PDA

View Full Version : Just thought of a potential major problem for rangers on the

Arcturus
Oct 17, 2006, 01:47 PM
From the looks of it, rangers use the first-person mode aiming view thing quite often, sometimes on fast-moving enemies. The PC has only buttons to use for this (assuming the mouse cannot be used). Buttons are extremely hard to use to place a targeting reticule directly over something flying around quickly... it would be much, much easier to use a controller, like on a PS2 or 360. Buttons give no sense of how quickly the targeting reticule will move, so aiming in the PC with the first-person view may be very, very hard. I don't know because I've never even played, but can someone tell me more? I'd like to know whether I can just stick with my keyboard, or whether I have to go out and buy a controller.

rena-ko
Oct 17, 2006, 01:49 PM
its usually recommended to use a controller for console games.
but some will say they got so used to kb-controlls that they dont need it.

pick whatever suits you best, i'd say.

Akaimizu
Oct 17, 2006, 01:49 PM
On the PC version, I have my controller plugged in. It works great with one.

Arcturus
Oct 17, 2006, 01:51 PM
Akaimizu, how is it without a controller? I've already played PSO:BB extensively with just the keyboard... never had to deal with the targeting thing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arcturus on 2006-10-17 11:52 ]</font>

BioWarrior
Oct 17, 2006, 01:52 PM
You could probable use a keyboard, but some keyboards don't seem to like it when you press more then one button at once so that may be a bigger problem for ranger.

You could always try it without a keyboard first and if you don't like it you can always go out and buy a controller, simple as that.

vitius137
Oct 17, 2006, 01:53 PM
I normally use a controller for PSU but I have tried using keyboard. I have found that using the keyboard in first person mode insn't very hard at all and almost as easy as using a controller. My only complaint is that it is much easier to use menus with a keyboard so sometimes i have to switch because the d-pad on my controller is terrible.

Rizen
Oct 17, 2006, 01:55 PM
For me, I use a controller. I played about 20 levels of Ranger with the keyboard and I did ok. Main problem I had was the fact that it was extremely hard to stafe and shoot at the same time because of keyboard key lock issues (pressed up and down at the same time wouldnt only respond to one).
As for the first person view thing, you dont really need to use it that much. You rarely encounter enemies that fly or move fast. Only on boss fights mostly, other than that its mostly strafing and shooting. In first person, even with the keyboard, I found it very easy to aim and move. With a controller, its pretty much a breeze.

All I can say its practice makes perfect.

AC9breaker
Oct 17, 2006, 01:58 PM
Yeah as Mr Rizen has pointed out. It s not hard to shoot in FPS mode. The big problem with the KB is that it locks up when using a gun and sword combo and you strafe and shoot. Once I bought my controller, everything felt so much better and I could strafe and shoot with no lock up.

Arcturus
Oct 17, 2006, 02:22 PM
I just decided meh, screw it... I'm gonna buy an Xbox 360 controller, even if I don't need it. I'm gonna make sure my PSU experience is one worth having.

Xeion
Oct 17, 2006, 02:38 PM
I got an PS2 -> PC converter which I use to all my PC games and it works fint. I'm gonna use it with PSU as well http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

AC9breaker
Oct 17, 2006, 02:41 PM
I use to have a Logitech Wireless controller but it died on me for some odd reason. I wanted to buy a ps2 converter but couldn't find any so I just bought a 360 wired controller instead. Although, you have to do some work to get it to rumble, its so comfortable, and I love it. I eventually also plan on buying a 360 sometime in the future. Its worth the 40 bucks in my opinion.

Akaimizu
Oct 17, 2006, 02:46 PM
On 2006-10-17 11:51, Arcturus wrote:
Akaimizu, how is it without a controller? I've already played PSO:BB extensively with just the keyboard... never had to deal with the targeting thing.

It works pretty well. Pretty much on-line with how it controls on the Console. Quite a few controllers, like the 360 one, the game will automatically use, right away. There is a few differences, though.

For one, I can't seem to be able to get the menu without pressing F1, to do it. (I'd love to set it to the start button). Another thing, is that the PC, by default, has the face buttons configured a little differently.

So, for instance, this example configuration:

_Y
X_B
_A_

On the PC, A and B are primary and secondary (special) attack, respectively. Where as X pulls up the Pallette wheel (for weapons and items) and Y is your action (pickup) button.

On the consoles. X and Y are Primary and Secondary (special) attack, respectively. Where as either A or B pulls up the Pallette wheel, and the other is the action (pickup) button.

The Front buttons operate similar, but there's a default difference. On the PC, they make the L2/R2 (or 360 trigger buttons) swing the camera, and don't have actions on the weapons/items pallette wheel.

The D-pad, the Left Analogue Stick, and the Right/Left Bumper (R1 and L1 for PS pads), behave precisely the same.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-17 12:47 ]</font>

Caukin
Oct 17, 2006, 02:47 PM
Heres a wild shot in the dark. Any chance for a Xbox -> PC converter.... how about a wireless one for my wireless controller. Someone invent it. You have 6 days to have it on the shelves.

klunka
Oct 17, 2006, 02:51 PM
Way to be Arc. If you're gonna be backing me up, I want your aim dead on

Itsuki
Oct 17, 2006, 04:02 PM
Perhaps rangers shouldn't use keyboard then. Depending on the type of keyboard you have theres a limit to how many buttons you can press at once. I think this would be more of a problem. For example, with my keyboard, I couldn't take screenshots of me doing male dances because it requires alt+shift+m and then printscreen for the screenshot, but my keyboard will only allow me to press 3 buttons at once.

But for fps mode, I use a ps2 controller and use R3 for going into FPS mode and the R-stick for aiming and camera stuff.

XdarXideX
Oct 17, 2006, 04:04 PM
Microsoft are releasing a USB wireless receiver for Windows so you can use the Wireless 360 pads. No idea when that is though.

Rizen
Oct 17, 2006, 04:06 PM
I use L3 for my FPS mode. I find it easier to keep it on the same analog that I move and aim with.

But yeah, I highly recommend that Rangers use controllers, makes your life alot easier. You can move, strafe, and rotate camera alot better than you ever can on a keyboard. And the keybindings for PSU are a bit....wacky. *remembers trying to turn run aim rotate camera and take a screenshot only to nosedive on top of the keyboard* ><

-Break-
Oct 17, 2006, 04:07 PM
If you're going to play PSU on the PC, get a freaking controller. It's that simple.