PDA

View Full Version : Dear idiots, stop calling things "faggy" and "gay"!

adamgnome104
Oct 15, 2006, 01:07 PM
If I hear one more idiot calling something they thing is stupid, "faggy" or "gay" I'm going to go insane. And the amount of people that throw the world "faggot" around like crazy are just so damn offensive.

Does anyone realize how offensive it is? Go up to a bunch of black people and...you know where this is going...it's the same damn thing it's extremely offensive.

And kids don't realize it, no one knows how to give respect anymore it's so stupid!

I'm so frustrated with this.

Mwabwetumba
Oct 15, 2006, 01:30 PM
Well, in my surroundings, the word ¨Gay¨ (as in, homosexual, not happy) has lost every single ounce of its usual meaning.

Me: Yo people, PSU is out in, like, two weeks!

Random dude: Gay

Me: Whats so gay about that?

Random dude: Nothin...just had to say something

Me: That is like, so gay..

Common way to start a conversation..atleast no-one gets offended by it, everyone throws it around like nothing..

DikkyRay
Oct 15, 2006, 01:58 PM
Me and my friends use it so often, its almost like saying stupid. Oh, im talking about gay, we use that.
Foggot, i agree, it is completely offensive. I would never use it in public, i joke around with my friends using it in the saftey of a home.
Im not usin gay as often tho, seeing as i got a detention for it...

Ronk
Oct 15, 2006, 02:52 PM
I know when to say Gay, and when not to say Gay. Moreover, often times, I find that there are many better words to use than Gay; however, when I can't think of anything to say to something that is stupid, I say gay.

DikkyRay
Oct 15, 2006, 02:56 PM
On 2006-10-15 12:44, VR-Raiden wrote:
dude that's gay

lmao vr
Oh, i foget to say, me and vr use gay (well, gey cuz gay is censored) online all the time.
To no one in particular, just cuz we're idiots

DonRoyale
Oct 15, 2006, 05:11 PM
Or 'queer', that's offensive too.

(Just thought of that because my class calls a lot of stuff 'gay', and this one really negative guy says everything's 'queer' :)

Pretty soon we'll start using the black people's term as non-offensive as well. :

What is the world coming to? ...:

Mixfortune
Oct 15, 2006, 05:16 PM
Luckily for us English is capable of many other words that will work just as well for commentary that won't be as potentially offensive, regardless of whether it's right that it's offensive or not.

Nothing a stronger vocabulary wouldn't fix.

Alielle
Oct 15, 2006, 05:31 PM
I like calling stuff "hetero."

Skorpius
Oct 15, 2006, 08:05 PM
Things aren't offensive unless someone wants to make it an issue.

Solstis
Oct 15, 2006, 10:03 PM
On 2006-10-15 18:05, Skorpius wrote:
Things aren't offensive unless someone wants to make it an issue.

It's easier for a person to stop using offensive words than it is to stop being offended, since taking offense is generely based on sociological ties, or the lack thereof.

A member of a community, if the entire community finds itself offended by a word or phrase, will have a difficult time ignoring that. If someone that I shared a lot in common with was offended by a word, I would probably be swayed by their indignation.

Libertarian based thoughts are often nice, but they often ignore the whole "society" thing. They have a nice soapbox, and a lot of good issues, but personal choice isn't a strong of a determinant in behavior as they, or skorpius, might think.

Skorpius
Oct 16, 2006, 02:59 AM
I just find getting upset over a word is a waste of energy that could be put elsewhere, especially since the meaningful offensiveness of orientation or racial slangs is really diluted when used casually. It's much easier to just not get panty-twisted over WORDS.

Trust me.

darthsaber9x9
Oct 16, 2006, 06:01 AM
I think it's just the result of evolution of the language.

Xaos127
Oct 16, 2006, 09:05 AM
I can't believe no one has yet called this topic gay or queer.
I used to use gay, or queer as a common insult to friends and what not, but I dated a girl with a homo-sexual brother, so she kinda made me stop saying it.
Besides, anyone who says it nowdays should go to a Death Camp of Tolerance.

