PDA

View Full Version : PSU: Fortegunner or Guntecher?

FenixStryk
Oct 16, 2006, 03:06 AM
I've been playing the 360 beta for a while now, and I love it, despite some rather small downfalls. Through my experiences, I've learned that a Rifle + Twin Handgun combo works great for Rangers, and a Spear or Mechgun/Saber works well for melee, as long as you enchant all of your weapons with Freeze. (Mechguns freeze opponents faster than you'd believe!)

Now, my problem. Rifles are great, especially since they're more accurate, have more range and more ammo. However, I REALLY like my Twin Handguns. With them, you can strafe and shoot at the same time, without ever stopping to shoot, not to mention the high rate of fire really gives baddies a cold foot. But, Fortegunners are stuck with A-tier Twin Handguns, while Guntechers have S-tier Twin Handguns. I almost want to go Guntecher just for the little guys!

But, Fortegunners have S-rank in weapons I've never even used; Grenade Launchers and Laser Cannons. These weapons seem fantastic, but since I've never tried them, and since it's not in the beta... I can't really choose.

Also, Guntechers have magic! Sure, I'm a CAST so my TP is about as low as your average troll, but it's definetly something to consider.

So, help me out. How do Grenade Launchers and Laser Cannons stack up? Should I give up my trusty strafe-shooting Twin Freeze Handguns for something foreign to me, or keep them and get magic and crossbows to boot?

Help!

EnixBelmont
Oct 16, 2006, 03:11 AM
I'd try the Grenade Launchers and Beam cannons first. Thanks to the ability of switching jobs, you can try both.

But if you don't feel like that, I'd say Guntecher would be more useful. Machine Gun and Cane combo with one attack spell and resta helps you solo.

FenixStryk
Oct 16, 2006, 03:13 AM
Almost forgot about class-switching! Thanks for the reminder, Enix.

BTW... I can't seem to figure out how to make the poll question shorter and independent of the actual topic-starter post, and I can't find the Forum Tips/FAQ... a little help?

Asura17
Oct 16, 2006, 03:16 AM
I like the stat bonus of Forte classes.. here they are.

Guntecher
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n293/itslovejuice/psu/advanced/statGUTEC.jpg
Fortegunner
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n293/itslovejuice/psu/advanced/statFOGU.jpg
IMO The weapons Fortegunner get are pretty sweet http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.. But try the weapons out and go with whatever you like to use most.

FenixStryk
Oct 16, 2006, 03:20 AM
Wow, those are some top-notch pics. I'm still not sure in the long run what I'll be, but I do know I'll start off as a Fortegunner and switch if I don't like the Grenade Launcher and Beam Cannon.

I guess this thread can stay as a Fortegunner vs. Guntecher thread! ;]

Elleranda
Oct 16, 2006, 03:35 AM
On 2006-10-16 01:16, Asura17 wrote:
I like the stat bonus of Forte classes.. here they are.

Guntecher
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n293/itslovejuice/psu/advanced/statGUTEC.jpg
Fortegunner
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n293/itslovejuice/psu/advanced/statFOGU.jpg
IMO The weapons Fortegunner get are pretty sweet http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.. But try the weapons out and go with whatever you like to use most.

Where did you get those?

Ether
Oct 16, 2006, 03:44 AM
On 2006-10-16 01:35, Elleranda wrote:

Where did you get those?

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=121267&forum=20

Elleranda
Oct 16, 2006, 03:50 AM
On 2006-10-16 01:44, Ether wrote:

On 2006-10-16 01:35, Elleranda wrote:

Where did you get those?

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=121267&forum=20

Yeah, I had just managed to find them and came here to edit my post. Thanks though.

Itsuki
Oct 16, 2006, 04:24 AM
I would take those stat differences with a grain of salt. The hybrid classes are weird in the way they level. The stats appear to be offset, so at very low levels, they look lower than they should be. I still haven't gotten around toy comparisons, but when I do, I'll post them.

As a cast, I say seriously consider fortegunner. It really emphasizes the qualities of a RAcast. You also have to keep in mind just how low a Guntecher's TAP is. The only tech you'll really be gaining is resta. Even as a newman guntecher, I probably deal less tech damage than a FOcast. Its not like you'd completely need to give up your dual handguns, you just won't be able to use the top of the top teir of them.

EC_Subbie
Oct 16, 2006, 04:27 AM
I'm going fortegunner all the way... I don't know the potential of grenade launcher/laser cannon yet but they must have some powerful advantages in their own way.

TwilightSea
Oct 16, 2006, 08:48 AM
I was wondering myself of going Guntecher so I can use the bow myself (should test those out before I try 'em) and be a master with all ranged weaponry but I might just keep with Fortegunner for that RAcast feel. I too will be a CAST/Ranger.

EnixBelmont
Oct 16, 2006, 09:02 AM
Bows are awesome looking. My friend is being a beast Guntecher exclusively for bows and S-rank dual handguns.

