PDA

View Full Version : FORCEful Spellcasting

Maxurion
Oct 16, 2006, 03:05 PM
First of all I'm going to say this thread is mostly aimed at those who have not tried the force class yet or have yet to play PSU at all.

During my time in the 360 Beta I've tried all 3 classes, I liked hunter, got frustrated a little by ranger, and absolutely LOVED force.

Therefore, I'm going to list the advantages/ disadvantages of all the force spells featured in the Beta.

Due to the lack of lock-on, it's significantly harder to aim spells in PSU then it was in PSO. This is a good thing in my opinion since it makes the force class require at least semi-skilled players to use it efficiently. To counter this effect, I've found that using strafe (left bumper on 360) and aligning the enemies with your characters head is a good way to aim your spells. This could be harder if your character is smaller.

Some spells cause status effects. They are:
Burn - causes damage to be inflicted over time.
Freeze - causes enemies to... well, freeze. They hold still for a few seconds so you can pummel them a bit.
Shock - prevents enemies from attacking. I'm pretty sure they can still move around though.
Silence - prevents enemies from casting spells.

NOTE: Damage is in percentage of total TAP. So if you had a TECHNIC that did 200% damage and had 100 TAP, it would do 200 damage. Also, damage percentages here are based on level 1 TECHNICs, so if you level them up they will do more damage.

Foie - A simple fire-based TECHNIC, it shoots in a straight line in the air at a fair pace. Does 221% damage. Only hits one foe. This will probably be your most-used attack spell. Costs 8 pp and occasionally inflicts burn.

Rafoie - A fire-based TECHNIC, it blasts a large orb in the air in front of you. Can hit multiple foes at once. Does 131% damage. Takes a bit of practice to find the right spot. Costs 16pp and inflicts burn occasionally. Use it against 3 or more foes.

Barta - A simple ice-based TECHNIC, its shoots a slow moving line of ice along the ground straight ahead. Can travel through enemies. Does 101% damage. Costs 10 pp and inflicts freeze occasionally.

Rabarta - An ice-based TECHNIC, it blasts a large area of the ground in front of you. Can hit multiple foes at once. Does 121% damage. Costs 16pp and inflicts freeze occasionally.

Zonde - A lightning-based TECHNIC, its shoots a fast-moving ball of lightning straight ahead. Can travel through foes. Does 106% damage. Costs 10 pp and inflicts shock occasionally.

Razonde - A lightning-based TECHNIC, it calls a giant bolt of lightning down in front of you. Can hit multiple foes at once. Does 126% damage. Costs 16 pp and inflicts shock occasionally.

Diga - A simple earth-based TECHNIC, it lobs a slow-moving chunk of molten magma directly in front of you. Only hits one foe. Does 231% damage. Costs 8 pp and inflicts silence occasionally. Don't use it against small foes.

Radiga - An earth-based TECHNIC, it makes a large pillar of magma burst forth from the ground in front of you. Can hit multiple foes at once. Does 141% damage. Costs 16 pp and inflicts silence occasionally.

Resta - A light-based TECHNIC, it heals you and nearby allies. Costs 30 pp.

Reverser - A light-based TECHNIC. Cures all status ailments. Costs 8 pp. (NOTE: It can't revive people or cure the negative effects of megistar)

EDIT: Added in Razonde, Radiga, and damage percentages. Also corrected a few spelling mistakes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Maxurion on 2006-10-16 20:17 ]</font>

Rizen
Oct 16, 2006, 03:06 PM
Keep it up http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif We need these types of posts to help out people.

Yoiyami
Oct 16, 2006, 03:07 PM
I'm going to play as a force when I get PSU, so this is very informative for me and any other force out there. Thanks. ^_^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yoiyami on 2006-10-16 13:08 ]</font>

Diablohead
Oct 16, 2006, 03:15 PM
When I tried a force out I found them needing a fair bit of skill, I think this is a great improvement.

