PDA

View Full Version : About scrolling through your action palettes...

Phaze37
Oct 14, 2006, 03:05 PM
I was looking at the diagram for the controls in this game on this page http://www.pso-world.com/phantasy_star_universe_xbox_360_beta.php and I noticed something. It only shows only one button for scrolling through your weapons and one button for scrolling through your items. Is there a way to scroll back? I'll probably end up carrying the full 6 weapons at a time and lots of items, and it would be incredibly annoying to have to scroll through all 6 weapons again if I accidentally scrolled past the one I need. I remember someone on these forums saying that you use the R1 and L1 buttons to scroll forward through your weapons/items, and R2 and L2 to scroll backwards, but I don't see that on this page here. If anyone could clear this up for me I'd be grateful. I really hope there's a way to scroll backwards -_-

Ether
Oct 14, 2006, 03:07 PM
I'm pretty sure you can also use the D-Pad when the action pallete is open, thats how I do it, but I'm playing on PC

Shadow_Wing
Oct 14, 2006, 03:09 PM
You can scroll back and forth, it be pretty bad if you couldn't.

As a note, I do it all the time, cause my main hand (Handgun/saber) is in the middle of the pallete. So I scroll back and forth a lot to gain access to my sniper and dual handguns

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadow_Wing on 2006-10-14 13:10 ]</font>

Kyuu
Oct 14, 2006, 03:13 PM
I'm pretty sure that, after holding down B to access your Action Pallete, you press left or right on the D-pad to switch between your items and your weapons, and you scroll through them using up and down.

Otherwise, it'd be really crappy. o_0

Phaze37
Oct 14, 2006, 03:13 PM
Using the D-pad to scroll through items would be a pain in the ass, I don't want to have to take my thumb off the analog stick just to scroll backwards through my action palette. Being able to move while scrolling through my action palette is very important. Does this mean that the only way to scroll backwards through my action palette is to use the dpad? That would be very disapointing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phaze37 on 2006-10-14 13:25 ]</font>

Shadow_Wing
Oct 14, 2006, 03:34 PM
You can't scroll while moving, unless you another thumb or something, but it doesn't become a big problem. It takes me .5 - 1.5 seconds to change my weapons and I just move a little out of the way and change quickly then head off into the fray again. Unlike PSO's quick menu system, which wasn't all that quick btw, this system is very simple and changing weapons is a very quick action.

-Break-
Oct 14, 2006, 03:41 PM
Yea using the D-Pad is annoying...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Break- on 2006-10-14 13:42 ]</font>

Diablohead
Oct 14, 2006, 03:43 PM
You can hold B and press LB and RB (left and right sholder BUTTONS) to scroll as you run around, but that only scrolls the list in one direction, but its very fast to find what you want.

-Break-
Oct 14, 2006, 03:45 PM
On 2006-10-14 13:43, Diablohead wrote:
You can hold B and press LB and RB (left and right sholder BUTTONS) to scroll as you run around, but that only scrolls the list in one direction, but its very fast to find what you want.

Yes, not being able to scroll backwards has been pissing me off since I got the JP version, a lot of the time I end up going to fast and pass the item I want, its not hard just keeping scrolling and getting to it, just annoying.

mattdude
Oct 14, 2006, 03:49 PM
I hope in PC it will be different controls on the gamepad....

what I don't like is in PSObb you use the dpad to control you char. , and on the part to move in menu, or inventory you use the left thubstick...( I hope in PSU it is you move with left thub stick, and the right tumbstick is to move in inventory, or menu or dpad is used in inventory or menu.)

Phaze37
Oct 14, 2006, 03:52 PM
... so you can't use L2 and R2 to scroll back in the same way that you can use L1 and R1 to scroll forwards? It's either use the L1 and R 1 buttons to scroll forwards or use the awkward D-pad? That's lame. I really liked PSO's quick menu system, except for the fact that it should have simply been the Y button instead of R+Y, and that you'd sometimes accidentally be in the wrong menu. It was great because I could keep moving with the left stick while scrolling with the right stick.

mattdude
Oct 14, 2006, 03:54 PM
PSOBB controls are weird, but in PSO on GC it was really good....I just hope that PSU doesnt have the same controls or that would suck ( I might as well just change it around cause I do have it on the PC)

Phaze37
Oct 14, 2006, 04:08 PM
On 2006-10-14 13:49, mattdude wrote:
I hope in PC it will be different controls on the gamepad....

what I don't like is in PSObb you use the dpad to control you char. , and on the part to move in menu, or inventory you use the left thubstick...( I hope in PSU it is you move with left thub stick, and the right tumbstick is to move in inventory, or menu or dpad is used in inventory or menu.)

