PDA

View Full Version : PSU Beta -Rethink-

Vetto
Oct 14, 2006, 11:25 PM
After playing x360 beta.. im starting to rethink getting it for x360.. i have found the mic to be Rather useless as no one talks in parties and i would of needed to get a keyboard for my xbox to talk out of parties, If this is the case i herd i could just put my x360 controller onto my PC to work correct?

anyone else get this feeling?

ABDUR101
Oct 14, 2006, 11:27 PM
I'm only going to play with a handful of people anyway, and they use mics. I'm sure as you play you'll run into more and more people willing to talk and use their headsets. I would'nt exactly call it quits just because people aren't using the headset in the beta.

Vetto
Oct 14, 2006, 11:28 PM
Beside 1 guy no one ever talked, also the fact we have to have the keyboard to even talk to one another in the lobby easily is a turn off for me. I was under the idea the mic worked in lobbies with a Party and public only options. =/

rena-ko
Oct 14, 2006, 11:31 PM
microsoft offers official drivers to use your 360-controller on a windows pc.
then, you could always invest in some headset solution for the pc. plenty of voicechat servers out there. depends on which community you'd prefer - and if you like to play on your tv or pc more.

Yachiru
Oct 14, 2006, 11:31 PM
Well, I'm going to be playing with a groupful of friends, so I really don't have to worry about getting a party with people who don't talk. Of course, I have a keyboard as well so I can't really say anything. Lol. But, the 360 controller will work on the PC, yes. Make sure you have the appropriate program to set the controls and such, though.

Yachiru
Oct 14, 2006, 11:33 PM
My bad for the double post, but. You could come hang out with me for a while if you want, we all talk so you don't have to worry about any of that. And we're really nice. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

McLaughlin
Oct 14, 2006, 11:34 PM
I haven't been in a party yet where people weren't talking. I'm also glad we can't use Voice Chat in lobbies anymore. No more Green Day at 1000 decibels.

Then again, I have a USB keyboard too >_>

Bleemo
Oct 14, 2006, 11:36 PM
The voice chat sort of ruins the quality of the game for me, not really that no one uses it, but rather the people who do sort of force you into using it as well if you don't want to use it. I.E. keeping your sound on low, listening to music, or just not wanting to use your headset. Then two different forms of communication start conflicting with eachother.

I purchased a Xbox 360 PC version controller (http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=cat3&product_code=339848&Pn=Xbox_360_Common_Controller) to use when I played PSO:BB. You will need the software that comes with it in order to use your 360 controller on your PC. Though, you may be able to find the drivers somewhere else if you already have a USB 360 controller.

CpwninOBrien
Oct 14, 2006, 11:37 PM
yea bro id go with ur gut feeling if its saying no to x360 we'll be happy to play with ya on PC/PS2 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Vetto
Oct 14, 2006, 11:39 PM
See that the issue i run into.. The X360.. well i prefer my TV allot and knowing from the start ill have it at full power is great..But in turn the community will be smaller and i doubt many will spring for a key bored... But with pc i get the full community and the keyboard to talk.. but i run the risk of lower graphics.

Spellbinder
Oct 14, 2006, 11:42 PM
While graphics are nice, what good are they if you're gaming experience is spoiled?

McLaughlin
Oct 14, 2006, 11:44 PM
If the Beta is any sign of population, Xbox 360 servers will be plenty full.

Vetto
Oct 14, 2006, 11:45 PM
Hmm mabye it my mic... thou it FULLY odd that i hear one guy.. and no one else >>;

Bleemo
Oct 14, 2006, 11:46 PM
On 2006-10-14 21:44, Zeta wrote:
If the Beta is any sign of population, Xbox 360 servers will be plenty full.

'Course, it is a free download and advertised all over Xbox Live Marketplace. I've run across many who are just playing it because they could download it. Looks as if many will leave after the beta is over.

Great advertisement, though.

Vetto
Oct 14, 2006, 11:51 PM
also to anyone playing the JP verson for the love of god please tell me there more then that one level 1 mission, I had to play it so many times before i could get into level 10 T.T .