Daikarin
Oct 16, 2006, 05:01 PM
Should I make a revolution whenever a feminist or whatever, calls me a "machist pig" as well?

How about not giving a damn?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Daikarin on 2006-10-16 15:04 ]</font>

Dangerous55
Oct 16, 2006, 05:42 PM
On 2006-10-16 00:59, Skorpius wrote:
I just find getting upset over a word is a waste of energy that could be put elsewhere, especially since the meaningful offensiveness of orientation or racial slangs is really diluted when used casually. It's much easier to just not get panty-twisted over WORDS.

Trust me.

I agree.

Now, when I walk up to a bunch of gay guys and scream "Faggots!" I expect them to get pissed, luckily I have a bat with me when I do it.

JK

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Solstis
Oct 16, 2006, 08:55 PM
Telling people to not be offended is like the victor telling the loser to suck it up.

You either have to be a part of the majority or truly apathetic to really think that people should back down. Respect is a part of the larger campaign for civil rights. Civility is not an issue if respect is not.

(Edited for incoherencies and poor grammar)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2006-10-16 19:01 ]</font>

Scejntjynahl
Oct 16, 2006, 09:26 PM
It just shows complete lack of intellect and free will when you succumb to using such words to express something that can already be easily expressed with the correct word. You think something is stupid... by all means say "stupid". Such a fascination people must have to twist words into meaning something it was never intended to mean to begin with. Gives them a pseudo sense of power and control.
Look, Im not a conformist because I say "gay" instead of "stupid". Go me, Im special! feh -_-

Dangerous55
Oct 16, 2006, 10:13 PM
And yet gay first meant happy, or merry, neither of the two we are arguing now. Fascinating.

Using it does not show any lack of intellect. I say it alot among friends. I am not trying to have power from it, that is stupid. We should all stop looking into this so fucking much. The way you say things is far more important than what you say, especially in this situatuon.

Bleemo
Oct 16, 2006, 10:29 PM
On 2006-10-16 20:13, Dangerous55 wrote:
And yet gay first meant happy, or merry, neither of the two we are arguing now. Fascinating.

Using it does not show any lack of intellect. I say it alot among friends. I am not trying to have power from it, that is stupid. We should all stop looking into this so fucking much. The way you say things is far more important than what you say, especially in this situatuon.

The real point is that we use "gay" or "faggot" to describe things that we don't like. Obviously we would not be calling things we don't like "gay" because it means "happy". We're calling it "gay" because it means "homosexual", something most of society considers incorrect, or wrong. To use those words in that context, it's clear-as-day descrimination.

Say, we as a society decide one day, "HEY! Let's use "ARAB" to describe things we don't like! Like, "Man, this shit is so arab." If you were an Arabian, wouldn't you be insulted? It's the same thing, brother.

The real question is: should we descriminate, or should we not? The answer is left up to you.

And yes, you can descriminate even when you don't mean to do so.

Solstis
Oct 16, 2006, 10:52 PM
In the first instance of changing gay from happy to homosexual, it was an act of power, to cast (the activists thought) a positive light on homosexuals. I'm sure that some people complained, but they were probably homophobic anyway.

Now, when using gay to mean "stupid," there is power involved too, but it is more to supress than it is to elevate.

Dangerous, it is true that most don't mean anything by it, but using the word casually represents hate, though without intention. I can see where you're coming from, but I still disagree.

Dangerous55
Oct 17, 2006, 01:47 AM
On 2006-10-16 20:52, Solstis wrote:

Dangerous, it is true that most don't mean anything by it, but using the word casually represents hate, though without intention. I can see where you're coming from, but I still disagree.

Nope, I disagree. When I say gay I am not thinking "society doesnt like gay people just as I do not like this whatever". In regards to this, it is not discrimination. This is such a silly thing to get bent out of shape over. I could go through everything and find something to be offended over. I don't though because I am not that kind of person. Language changes, I don't care how it changes it is all in how the individual uses it. Don't blame me because some asshole in Michigian is a homophobe.