You've got your controller set up wrong. In PSOBB I use my left analog stick to move and the dpad to scroll through menus, and it was set up that way by default. My PSOBB plays exactly like it did on gamecube, except im using an xbox controller and I have some extra actions set to the black and white buttons as well, so they're even better than the controls on gamecube. (I don't remember what the black and white buttons did in the xbox version but I'm using them for resta and rabarta) Now if only the xbox analog stick was a good as the gamecube's...

Sonic Team always seems to need to make one big screw-up in every game they make dont they? Would it have been hard to program the L2 and R2 buttons to scroll backwards? No. Would it have interfered with other controls? Not really, unless being able to use the social key or chat log while having the action palette open is really important to you. Would it have been a useful addition to the controls? Hell yes. Oh well, I guess I'll use the L1 and R1 buttons to scroll through my weapons and if I accidentally scroll too far I'll stop moving and use the D-pad. Not my idea of ideal controls, but there's not much I can do about it. I'm just really disapointed because until I saw that page with the control layout, I thought the L2 and R2 buttons scrolled backwards.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phaze37 on 2006-10-14 14:15 ]</font>

Diablohead
Oct 14, 2006, 04:12 PM
I have had no problem with the system what so ever, it might be because I adepted to it knowing there was no other option? just my 2 pence.

I change weapons mid fight also without any problem, and anyway you should not be changing a weapon right in front of the enemy even if you are out of PP.

Phaze37
Oct 14, 2006, 04:21 PM
I'm just really used to PSO's quick menu and I was hoping that PSU's action palette would at least be as good as PSO's quick menu. Despite the improvements, not being able to scroll backwards seems like a big step backwards. I'll have to wait until oct 25th to see just how good or bad it is.

Beezzy
Oct 14, 2006, 05:15 PM
You can scroll backwards and forwards hold B and press RB to scroll forward and RT to scroll backwards (xbox 360 controls) Same with items on Left side..

Phaze37
Oct 14, 2006, 05:44 PM
On 2006-10-14 15:15, Beezzy wrote:
You can scroll backwards and forwards hold B and press RB to scroll forward and RT to scroll backwards (xbox 360 controls) Same with items on Left side..

Seriously? Why didn't anyone mention this before? That's how I thought it worked. That's how I was hoping it would work. Shadow_Wing, -Break-, and Diablohead are all telling me that you can't scroll backwards using the triggers, then Beezzy comes in and tells me that you can. I'm confused. Either Beezzy is not telling the truth or Shadow_Wing, -Break-, and Diablohead somehow missed this.

Can someone else confirm this? I'm very confused!

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough with my question, so I'll simplify it:

CAN YOU OR CAN YOU NOT SCROLL BACKWARDS THROUGH YOUR ACTION PALETTES USING THE SHOULDER BUTTONS?

If someone could give me a definitive answer to the above question typed in all caps, I would appreciate it.

If you happen to be playing the xbox 360 beta, could you actually test this before posting? At least one person in this topic is giving me false information.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phaze37 on 2006-10-14 15:48 ]</font>

Kent
Oct 14, 2006, 05:59 PM
Yes. I just logged in to test this (was wondering about it, myself).

You can use LB and LT to scroll up and down through your items while holding B, and you can use RB and RT to do the same with your weapons.

So yes, you can scroll up and down through your action pallette with your finger buttons and triggers.

