PDA

View Full Version : Names and ID Question

Forumchibi
Oct 17, 2006, 12:12 AM
I heard they got rid of the IDs from PSO, so does that mean that all names are unique now, or can people still run around with the same name?

Mike
Oct 17, 2006, 12:20 AM
Sephiroths will still be a dime a dozen.

Aaron777
Oct 17, 2006, 12:21 AM
But hey look on the bright side...at least we know who they are...

BioWarrior
Oct 17, 2006, 12:29 AM
On 2006-10-16 22:20, Mike wrote:
Sephiroths will still be a dime a dozen.

Pffff forget Sephiroth I'll be original and be DARK Sephiroth. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

ShadowDragon28
Oct 17, 2006, 12:30 AM
Which really is a bit annoying, as Sephiroth (FF 7 has *nothing* to do the mythos of the Phantasy Star series or PSU) and most people haven't a clue that a *real* sephiroth is not some fracking rpg character.

IMV any rpg character named "Sephiroth" is like naming a player-character
" Transubstantiation " or " Psalms ", or "Four Noble Truths" or "Bahavad Gita";

IMO it's kind of tacky to name characters after things from other religions.
The term "sephiroth" is not term to be used so frakin' "lightly."

Any person that does not *know* what a "dark sephiroth* actually is and can not explain in even simple terms should not be using that term as a name.
(I could if asked.)

It's like naming a character " Dark Moses " or
" Dark Holy Grail " it's really dumb IMO.

I use the name "ShadowDragon" in lieu of the actual Japanese or Chinese term for asianic shadow dragons { Kage Ryu, Fu-Kan Lung/Fu'Tsu Long, Ying-Lung }

I don't use "Kage Ryu" because people often think it says "cage rye-yoo ", when it's pronounced
"ka-geh' rii-yoo."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2006-10-16 22:44 ]</font>

BioWarrior
Oct 17, 2006, 12:32 AM
Ya... its a shame alot of people can't seem to be original or atleast use something alot less generic. >.>

Cigaro
Oct 17, 2006, 12:45 AM
My character will be named Revenga

...that's unique, isn't it? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

BioWarrior
Oct 17, 2006, 12:45 AM
Sounds Unique to me, haven't heard a name like that before.

Cigaro
Oct 17, 2006, 12:46 AM
She's named after a System of a Down song.

I've yet to see anyone else use the name.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cigaro on 2006-10-16 22:47 ]</font>

ShadowDragon28
Oct 17, 2006, 12:49 AM
Sounds ok, seems like Japanese "engrish" for "revenger."

Revanga or simply Ravahn would be a bit more unique IMO. Just an idea. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

FenixStryk
Oct 17, 2006, 12:56 AM
On 2006-10-16 22:45, Cigaro wrote:
...that's unique, isn't it? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif
I'd agree with you if your name wasn't Cigaro. SoaD ripoff, much? ;]
Nevertheless, I've yet to see such a name. Nice choice, I guess.

KatanaRyu
Oct 17, 2006, 01:03 AM
Hey mines Boomaholic.. although i Typoed it and its Boomahohic =.=;
ph well its the beta soon i'll be able to fix it lol.

Cigaro
Oct 17, 2006, 01:13 AM
On 2006-10-16 22:56, FenixStryk wrote:

On 2006-10-16 22:45, Cigaro wrote:
I'd agree with you if your name wasn't Cigaro. SoaD ripoff, much? ;]
Nevertheless, I've yet to see such a name. Nice choice, I guess.

Hey, I openly admit where I got the name from...

I just think those two songs make cool names http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

gynko06
Oct 17, 2006, 01:29 AM
My name will be Gynko...yes like teh stupid Herb but i prounounce it differntly. I pronounce it Jean-Co unline the Herb gynko buloba or w/e but whatever i like it so all that matters imo

after all its just a name u shouldnt take it so serioulsy

Cigaro
Oct 17, 2006, 01:33 AM
On 2006-10-16 23:29, gynko06 wrote:
My name will be Gynko...yes like teh stupid Herb but i prounounce it differntly. I pronounce it Jean-Co unline the Herb gynko buloba or w/e but whatever i like it so all that matters imo

after all its just a name u shouldnt take it so serioulsy

Actually, it's GINKO BILOBA.

I want to pronounce "Gyn-" like the first syllable in "Gynecologist", but that's just me being anal with english pronunciation. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

At least you're not naming your character Sephiroth or Vegeta. Big ups for THAT.

