PDA

View Full Version : Protranser!

Rizen
Oct 14, 2006, 12:48 PM
I am considering that it uses alot of the weapons i like...also the fact that im interested in traps.

afcakey
Oct 14, 2006, 12:48 PM
Just curious if anyone is even considering this? If so why?

Kismet
Oct 14, 2006, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't be protranser, because in my personal opinion, protranser seems sort of like a weak version of a fighgunner since they have no S-rank weapons and no techniques.

But, as Rizen said, traps are interesting. THAT one fact makes them valuable to a party on missions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kismet on 2006-10-14 10:51 ]</font>

Rizen
Oct 14, 2006, 12:51 PM
Dont forget that have low stats as well.

Metempsychic
Oct 14, 2006, 12:52 PM
Don't underestimate traps.

Protransers have the unique ability in that they're one of the most versatile classes.

Kismet
Oct 14, 2006, 12:59 PM
To give an example of what protransers are good for...

Let's say that there's a room filled with mobs, too many to handle all at once, and you want to decrease the numbers a bit before you and rest of your party decide to assault.

The protranser can run in, lay traps, and run out. The mobs will trigger the traps and be destroyed (or at least take a good amount of damage). This way, depending on the monsters'/char's level, there will either be no mobs left or enough left to tackle wihtout too much hassle (or lag XP).

This may not always be the case scenario, but it's a good one to consider. Protransers, in my eyes, are kind of like backup melee support.

A2K
Oct 14, 2006, 01:02 PM
It seems Fortegunner can use all the traps available in the store as well. (Is that all of them?)

Given this fact, I'm curious as to whether or not the differences for Protranser versus other classes go beyond mere stats and weapon capabilities. Are their traps magically more effective, for example? Do they get to carry more? Etc.

Fleece
Oct 14, 2006, 01:24 PM
Im going protranser. My favourite weapons are on it.

Axe
Fists
Sword
Bow
Beam Cannon
Grenade launcher

AC9breaker
Oct 14, 2006, 01:52 PM
To me Protranser seems reminiscent of how I use to play on PSO, especially in cmode. Where a cast would set off his own traps to effect the enemy. Also, we are givin the ability to use level 30 Bullets and Attack Arts, Pretty sweet since I love some of the Spears animations and I could see myself using Axe. Also Grende Launcher, Shotgun, and Bow, all too sweet. Also no ability to use techs , Protranser to me will be the closet one can get to being a RAcast as we knew it on PSO in PSU. Plus it will also complimen6t Fortegunner which something else I've been interested in doing.

DrewSeleski
Oct 14, 2006, 02:01 PM
On 2006-10-14 11:02, A2K wrote:
It seems Fortegunner can use all the traps available in the store as well. (Is that all of them?)

Given this fact, I'm curious as to whether or not the differences for Protranser versus other classes go beyond mere stats and weapon capabilities. Are their traps magically more effective, for example? Do they get to carry more? Etc.

It is quite possible that not all the traps are in the store at the moment

Zarbolord
Oct 14, 2006, 02:03 PM
Only if we get two worlds, or if I make a fourth character (which will be human btw). Otherwise, not really. I prefer to stay force at all times http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Itsuki
Oct 15, 2006, 12:55 AM
There is this misconception that traps deal a noticable amount of damage. They don't, they're entirely utility. IMHO, a protranser is a weaker version of a ranger. They do get axes and gernade launchers, two amazingly good weapons. But they lack the defensive ability to reall survive in close enough to use an axe, an they lack the ATA to effectively use a launcher.

Think of the stat limitations aswell. Their ATP and ATA are so low that at level 50, they can't use the majority of the 6 star weapons yet, and probably can't even use the majority of 5 star weapons yet. This makes them even worse off than they already are.

CpwninOBrien
Oct 15, 2006, 01:02 AM
humans and protransers seem gimp need more than 36 arts/bullets to be worthwile i think

Zato-2TWO
Oct 15, 2006, 01:05 AM
ZOMG GIMP!!!111 L2P N00B!!!!11 1 =O =O!!!

