PDA

View Full Version : PSU strategy guide? Is it worth it?

Valter
Oct 17, 2006, 03:38 PM
Just wondering is it worth to get i mean i know that i can find everything online. But at lease for quick reference i think it might be a good idea.

rena-ko
Oct 17, 2006, 03:42 PM
i'd be careful with these, if they're not official.

Pikku
Oct 17, 2006, 03:42 PM
I got almost every Sonic Team game Strategy Guide... but not for the guide itself. I like the Artwork thats inside the book (I like Sonic Teams artwork ok? >.>)
I found PSO EPIII guide crap and useless... I never got a hold of the PSO Guide though sadly... I wish I wouldve gotten it when I 1st got the game for Dreamcast.....

Kakashi_Xero
Oct 17, 2006, 03:43 PM
no guides are pointless,(sure you can find where an item is your looking for) they take away from the fun. i bought a guide once and i got bored of the game very quickly thats just my opinion so dont blow up,

tonberrylord
Oct 17, 2006, 03:43 PM
This is what online informational databases are for.

Akaimizu
Oct 17, 2006, 03:44 PM
I never believe guides are that useful for quick reference, unless you don't have an adequate printer to print the faqs people come up with. This goes double for online games where they get tweaked constantly, making the book wrong.

Some will use it, but often enough, they'll go online and be told how that isn't quite like that, anymore. I guess it's a quick start reference; as long as the new player doesn't get into his or her head, that the book is a PSU bible or something. Too many times, in other games, I've seen a new person get flamed for stating the book as fact while the online addicts get tired of it because they know better. A shame, since those mentalities can easily develop between people as soon as something breaks down in that communication aspect.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-10-17 13:45 ]</font>

afcakey
Oct 17, 2006, 03:50 PM
i find guides for online games useless sometimes. At a point that guide will be outdated, while an online database would be up to date.

But hey sometimes i buy them just to have them.

Kakashi_Xero
Oct 17, 2006, 03:53 PM
i agree with the comment on the artwork i do like the artwork but i dont waste money on guides

Red_Dragon_Jr
Oct 17, 2006, 03:55 PM
I would just get the strategy guide for reference just in case i want to know what to do next...

Blicen
Oct 17, 2006, 04:03 PM
I'll be buying the strat guide... Mainly because I sorta just want something help me start the game out and virtually learn generally everything about the game when I'm at work or something (reading time etc) then again, I want it just because you get a 20% disc when you purchase it /w the game / I feel like spending money http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Mazoku
Oct 17, 2006, 04:44 PM
I barely ever buy strategy guides. That said, there are certain cases where I will. I might buy the PSU guide, but I want to check it out first. I have a feeling a huge chunk of it will cover the story mode. This information is useless to me. I can figure out story mode on my own. If the guide has extensive item lists and synthing recipe lists, I'll buy it. Yes, I could get the info online, but its convenient to have in a book.

Ryoga4523
Oct 17, 2006, 04:47 PM
LOL, I bought the PSO strat guide for both DC versions and the GC version... the GC version became useless after a couple of months because of the online updates. I always used them for mag feeding tools, because I always forgot what items increase what stats...

Oxidation
Oct 17, 2006, 04:48 PM
I figure the guide will make good bathroom reading material http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Razorback
Oct 17, 2006, 04:55 PM
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR........RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR im the CoOkIe MoNsTeR

xTATANTULAx
Oct 17, 2006, 05:03 PM
I'm gonna buy one now that you mention it for synth recipes/other random facts I might need.

Kano-Okami
Oct 17, 2006, 05:10 PM
On 2006-10-17 13:42, Pikku wrote:
I got almost every Sonic Team game Strategy Guide... but not for the guide itself. I like the Artwork thats inside the book (I like Sonic Teams artwork ok? >.>)
I found PSO EPIII guide crap and useless... I never got a hold of the PSO Guide though sadly... I wish I wouldve gotten it when I 1st got the game for Dreamcast.....

I feel the same.
I get it for the artwork, and for traveling, when I'm not around the console, I can still get my PSU fix.

