PDA

View Full Version : For PSU PC Gamepad Users - JoyToKey

Yoiyami
Oct 16, 2006, 06:18 PM
I've been seeing a lot of topics about which controller to get, button controls, ect. So, I thought I'd share the program I've been using for all the games I play with my Logitech controller. I'm not the BEST teacher in the world, so bare with me. T.T;; I'll organize this as best as possible. Sorry if your screen is being stretched!

Let's Get Started

JoyToKey (http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey%20English%20Version.htm)

Now, what this is is a keyboard emulator for your controller meaning that with this software, you can customize what buttons on your controller does what using keyboard commands.
Sounds weird, I know, so I'll post examples and elaborate. I'm just going to explain the basics, nothing indepth. Don't worry about what does what right now, I'll get to that.

Download (http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey%20English%20Version_files/jtk374en.zip) JoyToKey and install it. Once it's done, open it up.

Time to create a new config file for PSU.

http://img424.imageshack.us/img424/1642/joytokey1sp9.jpg

Go ahead and do that. Let's name it, you guessed it, Phantasy Star Universe.

Now, you're almost ready to start configuring the controls.
First, let's start in the "Others" tab. Set it up to look like this:

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/3968/joytokey2tw6.jpg

Just so you'll understand...
The POV switches option allows you to use the analog stick.
The "Axes" option allows you to use both. Normally, you'd just see the buttons for your D-Pad but why not go all the way?

Configuring Your Stuff

Time to start configuring stuff~ Go to "Joysticks" now.
I'm going to break down what your essentials are.
If you want to know what everything else is for, you'll have to experiment.
I don't want this to be TOO long so no one will get too intimidated.

First, let me point out the "Auto Setting Wizard".
All that basically does is ask what key you want to assign to a button and has you press the key.
But that isn't indepth at all, it's just a quickie.

With that out of the way, right click "AxisX(<0)" and choose "Configure this button".
This is for the left button on your D-Pad, but I'm just using this to explain the configuration screen. Let's look.

Keyboard to Controller

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7666/joytokey3ro3.jpg

We're in the "Keyboard" tab which lets you assign a key on the keyboard to a button on your controller.
On my screen, I've already assigned a key to this axis.
But on yours, you'll see "Disabled" highlighted in yellow.
All you need to do is press a key and the button on your controller will have the same function as this key for PSU.
See the scroll-down menu? Those are pretty self-explainatory, actually... >.>;
And that's all for the "Keyboard" tab. Simple.

All you need to know is what key does what in PSU and assign the keys accordingly.
If you close that window and scroll down, you'll see "Button 1, button 2" ect.
Those are pretty much your X, Square, ect buttons. It goes up to 4.
Then you have the rest are for your triggers, start and select, R3 and L3. I'll explain that later. Let's move on to the "Mouse" tab.

Movement

This is a bit more complicated than the keyboard.
Here, you can assign mouse functions to your controller, including it's movements. I'm going to explain movement first.

You see your horizontal and vertical movements. To summarize them:

Horizontal - Negative (-) = Left, Positive = Right

Vertical - Negative = Up (will appear as positive), Positive = Down (will appear as negative)

Wheel rotation works the same as the vertical cursor option.

And thats that.
As for your mouse clicks (button clicks), if you check one of those boxes, it'll be if you're constantly clicking while you're moving, so that may not be the best idea.
Instead, it's best to assign those seperately.
As for automatic shooting.. If you've ever had a turbo controller before, it works about the same except you can put a limit on it.
As for the number you see when you adjust the cursor movements, that's the speed the cursor will move.
I set mine to 30 so it wouldn't be too fast or too slow, but that's up to you.

Okay, that's about sums it up on how to customize your controls!
Again, make SURE you know what key does what in PSU.
Otherwise your controller will be more of a pain than an asset.

A Quick Reference

I'm going to just go ahead and post what does what just to save you a headache.
Sticking to the basics, of course.
So if you want to know what everything else does, you'll have to experiment.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/3197/joytokey4wg4.jpg

These are for your direction buttons (D-Pad). I've already configured them to show which axis is for which directional button.

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/9919/joytokey5bf8.jpg

POV1 is for your left analog stick for movement of the cursor or character.
POV2 is for the right, normally used to control the camera. As you can see, I configured POV2 to Right-Click when I move to so it'll move the camera.

Now for the Buttons 1-32. I'll explain what each one does based on a PS2 controller since it's the one I'm most familiar with.

Button 1 - X
Button 2 - Square
Button 3 - Circle
Button 4 - Triangle

Button 5 - L1
Button 6 - R1
Button 7 - L2
Button 8 - R2

Button 9 - Start
Button 10 - Select

Button 11 - L3
Button 12 - R3

So if you're using a PS2 or Logitech controller, you only have 12 buttons available for you to use.
You CAN use the D-Pad for more buttons since the left analog stick is also used for character/cursor movement.
(Depends on what game you're playing)

The End

Whew. I hope my hard work explaining this thing helped some people out.