Seriously guys, I don't think any race/class combo is completely horrible in this game. I'm sure even something as 'gimping' as Human Protransers can find ways to get around.

CpwninOBrien
Oct 15, 2006, 01:07 AM
On 2006-10-14 23:05, Zato-2TWO wrote:
ZOMG GIMP!!!111 L2P N00B!!!!11 1 =O =O!!!

Seriously guys, I don't think any race/class combo is completely horrible in this game. I'm sure even something as 'gimping' as Human Protransers can find ways to get around.

just lookin at the math low hp low stats only a-rank weaps traps need to be dang powerful and i do agree im sure Protrancer is playabe just looks relly difficult like FOcast or sumthin

Lyrise
Oct 15, 2006, 01:10 AM
On 2006-10-14 22:55, Itsuki-chan wrote:
There is this misconception that traps deal a noticable amount of damage. They don't, they're entirely utility.

Damage Trap G would like to have a word with you. Dealing up to 600+ damage to everything is what I'd call pretty noticeable. That's better than a good number of force AoE damage right there.

But yeah. Other than that, most traps are utility, but don't forget indirect damage. Virus, burn, poison, even confuse. Ever see enemies nuke each other with megid?

Zato-2TWO
Oct 15, 2006, 01:12 AM
On 2006-10-14 23:10, Lyrise wrote:
Ever see enemies nuke each other with megid?

That right there sounds like a boat full of WIN. I may have interest in a Protranser alt now...

DurakkenX
Oct 15, 2006, 01:13 AM
Protranser = GIMPCAST!

Itsuki
Oct 15, 2006, 01:22 AM
On 2006-10-14 23:10, Lyrise wrote:

On 2006-10-14 22:55, Itsuki-chan wrote:
There is this misconception that traps deal a noticable amount of damage. They don't, they're entirely utility.

Damage Trap G would like to have a word with you. Dealing up to 600+ damage to everything is what I'd call pretty noticeable. That's better than a good number of force AoE damage right there.

But yeah. Other than that, most traps are utility, but don't forget indirect damage. Virus, burn, poison, even confuse. Ever see enemies nuke each other with megid?

But how many damage trap G will you actually be able to use before it becomes cost ineffetive. And a force can continuously do that AoE. You can only hold 10 of each trap, monsters in A rank depending on area can have like 10k+ hp, even if you drop all 10, that still doesn't actually kill anything.

A2K
Oct 15, 2006, 01:56 AM
As far as I can tell you can only hold 5 apiece of the G-type traps. Protransers might be able to hold more, I dunno--that's complete speculation on my part though.

In any case, damage traps also blow away/knock down enemies. "Set up a few, stand back, wait until the enemies step on them, blow the fuse, and clean up with an axe" would seem to be a working strategy for it. As a protranser you are going to be spending a lot on traps--there's no avoiding that. You just have to work around that. Use weaker but cheaper traps on weaker enemies, etc.

Jools
Oct 15, 2006, 08:27 AM
I planned to be one but their stats have proven to be startlingly weak. Couple this with the extortionately priced traps and it truly seems like a poor class.

-Jools

AC9breaker
Oct 15, 2006, 08:42 AM
Haha, all i've been seeing in this thread.

"I'm not a good enough player to handle the awesomeness of Protranser"

I can't wait till I can Blow Shit up! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cheepcheep.gif

tyler2zelda
Oct 15, 2006, 08:45 AM
I'm probably gonna end up making a Protranser Cast...

Mwabwetumba
Oct 15, 2006, 08:47 AM
I love the arsenal of the protranser, but the stats very much goes against my mental image of Mwabwetumba...so the protranser will have to wait until Im creating more characters^^

Abeatron
Oct 15, 2006, 08:51 AM
I think one mine will be a cast Protrancer, just because of the kick-ass factor in the combination Grenadelaunch-the-crap-out-of-enemies-then-finish-them-off-with-an-axe. If it is efective or not time will have to tell (quite a lot of time too, since i have to wait 1 month untill it is released in EU)

Lovejuice
Oct 15, 2006, 09:03 AM
Is TAP affecting trap damage or is it a combination of different stats? I've briefly been playing with them in the import (as a Ranger) but can't work out the exact calculation. I'm just trying to work out their reasoning behind the level 5 FO requirement other than the "but they're a jack of all trades" excuse (especially if TAP does modify trap damage, because actual Fortechers could make better use of the lower level traps, and Fortegunners initially have similar TAP and can use all the same traps), seeing as they can't use techs.