Phaze37
Oct 14, 2006, 06:28 PM
Thanks. My xbox360-owning friend finally got home, so I'm gonna go over there and test it myself. Shadow_Wing, -Break-, and Diablohead, if it turns out that Kent and Beezzy are right, (and I'm really hoping they are) why are you spreading this misinformation? Didn't you actually try pressing the triggers with the action palette up before coming in here and posting that it doesn't work? You got me all worked up over nothing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phaze37 on 2006-10-14 16:30 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phaze37 on 2006-10-14 16:40 ]</font>

mechatra
Oct 14, 2006, 06:53 PM
Im pretty sure that it'll work that way, although my information isn't solid. Im jsut going by my JP import for the Ps2. On that version the R1 and L1 triggers move forward through weps and items, and R2 and L2 move backwards, so I'd assume there'd be a system for it on the 360?

Shadow_Wing
Oct 14, 2006, 06:54 PM
Ya gotta give us some credit, it's only been 2 days old and without any instructions or a working tutorial we're all kinda finding this shit out as we go. I'll test it out when I get back online, atm I'm getting a whole lot of "can't connect" -_-;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadow_Wing on 2006-10-14 16:54 ]</font>

hans4
Oct 14, 2006, 07:18 PM
ummm u kno there is more than 6 wepons right? i mean theres different wepons with different stats...i swa a video of it

McLaughlin
Oct 14, 2006, 07:30 PM
On 2006-10-14 13:13, Kyuu wrote:
I'm pretty sure that, after holding down B to access your Action Pallete, you press left or right on the D-pad to switch between your items and your weapons, and you scroll through them using up and down.

Otherwise, it'd be really crappy. o_0

This is indeed how it works.

EDIT: Oh, I never saw the post where you clarified your question.

Yeah, you can scroll with the triggers and bumpers. It'd be a pain to have to use the D-Pad all the time >_>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zeta on 2006-10-14 17:37 ]</font>

mechatra
Oct 14, 2006, 07:57 PM
On 2006-10-14 17:18, hans4 wrote:
ummm u kno there is more than 6 wepons right? i mean theres different wepons with different stats...i swa a video of it

Ah jeez... I lol'd all over myself.

*Tch!*
~_~

Phaze37
Oct 14, 2006, 11:44 PM
I got to test it out myself. I'm glad to see that you can indeed scroll in both directions using the shoulder buttons. To those of you who told me that you can only scroll in one direction, next time someone asks a question about the game, make sure you know the answer before you answer it. If you don't know for sure, say that you don't know for sure instead of saying it like it's a fact. I had 3 people here give me the wrong answer before someone with 29 posts finally gave me the right answer. That's annoying. Seriously, why would you tell me that you can't scroll backwards and complain about not being able to scroll backwards when you haven't even tried it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phaze37 on 2006-10-14 23:02 ]</font>

Sanjiro
Oct 17, 2006, 09:45 AM
I like using the dpad because i've become so use to it. I can move at the same time and search the pallete or whatever.

Velocity_7
Oct 17, 2006, 10:24 AM
What are you guys talking about?

On PS2 (or Windows setup to PS2-like controls):

- hold X to open up Palette Window
- while holding X
- R1 scrolls up the weapon list, R2 scrolls down
- L1 scrolls up the item list, L2 scrolls down

Sanjiro
Oct 20, 2006, 03:55 PM
Thats what I was asking, but thanks anyway. I'm getting it for PC.

Flunky
Oct 20, 2006, 04:03 PM
I've never had any problems working the d-pad for items and weapons.

I tend to select the healing item I'll most likely need before I get into something rough (if you don't need to use it, selecting it will just save the cursor position). Just a quick B + left on the d-pad to heal up.

Switching weapons in battle isn't so bad, either. There's always an unarmed slot between the 1st and 6th slots, so I'd suggest putting your most frequently used weapon somewhere in the middle. That way it's only one or two clicks to most weapons- fast enough to switch weapons in the middle of performing a PA, for example.

It may sound cumbersome, but it probably only took me 10 minutes to get the hang of it. Never even knew about the non d-pad method of going through the quickslots.

-Break-
Oct 20, 2006, 04:06 PM
On 2006-10-14 16:28, Phaze37 wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-10-14 16:28, Phaze37 wrote:
I got to test it out myself. I'm glad to see that you can indeed scroll in both directions using the shoulder buttons. To those of you who told me that you can only scroll in one direction, next time someone asks a question about the game, make sure you know the answer before you answer it. If you don't know for sure, say that you don't know for sure instead of saying it like it's a fact. I had 3 people here give me the wrong answer before someone with 29 posts finally gave me the right answer. That's annoying. Seriously, why would you tell me that you can't scroll backwards and complain about not being able to scroll backwards when you haven't even tried it?