Just so you know, you can use this for ANY game or program.
It's not a hack, cheat, illegal 3rd party program or anything like that so you aren't being "l337".
This is the English version of JoyToKey translated from Japanese.
Also, you can use any type of controller with this. Just make sure it's plugged in and you're good to go.

Enjoy~

Credits

Written by
Yoiyami

Ether
Oct 16, 2006, 06:28 PM
One question, why would you use this when PSU officially supports controllers anyways?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ether on 2006-10-16 16:29 ]</font>

Yoiyami
Oct 16, 2006, 06:30 PM
For personal customization. I do that a lot, even with games that support the controller. =|

SpishackCola
Oct 16, 2006, 06:31 PM
I think you can change all this through PSU's config menu when you first start up the game or later.

Rizen
Oct 16, 2006, 06:31 PM
Aside from what Ether said...Nice post. Im sure it will be helpful for those who wants options outside of what PSU offers.

Yoiyami
Oct 16, 2006, 06:33 PM
On 2006-10-16 16:31, Rizen wrote:
Aside from what Ether said...Nice post. Im sure it will be helpful for those who wants options outside of what PSU offers.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. You can use this in collaboration with whatever is already offered as well.

Use it or no, it's totally up to you. I just thought it might be helpful. *shrugs* Sue me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yoiyami on 2006-10-16 16:33 ]</font>

Bleemo
Oct 16, 2006, 06:38 PM
Great post Yams.

I'm wondering if this works with the Xbox 360 controller. The main reason why the PC version of the Xbox 360 controller recieved subpar ratings was that it had virtually no keymapping options, so you were required to use the default keys on each game, depending on the controller even working with the game or not.

Mag_Launcher
Oct 16, 2006, 06:51 PM
The mapping ability depends on the game, not the controller. If the game acknowledges there is one, (and has the ability to change controls in the first place) you can bind whatever you want, usually mixed in main keyboard controls, or in PSU's case and various others, a separate section for joypad controls.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mag_Launcher on 2006-10-16 16:52 ]</font>

Yoiyami
Oct 16, 2006, 06:54 PM
Mo~ <3333 I still want to play with you. D:

You can use this with any controller and configure it any way you want. So whether or not the controller works with the game, it will if you keep this program running in the background and it'll override the games default controls for the controller.

Nifty, I'd say. ^_^ Although I'm not sure what mappy keys are... >.>;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yoiyami on 2006-10-16 16:55 ]</font>

Bleemo
Oct 16, 2006, 07:10 PM
On 2006-10-16 16:51, Mag_Launcher wrote:
The mapping ability depends on the game, not the controller. If the game acknowledges there is one, (and has the ability to change controls in the first place) you can bind whatever you want, usually mixed in main keyboard controls, or in PSU's case and various others, a separate section for joypad controls.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mag_Launcher on 2006-10-16 16:52 ]</font>

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/01/26/xbox-360-controller-for-windows-great-hardware-weak-software/

On 2006-10-16 16:54, Yoiyami wrote:
Mo~ <3333 I still want to play with you. D:

You can use this with any controller and configure it any way you want. So whether or not the controller works with the game, it will if you keep this program running in the background and it'll override the games default controls for the controller.

Nifty, I'd say. ^_^ Although I'm not sure what mappy keys are... >.>;

Keymapping is just assigning controls to certain buttons on your gamepad.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bleemo on 2006-10-16 17:15 ]</font>

Yoiyami
Oct 16, 2006, 07:20 PM
Ohhh. I learned fancy talk. <3

b3n
Oct 16, 2006, 07:23 PM
Lets all buy macro boards and buffalo wings with extra spicy leetsauce. Then we will easily master PSU.

Mag_Launcher
Oct 16, 2006, 07:34 PM
Well, first of all, I question if the reviewer actually knew what he was talking about, as I specifically cite his problem with GTA: San Andreas, which actually DOES use the second stick for the camera, BUT you had to toggle an option between "Mouse + Keys" and "Joypad", and apparently he didn't find this option.

As for the "Button #" and such, thats not a valid argument, EVERY gamepad I've used does that. You yourself need to figure out which number corresponds to which button, (I believe this can be done by going to Control Panel > Game Controllers, and finding which button is marked what) although it can be confusing, as my particular setup considers the Triangle button on my PS2 controller as Button 0/1 and so on, but even so, just needs memorization. (Though this isn't the case, as usually you just press the button to bind, which doesn't require memorization, unless you forgot the controls, looked at the list, and went "WTF is button #!?")

And DO NOT expect the default joypad control setup of a game to be absolutely correct the first time you play, since theres tons of verying models and layouts, so of course it won't be right. No, you have to set these controls YOURSELF, software cannot be blamed if you're too lazy to take a couple minutes to bind up the buttons just right.