Darkchampion3
Oct 16, 2006, 04:57 PM
You mean I cant go into a room, mash L30 Rafoie/Razonde/Rabarta/Grants until everything dies and move to the next room? HOORAY

Jasam
Oct 16, 2006, 05:03 PM
On 2006-10-16 14:57, Darkchampion3 wrote:
You mean I cant go into a room, mash L30 Rafoie/Razonde/Rabarta/Grants until everything dies and move to the next room? HOORAY

QFT

Force may well be a lot more intresting this time round

Maxurion
Oct 16, 2006, 10:20 PM
Added in a few changes to my original post. See the EDIT part for more details.

Numnuttz
Oct 16, 2006, 10:29 PM
yea when i was playing force i actually had to move this time to hit my mobs. lol since i wasnt sure about this at the beginning it caused me to die every here and there.

NiteOwl
Oct 16, 2006, 10:32 PM
And keep in mind that there are only 6 weapon slots on the action palette, so you're going to really have to properly prepare once more techs get into the game. It's not a big juggling job right now, but once buffs and debuffs and the light and dark attack spells get into the online game, it'll get interesting. Though I'm sure the same will apply to everyone to some degree.

Numnuttz
Oct 16, 2006, 10:34 PM
lol yea i can picture my action palette now.3-4 rods and dagger/wand combo. thats when you got to think about what spells to match with what to get the bonus for that spell type

Forumchibi
Oct 16, 2006, 10:35 PM
Why is there no spell that revives people? Is this going to be implemented later, or is it a multi-class spell, or what?

-Break-
Oct 16, 2006, 10:36 PM
Unless the bonus is significant I think I'd rather have a versatile rod.

Drown
Oct 16, 2006, 10:40 PM
I can't wait to play my force. I loved them in the PSO games, and now that they require skill, they sound right up my alley.

Kupi
Oct 16, 2006, 10:48 PM
On 2006-10-16 20:35, Forumchibi wrote:
Why is there no spell that revives people? Is this going to be implemented later, or is it a multi-class spell, or what?

That would be Giresta. It has two effects: first, it functions as a "heal over time", second, it revives fallen party members.

Mikaga
Oct 16, 2006, 11:45 PM
Reverser
Please gods, let it be so. "Giresta" is so the wrong name for a resurrection tech.

Chaobo99
Oct 16, 2006, 11:54 PM
he's right ive alwayes used the strafe and it works..(they didnt add in the gi- series)..Im a lvl 12 FO with lvl 17 Rabarta and a lv.9 freeze bow.

A2K
Oct 17, 2006, 12:38 AM
On 2006-10-16 21:45, Mikaga wrote:

Reverser
Please gods, let it be so. "Giresta" is so the wrong name for a resurrection tech.

It doesn't just resurrect, it adds a HP regeneration effect as well.

Reverser in this game removes all status effects. Er... odd, considering the Japanese name was definitely not Reverser but Regene. Go figure. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Mikaga
Oct 17, 2006, 04:03 PM
Sounds like a bad translation job. Rever(ser) has always been the Phantasy Star resurrection tech.

Maxurion
Oct 17, 2006, 06:15 PM
Hmm, a healing over time spell, huh?

Sounds like it would be good to use megistar and giresta at the same time...

All buffs with no downside, heh heh.

_Deliverance_
Oct 17, 2006, 06:53 PM
Mikaga
Hugh doesn't suck!!

I lol'd

Minswune
Oct 17, 2006, 06:59 PM
Played a force in PSO, loved it, Played a force in the PSU beta, loved it more http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Really a fun and powerful job, that needs skilled people to play it.

Realmz
Oct 17, 2006, 09:56 PM
unfortunatly i didn't get to try out a force, but all this stuff is getting me very interested. I like how now theres a bit more focus on tactics instead of just blasting the shit out of everything.

btw, how the devil do some of you guys get those counters to show in your signatures?

Kakashi_Xero
Oct 17, 2006, 10:10 PM
kinda has a FF ring to it so is it like regen from FF as well?

oronll
Oct 17, 2006, 10:48 PM
I love the way rangers and forces are set up .. I played a force a little in the 360 beta and loved it .. Strafe comes in handy for forces and rangers..

PSU has amuch better balance goingon than PSO had ..

UltraDeeDer
Oct 18, 2006, 02:59 AM
On 2006-10-16 20:34, Numnuttz wrote:
lol yea i can picture my action palette now.3-4 rods and dagger/wand combo.

Both Daggers and CANEs go in the right hand, Handgun in left.