 2006, 01:17 PM
maybe the updates are on the server? because i dont think they plan on updating the offline mode? The online mode stuff is on the server, like missions- thats why they can get laggy. So perhaps its through the servers, and not much will be saved to your card at all. They should have used the HDD tho ><

Hrithmus
Oct 14, 2006, 01:18 PM
My guess is that they will compress the files for PS2 users. Actually ill bet money on it. They know we will be using the memory card. They compressed updates for socom, think they got it down to 3MB.

MattMattic
Oct 14, 2006, 01:18 PM
It was just a thought about the usb drive. I'm not sure how they will be doing it

Foxix
Oct 14, 2006, 01:19 PM
all the content is either on the disc already or is going to be in an expansion pack http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif they will just release it at regular intervals and make tweaks to balance the game out as they see fit. Updates for glitches and erros will all be done server side since thats really where the online game takes place http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

CpwninOBrien
Oct 14, 2006, 01:19 PM
its on offisial FAQ, they workin on expansion disc right now, thats how they doin updates

tyler2zelda
Oct 14, 2006, 01:24 PM
But what about teh extra mode!? lol

Seriously, that's gonna be a tricky part.

Foxix
Oct 14, 2006, 01:29 PM
well its all on the disc anyway right? they realease a small patch saying "unlock this and this and that" If I can download quests from a private server on PSO for offline play I am sure sega can do something about it.

tyler2zelda
Oct 14, 2006, 01:32 PM
Just one last question, is there any form of offline multiplayer? Like Extra mode or something?
I'd be cool if they released a patch or something to enable offline multiplayer for up to 4 players... good times, they were.

Foxix
Oct 14, 2006, 01:33 PM
I guess its possible for a patch to come out, but for right now it's just one player only. Even for offline extra mode play http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Foxix on 2006-10-14 11:34 ]</font>

physic
Oct 14, 2006, 01:34 PM
there will either be no updates for extra mode, or they will be simple unlock commands. When you play it, you ll see offline mode wont have a great deal of things online has. And compression wont allow you to store much more info.
Basically as has been said in the past, they will simply not have as much new content as can be available in say ffxi or wow. (per buying a new expansion)

Foxix
Oct 14, 2006, 01:36 PM
On 2006-10-14 11:34, physic wrote:
there will either be no updates for extra mode, or they will be simple unlock commands. When you play it, you ll see offline mode wont have a great deal of things online has. And compression wont allow you to store much more info.
Basically as has been said in the past, they will simply not have as much new content as can be available in say ffxi or wow. (per buying a new expansion)

I do believe there will be offline quests. After all like I daid before, if I can download and save quests to my mem card from some private server, like central fire swirl on the game cube, I think ST will be able to think of something.

Kyuu
Oct 14, 2006, 01:43 PM
As far as we know, Sega has no plans to update the offline Story or Extra modes at all, currently. Online updates are all done online, without any need for the user to download anything to his/her client.

Foxix
Oct 14, 2006, 01:45 PM
On 2006-10-14 11:43, Kyuu wrote:
As far as we know, Sega has no plans to update the offline Story or Extra modes at all, currently. Online updates are all done online, without any need for the user to download anything to his/her client.

Right so your saying that that expansion pack they are planning is online only?

hans4
Oct 14, 2006, 02:19 PM
ummm itll happen exatly like runescape,since everything(ur chater,wepons EVERYTHING!!!)is saved on sega's server's they will just update the servers

Ryudo
Oct 14, 2006, 03:13 PM
On 2006-10-14 11:45, Foxix wrote:

On 2006-10-14 11:43, Kyuu wrote:

Right so your saying that that expansion pack they are planning is online only?

There is no expansion pack, chapter one of Illuminas no Yabou was released online the other day.

MonsterMaster
Oct 17, 2006, 01:41 PM
i heard that all the updates are all ready on the cd they just have to active them

rena-ko
Oct 17, 2006, 01:47 PM
everything for the game is on disk. patches will be with hex values and will be streamed directly into the console's RAM each time you log into the servers. this will only be for online mode - ST will and can not care for offline modes. thus the seperation.

those 'patches' will be on the fly and vanish again when you switch the console off - they wont fix texture or model-issues, just gameplay issues like rates, stats and values.
so dont expect anything that >looks< new.

if they'd store them on memcard or anywhere else, one could easily hack into them and affect online mode this way, so there wont be anything saved.

other than that, its not sure how much data is stored on the server anyway. damage gets calculated by the server, thats for sure so far. so everything else, exp and drop tables could be stored serversiden too - and easily to patch.

other than that, i guess i'd bet on that they'll release a v2 or expansion disk in the near future for the ps2 - maybe have that downloadable for pc and 360.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2006-10-17 11:48 ]</font>