PDA

View Full Version : Guilds / Clans

NeuroNomad
Oct 16, 2006, 01:54 AM
I am pretty sure I read that at least at release PSU will not feature any type of Guild/Clan controls and so forth. That being said are there any Guilds/Clans being planned without said tools. Maybe just via a Guild website and so forth. Just curious.

Weak
Oct 16, 2006, 01:56 AM
With a game that doesn't have content that demands large groups of people, I've never seen guilds or clans necessary. Other than just for the hell of it.

NeuroNomad
Oct 16, 2006, 01:58 AM
I could see them just as a way for a group of people to get to know each other and if your regular friends are online you could have people to group with without relying on a PUG.

Hajile
Oct 16, 2006, 02:03 AM
Theres unofficial guilds yes , did you check the player match up forums?

Also on the official PSU forums :
http://phantasystaruniverse.com/index.php

Ryogen
Oct 16, 2006, 02:13 AM
Guilds/Clands are good. You don't need tools to forum a guild or clan. All you need is a community. Here check out my guild for PSU called APATHY. (http://clan.maverickforce.com/) Here are two legendary quotes:

On 2006-09-28 03:27, Ryogen wrote:
I read though the thread and many of you don't have a fully understand of what most guilds are and what most guilds isn't. A guild in PSU would most likely be for easy communication, trustworthy, friendship and a helping hand in a community. Would you rather be in a guild where you have people you can play with, communicate, trust (with items, money, etc), and befriend with rather than be with people who will use you, backstab, annoy, nag or make a dishonest trade with you?

Many guilds are made for a community basis. Communication, trust, friendship and a helping hand. That is what real guilds are about. Stop comparing PSU to games like WoW and Everquest. A different game is a different goal.

Some of you lost the idea of a Guild as a easy communication community rather than a powerleveling, powerhungry and fame based play. Most guilds are like that, but I don't think a guild like that would make it far in PSU.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryogen on 2006-09-28 03:28 ]</font>

On 2006-09-28 05:43, AngelLight wrote:
Alot of these negative responses seem to be from people who were having organizational problems and/or conflicts in previous MMOs, mainly focused on FFXI which is pretty much on it's last legs. I haven't played FFXI in quite a long time, but from what I've heard its been rapidly spiraling downhill. In that case then, any MMO will be a fresh start, including here.

However, like anything, a good guild or clan will support an ideal of team play, cooperation, and family. Any competent "non-power-rushing" organization will tell you that. Since this game will also not open up with PvP, these tenents are even more critical to the PvE focus then in any other MMO. And yet, what we're seeing here is a more soloist bent (yes you'll rack up lots of friends and could theoretically play with them, but it seems that there's more of a hardline independence coming from the PSO forum community). I suspect that this too is also due to the fact that most of its members seem to be ex-FFXI players, aka the most solo unfriendly MMO on the face of the planet today. Nothing wrong with being able to solo from time to time.

But, in the end, if you're in a good guild....with good people....who share the same idealogy....there's no reason why that guild should ever have drama or cause friction. What everyone seems to be describing is either a PvP bent (which wont exist here for the time being) or poor leadership or organizational problems. But again, I imagine I wont convert anyone due to the fact that I truly sympathize with anyone who has played FFXI this long.

The only thing that really surprised me on this thread was that there's a mod for this site posting anti-guild when the site itself has its own personal "team page" hosting for guilds http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Of course, even mods have the right to have their own opinions. ^_^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AngelLight on 2006-09-28 05:45 ]</font>

Genobee
Oct 16, 2006, 02:16 AM
Why do you wanna make a clan? Just so people know you know people so you don't look like a loser? And if I remeber clans where luaghed off PSO Xbox as being dumb

NeuroNomad
Oct 16, 2006, 02:24 AM
On 2006-10-16 00:16, Genobee wrote:
Why do you wanna make a clan? Just so people know you know people so you don't look like a loser? And if I remeber clans where luaghed off PSO Xbox as being dumb

No, for the same reason there are clans in any MMO. So you can have a pool of people that you can group with if your regular friends aren't on so you don't have to resort to a total PUG (Pick up Group).

Also to pool resources and for other reasons.

Ryogen
Oct 16, 2006, 02:31 AM
On 2006-10-16 00:24, NeuroNomad wrote:

No, for the same reason there are clans in any MMO. So you can have a pool of people that you can group with if your regular friends aren't on so you don't have to resort to a total PUG (Pick up Group).

Never listen to the peanut gallery. If you make a clan for the right reasons, based on teamwork, friendship, trust, and community, you will suceed no matter how many nay sayers there are. Your out there to mingle and have fun, not to be the best. As long as you keep that in mind you will have a good clan.

May clans look for strength and power or want to have certian requirements that most can't meet. Don't follow that path, becuase it will lead to a failure. Watch our clan for a while and you will see how a good clan operates bro.