I am really interested in them though, even if they do have lower stats in almost all areas compared to everyone else. I'm thinking that their power will end up lying outside of conventional statistics (like A2K said; maybe they can hold more, traps are cheaper etc).

Rizen
Oct 15, 2006, 09:11 AM
I messed around with traps offline and they are pretty handy. The freeze traps work well if you need crowd control and the damaging traps are nothing to sneeze at. If money isnt an issue, Protanser seems like they are going to be a good crowd control class.

tyler2zelda
Oct 15, 2006, 09:12 AM
BOOM
I LIKE BLOWING UP STUFF
BOOM

That's gonna be fun.

xzeekzx
Oct 15, 2006, 09:25 AM
i'm not going to be one, but i think people will find they can be very vital to a party, especially when a 4 party becomes more the norm. It can get to be a lotta mobs for 4 people, and a protranser could be very helpful in those messy situations, imo as always

physic
Oct 15, 2006, 09:32 AM
i think some other thread said they have 30 bullets and 30 photon arts, which means they get more skills per weapon than figh gunner or wartekker or blah blah. And i know 21 is the last combo on many weapons, so thats like prolly 7 extra skills right there. as well as 21 probably being where many guns start to do the next dmg class. Carry big srank swords and guns is nice, but knowing how to use it is also pretty useful. no to mention some most likely strong advantage in using traps.

Kizzy
Oct 15, 2006, 09:39 AM
On 2006-10-14 10:59, Kismet wrote:
To give an example of what protransers are good for...

Let's say that there's a room filled with mobs, too many to handle all at once, and you want to decrease the numbers a bit before you and rest of your party decide to assault.

The protranser can run in, lay traps, and run out. The mobs will trigger the traps and be destroyed (or at least take a good amount of damage). This way, depending on the monsters'/char's level, there will either be no mobs left or enough left to tackle wihtout too much hassle (or lag XP).

This may not always be the case scenario, but it's a good one to consider. Protransers, in my eyes, are kind of like backup melee support.

If seems as if no one payed attention to when I said this earlier. XD As I said above, protransers are good backup melee support. They're also good for crowd control. The end.

Itsuki
Oct 15, 2006, 11:06 AM
On 2006-10-15 07:03, Lovejuice wrote:
I am really interested in them though, even if they do have lower stats in almost all areas compared to everyone else. I'm thinking that their power will end up lying outside of conventional statistics (like A2K said; maybe they can hold more, traps are cheaper etc).

They don't have lower stats in "almost all areas", they have the lowest stats in ALL areas. That means at level 50, when a fortefighter has like 500atp, hey'll have like 200. While a fortecher will have like 700 TAP (as a newman) they'll have like 150 (as a newman). If a fortefighter of your level will have 1250hp, all other classes will have over 1000hp except for 3 other classes. A force will have about 975hp, a fortecher will have 753hp, and the protranser will be sitting there at 662.

If any stat effects traps, that only means they'll be worse at using them than a ranger. They're only redeeming quality is their versatility. Which also people are taking further than they should since at level 50, a cast protranser doesn't come close to having enough ATA for the lowest of grenade launchers. And even a beast at level 50 only has 2/3 the ATP to equip the lowest of axes. And units don't effect what you can equip.

The facts: Protranser at 50 will have less than 105 ata as a cast, less than 235 atp as a beast, less than 50 def as a cast.

The lowest level axe requires 339 atp. Lowest grenade launcher requiers 148 ata. 5 star melee require as high as 250atp, 5 star armor ca require more than 50 def. While normal classes are able to equip 8+ star at level 50, a protranser will be stuck at 5star.