Bleemo
Oct 17, 2006, 02:06 AM
On 2006-10-16 23:47, Dangerous55 wrote:
Nope, I disagree. When I say gay I am not thinking "society doesnt like gay people just as I do not like this whatever". In regards to this, it is not discrimination. This is such a silly thing to get bent out of shape over. I could go through everything and find something to be offended over. I don't though because I am not that kind of person. Language changes, I don't care how it changes it is all in how the individual uses it. Don't blame me because some asshole in Michigian is a homophobe.

How the hell is it not discrimination? You didn't elaborate on any of your opinions in that post.

The use of "gay" is refering to "homosexual". When you say something is gay, you're saying something is homosexual. There is no other definition you put behind "gay" or "faggot" in those situations. You're telling me that when you use the word gay, you're putting your own definition behind it?

It actually isn't a silly thing to get bent out of shape over. The use of gay or faggot in those contexts are direct insults to who these people are.

What is easier: telling a person to stop using a word, or telling a person to change who they are? One of those will have to come about before any discrimination ends.

Skorpius
Oct 17, 2006, 05:24 AM
You could just not get so bent out of shape because of words. That seems like a reasonably simplistic suggestion. The energy wasted on getting so upset could be put into more important and constructive things.

On 2006-10-16 20:52, Solstis wrote:
it is true that most don't mean anything by it, but using the word casually represents hate, though without intention.
Kind of like how "nigger" represents hate but is now casual slang nowadays? That's actually a really interesting example. The word was accepted to represent a type of brotherhood among men, kinship among close friends. Now, the word no longer holds hatefull weight except in the minds of those who can't let that hate go themselves. It's not a problem until you make it a problem. Words do nothing, but if you personally add hatefull meaning behind them then that causes all kinds of problems.

You can't change the world, you can only change yourself.

Actions speak louder than words.

Etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2006-10-17 03:25 ]</font>

Dangerous55
Oct 17, 2006, 11:18 AM
On 2006-10-17 00:06, Bleemo wrote:

How the hell is it not discrimination? You didn't elaborate on any of your opinions in that post.

The use of "gay" is refering to "homosexual". When you say something is gay, you're saying something is homosexual. There is no other definition you put behind "gay" or "faggot" in those situations. You're telling me that when you use the word gay, you're putting your own definition behind it?

It actually isn't a silly thing to get bent out of shape over. The use of gay or faggot in those contexts are direct insults to who these people are.

What is easier: telling a person to stop using a word, or telling a person to change who they are? One of those will have to come about before any discrimination ends.

So I am a bigot? Whatever, I don't want to be around anyone, gay, straight, bi, black, white, green who gets upset about this.

Life is to short for this.

DikkyRay
Oct 17, 2006, 04:10 PM
On 2006-10-17 09:18, Dangerous55 wrote:

On 2006-10-17 00:06, Bleemo wrote:

So I am a bigot? Whatever, I don't want to be around anyone, gay, straight, bi, black, white, green who gets upset about this.

Life is to short for this.

You win dangerous, no one can argue against that...

And i think that every word can have its own meaning. you may think that a word is wrong but that doesn't mean it is. Gay, the n-bomb, f-bomb, etc are used way to often. Im amazed that people are offended by the word gay. I can understand if someone discriminates you, lets say not let you eat at a deli, for example, because you are a "faggot". THAT is a good reason to get angry over. But if a group of friends jokingly call one another fags or gay, and you get angry, then you are messed up. Me and a few friends call each other gay all the time. Are we bad people? no.Just because we use "gay" or "fag" does not mean we are hating on homosexuals. It means that we are immature. GET OVER IT

Bleemo
Oct 17, 2006, 06:11 PM
You all do realise the argument about how someone shouldn't get upset by words, and the argument that certain words shouldn't be said out of consideration are two totally different debates, right?

The OP wasn't making this post about how people should feel when certain words are said, he was making the post asking people to stop using those words around others.