-Crokar-
Oct 15, 2006, 12:24 AM
go to parum or the one planet that starts with an n.

and all the parties ive been in had constant talkng

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Crokar- on 2006-10-14 22:25 ]</font>

watashiwa
Oct 15, 2006, 04:41 AM
Uh, 90% or more of the parties I've been in, people voice chat.. and, God, I love it.. so much fun

shidoshi
Oct 15, 2006, 05:17 AM
After playing the beta, I'm rethinking buying the game period. *heh*

Starshape
Oct 15, 2006, 07:21 AM
On 2006-10-14 21:28, Vetto wrote:
Beside 1 guy no one ever talked, also the fact we have to have the keyboard to even talk to one another in the lobby easily is a turn off for me. I was under the idea the mic worked in lobbies with a Party and public only options. =/

are you serious? what if there where 500 people in that lobby, that would be too much for your 360, and broadband, depending on what you have. But anyway, if you could talk in lobbys, then you wouldn't be able to hear people you're talking with from time to time.

Sodders
Oct 15, 2006, 07:42 AM
The problem I have with the 360 version is that the hud is SUPER tiny in HD.
It is hard to pay attention to your health since its all the way in the corner and its not within eye view of the action. They should have made it a teeny bit larger for HD players.. thats really tiny.

solidsolo
Oct 15, 2006, 08:27 AM
On 2006-10-15 03:17, shidoshi wrote:

i agree w/ u for some reason.. i expected more from the game.. it's very very very repetitive and simplistic

Miyoko
Oct 15, 2006, 08:28 AM
Keep in mind you're also getting 1/5th of the games content, if that >_>;

tyler2zelda
Oct 15, 2006, 08:35 AM
I'm guessing the Beta Players have about 13.63% of the current content, plus with updates, that number could dwindle down, say a year later, to a possible 5.62%

There's gonna be a bunch of new stuff, people!!

Ensong
Oct 15, 2006, 09:15 AM
I bought a Third Party mic, and everyone sounds good on it, and it's loud enough to hear people, I talk to alot of people in my parties.

physic
Oct 15, 2006, 09:39 AM
i dunno how much they got, but they dont start off with much anyhow, 2 planets a few missions and no story, my guess is they wanted online gimped in the beginning so people will play offline early, buuut i think thats a miscalculation, the beginning of the game needs to draw people in, give em a lil bit mess with and love then make em wait, keep em wanting more, but you have to get them wanting first

AppieDPC
Oct 15, 2006, 09:46 AM
On 2006-10-15 06:27, solidsolo wrote:

i agree w/ u for some reason.. i expected more from the game.. it's very very very repetitive and simplistic

Just like PSO =)
Imo, if you didn't like PSO it might be best to stand clear from PSU, it's one big deja vu so far for me (doubt I'm the only one). Not that I mind, I loved PSO so I'm still getting PSU.

To me this Beta is like PSO version 1 from the DC except with already more levels than PSO =D

Kizzy
Oct 15, 2006, 09:48 AM
Does it really even matter? I mean, who cares...

Saigan
Oct 15, 2006, 09:57 AM
Personally voice chat irritates me lol. Some people don't shut up ><

"blahblahblahblahblah..." I usually wind up taking OFF my headset.

shidoshi
Oct 15, 2006, 04:17 PM
On 2006-10-15 06:35, tyler2zelda wrote:
I'm guessing the Beta Players have about 13.63% of the current content, plus with updates, that number could dwindle down, say a year later, to a possible 5.62%

There's gonna be a bunch of new stuff, people!!

Will that extra content fix the glaring problems I think this game has?

On 2006-10-15 07:46, AppieDPC wrote:
Just like PSO =)

The point is, after all of this time, it SHOULDN'T be just like PSO. I loved PSO back in the day, but it isn't back in the day anymore. Almost seven years later, and it seems like we've almost gotten nowhere. This, to me, feel like PSO v4 rather than a whole new game, which it should have been. You can keep what was great about PSO and take the idea into exciting new territory (think Resident Evil 4), but that wasn't done.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: shidoshi on 2006-10-15 14:26 ]</font>

afcakey
Oct 15, 2006, 04:23 PM
yeah i passed on the 360 because i figured since i'd be playing on the pc i could use ventrillo when partying with friends.

