PDA

View Full Version : My HUnewearl... ;_;

Valatar
Oct 17, 2006, 05:42 PM
It looks like PSU is going to sink my happy little PSO boat. My favored class was HUnewearl and my favorite weapon was the double-saber; I'd run into the middle of a pile of monsters and turn into a cyclone of photon death, using techniques to heal or for ranged attacks against stuff that was tricky to fight up close. I wasn't the hardest hitter, but I was fast and flexible.

Well, the expert classes seem poised explicitly to kick sand in my newearl's face! Only the Figunner gets to use double sabers, and they can't use techniques. This makes me sad.

How much does being capped at level 20 combat skills hurt melee ability? I could go Wartecher, but if their inability to reach the level 30 skills overly gimps their ability to fight I'll just have to give up on techniques entirely and go for the Figunner. It's a shame, the only reason to have a newman hunter was for their techniques, without that ability they're simply inferior hunters now. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Mitz
Oct 17, 2006, 05:44 PM
Figunner is made to be fast and flexible. Who cares about not using techniques, with the right playstyle you won't need those. See this as a challenge and not a mistake.

HolyCecil
Oct 17, 2006, 07:40 PM
On 2006-10-17 15:42, Valatar wrote:
It looks like PSU is going to sink my happy little PSO boat. My favored class was HUnewearl and my favorite weapon was the double-saber; I'd run into the middle of a pile of monsters and turn into a cyclone of photon death, using techniques to heal or for ranged attacks against stuff that was tricky to fight up close. I wasn't the hardest hitter, but I was fast and flexible.

Well, the expert classes seem poised explicitly to kick sand in my newearl's face! Only the Figunner gets to use double sabers, and they can't use techniques. This makes me sad.

How much does being capped at level 20 combat skills hurt melee ability? I could go Wartecher, but if their inability to reach the level 30 skills overly gimps their ability to fight I'll just have to give up on techniques entirely and go for the Figunner. It's a shame, the only reason to have a newman hunter was for their techniques, without that ability they're simply inferior hunters now. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

In wanting to somewhat reproduce your HUnewearl from PSO, it seems like Wartecher is your best bet. They still have S ranks in two weapons and A ranks in other melee weapons. Something tells me being melee-based with level 20 techniques is nothing to sneeze at(I don't know, time will tell if Wartechers are great end-game). The HUnewearl had the weakest ATP of all hunters in PSO, and their magic capability was nothing compared to forces so Wartecher seems to be the path to go if you want to best emulate your HUnewearl.

However, as you said, if you want the dual sabers that bad, it's Figunner http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

FenixStryk
Oct 17, 2006, 07:51 PM
On 2006-10-17 15:44, Rizeru wrote:
Figunner is made to be fast and flexible. Who cares about not using techniques, with the right playstyle you won't need those. See this as a challenge and not a mistake.Wise words, from the guy with the hot RAcaseal avatar. ;p

Pengfishh
Oct 17, 2006, 08:01 PM
Don't be a bitch.

FenixStryk
Oct 17, 2006, 08:03 PM
On 2006-10-17 18:01, Pengfishh wrote:
Don't be a bitch.Uh... huh. Quite possibly the most informative post out there. Anyway...

I personally think that the balancing in PSU was done well. While you may feel some nostalgia abandoning your PSO class for another, it is for the better. Start over on a new leaf, and pick something better. I personally recommend Figunner since it is similar to your old class and still very versatile. However, Fortefighter will work too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FenixStryk on 2006-10-17 18:04 ]</font>

Zeppelin36
Oct 17, 2006, 08:16 PM
idk why so many people are going figunner i mean thier pow isnt as good as fortefighter same with thier hp but i dont think they can use axes. basically if u wanna be more like stelth be a figunner but if u wanna kick some serios ass in 1 swing go for fortefighter.) thier both awsome classes though i was thinking of making a cast figunner. btw u dont really need techniques (the healing ones that is) cuz u find mates at every turn u come to

Mitz
Oct 17, 2006, 08:19 PM
A Newearl with an axe just doesnt seem right to me... XD

DarkShadowX
Oct 17, 2006, 08:22 PM
I myself could personally care less about raping my opponents with a single blow but whatever to each his/her own. I'm still deciding whether or not to be Fortefighter or Figunner, but atm Figunner appeals more to me.

Mitz
Oct 17, 2006, 08:23 PM
On 2006-10-17 17:51, FenixStryk wrote:

Figunner is made to be fast and flexible. Who cares about not using techniques, with the right playstyle you won't need those. See this as a challenge and not a mistake.Wise words, from the guy with the hot RAcaseal avatar. ;p

Thanks n.n;;

Eclypse
Oct 17, 2006, 08:27 PM
Figunner is made to be fast and flexible. Who cares about not using techniques, with the right playstyle you won't need those. See this as a challenge and not a mistake.