Miyoko
Oct 16, 2006, 02:37 AM
No, there are no clans in the game;
No, they don't have any plans to put clans in the game;
No, they probably never WILL have plans to put guilds in the game;
No, clans in PSU are NOT a good idea -- it's a redundant, waste of space, that elitests need to try and feel special;
No, the idea offers nothing new to the sense of "community", nor anything helpful that the ingame friends list and partner card system doesn't offer.

Seriously, if I had a nickle for every time someone created another topic about guilds in PSU... I'd have a shit load of nickles.

NeuroNomad
Oct 16, 2006, 02:40 AM
I can't believe the harsh response in regards to the ideal of Guilds within the game. To those that are deadset against them, have you played other MMOs? So far all the MMOs I have played (and its well over a dozen of them) all had guilds and it was always a plus not a negative. Sure there are some elitist guilds out there, but the small ones that are just made up of friendly likeminded people that like to help each other out are a lot more common.

Maybe I am missing something as to why people dislike them so much in regards to PSU.

Ryogen
Oct 16, 2006, 02:44 AM
On 2006-10-16 00:37, Miyoko wrote:
No, there are no clans in the game;
No, they don't have any plans to put clans in the game;
No, they probably never WILL have plans to put guilds in the game;
No, clans in PSU are NOT a good idea -- it's a redundant, waste of space, that elitests need to try and feel special;
No, the idea offers nothing new to the sense of "community", nor anything helpful that the ingame friends list and partner card system doesn't offer.

Seriously, if I had a nickle for every time someone created another topic about guilds in PSU... I'd have a shit load of nickles.

I did a search and I think you would have under 25 nickles. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Seriously though you are wrong in some areas. The idea dosen't offer nothing new to the community outside of the guild, but it does inside. Having a guild equals more ways of contact (if you have a website) and communication. A friends list and partner card system makes it even easier methods of communication but what about when you system is off? That is when you can check up on the website.

PSOW is a community itself and becuase you are here that makes you a part of the group thus . . . well why don't you think about that.

Sorry for my spelling and grammar. I'm very tired.

Ryogen
Oct 16, 2006, 02:51 AM
On 2006-10-16 00:40, NeuroNomad wrote:
I can't believe the harsh response in regards to the ideal of Guilds within the game. To those that are deadset against them, have you played other MMOs? So far all the MMOs I have played (and its well over a dozen of them) all had guilds and it was always a plus not a negative. Sure there are some elitist guilds out there, but the small ones that are just made up of friendly likeminded people that like to help each other out are a lot more common.

Maybe I am missing something as to why people dislike them so much in regards to PSU.

I would assume that most had bad experiences in some guilds in online games. You can have a community yet build a community. Some people have a dislike towords them when they are in such a community themseves such as the PSOW forums. Maybe some don't put a deeper and understanding thought about some things, well if they beleive that then let them. You can always be there to make a difference and not let a few people drive you away from what you want to do.

It's all how you do it when it comes to making a guild or clan. DON'T MAKE IT FOR A GAIN. Make it for yourself and for others. When your in a community, there are people who will dislike it, but it's your job to make that community hold together.

lolichan
Oct 16, 2006, 04:55 AM
any successful mmo will eventually need a guild system. that is all.

Genobee
Oct 16, 2006, 10:28 AM
On 2006-10-16 00:24, NeuroNomad wrote:

Hey buddy thats what the freinds list is for. Also this an't WoW you don't need a group for every thing, most you ever are gonna have is 6 people, and there is no clan system, why make a clan when there is no clan sytem. Also if one guy is and idiot then it makes you all look bad.

FrogKicker
Oct 16, 2006, 11:39 AM
On 2006-10-16 02:55, lolichan wrote:

That would be of some help if this was an MMO.

BioWarrior
Oct 16, 2006, 11:43 AM
On 2006-10-16 09:39, tr8ergirl wrote:

On 2006-10-16 02:55, lolichan wrote:

That would be of some help if this was an MMO.

Agreed, and if it WAS a MMO it probable wouldn't be as fun.

mogshaz
Oct 16, 2006, 11:46 AM
Just because a game doesn't have a Guild feature doesn't mean its unnecessary for it to have one, or that it wouldn't be useful in some way. Games like Mechwarrior 4 and Unreal both have guilds outside a built in system. Guilds are just a sort of stamp of approval for people to choose who to team with. you know a friend of your friend might be cool to play with and an easy way to identify that person would be if you are all in the same guild.

AlterHero
Oct 16, 2006, 11:49 AM
I dont mind unnofficial guilds, besides i always party up with the same 5 other people anyway so its cool

BioWarrior
Oct 16, 2006, 11:51 AM
Ya unofficial guilds are cool, I personally aren't interest in one, but when they are forced into the game it tends to bring out peoples greedy side alot more often which is very apparent in FFXI.

FrogKicker
Oct 16, 2006, 11:52 AM
Need a guild to play with friends? It's called a partner card. On the 360 you can take it a step further and keep in touch via gamertags.