I'm on the Japanese PC version using a Logitech controller...which I mentioned.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Break- on 2006-10-20 14:08 ]</font>

Phaze37
Oct 20, 2006, 04:13 PM
Wow, someone actually revived this old topic?

On 2006-10-20 14:03, Flunky wrote:
There's always an unarmed slot between the 1st and 6th slots

Now THAT is disapointing. Who the hell would want the ability to unequip your weapon taking up valuable space on the action palette? In Blue Burst, I carry 6 weapons on me at a time, and for weapons near the bottom of my list I scroll up from the bottom, and it's annoying to have to scroll past the unequip-your-current-weapon option when it shouldn't be there in the first place. Also, I heard somewhere that you can't even attack in PSU if you don't have a weapon equipped, so there's absolutely no use for going bare-handed in PSU. I hope you're wrong about that.

Sanjiro
Oct 20, 2006, 04:15 PM
Yeah I notice it was old but I'm a deadly noob and have noob questions.

-Break-
Oct 20, 2006, 04:17 PM
For those of you on PC, if you change buttons 8 and 9 with PSU's gamepad options you can then scroll backwards with button 9/R2. My bad Phaze I never realized you were talking specifically about the 360 controls.

Flunky
Oct 20, 2006, 04:18 PM
Just did a quick double-check.

Yep, there's always (for me, at least) an unarmed slot between the 6th and 1st weapons. And you can't attack without a weapon equipped.

You can, however, emote in battle areas if you don't have a weapon equipped. Er, yeah.

Might be good if somebody else could verify this as well, though... might just be something I'm missing or a bug for me.

-Break-
Oct 20, 2006, 04:19 PM
On 2006-10-20 14:18, Flunky wrote:

Yep, there's always (for me, at least) an unarmed slot between the 6th and 1st weapons. And you can't attack without a weapon equipped.

You can, however, emote in battle areas if you don't have a weapon equipped. Er, yeah.

Might be good if somebody else could verify this as well, though... might just be something I'm missing or a bug for me.

Yes, there is always an empty spot.

Phaze37
Oct 20, 2006, 04:20 PM
Well, I was talking about the default controls in general, since they should be exactly the same on PS2 and on PC when you're using a gamepad with the same layout as a PS2 or 360 controller. I'll be playing the PC version with an adaptor that allows me to use my PS2 controller on my PC.

That empty slot on the action palette is stoopid. It's just a worthless option that I'll have to scroll past in the middle of a battle. At least in PSO going bare-handed could potentially be useful for faster technique casting, but I'm wracking my brain trying to think of how switching to bare hands in the middle of a battle could possibly be useful in PSU. Oh well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phaze37 on 2006-10-20 14:24 ]</font>

-Break-
Oct 20, 2006, 04:23 PM
On 2006-10-20 14:20, Phaze37 wrote:
Well, I was talking about the default controls in general, since they should be exactly the same on PS2 and on PC when you're using a gamepad with the same layout as a PS2 or 360 controller. I'll be playing the PC version with an adaptor that allows me to use my PS2 controller on my PC.

Yea my Logitech is just like a PS2 controller but I had to switch buttons 8 and 9 because of the way the buttons are assigned on the logitech. I think I'm actually going to buy the 360 controller and use that instead.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Break- on 2006-10-20 14:24 ]</font>

Jife_Jifremok
Oct 20, 2006, 04:53 PM
On 2006-10-20 14:18, Flunky wrote:

Uhhh, can't you just emote with a weapon or two equipped?

StanleyPain
Oct 20, 2006, 05:42 PM
I'm not sure if this has been covered, but you all are aware that you can hold B and use RB to scroll up or RT to scroll down, right? You can select weapons and items while moving, you just can't scroll down with items. While you hold B, if you push LB, it will tab over to your items, but only RB work to scroll up. there is no scroll down for items except D-Pad down.

Flunky
Oct 20, 2006, 06:07 PM
Uhhh, can't you just emote with a weapon or two equipped?