Ryogen
Oct 17, 2006, 03:53 AM
we all have a type of ID like 100382748 which makes us able to use any name, but we are identified by number to make uniqueness and have us all have the same name if we wanted.

Chimeria
Oct 17, 2006, 10:44 AM
My character's name will be Ruuki. and it's pronouned Roo-kee. Not Rookie. So all you PS2 players, if any, when you see me you'll now it's me.

Velocity_7
Oct 17, 2006, 11:23 AM
IDs still exist in PSU.

Ullias
Oct 17, 2006, 11:23 AM
On 2006-10-16 22:30, ShadowDragon28 wrote:
Which really is a bit annoying, as Sephiroth (FF 7 has *nothing* to do the mythos of the Phantasy Star series or PSU) and most people haven't a clue that a *real* sephiroth is not some fracking rpg character.

IMV any rpg character named "Sephiroth" is like naming a player-character
" Transubstantiation " or " Psalms ", or "Four Noble Truths" or "Bahavad Gita";

IMO it's kind of tacky to name characters after things from other religions.
The term "sephiroth" is not term to be used so frakin' "lightly."

Any person that does not *know* what a "dark sephiroth* actually is and can not explain in even simple terms should not be using that term as a name.
(I could if asked.)

It's like naming a character " Dark Moses " or
" Dark Holy Grail " it's really dumb IMO.

I use the name "ShadowDragon" in lieu of the actual Japanese or Chinese term for asianic shadow dragons { Kage Ryu, Fu-Kan Lung/Fu'Tsu Long, Ying-Lung }

I don't use "Kage Ryu" because people often think it says "cage rye-yoo ", when it's pronounced
"ka-geh' rii-yoo."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2006-10-16 22:44 ]</font>

I soo badly want to name a char Dark Moses now lol.

SephYuyX
Oct 17, 2006, 11:37 AM
I came up with this handle back in.. '95 when the original Worms came out for PC, and there was a hack to play against other online. So I need something to go by.

I liked a bit of mythology back then so id figure id try to grab something from there.

Sephiroth derives from the hebrew teachings of life. Im actually roman catholic, but found it kind of intesting and stumbled upon it while reading about greek norse mythology.

It stands for 11 things; Knowledge, Wisdom, Intelligence, Love and Mercy, Power and Judgement, Compassion, Lasting Endurance, Splendor, Foundation, Self, and Law and Order.

There were four ways to refere to it; Sephirah, Sephirot, Sephiroth, or Sefiroth, and I choose Sephiroth.

Its a shame such a crappy game ruined such teachings.

-Crokar-
Oct 17, 2006, 11:43 AM
i got crokar from the best low budget movie ever

Tatha-kitten
Oct 17, 2006, 11:50 AM
o.o i take household objects and re-arrange the letters, usually combine them together, and then make it sound more normal.

Tatha came together from my fish tank (took T and A from that) and my maths homework (another A, T, and H)

do some re-arranging, and i got Tatha. no joke, it's how i make all my character names.

Candor
Oct 17, 2006, 12:02 PM
I like to start with a latin word which describes my character, then rearrange if needed. Candor was not changed, but in WoW i had an undead named Aetern, came from Aeterno meaning undying, eternal. not sure what i'll come up with for PSU, One character will most likely be Candor though

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Candor on 2006-10-17 10:03 ]</font>

Yachiru
Oct 17, 2006, 12:07 PM
Forget Sephiroth. Go Yuffie! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Minswune
Oct 17, 2006, 01:44 PM
In PSO i'd use names from old ff games (Not like cloud, sephiroth, etc) less known characters from the old school FF's, Rydia, Terra, etc http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

However, i'm older, and less nub now, so i derive names from more original sources (Read, not old FF games) ie- My Beta, and planned full-game character was/will be Pandora, a woman from an ancient greek myth.

AC9breaker
Oct 17, 2006, 01:46 PM
SSJ4_JESUS

Vhex
Oct 17, 2006, 02:09 PM
I'll be naming my character Vhex. I think its pretty original since I've had it since DCv1. Never seen anyone use it. But with alot of creative names its funny to hear people ask," What anime is that from?" or, "ho do u pronouce dat?". I remember having "Silent H" On my Guild card for along time. Heh.

Feyz
Oct 17, 2006, 02:21 PM
I'm still working on name ideas for my character.

It's tough!

I would never ever name my character Sephiroth or Cloud or Aeris or anything remotely unoriginal like that.