Abeatron
Oct 16, 2006, 11:53 AM
Excuse my n00biness, but why are ya'll hatin' on clans so much? I guess some of you have bad experiences with clans and guilds, and as i said earlier in the text, I'm a noob to the bones. My only experience with clans/guilds was with a Swedish Guild in guildwars when i played that, must have been a year ago or so. But that was a clan where the social part where the main-frame. And the better players helped the newer ones (me). If u can get a guild to work as my Guild-leader did with that, then I say go for it, because it realy does help.

DrEngrish
Oct 16, 2006, 12:59 PM
I could care less if people decide to make unofficial guilds or not...

In the end does it really matter anyway? To those of you who think its a total waste of time and its meant for people who want attention, just ignore them... and to those of you who think its a good way to network and avoid relying on PUGs, make a guild/clan.

Nobody is REALLY going to talk either side out of thinking what they want to think... why not just enjoy the game they way YOU choose to... and let everyone else do the same.

>.<

Naes_Siwel
Oct 16, 2006, 02:18 PM
On 2006-10-16 10:59, DrEngrish wrote:

In the end does it really matter anyway? To those of you who think its a total waste of time and its meant for people who want attention, just ignore them... and to those of you who think its a good way to network and avoid relying on PUGs, make a guild/clan.

Nobody is REALLY going to talk either side out of thinking what they want to think... why not just enjoy the game they way YOU choose to... and let everyone else do the same.

>.<

QFT. Everyone has their own opinion on guilds. Arguing about it isn't going to change anything really. Just have to deal with it is all

Realmz
Oct 16, 2006, 02:29 PM
the way i see it, i'd put all the people here at PSOW as one guild, the horror!

AngelLight
Oct 16, 2006, 02:31 PM
On 2006-10-16 10:59, DrEngrish wrote:

>.<

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gifFuture Nobel Prize Winner Here, This is a QFT for sure.

Again, most of the PSOW crowd here are ex-FFXI....this attitude is to be expected based on how that game had it's game mechanics.

Ultimately, I'm sure you'll do well NeuroNomad, as you seem to have the right mentality for looking for a family. I wish you well and look forward to seeing how you were able to make out in your search on release day.

Ryogen
Oct 16, 2006, 02:52 PM
On 2006-10-16 12:29, Realmz wrote:
the way i see it, i'd put all the people here at PSOW as one guild, the horror!

This is actually a community that leads to a certain group. If people don't like clans or gilds, take a look at the community your in right now.

FrogKicker
Oct 16, 2006, 02:56 PM
This is actually a community that leads to a certain group. If people don't like clans or gilds, take a look at the community your in right now.

What? If you are saying these forums pretty much are a guild...huh? I don't really associate myself with most of these people as guildmates or anything even close to it. As most of em are, well...they make me want to do bad thiings to kittens.

If that's not what you are saying, then splain it some. Your typing skills hurt my head.

Ryogen
Oct 16, 2006, 03:31 PM
On 2006-10-16 12:56, tr8ergirl wrote:

What? If you are saying these forums pretty much are a guild...huh? I don't really associate myself with most of these people as guildmates or anything even close to it. As most of em are, well...they make me want to do bad thiings to kittens.

If that's not what you are saying, then splain it some. Your typing skills hurt my head.

...hummm me and you have somthing in common about this place...but yea, not exactly a guild with a leader, but a community of people. which can be a place with no leader.

Genobee
Oct 17, 2006, 07:10 AM
I just think unofficial guilds is nothing but an attempt to say HEY GUYS LOOK I GOT FRIENDS! no one cares, Also PSU is not realy in the "SENSE" of a word an MMO, there is realy nothign massive about it

Flame6
Oct 17, 2006, 07:12 AM
dude i dont need clans since theres the user card thingy....but i understand where your coming from for wanting clans but i really dont think we need sega to help us find people we like to play with.

AlMcFly
Oct 17, 2006, 07:15 AM
My guild was formed mainly for the sole purpose of helping each other. We will do group runs together and share drops evenly making sure the right items get to the members that need it the most. Essentially trying to avoid the random "nobody knows each other" groups who will be arguing over rare drops and "why did it go to him, he's not even a ranger, grrrrr", lol. Also we set up some teamspeak through xfire (although undecided yet if I will use it).

*edit* Oh, and there's no ranks in our guild. Everyone is equal. That way we avoid the so called "elitist" or "commander" attitude ;P.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: McFlyVII on 2006-10-17 05:17 ]</font>

Flame6
Oct 17, 2006, 07:18 AM
my group of 4 guys is so much better. My guys are the greatest group ive ever played any game with. I love the voice chat because we sit and talk throught the whole game and really have a good time telliin jokes and making fun of each other.

EC_Subbie
Oct 17, 2006, 07:26 AM
I'm in one, our forum is cobra.aceboard.com It's a good small group of people who are talkative and enjoyable to play with. I don't like random parties with strangers because there's a sense of coldness, no talking etc... Just having a static group of people to play with is always a good thing in online games/rpgs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EC_Subbie on 2006-10-17 05:26 ]</font>

Flame6
Oct 17, 2006, 07:27 AM
i do think you need a static group i just dont think sega sould spend time and do it for us.