PDA

View Full Version : Would it be dumb to make a Newman Ranger?

drmcst45
Oct 15, 2006, 02:37 PM
If i wanted to make a Ranger that could cast magic?

or should I go with Human Ranger?

which would be less of a waste?

Uncle_bob
Oct 15, 2006, 02:39 PM
If you made a newman ranger, you could not use techniques right away. However, once you met the requirements to change to the Guntecher job, then you could use them.

MXdude
I made a Female newman Ranger.

Zarbolord
If you're up to a hcallenge, yes, go newman ranger. That would be really cool on my opinion. hey, I'm making a Guntecher cast based on techs, so I'm backing your idea up http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Zarbolord
Oct 15, 2006, 02:41 PM
Go Guntecher! Guntechers rule whatever their race be http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Ronk
Oct 15, 2006, 02:47 PM
A newman ranger isn't the best idea, but almost any class can be worked in this game, so go ahead!

kassy
Oct 15, 2006, 02:48 PM
As a guntecher you'd be able to have lv10 skills, lv30 bullets and lv10 techniques, you're more ra than fo, but with a Newman’s inherently good mst/tap it might actually balance out into a really fun race/class combo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kassy on 2006-10-15 12:48 ]</font>

Itsuki
Oct 15, 2006, 03:31 PM
I played a female newman ranger for a while now, and I actually do rather well. You basically have equivalent accuracy to a cast, with the major difference being that you're evasion and magic defence based rather than physical defence based. The guns basically make up for your lower atp, and you aren't exactly expected to deal huge amounts of damage as a ranger.

The evasion can be both a good and a bad thing though. Rangers excel at evasion, so this strength is hieghtened. But at the same time, when digging in close to monsters, especailly when going melee, you can find that you evade too much to do skills. But its actually rather useful in many situations. I can dodge half of most boss attacks. Some things that if they would have hit me all, even if I was a cast, would kill me. Its a bit random, but it saves me. While a cast on the other hand is like a big metal rock that just takes the damage and almost never evades.

When ranged though, the main thing that hits you is going to be magic, and the higher MST is noticable.

I just recently switched to guntecher to try it out since I didn't have the money to buy a gernade launcher (and make fortegunner worthwhile). I'm actually enjoying guntecher. But theres a few things you have to realize: You're technique ability is very limitted. You have the ability to cast techs, but they will never replace your guns. You'll never have the TAP to be primary support, and you'll never have the TAP to nuke. Actual casters, even wartechers, will have twice if not three times your natural TAP, so expect your techs to deal half of what a force deals, if not less. People my level have around 1000hp, and I resta for a whopping 300. Which helps, but doesn't replace a force that can actually resta for 800+. I find I mainly use Gi-techs to get monsters off of me, and use simple techs against monsters that have either too much flee to hit (bugs) or too much defence to deal noticable damage (mechs).

SpishackCola
Oct 15, 2006, 03:59 PM
Do you think it is dumb? If not, then go for it. Simple as that.

Spacepest
Oct 15, 2006, 04:01 PM
Wow, this sounds interesting. I'd never have really thought to have make a newman ranger.

In PSO, my main toon was a Ramarl. For PSU, I wanted to go force this time, and maybe make a ranger toon as a secondary character. But from what has been said in previous posts, I might end up making a hybrid class like guntecher. This sounds so neat, I can't wait to get ahold of this game.

Ether
Oct 15, 2006, 04:51 PM
On 2006-10-15 13:31, Itsuki-chan wrote:
People my level have around 1000hp, and I resta for a whopping 300. Which helps, but doesn't replace a force that can actually resta for 800+.

I find that surprising, I thought resta didn't have a TAP modifier. Do you know for sure its the TAP holding you back, or could it just be the skill level?

Itsuki
Oct 15, 2006, 08:06 PM
could be skil level aswell. My resta is only level 5-6. But then again, I can't get higher than level 10 techs anyways. Which would mean that my healing ability is still going to be low either way.

I'm inclined to believe that TAP does effect it though. Only because I remember that FOcasts can't heal a character to full either.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Itsuki-chan on 2006-10-15 18:08 ]</font>

xzeekzx
Oct 15, 2006, 08:42 PM
go for it if it sounds fun. Heck, you could be great at it. This game's a lot more about skill in my opinion. Plus, fun's a big factor, gotta enjoy what you are doing, ya know?

CpwninOBrien
Oct 15, 2006, 08:46 PM
ya i agree xzeekzx

SpikeWT1
Oct 15, 2006, 09:29 PM
Wait I though guntecher was Skill 10 tech 20 bullet 20. Any way you shuld be fine. it just won't come as easy.

Ether
Oct 16, 2006, 03:41 AM
On 2006-10-15 18:06, Itsuki-chan wrote:
I'm inclined to believe that TAP does effect it though. Only because I remember that FOcasts can't heal a character to full either.

I just tested this and TAP does infact effect Resta. Using a Yohmei wand and no head unit I was healing myself for noticably less than with a GRM wand and +32 TAP unit. The head unit alone improved resta by about 20 or so points

On 2006-10-15 19:29, SpikeWT1 wrote:
Wait I though guntecher was Skill 10 tech 20 bullet 20. Any way you shuld be fine. it just won't come as easy.

Guntecher is Skill 10 Tech 10 Bullet 30

Niki
Oct 16, 2006, 04:46 AM
On 2006-10-15 12:37, drmcst45 wrote:
If i wanted to make a Ranger that could cast magic?

or should I go with Human Ranger?

which would be less of a waste?

The biggest waste, in my opinion, would be allowing either the stats or others' prejudices to influence your desired character.

However, that's coming from someone who plays for fun. Most people don't, in my experience.

UltraDeeDer
Oct 16, 2006, 05:09 AM
The soloution is to play as a Newman Force until your job level reaches 5/3 (whatever you need, by that time you will be quite high in level) then switch to Ranger so your higher ATA level meets the early requirements for usuing ranged weaponry.

Ryo_Hayasa
Oct 16, 2006, 08:41 AM
Yeah i believe people called FO-Ranger/Force the "Ultimate Debuffer"

Infact now that i think about it, you could totally lock up an enemy from doing anything.

Use your Lightening skill to Shock the enemies, then go around using your level 30 bullets to silence them also. Hah, all without wasting your PP.

Aberu
Oct 16, 2006, 09:54 AM
My friend is going RAnewearl when it comes out too. I think it's a good idea. I'm going HUcast so we might be a good teamup.