There's also such thing as bad control configuration software, as well. One shining example is the control setup for the PC version of True Crime: New York City. Actually, you know what, in fact, the control configuration he showed a picture of WAS that very same control menu. That menu was an absolute pile of dung, and even confused me, knowing what button was what and everything, but it worked in a back-asswards "bind a function to a button" fashion instead of the standard bind a button to a function. The problem here was, you has the manually pick out the function from a list, instead of just picking a function and pressing the button you wanted to bind it to.

So, in closing, by speaking from experience, that reviewer is retarded, never used a controller on a PC before, and used THE WORST bind menu example possible.

In other words... that means the software itself was working just fine.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mag_Launcher on 2006-10-16 18:09 ]</font>

Bleemo
Oct 16, 2006, 07:56 PM
On 2006-10-16 17:34, Mag_Launcher wrote:
Well, first of all, I question if the reviewer actually knew what he was talking about, as I specifically cite his problem with GTA: San Andreas, which actually DOES use the second stick for the camera, BUT you had to toggle an option between "Mouse + Keys" and "Joypad", and apparently he didn't find this option.

As for the "Button #" and such, thats not a valid argument, EVERY gamepad I've used does that. You yourself need to figure out which number corresponds to which button, (I believe this can be done by going to Control Panel > Game Controllers, and finding which button is marked what) although it can be confusing, as my particular setup considers the Triangle button on my PS2 controller as Button 0/1 and so on, but even so, just needs memorization.

And DO NOT expect the default joypad control setup of a game to be absolutely correct the first time you play, since theres tons of verying models and layouts, so of course it won't be right. No, you have to set these controls YOURSELF, software cannot be blamed if you're too lazy to take a couple minutes to bind up the buttons just right.

There's also such thing as bad control configuration software, as well. One shining example is the control setup for the PC version of True Crime: New York City. Actually, you know what, in fact, the control configuration he showed a picture of WAS that very same control menu. That menu was an absolute pile of dung, and even confused me, knowing what button was what and everything, but it worked in a back-asswards "bind a function to a button" fashion instead of the standard bind a button to a function. The problem here was, you has the manually pick out the function from a list, instead of just picking a function and pressing the button you wanted to bind it to.

So, in closing, by speaking from experience, that reviewer is retarded, never used a controller on a PC before, and used THE WORST bind menu example possible.

Great argument. This debate goes beyond my knowledge of gaming controllers, so I will believe in your words. Even so, your argument sounds logical enough to agree with.

One of the commenters mentioned that JoyToKey specifically will fix any of the issues they've experienced with the X360 controller's keymapping. I suppose that solves it.

Mag_Launcher
Oct 16, 2006, 08:04 PM
Yeah... well, I DID hear there there is a bit of an issue with binding the triggers, though, as they're considered to be sliders or axes instead of actual buttons. But, as I've never actually used the 360 controller on my PC I couldn't confirm/deny that, or know how it affects the functionality of the triggers. But other than that, seems normal.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mag_Launcher on 2006-10-16 18:09 ]</font>

Sgt_Shligger
Oct 16, 2006, 08:12 PM
That why you get the XBCD drivers. They can switch the triggers to their own SEPERATE axis's making it easier. They also allow you to set them as digital buttons.

zemog
Oct 17, 2006, 12:24 AM
On 2006-10-16 16:28, Ether wrote:
One question, why would you use this when PSU officially supports controllers anyways?

Thanks, I was just about to ask this. I purchased a usb xbox 360 controller for my pc and it works beautifully for PSOBB, now I have no worries about PSU!

AlphaMinotaux
Oct 17, 2006, 12:34 AM
As a note, the controller customization for PSU sucks terribly. doesnt let you remap all the buttons nor does it allow for 2 buttons to do the same thing(i have my reason for doing that). the program the OP guided through seems pretty good. I use ControlMK myself.

Kyuu
Oct 17, 2006, 01:28 AM
On 2006-10-16 22:34, AlphaMinotaux wrote:

As a note, the controller customization for PSU sucks terribly. doesnt let you remap all the buttons nor does it allow for 2 buttons to do the same thing(i have my reason for doing that). the program the OP guided through seems pretty good. I use ControlMK myself.
Are you quite sure about that? I tinkered a bit with the PSU Closed Beta and didn't see any functions that couldn't be remapped to whatever button you preferred. And I really couldn't imagine why you'd ever bind two functions to the same button, but *shrug*.

Mag_Launcher's criticisms of that review were spot on. *applaud*

And yeah, get the XBCD drivers. They allow remapping, you can turn the triggers into buttons (you lose the analog functionality, but games will actually recognize them), and from what I've heard they generally just work better than the offical MS drivers.

EnixBelmont
Oct 17, 2006, 05:31 AM
Well, I play the opffline game in japanese, and I have absolutely no problem setting what buttons I want to what.I have

X to attack
A to pick up, confirm
Y for PAs
B for weapon switching
LB for lock on and camera
RB for second weapon(hold to use off hand weapon)
LT/RT for changing camera
Push in the right stick for 1st person

And I think that's it. It works just fine for me. And I can use he keyboard, too, so I see no reason for J2K. It's not as useful as it is when playing, say, maple story.