I try to take inspiration for names from things in nature or aspects of things I find interesting and then try to make something name-like out of that.

Like, my screen name here. I just joined here and I was trying to think of a decent name to use. I thought, well it's a Phantasy Star board and I've been in a Phantasy Star phaze for a ~ hey wait, phaze. Phoenetically phaze is feyz. That's sort of cool. Fey also means supernatural or dangerous (dictionary.com) so Feyz is 'fey' with a 'z' at the end. Kind of cool. Anyway, I think so.

Ryan407
Oct 17, 2006, 02:55 PM
how bout the name tacos? now thats unique, and hella funny.

Fatal-Killer
Oct 17, 2006, 03:00 PM
i think i have seen about 20 people with the name Cloud my name is Cosmo Warrior and shall continue to be that in the full version or Cosmos

Razorback
Oct 17, 2006, 03:17 PM
i made my name after a guitar i wanted but wikipedia, told me it meant wild boar, go firgue

Viper472
Oct 17, 2006, 04:24 PM
I have used Viper forever, because I've wanted a Dodge Viper since I was 5, I play a ESP Viper guitar, and the snake is awsome. I may or may not ad a "DF" before (many meanings) or a 472 after (my favorite 3 numbers since age 5 as well) or a X after (straight-edge). I also came up with a really cool Japanesse sounding name a while back for one thign or another, Tsujin (pronounced: Sue-Gin or Sue-Shin) so, I may also use that. And I've been inspired to make a charactor named Balmung (ripp of DotHack) becuase I now see wings are available, and It'd be really cool to have such a charactor. Who knows, probally Viper though.

mechalucifer
Oct 17, 2006, 04:52 PM
Female Cast name !RIS
Male Cast name SPECTRE
Both are original, just thinking "what would make a cool name?"

I'm gonna keep a slot or two open to make temp joke characters just to make an appearance and to see reactions. Mostly characters from Futurama (Calculon, Zapp Brannigan, Fry)

Ensnare
Oct 17, 2006, 05:09 PM
Ive come to this site for years and ive never signed up for an account... but due to this topic i have finally made one! lol well my character name will be..

male beast: Ensnare

a name ive used for everything and anything for about the past 10 years and ive yet to see anyone with it, so im happy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

TwilightSea
Oct 17, 2006, 05:28 PM
Ah how I will love the unoriginal names of Cloud, Sephiroth, Goku etc., etc.,. Not me, I've already written up my character's backstory and name. Because it's Phantasy Star, I figured might as well name my CAST from a star. I named him Regulus. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Maxurion
Oct 17, 2006, 05:31 PM
On 2006-10-16 22:12, Forumchibi wrote:
I heard they got rid of the IDs from PSO, so does that mean that all names are unique now, or can people still run around with the same name?

I beleive the original poster has "IDs" confused...

The "IDs" that no longer exist in PSU are Redria, Bluefull, Skyly, Yellowboze, Purplenum, etc...

chrisy05
Oct 17, 2006, 05:39 PM
well in the past ive used "Kain" for my Humar, and "Ragnarok" for my RAcast. Heh in the beta i called my Cast "Guyver", cus hey, he looked a lot like "the guyver". Still, Ive been thinking about using Ragnarok for my new Ranger cast in psu, yet, now that i think about it, Ragnarok doesnt really sound like a good character name. Maybe "Durandal" or "Alseides" would be good, Still im going to look at some old Greek/Roman names for ideas. Those names tend to sound cool and have a neat meaning to them, like umm Vulcan.

iHaq
Oct 17, 2006, 05:47 PM
My female beast is either going to be named:

popsicle, xxav, or lingxiaoyu.

which one do you guys think is best?

DikkyRay
Oct 17, 2006, 05:52 PM
im banking that no one takes the name DikkyRay,
cuz that would be retarded for many reasons, one being who in their right mind (other than me) would name their char after a stupid nickname?
Ill name my beast after that one beast-king from fire emblem, or Lunar.
or a cast... Avenger, cuz that was my hucast,
And for a newman force... Lucius. Cuz thats my most current pso char

edit: D-ray is my ra... should mention that...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DikkyRay on 2006-10-17 15:52 ]</font>

tallguy
Oct 17, 2006, 06:39 PM
I know its not real original, but not as obvious as cloud/ sephiroth, but since PSO DC I've always used Shinra for all games.

Im kinda surprised as too how few people recognize it