Nani-chan
Oct 17, 2006, 01:36 AM
I'm starting to lean more towards guntecher.. but mostly because of the lack of forces in Beta. The few forces that I did pt with were Nukers who didn't use any buffs or debuffs at all.

How long would some lvl 10 buffs like Agtal, Dizas, or Retial last?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nani-chan on 2006-10-16 23:36 ]</font>

Ether
Oct 17, 2006, 01:55 AM
On 2006-10-16 23:36, Nani-chan wrote:
The few forces that I did pt with were Nukers who didn't use any buffs or debuffs at all.

Just so you know, buffs and debuffs dont exist online right now, at all. All forces can do is nuke and heal when needed

Akaimizu
Oct 17, 2006, 02:00 AM
Guntecher all the way. I'm taking Nbareh online and the preferred weapon, of that character, is dual handguns. Let's say, I'm going to cowboy up, even though the character backstory actually had Nbareh grow up with a travelling circus act of sorts.

FenixStryk
Oct 17, 2006, 02:09 AM
On 2006-10-16 02:24, Itsuki-chan wrote:As a cast, I say seriously consider fortegunner. It really emphasizes the qualities of a RAcast. You also have to keep in mind just how low a Guntecher's TAP is. The only tech you'll really be gaining is resta. Even as a newman guntecher, I probably deal less tech damage than a FOcast. Its not like you'd completely need to give up your dual handguns, you just won't be able to use the top of the top teir of them.I figured as much. CASTs really just aren't made for Forces. But, I just can't get over it. Sure, Rifles are great for bosses and small groups, but Twin Handguns and Mechguns just really get me going. They're great backup weapons since you're always on the fly, juking left and right and left and right. Not to mention both weapons have insane refire rates for the most part, and thus pair unbelievably well with Freeze.

I know Fortegunner has better stats, exclusive use of Grenade Launchers, and S-rank in the hard-hitting weapons, but I just really, really like moving. Whenever I stand still to fire my Rifle, I feel so... so noobish.

Twin Handguns + Mechgun/Sabre + Magic... and I'll still have A-rank Rifles and Beam Cannons. Not to mention Longbows and Crossbows, which I have yet to try. It's really tearing me apart.

FenixStryk
Oct 17, 2006, 02:29 AM
Let me just type out the advantages of each:

Fortegunner:
Better overall stats
A-rank Spears over nothing
S-rank Grenade Launchers over nothing
S-rank Rifle over A-rank
S-rank Shotgun over A-rank
S-rank Beam Cannon over A-rank

Guntecher:
Use of magic
S-rank Twin Handguns over A-rank
S-rank Mechguns over A-rank
S-rank Crossbow over A-rank

A-rank Longbow over nothing
A-rank Cards over nothing
A-rank Wands over nothing
_____ _ _

So, overall, Guntechers lack Oomph!, but gain maneuverability and versatility. Fortegunners are better versus bosses, no doubt about it, but Guntechers handle the weaklings very well.

I have yet to Try Cards, Longbows, Crossbows, Grenade Launchers and Beam Cannons. I hear Grenade Launchers pretty much blow everything away from the blast but use craploads of PP per shot, and that Beam Cannons are pretty much stronget but slower Rifles with a piercing effect...

I'm still sticking with my aforementioned plan, going Fortegunner then switching over if I don't like Grenade Launchers + Beam Cannons, or get a really good Crossbow, Longbow, Twin Handgun or Mechgun... but, really... this is a tough call, even for a CAST.

Nika
Oct 17, 2006, 02:34 AM
Why guntecher have so so..low in MST,since it have to use atk spell. see the 18 MST for lv1(nearly same for normal ranger)

Nani-chan
Oct 18, 2006, 06:28 PM
Well I just like Dualies since it seems to be a nice fast dmging weapon..
I used to do shotgun -> Rifle to get more exp. However strafing with dualies seems to have the same effect.

I'm still confused about equip layouts and spells would be best for a guntecher. Current plan is to try force to jlvl 3 and then get rng to jlvl 5-10. If you get over 36 disks you can just unlearn something right? So only negative would be a waste of meseta.

chrisy05
Oct 18, 2006, 06:40 PM
bleh im ganna be a true RAcast and go Fortegunner. Even if i cant use S rank duel pistols, heck at least i can use A rank ones, which still beats having no duel pistols http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif!

Razorback
Oct 18, 2006, 07:26 PM
force and ranger!?!?!?! WAT WaT WAT... well i guess your mom raised you that way.. ughhhhhhhhhh

Sgt_Shligger
Oct 18, 2006, 08:13 PM
I've asked myself the same thing. Dual handguns are nice but I really don't like them as a main weapon. LAZERZ are strong and are great for crouds but lack any speed. . . ANY speed.