Not sure. When you don't have any weapons equipped, the x button (regular attack) becomes the emote list button. Don't have a keyboard hooked up to my 360 now, so I can't say much else.

TheStoicOne
Oct 20, 2006, 06:33 PM
IS there any other way to communicate on the PC/Ps2 ver. without a keyboard?
And no I do
NOT mean Voice chat.

Shye
Oct 20, 2006, 06:36 PM
On the 360 version, if you hold down the B button to open the pallet RB will scroll your weapons one way, and RT (trigger) will scroll them the other way.

While you are holding B you can press LB and the cursor will switch over to the Items side and then LB and LT (trigger) will scroll items up and down.

B+LB = Fast Monomate Heal. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

[Edit] Whups, I thought there was only one page to this post. Nevermind. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif I didn't see it explained on the other page.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shye on 2006-10-20 16:37 ]</font>

AlphaMinotaux
Oct 20, 2006, 06:45 PM
i open the item pallete with the left trigger and scroll through it with my right thumbstick. this is with my 360 controller with XBCD drivers and ControlMK to remap keyboard buttons to controller.

FenixStryk
Oct 20, 2006, 06:47 PM
You can use the LB, RB, and D-Pad to scroll through your action palette. As such, if by some luke you miss the weapon you want to select, you can:
a) Memorize the number of clicks it takes to get back to it.
b) Move your right hand to the D-pad and press down.

BadYeti
Oct 20, 2006, 07:19 PM
Now THAT is disapointing. Who the hell would want the ability to unequip your weapon taking up valuable space on the action palette?
I would.

It doesn't "take up" one of your action palette slots. You get six action palette slots that correspond to weapon configurations and a seventh slot with no corresponding weapons.

The benefit, at least to me, is that it provides a visual cue as to where you're at in the list while you're scrolling through the action palette.

This isn't so much an issue for hunters and rangers since the indicators in the palette are visually different for each weapon and element type (color). However, as a force, I'm running around with six identical looking green staff indicators in my action palette. I use the blank line as a point of reference to quickly select the staff I want (second one above the line is diga, first one below the line is foie, etc).

While they do also list the names of two of the four techniques linked to the staff as you scroll through them, the text is fairly small and it is much faster to have an easy visual cue to use for positional reference.

-Break-
Oct 20, 2006, 07:27 PM
On 2006-10-20 15:42, StanleyPain wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been covered, but you all are aware that you can hold B and use RB to scroll up or RT to scroll down, right? You can select weapons and items while moving, you just can't scroll down with items. While you hold B, if you push LB, it will tab over to your items, but only RB work to scroll up. there is no scroll down for items except D-Pad down.

You can scroll up and down, both in the item section and weapons section as long as your controls are set up correctly.

FenixStryk
Oct 20, 2006, 07:39 PM
On 2006-10-20 17:19, BadYeti wrote:As a force, I'm running around with six identical looking green staff indicators in my action palette. I use the blank line as a point of reference to quickly select the staff I want (second one above the line is diga, first one below the line is foie, etc).Wow, it must SUCK to be a Force. That'd be way too confusing for me.

-Break-
Oct 20, 2006, 07:44 PM
On 2006-10-20 17:39, FenixStryk wrote:

On 2006-10-20 17:19, BadYeti wrote:As a force, I'm running around with six identical looking green staff indicators in my action palette. I use the blank line as a point of reference to quickly select the staff I want (second one above the line is diga, first one below the line is foie, etc).Wow, it must SUCK to be a Force. That'd be way too confusing for me.

If you have all the same element on a Staff it becomes that element and adds a bonus % and also turns the elements color. Problem is you'll always want to have Resta at hand.

BadYeti
Oct 20, 2006, 08:16 PM
If you have all the same element on a Staff it becomes that element and adds a bonus % and also turns the elements color. Problem is you'll always want to have Resta at hand.
Yeah, I plan to do some elemental-specific staves once the game goes live, but for the beta test there are only 2 spells per element.

With only two spells per element the maximum bonus you can get is a 4% elemental bonus, and that comes at a high cost. You give up two of your four photon art slots and, as you mentioned, you also have to weapon change to reach resta. Just not worth it for a 4% damage bonus.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BadYeti on 2006-10-20 18:57 ]</font>