How do you think a person should feel about simple words are said directed toward them? They shouldn't get worked up over them, that is the obvious answer. Because they are only words. THAT isn't the argument though. The argument is about whether people should use these words or not out of consideration for those who would get offended in our society.

Using "well u guys shuld just get ovr it cuz words shuldnt hurt u" against the debate about whether we should use these words or not is avoiding the subject entirely. You're basically saying, "I'm going to use these words and I don't care what others think." If that really is what you're saying, that is up to you how you use your language.

adamgnome104
Oct 17, 2006, 07:39 PM
Bleemo I really appriciate the fact you have defended me, and anyone else who agrees with me, thank I really appriciate it a lot.

I'm very tired of having to ignore my problems, that's not how you solve them. You have to understand, that telling someone they're a FAGGOT is offenseive! Anything other than realizing your at fault is only a way for your on concious not to catch up with you.

It doesn't matter what you think should offend someone or not, I'm tired of being called a faggot just becuase of my personal life, I'm tired of people not realizing that they are so offensive when they call other people faggy or a faggot hurts so much. People just don't understand, and the fact that you don't have any empthy towards people like me is horrible.

It really, really hurts, I don't think I'm at fault if I don't want to be CALLED A FAGGOT EVERY DAY! :|

DikkyRay
Oct 17, 2006, 08:22 PM
whose calling you a faggot? Have you asked them to stop? Maybe theres an explanation for this. Maybe they view you as their friend, and thats what they do. Don't jump to conclusions right away. I was called gay by a few people, and one turned out to be my best friend now. They just wanted me to talk to them and be their friend

watashiwa
Oct 17, 2006, 08:45 PM
How about not being so overly sensitive about stuff like this? =(

(BTW, this thread is gay irl..)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2006-10-17 18:46 ]</font>

Dangerous55
Oct 17, 2006, 09:09 PM
On 2006-10-17 17:39, adamgnome104 wrote:

It really, really hurts, I don't think I'm at fault if I don't want to be CALLED A FAGGOT EVERY DAY! :|

Resort to violence and turn there ribs to jelly or tell them off verbally. Or just not care and live how you want to live. Honestly, you are never going to get someone to stop by telling them it hurts your feelings.

Nobody is arguing calling someone a faggot is not offensive. Just like walking up to a black guy and calling him a nigger, very offensive. We are telling you when the words are not even used in the same ballpark(for instance, "This TV show is gay." or "You are my nigger." you should not get offended. Personally if you do when I say that, well sorry but fuck you don't deal with me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dangerous55 on 2006-10-17 19:10 ]</font>

Garroway
Oct 17, 2006, 09:17 PM
I believe it was George Carlan who already made a point about the use of language in society. He was referancing the word Nigger but I think his point is applicable to the argument at hand. If you do not know what I am referring to I feel that it is something worth looking into.

adamgnome104
Oct 18, 2006, 09:43 PM
On 2006-10-17 19:09, Dangerous55 wrote:

On 2006-10-17 17:39, adamgnome104 wrote:

Resort to violence and turn there ribs to jelly or tell them off verbally. Or just not care and live how you want to live. Honestly, you are never going to get someone to stop by telling them it hurts your feelings.

Nobody is arguing calling someone a faggot is not offensive. Just like walking up to a black guy and calling him a nigger, very offensive. We are telling you when the words are not even used in the same ballpark(for instance, "This TV show is gay." or "You are my nigger." you should not get offended. Personally if you do when I say that, well sorry but fuck you don't deal with me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dangerous55 on 2006-10-17 19:10 ]</font>

Oh don't worry everyone loves INTERNET TOUGH GUYS! :3

Dangerous55
Oct 18, 2006, 11:33 PM
On 2006-10-18 19:43, adamgnome104 wrote:

Oh don't worry everyone loves INTERNET TOUGH GUYS! :3

Someone is calling you a faggot on the internet?

-Shimarisu-
Oct 18, 2006, 11:51 PM
Inevitable this thread is gay.

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 19, 2006, 12:09 AM
All right, that's enough of this.