Bows-Rifles-Dualies

Bows have the higher damage and can hit two targets with proper aiming. Good range.
Rifles have quick fire rates and good range.
Dualies have really good fire rates but lack range.

It all really depends on your plans for a primary weapon type. I run around with a shotgun out and switch to other weapons as needed. Remember, A ranks are really not laughable.

Kent
Oct 18, 2006, 08:21 PM
I'm still wondering how good Guntecher will be with techniques, being that their TP (from what I can tell) and Technique PA cap are so low...

Carlo210
Oct 18, 2006, 08:41 PM
Deciding between guntecher and fortecher myself. I want to be a cast, but if I wanna do fortecher, I'd be Newman since cast wouldn't be so smart (let's be realistic here). Decisions decisions.

FenixStryk
Oct 18, 2006, 09:15 PM
A cast Fortecher is suicide, at least to me. If you pick a forte class, pick the race that's made for it. Maybe it's just me.

Shade-
Oct 18, 2006, 09:18 PM
I'm really looking at guntecher, but with dismal TAP and only level 10 techs, I dont know if the use of techs will really make up for the lower ATP and ATA stats.

FenixStryk
Oct 18, 2006, 09:31 PM
I'll make sense of the stats once I reach Fortegunner. By then, I'll be a decent level, and when you switch, you'll be able to see the +/- of each.

Arcturus
Oct 18, 2006, 11:09 PM
I'd rather be proficient in one skill than be mediocre in two. I just have to be good at something.

FenixStryk
Oct 18, 2006, 11:12 PM
On 2006-10-18 21:09, Arcturus wrote:I'd rather be proficient in one skill than be mediocre in two. I just have to be good at something.Whose to say a Guntecher isn't a proficient Ranger? They have Twin Handguns, Mechguns, and Crossbows S-ranked. That's more than enough to pwn. The techs are just an added bonus.

Arcturus
Oct 18, 2006, 11:15 PM
True, but the real ranged power lies with the heavy S-rank guns that only the fortegunner can use. Also, the guntecher's techs are very weak in comparison to those of a force's. You also have to worry about TP as well as PP (and of course HP) when using a Guntecher.

As a Guntecher, you'll always be outdone by another class. As a Fortegunner, however, you can show what the true definition of a powerful gunner is.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arcturus on 2006-10-18 21:19 ]</font>

chrisy05
Oct 18, 2006, 11:19 PM
either be a jack of all trades or focus on making a debuffing bad ass

Still im not exactly sure a newman would be suitable for the guntecher job. I was thinking more in the lines of Human, being that they are more balanced.

Then it would be kinda like a RAmar. But i dont know thats just me.

Itsuki
Oct 18, 2006, 11:34 PM
You're thinknig of guntecher's main advantage as its ability to use techs. Yes it can use techs, which gives it an advantage over rangers in certain areas (Hakura, Plant, etc). But at the same time, what it specializes in is mobility while attacking. Most of the fortegunner weapons are slow, hard to aim, take a long time to recover from. On the other hand, the guntecher doesn't need to move to stop and will generally be using an offhand ranged weapon with a wand / dagger / saber.

KiteWolfwood
Oct 19, 2006, 01:53 AM
Well the way I am thinking of Guntech is just to have resta and then a few of the techs that are caster only, Megistal, Dizas, Rendis. Not to many though since I have to split 36 PA between melee, tech, an bullets. Focus mainly on debuffs with my guns and dagger on the side. Not to sure how much of a buff Magistal gives at Tech 10. But with force buffs also I should be a machine as a cast. (Pun not intended)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KiteWolfwood on 2006-10-18 23:54 ]</font>

Grr
Oct 19, 2006, 04:01 AM
I have to say Fortegunner. although its very close.

on one hand , granade launchers and beam rifles , whoa. i can see heavy spread damage on bosses (and oh man if they ever make a worm type boss like in PSO , one shot down lengthwise is going to HURT on any rank)

but to see the advantage in Guntecher i had to consider the following : self buffs (Acc Att Dfp and Eva) , Debufffs , resta , and there was one tech in particular i saw that made me consider the solo ability of guntechers , the area drain effect one (viewable in the tech 1-30 post). i can see it being good for going back farming missions (you KNOW theres going to be alot of that)

however both conceptions are stabs in the dark,

still Fortegunner beat Guntecher for me because of my Cast choice of race, do not get me wrong , i am trying both ( i really want to see the mechgun have a good use in this game as it was my favorite weapon class in PSO) but Fortgunner first.

Which is odd considering (by my math) getting lvl 10 ranger will take MUCH longer than getting lvl 5 ranger lvl 3 force.

Either way , can wait to try both (and possibly Figunner , because no one can resist the allure of the double saber)

Itsuki
Oct 19, 2006, 10:11 AM
you also have to consider the fact that there are some monsters that have too much evade to even get hit by rangers (the bugs in later parum areas) and some monsters that have extremely high physical defence (mechs in hakura, mechs in plant).