Kyuu
Oct 15, 2006, 11:24 AM
I'm just extremely curious as to what bonuses they get with traps, because it'd seem they'd have to have some pretty major bonuses, as well as possibly even extra traps that other jobs don't have access to, in order to offset their poor stats.

DurakkenX
Oct 15, 2006, 01:37 PM
itsuki you are wrong ^.^ all but one of their stats is the lowest in the game...and that one stat is higher than only 1 or 2 other jobs and is waaaaaay lower than most the other classes

fireant
Oct 15, 2006, 02:01 PM
On 2006-10-15 06:42, AC9breaker wrote:
Haha, all i've been seeing in this thread.

"I'm not a good enough player to handle the awesomeness of Protranser"

I can't wait till I can Blow Shit up! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cheepcheep.gif

I want to make a Protranser for the same reason
Fire in the hole!
cheers
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_beer.gif

Itsuki
Oct 15, 2006, 03:05 PM
On 2006-10-15 11:37, DurakkenX wrote:
itsuki you are wrong ^.^ all but one of their stats is the lowest in the game...and that one stat is higher than only 1 or 2 other jobs and is waaaaaay lower than most the other classes

Ahh, I see you're right, they share the same TAP and MST stats as hunters. Fighgunners have lower MST and fortefighters have lower MST and TAP.

But both of these stats are still pretty abysmal. I mean, of the classes that can cast magic: Forces have 3.5x the tap, forteforces have 4x the tap, Wartchers have about 2.3x the tap, and guntechers have about 1.2x the tap.

EDIT: But I think I still got my main point across, which was the fact that protransers can't equip anything. They'll be level 80-90 before they can dream of equipping something like an axe or a launcher.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Itsuki-chan on 2006-10-15 13:06 ]</font>

Zeppelin36
Oct 15, 2006, 03:10 PM
basically the bottom line is "If you like to blow stuff up we have the class for you!"

Ryoga4523
Oct 15, 2006, 03:20 PM
I was thinking of going with protranser too. I digged the fact that they could get teh level 30 bullets and level 30 photon arts. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

DurakkenX
Oct 15, 2006, 04:01 PM
no....bottomline is is you like to have crappy stats and not be able to equip anything good while wasting tons of money on traps that won't last an entire mission this is the class for you.

Hydra632
Oct 15, 2006, 04:04 PM
Quit hatin.

Knownoes
Oct 15, 2006, 04:04 PM
How do you become a protranser anyway? Do you just change your class like you do from hunter to ranger, or do you need to continually use traps to become one? Or what?

afcakey
Oct 15, 2006, 04:07 PM
On 2006-10-15 14:04, Knownoes wrote:
How do you become a protranser anyway? Do you just change your class like you do from hunter to ranger, or do you need to continually use traps to become one? Or what?

you need to be a level 5 hunter/ranger/force. then change your job.

Knownoes
Oct 15, 2006, 04:11 PM
Ah, right... That sucks a bit. But at least it gives you some time to build up cash I guess.

Jools
Oct 15, 2006, 05:55 PM
Heh, I'd like to see you be able to afford traps after achieving only 5 job levels...

Rizen
Oct 15, 2006, 06:13 PM
Protranser is going to be one of those classes that is looked down on so hard at first and later on when people start using them more it will be like "omfg i was sooo wrong!".

SpishackCola
Oct 16, 2006, 03:45 PM
Protransers = win. I would pipe back to town all the time in PSO just to refill traps :o

Gotta bring back my RAcaseal

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SpishackCola on 2006-10-16 13:47 ]</font>

-Break-
Oct 16, 2006, 04:10 PM
You can't actually pipe back.....

chibiLegolas
Oct 16, 2006, 04:20 PM
Can you synthasize traps with your PM? If so, perhaps it's cheaper/easier for this class to make traps since they're suppost to "specialized" with them. If PM's can't make traps, is it possible that with the Protranser class, now you can?

SpishackCola
Oct 16, 2006, 06:14 PM
On 2006-10-16 14:10, -Break- wrote:
You can't actually pipe back.....

I said PSO...http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

Jools
Oct 16, 2006, 09:00 PM
No, you can't synth traps.