Nani-chan
Oct 17, 2006, 05:16 PM
Maybe.

I did read a few of the cut-in-chat posts and failed to do it with the RT (on control) or tab (keyboard) methods.

I am confused on whether a Partner Machine needs Rnged skill or just levels to get better (or if making items increases it's skill).

However, sometimes guides get outdated. It just depends on how fast Psu will be updated.

The other thing are biased opinions.

Therefore probably not, but if a shop sells it, I will look at the pages and see if it is helpful.

Jaleigha
Oct 17, 2006, 05:21 PM
I already pre-ordered the guide. It does make for good bathroom reading but also I can take it to work. I get an hour for lunch and it will give me some PSU fix while I'm at work counting the minutes until I can get home and play.

tonberrylord
Oct 17, 2006, 06:08 PM
hmmm someone needs to create an online database when this comes out. Don't waste your money on Strat guide unless there is artwork (picks up the semi ok art book of KH2) but FFXI and WoW and other MMO's have awesome databases online to look up stuff for reference. Save your money and be patient. online is free http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Zelutos
Oct 17, 2006, 06:09 PM
If it's got an item list/PM list inside, sure, i'll buy one. If not, i'll buy one just for the pretty pictures on the inside.

Valter
Oct 17, 2006, 06:15 PM
hmmm someone needs to create an online database when this comes out. Don't waste your money on Strat guide unless there is artwork (picks up the semi ok art book of KH2) but FFXI and WoW and other MMO's have awesome databases online to look up stuff for reference. Save your money and be patient. online is free What do you mean online database? Something like an FAQ on gamefaqs?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Valter on 2006-10-17 16:17 ]</font>

Lovejuice
Oct 17, 2006, 06:28 PM
I bought the other guides for reasons a few others have given: the art and general collectivity. I always struggle with the notion of an actual static 'guide' for an online game, simply because updates and changes will eventually outstrip the material. A good example of a company managing this issue is Cryptic, developers of City Of Heroes/Villains, who have been known to release additional guide book chapters for free online (they can even be printed and binded if you really wish), the most recent one for update Issue 7 actually fleshing out info in the entire original guide by giving previously 'secret' numbers for powers and such.

Along with such, the internet has pretty much nixed the need for guides for PC-only internet games, y'know, what with the whole "Alt+Tab to <siteofyourchoice>" thing. In the case of PSU on the PC, I can certainly see myself alt-tabbing to a site for info a lot quicker than I can fiddle through a book (outside of directly asking people online for help and that).

Does anyone remember the PSO "Perfect Guide"? Funnily enough, I liked the "Phantasy Star Memories" section - which was a covering of a lot of things Phantasy Star prior to PSO happening - moreso than the actual guide and things.

I'm still clamoring to get that darn PSU promo visual book (and CD), there's a couple on eBay right now that are looking rather ripe for purchase. Although, I'm still waiting to see if a PSU version of the great "Book of Hunters" will ever come to light.

FenixStryk
Oct 17, 2006, 06:35 PM
I'll likely but the official one since it will probably have maps, weapon stats, and PM stats. The MAG stats from the PSO one helped a LOT.

Frog
Oct 17, 2006, 06:43 PM
The PSO guide was worthless, but I liked the art and the maps. I will definitely get the PSU guide. The only other guides I ever seem to purchase are for Elder Scrolls games like Morrowind and Oblivion.

Soundfx4
Oct 17, 2006, 06:57 PM
On 2006-10-17 13:38, Valter wrote:
Just wondering is it worth to get i mean i know that i can find everything online. But at lease for quick reference i think it might be a good idea.