TheHutt
Oct 15, 2006, 04:29 PM
I've loved using the headset, not too too many of the people I've partied with use a headset, but I have a couple friends who play the beta with me and it's good that we can use the voice chat to talk. And there have been a few people who have headsets and we just talk so much trash and laugh and it's a really good time so I like the headset, and true, if I wanted to I could always just get ventrilo for PC version... but I generally look at PSU as a console MMO and so I might just get it for 360 anyways.

TheHutt
Oct 15, 2006, 04:35 PM
On 2006-10-15 06:27, solidsolo wrote:

I love repetitive adventure RPG's... they're spose to be extremely simply and fun, that's what makes them so much more addictive. Like how WoW or Diablo II are extremely easy to get into, easy to go far really fast kind of game.

Besides it's only been out for like 2 days, and it's a beta, not the full game.

[[Sorry For Double Post]] http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheHutt on 2006-10-15 14:36 ]</font>

EC_Subbie
Oct 15, 2006, 04:43 PM
I joined a clain with some people before the beta started. We play every day..usually at least 4 of us on at any time. There's voice chatting every battle this way. I found that people are a little weird and don't voice chat if you just join a random party, but I guess that's just how it is with strangers.

GruesomeWolf
Oct 15, 2006, 04:46 PM
I haven't been in a party where people were not talking.

They've all been great.

The only griefers I've encountered were in lobbies, trying to "type chat" annoying things since, THANK GOD, they cannot scream them into a microphone to bother me anymore. And once I see who the griefers are in the lobby, I just never let them in my parties.

So far, aside from the tutorial crash I experienced, I think its been great.

AND, the voice-lag is GONE!!!

It sounds to me like the creator of this thread was unlucky in the pubbers he chose to stick around with. (Mind you, he apparently did choose to stay partied with the silent people)

I was leaning towards the 360 version, since I have one, this beta has sealed the deal. The 360 version is EXACTLY what I want.

AppieDPC
Oct 15, 2006, 05:24 PM
On 2006-10-15 14:17, shidoshi wrote:
The point is, after all of this time, it SHOULDN'T be just like PSO. I loved PSO back in the day, but it isn't back in the day anymore. Almost seven years later, and it seems like we've almost gotten nowhere. This, to me, feel like PSO v4 rather than a whole new game, which it should have been. You can keep what was great about PSO and take the idea into exciting new territory (think Resident Evil 4), but that wasn't done.

Though I still didn't play RE4 (got it though) so I don't know how it compares to this situation, but when I looked at movies from people playing PSU it was already visible it played just like PSO. And I asked myself the same question you did: Why didn't they make it better?!

Then I wondered: did I ever bitch about how PSO played? Not really. Which is probably what ST was thinking: why fix something if it isn't broken? Coming back to your RE story, I can name a few things that I'd consider broken. Note: talking about RE's excluding RE4 since I didn't play it. Maybe those broken things I'm thinking of got fixed in RE4 which is why that game is so great according to many?

I think ST fixed the crap that needed fixing:
Actual (offline) story? Check. Better chances of wiping out cheats with serverside saves? Check. Add in some more stuff to make it a bit more interesting than PSO was? Though lacking info because I only played Beta: check imo.

Of course if you got ideas to totally boost this game to a new level well above PSO, please share. Share them with ST too.

I seriously wonder how much you could "reinvent" an action RPG though. To me, it's like asking to reinvent a realistic racing game when you already released a version or multiple of it (Gran Turismo for example).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AppieDPC on 2006-10-15 15:26 ]</font>

CrazySwayzee
Oct 15, 2006, 05:50 PM
the xbox 360 version probably has the best graphic and ease of use for your buck.

if you have a xbox360 you should get the xbox 360 version, the ps2 version is probably a no-no.

im sure alot of 360 users will use voice chat and/or keyboards, you really can't say how many people will be using voice chat because alot of the people playing the beta won't be getting the actual game.

and if you have a bad pc, then pc should be a no-no as well