That's not the point, the point is that HUnewearls offered you variety and the ability to heal if you didn't find or want a FO character in your party.

This isn't a challenge because it's negating something that was originally placed in the game albeit a different version of Phantasy Star.

SpishackCola
Oct 17, 2006, 08:32 PM
New game, new system. You aren't entitled to everything from previous games in a series.

Valatar
Oct 17, 2006, 08:33 PM
Well, I'm willing to sacrifice the techniques if need be. But it still feels so wrong, the newmen were the definitive technique race, and for them to be unable to use techniques now, it's just weird. Especially since, even in classes with no ability to use a technique, their stats are still sacrificing ATP and ATA for MST. They're handicapped without any sort of compensation. But I suppose Sega never intended for a player to pick a newman for a pure hunter or ranger in PSU, they're expected to go to one of the techer, techer-hybrid classes.

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 17, 2006, 08:34 PM
be what you want, who cares if you're being "wierd" by giving up techs.

Mitz
Oct 17, 2006, 08:35 PM
On 2006-10-17 18:32, SpishackCola wrote:
New game, new system. You aren't entitled to everything from previous games in a series.

Quoted for truth. And Valatar, you can always switch classes if you find the endresult dissapointing.

oNijohso
Oct 17, 2006, 08:48 PM
I feel exactly the same way. Id rather they just drop the class system and let players and allow them a certain number of s ranks, certain a ranks and after they decided those then allow them 50-60 points to decided how high they want bullet/skill/tech levels to go. Meh, that would of been way better and probably easier to program.

AlphaMinotaux
Oct 17, 2006, 08:49 PM
basically this isnt PSO

Emrald
Oct 17, 2006, 08:55 PM
Bah expert classes ALL suck! I'm using three pure characters and MAYBE a fourth expert...highly unlikely

Mitz
Oct 17, 2006, 08:58 PM
Pure?

Sgt_Shligger
Oct 17, 2006, 09:17 PM
Forte-<Force,Ranger,Hunter> would be pure I take it. Go Wartecher. You miss out on double sabers, so what? Techs are amazing now. Even if you don't use the attack techs, use the support techs. . . There so nice.

All in all, I am personally going Ranewearl ForteGunner.

Feyz
Oct 17, 2006, 09:28 PM
Valatar, I think wartecher is closest to a HUnewearl, ability-wise.

If you think about, HUne's were the 'weakest' HU in PSO (in terms of ATP and ATA and HP) but they had the best tech-use of the HU's. Being a 20 HU/20 FU hybrid (wartecher) seems like a pretty good blend.

As someone else pointed out, they do get to use 2 different s-ranks, and from what I've read they're among the better weapons to have in s-rank for a HU.

Anyways... hope you find something you enjoy to play!

Sgt_Shligger
Oct 17, 2006, 09:34 PM
http://synbios.net/games/PSU/wartecher.jpg
Thank Parn.

Well, I owuldn't say the better of the weapons. It is a wide variety though. Hell, you go techs, long range bows, homing cards/slicers and a decnet array of melee weapons.

Valatar
Oct 17, 2006, 09:43 PM
As I mentioned in the OP though, what does the Wartecher lose by only getting up to level 20 in their weapon skills? How badly is their ability to beat things up hurt by missing those ten levels that the Fortehunters and Figunners get?

Sgt_Shligger
Oct 17, 2006, 09:45 PM
Not much. The second PA's are more for fun. They are helpful but you really odn't need them. . . As I look into the weapon choices for the classes, I am having more and more trouble. Wartechers get so many weapon types. It's arguable they are as versitile and the FiGunner.

ForteGunner, Watecher, Guntecher >_>;;

Kent
Oct 17, 2006, 09:59 PM
By losing those last ten levels from Skills, you miss out on the extra power/attacks that are added onto the PA combo. For the Bullets, you get pretty low status effect levels (I believe, in both their chances of success as well as potency), as well as only two projectiles with the Card weapons (levels 11 and 21, I think, give an extra projectile per attack for Card weapons - possibly another at 30?).

But in return, you get level 20 techniques, which will undoubtedly prove rather handy.

Silver_Wyrm
Oct 17, 2006, 10:01 PM
Always loved my Hunew so much http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif guess its just time to move on, new game, new ideas.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silver_Wyrm on 2006-10-17 20:02 ]</font>