I don't know but I always buy strategy guides anyway http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif they do provide VERY useful information though no matter what your experience (providing that they are well written)

tonberrylord
Oct 17, 2006, 07:05 PM
hmmm by database i mean... nevermind just go here for an example its for ffxi..

http://www.killingifrit.com

Valter
Oct 17, 2006, 07:11 PM
Hmm after looking at the site. I think that is a good idea of an online database. I would love to see something like that. Is there one for the previous PSO games?

d0x
Oct 17, 2006, 07:37 PM
I had the original PSO guide for Dreamcast and it really had no usefull info in it that I couldnt find more organised online. At 1st I would use the mag info but psow ended up having better guides. It did have some decent artwork in it though.

tonberrylord
Oct 17, 2006, 09:08 PM
I can understand for per say offline mode. But talking I a sense of MMO's an ever growing expanding community, a strat guide is very hard because of the updates. A Database would be better off for this. However I'm not sure a database would be the correct term.

StanleyPain
Oct 17, 2006, 09:14 PM
How was the original PSO guide "useless??" It had a complete guide to every offline quest and detailed information on how to obtain most of the special items/weapons from those quests.

Then, it had maps for every online/offline variation of each level which cut down a lot of people's run time. It had a feeding guide for mags and a useful reference to most weapons up to a certain rarity.

Admittedly, the re-issue for V2 and onwards was useless (and there never was a guide for Ep II and onward) as it just rehashed the original guide with no updates, but the DC original when it originally came out was a prized possession for most people tired of the often incorrect or badly organized information that was online.

Jools
Oct 17, 2006, 09:48 PM
The japanese guide covered offline only. Bare that in mind.

sonic_ray
Oct 17, 2006, 10:21 PM
On 2006-10-17 16:28, Lovejuice wrote:

Along with such, the internet has pretty much nixed the need for guides for PC-only internet games, y'know, what with the whole "Alt+Tab to <siteofyourchoice>" thing. In the case of PSU on the PC, I can certainly see myself alt-tabbing to a site for info a lot quicker than I can fiddle through a book (outside of directly asking people online for help and that).

Does anyone remember the PSO "Perfect Guide"? Funnily enough, I liked the "Phantasy Star Memories" section - which was a covering of a lot of things Phantasy Star prior to PSO happening - moreso than the actual guide and things.

I'm still clamoring to get that darn PSU promo visual book (and CD), there's a couple on eBay right now that are looking rather ripe for purchase. Although, I'm still waiting to see if a PSU version of the great "Book of Hunters" will ever come to light.

Just verifying this for myself here, but doesn't alt-tabbing crash the client on fullscreen mode, while using it in windowed mode allows for multitaskind without the need for alt-tab http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif'?

Digressing, I also have the excellent PSO Perfect Guide, and it's a shame to know that Versus Books (a branch of GamePRO, I believe) no longer makes its superior companion pieces. I also own their Grandia II and Majora's Mask Perfect Guides, just for their awesome posters and loads of concept art. Their consistent, eye-catching designs are top-notch too.
That said, I would never purchase a BradyGames guide, because they're just that, a guide; sadly, there are no longer any of those grandiose companion pieces Versus Books used to make, the "Perfect Guides."

Merumeru
Oct 17, 2006, 10:39 PM
On 2006-10-17 13:50, afcakey wrote:
i find guides for online games useless sometimes. At a point that guide will be outdated, while an online database would be up to date.

But hey sometimes i buy them just to have them.

XD seconded, well, i did find the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection guide useful since you can play the game online and it has move lists and good info http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif but most online games info get outdated x.x

DoubleJG
Oct 17, 2006, 11:47 PM
When you say it covered offline, do you mean just story or extra as well?

Genobee
Oct 17, 2006, 11:55 PM
Anything you need to know is on the interwebz.

Losodo1976
Oct 18, 2006, 12:31 AM
On 2006-10-17 13:38, Valter wrote:

Hmm, don't you find strategy guides ruin the game? I never touch 'em. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Bleemo
Oct 18, 2006, 12:37 AM
Hmm, I found that strategy guides can certainly help with things you don't want to look up for over the internet. That's about it for any strategy guide.

I used the old PSO DC strategy guide to hell and back though.

Fin
Oct 18, 2006, 06:24 PM
I ordered it anyways, just because I'm currently obsessed with all things PSU, but just found it odd that there was absolutely no mention of it whatsoever on bradygames.com (publisher.....?)